• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Always wanted to give The Division a try, but thought it'd be too time-consuming. And I'm playing Morrowind now. Still a bummer the game is leaving now.
The Division is pretty quick and easy to get into. I remember being pleasantly surprised at how intuitive the UI was and just how fun it was to play through the game's campaign by myself.

I definitely recommend trying it out before it leaves Game Pass!

Jan 1, 2018
I just finished Life is Strange 1 for the second time thanks to GamePass. Have it on steam and beat it when episode 5 first came out. This time played with my boss so he could get some of the experience of it.

He said that if the game comes to Nintendo Switch he'll probably buy the game. I will too, this game is honestly a GOAT.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Ashen not available for Game Pass on PC?

Because Epic bought a last minute deal to have the game on their store instead, nullifying (at least for now) the Play Anywhere initiative which was being advertised up until like 24 hours before the game came out. Yeah, shitty moves all around, I don't see a lot of people subbing just because Ashen was coming out but it's definitely misleading to say the least, and a dick move to wait until the very last moment to effectively cancel a feature that was actively advertised.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Hellblade last night. Fuck me that felt like a bit of a slog. Boring door puzzles, a combat system that doesn't feel good at all when there's more than one enemy, and, quite frankly, an uninteresting story.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
Probably been asked in the previous 92 pages (it's a lot to go through) - what is the best way of signing up?

Do the 14 day trial, cancel before it finishes, then sign up for the $1 month deal?

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017

You can also do what I do/did.

Like SuikerBrood said, do the 1 month trial, and turn on auto-renew so you get another month free.

But my routine at work is to go through the Microsoft/Bing Rewards "activities" every day at the start of work. Takes 5 or so minutes. But I basically just accumulate points through those "activities" to redeem for free Game pass subscriptions. I'm not sure of the U.S. and other regions, but in Canada, 3 months of game pass can be redeemed for 17,000 points. And so far I've redeemed that twice. So I'm subbed all the way to June 2019 without paying any money for Game Pass directly. Two free months for the trial, and six free months from redeeming rewards points.

You get points for actually buying games too, so that helps. I bought a bunch of indie games like JJ Macfield, Gorogoa, the Shadow of the Tomb Raider season pass, etc... which helped me more quickly get those free subs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I tell

Like SuikerBrood said, do the 1 month trial, and turn on auto-renew so you get another month free.

But my routine at work is to go through the Microsoft/Bing Rewards "activities" every day at the start of work. Takes 5 or so minutes. But I basically just accumulate points through those "activities" to redeem for free Game pass subscriptions. I'm not sure of the U.S. and other regions, but in Canada, 3 months of game pass can be redeemed for 17,000 points. And so far I've redeemed that twice. So I'm subbed all the way to June 2019 without paying any money for Game Pass directly. Two free months for the trial, and six free months from redeeming rewards points.

You get points for actually buying games too, so that helps (I bought a bunch of indie games like JJ Macfield, Gorogoa, the Shadow of the Tomb Raider season pass, etc... which helped me more quickly get those free subs.

Unfortunately, in Europe it's still pretty shit. You get points for buying stuff, which is basically the only reason I'm gaining. At first when you register you can accumulate about 120 points for doing all kinds of stuff for the first time. After which, there will be a link you can click on every couple days for a whopping 10 points. And the prices are the same. It only really means something here if you spend a lot on Xbox already, which I do, which means that every couple months I can afford a 5-10 Euros gift card or a month or three of Game Pass (the latter takes longer unless I spend like crazy though). It's not really the same as the U.S., where I've been hearing for many years how people would effectively pay their yearly Live Gold in a few months simply with a couple Bing searches per day.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
Can I tell

You get points for actually buying games too, so that helps (I bought a bunch of indie games like JJ Macfield, Gorogoa, the Shadow of the Tomb Raider season pass, etc... which helped me more quickly get those free subs.

Ok nice - I'm on board for the reward points, will check out using them to redeem game pass. Thanks.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly does this work? Turning on auto-renew gives you a free month?

I have not seen this with Gamepass, but I did myself with XBL Gold. Basically when you are in your account page (not sure if you can do it on the console, I used the website on Windows), go to manage your subscription. As long as it is set to NOT auto-renew, if you extend it (I extended it with 3 month XBL Gold cards) it prompts you "Hey, turn auto-renew on and we'll give you a free month!". So I imagine it works the same for Gamepass.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That Rewards thing is pretty cool. Might get me to try stuff I normally would have just looked right past. For points, I'll give it a shot. :)

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
To be honest, Aftercharge looks like a game that nobody would buy and play if it wouldn't be in GamePass, at least for me it looks really unappealing and mediocre, but maybe with GP it can find its audience, who knows.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, Aftercharge looks like a game that nobody would buy and play if it wouldn't be in GamePass, at least for me it looks really unappealing and mediocre, but maybe with GP it can find its audience, who knows.

Gave it a try. It's okay. Seems like a game destined for game pass.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Below has the same problem that made me give up on Mummy Remastered. You have to corpse run to get your better weapons and armor back, which means you need to get back to your corpse with base weapons and armor. Even with shortcuts it can be tough.

I'm not giving up on it yet (I even restarted the game once to be more efficient) but it's annoying.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Since when is Elder Scrolls Online in Game Pass?

EDIT: Seems like for a longer time already, damn why did I miss this. There is really so much to play right now it's crazy.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So huh, my xbox just installed two game by itself? Got home, turned it on and was greeted with a message saying that Dex and Soul Axiom had been installed. What?

I own both games but haven't installed them yet. I have no idea what is going on here.

Sorry for offtopic. Didn't feel this needed a thread and didn't know where else to put it.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
So huh, my xbox just installed two game by itself? Got home, turned it on and was greeted with a message saying that Dex and Soul Axiom had been installed. What?

I own both games but haven't installed them yet. I have no idea what is going on here.

Did you buy them from the website or something? Sounds like they were remotely triggered to be installed, which I think happens by default when you buy something from the store website. Unless you bought them a while back, in which case I have no idea.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you buy them from the website or something? Sounds like they were remotely triggered to be installed, which I think happens by default when you buy something from the store website. Unless you bought them a while back, in which case I have no idea.

No, i bought them on the console, along with a couple of other games. About a week ago or so. My first thought was something along what you've said, and my second thought was to check my transactions to see if anything fishy was going on :\ everything seems to be ok though. Weird. Something triggered the download and i can't imagine what.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So that makes ripping off another game okay? From what Ive read, Solomon isn't happy about it.

Also, source on the "spiritual successor" statement?

Phoenix Point is the new strategy game from the creator of the original X-COM series. It features turn based tactics and world based strategy in a fight against a terrifying, alien menace.

https://geekreply.com/geek-culture/2017/04/29/phoenix-point-spiritual-successor-x-com-can-backed-fig

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point/about?media_id=207

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the creator of XCOM is ripping off his own idea
This has gotta be some C-tier trolling or another "tales from my ass".

Huh, I read something in the PC gaming thread about him not being happy.

My mistake.

Still, doesn't look as good as XCOM 2 from what Ive seen. I feel every game, like Phantom Doctrine, that tries the XCOM formula kinda fails in comparison to XCOM 2.

Edit: Seems like I simply didn't know who Gollop was, only read this tweet:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Huh, I read something in the PC gaming thread about him not being happy.

My mistake.

Still, doesn't look as good as XCOM 2 from what Ive seen. I feel every game, like Phantom Doctrine, that tries the XCOM formula kinda fails in comparison to XCOM 2.

Which could be as much a testimony to the quality of XCOM 2 than it is disregarding Phoenix Point. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.