• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Legit thought about buying trackmania for that same reason, though I've wanted to try the forza series for a long time now so I think this just makes me bite the bullet. Sucks that I can't find any good sales for FH3 though.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I have a question about this service since when I went to look up a FAQ it kind of confused me a bit.

I see that there are a lot of games on the microsoft store that apparently you can play on your PC as well.

I was thinking about buying Forza Horizon 3 along with that hotwheels DLC. I saw somebody mention about getting the xbox game pass service since it's apparently cheaper than buying the game on the store.

Would it be possible to play Forza Horizon 3 with this service on PC? I saw that the game is available on PC so I thought it would be possible to use this service for it.

• I wouldn't say "a lot", the game has to be both Play Anywhere (https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/games/xbox-play-anywhere) and Gamepass, so the list is a bit small right now. But they are committed to growing it to make Gamepass worthwhile for PC only subscribers. As it is right now, Gamepass is only worth it if you have an Xbox, but if you have a Windows gaming PC as well the Play Anywhere titles are a really nice bonus.
  • A nice benefit (side effect?) to this, is that you can play multiplayer with people in your house with Gamepass. For example, my son can play Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox and I can join him on the PC version, both downloaded via Gamepass. This has been really great.
  • Forza Horizon 3 is not on Gamepass (and I imagine it never will be, or it would have been by now). The good news is you can buy it relatively cheap. However, if you are serious about the purchase I stongly encourage you to buy the Hotwheels DLC now, as it is part of the Countdown sale and is currently sitting around $6 CAD. I've found that it is fairly rare that the DLC goes on sale, if you miss it now, it might be another 6-10 months to see it again for that price.
  • The other thing to consider with Gamepass, is those games do not come with DLC. They are the base/standard version of the game to encourage you to buy the DLC since you got the game for "free". So even if Forza Horizon 3 was on Gamepass, you would still need to buy Hotwheels for it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legit thought about buying trackmania for that same reason, though I've wanted to try the forza series for a long time now so I think this just makes me bite the bullet. Sucks that I can't find any good sales for FH3 though.

Slightly off topic I guess but I still suggest buying TrackMania on Xbox, easy enough to find for 20 bucks or less and has shittons of content. Very different game from Forza so both are worth it.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic I guess but I still suggest buying TrackMania on Xbox, easy enough to find for 20 bucks or less and has shittons of content. Very different game from Forza so both are worth it.
Which of the trackmania though? There are so many!
  • I wouldn't say "a lot", the game has to be both Play Anywhere (https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/games/xbox-play-anywhere) and Gamepass, so the list is a bit small right now. But they are committed to growing it to make Gamepass worthwhile for PC only subscribers. As it is right now, Gamepass is only worth it if you have an Xbox, but if you have a Windows gaming PC as well the Play Anywhere titles are a really nice bonus.
  • A nice benefit (side effect?) to this, is that you can play multiplayer with people in your house with Gamepass. For example, my son can play Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox and I can join him on the PC version, both downloaded via Gamepass. This has been really great.
  • Forza Horizon 3 is not on Gamepass (and I imagine it never will be, or it would have been by now). The good news is you can buy it relatively cheap. However, if you are serious about the purchase I stongly encourage you to buy the Hotwheels DLC now, as it is part of the Countdown sale and is currently sitting around $6 CAD. I've found that it is fairly rare that the DLC goes on sale, if you miss it now, it might be another 6-10 months to see it again for that price.
  • The other thing to consider with Gamepass, is those games do not come with DLC. They are the base/standard version of the game to encourage you to buy the DLC since you got the game for "free". So even if Forza Horizon 3 was on Gamepass, you would still need to buy Hotwheels for it.

I see, I saw that the DLC was on sale and that's what prompted me to look for the full game as well. Didn't know about that base game only part for the gamepass though. I'm going to try and find somewhere that is selling for a good price, from what I keep seeing FH4 seems to have a bigger discount that 3 at the moment sadly.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Hoping for some Play Anywhere releases in January. Ashen and We Happy Few would be fantastic. :)

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Has this come to PC yet? I don't have a One and am heavily considering it for some PC gaming to catch up on some other games.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
The power of game pass: it took me ~8 years to get to 100.000 gamerscore. It took 1 year (this one) to get to 150.000. Insane.

(Though at the end there were some questionable game choices, I must add. :) )

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Has this come to PC yet? I don't have a One and am heavily considering it for some PC gaming to catch up on some other games.

Not yet.

Some games work through play anywhere, but it hasn't been announced yet.

I do expect it to come, and believe it might be tied to the new windows / Xbox store front that they are working on.... Probably because they want to fix those problems first before inviting more criticism to it and turning people away from the game pass value proposition.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Beat mutant year zero, first turn based strategy game I've ever liked well enough to finish. Ran into some pretty brutal audio bugs towards the end and one encounter where the framerate dropped to probably 5 frames a second. Really enjoyed my time with it despite the bugs but I wish the ending was more impactful since most of the reveals were pretty obvious.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
I have an Xbox One X. Thinking about trying Game Pass.
Do it. Game Pass and backwards compatibility got me to buy a One X after selling my OG Xbox One a long time ago. You can get a month for a $1 right now, and I'm pretty sure it'll offer another month for free if you enable recurring billing (which you can then cancel).

BTW, the one year for $70 deal is back in stock at Amazon. I've got four years stocked up now, so I'll be covered at least part way into next generation. XD

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So dead rising 2 and 3 are on gamepass, should I play the first game before 2 and 3?
You don't really have to. The stories are only loosely connected, you'll be able to follow it just fine. That being said I think a lot of people consider the first one the best

I have an Xbox One X. Thinking about trying Game Pass.
Join MS rewards and spend 2 minutes a day clicking through bing and you'll be able to get Game Pass for free. I've gotten a year of Game Pass and haven't spent a dime on it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Join MS rewards and spend 2 minutes a day clicking through bing and you'll be able to get Game Pass for free*

*On selected regions, mostly the US

Rewards for most of the world sucks ass. I'm using it daily since it started and i bought a 15R$ gift card last month. Less than half than a month GP sub

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised that Inside and Firewatch have not been on Game Pass, GWG, or PS+. I think it's time (and I've been waiting to play them).

Other good additions would be What Remains of Edith Finch, Tacoma, Sonic Mania, or Cuphead. As a horror fan, I'd love Outlast 2.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that Inside and Firewatch have not been on Game Pass, GWG, or PS+. I think it's time (and I've been waiting to play them).

Other good additions would be What Remains of Edith Finch, Tacoma, Sonic Mania, or Cuphead. As a horror fan, I'd love Outlast 2.

I've been hoping for Sonic Mania also. I'd be glad to try Edith Finch or Tacoma, too.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Glad Hellblade showed up, got to play it for $1! Story and concepts were dope, got tired of the combat after the first hour or 2.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I see that some retailers give away steelbooks with a purchase of Game Pass (presumably only 6 months).

Dvr0Gp1XgAUsg7d.jpg

Source:https://twitter.com/IdleSloth1984/status/1079443464687882240

It seems that Game Mania (Belgian/Dutch game retailer) is giving one for each purchase of a 6-month prepaid Game Pass card.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to start the install or is it just automatically there? I'm looking at the store on console and not seeing episode 2.

It was just an update for the game. They did a really weird job on this game. If looking at the game it's not split into episodes. Even the achievement list is a complete cluster of some you can unlock now and others you can't. No way to tell which ones you can get now until you get them. It's not that great of a game imo, but I'll keep playing since it's game pass anyway.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It was just an update for the game. They did a really weird job on this game. If looking at the game it's not split into episodes. Even the achievement list is a complete cluster of some you can unlock now and others you can't. No way to tell which ones you can get now until you get them. It's not that great of a game imo, but I'll keep playing since it's game pass anyway.

I really enjoy episodic games in general, but yeah I agree this one isn't great.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Befofe the Storm, it was awesome. Rachel Amber was such a cool character.

Also, shoutout to Steph, loved her for some reason.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Played a few hours of Ori earlier as a lttp...I was not prepared for how gob smackingly detailed and gorgeous it is. I'd seen a few videos but playing it myself for awhile and letting the atmosphere really seep in made me realize how lovingly crafted this game is. The fact that so many things are constantly animated and shifting in the foreground and background whether it be flora or fauna makes the world feel that much more alive. Getting great vibes of Nausicaa and Secret of Nimh based on the themes and world design. Pretty sure I haven't scratched the surface of this one and am already hyped for Will of the Wisps lol.

In somewhat related news...have been underwhelmed by my main TV's general IQ performance lately (in particular its dirty screen effect and lack of image pop) and missing gaming on my old plasma so decided to use the streaming feature built into the Xbox/W10 and been playing on the latter in the spare room. Was skeptical about the streaming performance compared to the Steam Link, and while it isn't as solid as that it is still fairly impressive to my eyes. Faster gameplay, in particular full 3d games definitely have a bit of input lag and stutter but nothing extreme. But yeah such night and day with the contrast ratio on my plasma, really shines for things with a stylized or painterly quality to the art style (ie Ori). I feel so much more immersed with it and it's 720p and about 15 inches lower in screen size than the main 4k set. Black levels, color accuracy, and video processing really reign supreme for my brain it seems. Most of this rambling boils down to 'God I wish I could afford an oled' :/

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get what the hell the devs of Thief of Thieves are playing at. All 4 episodes released on the PC with the last being in July. For this Xbox One release they've only given us the first episode with 2-4 coming later. It's been almost 8 weeks since the release and not even a sight of episode 2. You would have thought given all 4 episodes were released on the PC months ago they would all come out together for the Xbox One release.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get what the hell the devs of Thief of Thieves are playing at. All 4 episodes released on the PC with the last being in July. For this Xbox One release they've only given us the first episode with 2-4 coming later. It's been almost 8 weeks since the release and not even a sight of episode 2. You would have thought given all 4 episodes were released on the PC months ago they would all come out together for the Xbox One release.
I'm theorizing here, but I'd suspect Microsoft has asked that they release an episode a month to test out episodic content on GamePass to see how it affects engagement.

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
The second episode is out.

I gave up playing it early on. Too much jank.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm theorizing here, but I'd suspect Microsoft has asked that they release an episode a month to test out episodic content on GamePass to see how it affects engagement.
That would make a lot more sense for sure. Fair thinking.
The second episode is out.

I gave up playing it early on. Too much jank.
Oh wow, that was out of nowhere. Not even the description of the game has changed. I agree the game kinda sucks but I'll give it a shot anyway, quite liked the way the story was told in the first ep.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
That would make a lot more sense for sure. Fair thinking.

Oh wow, that was out of nowhere. Not even the description of the game has changed. I agree the game kinda sucks but I'll give it a shot anyway, quite liked the way the story was told in the first ep.
The style is good. The execution is OK. But for the first ep, I did enjoy replaying it using a different approach to reach the end. First I was a Pool employee, second I was the Help for the home. I'm thinking of trying it without wearing a disguise at all to see if it's possible.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So we still don't know what's coming?

I think this happened before one month didn't it? I know some people ended up searching games on the market place just find out what was available through game pass once the 1st hit.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
So we still don't know what's coming?

I think this happened before one month didn't it? I know some people ended up searching games on the market place just find out what was available through game pass once the 1st hit.

it happened with Games With Gold but I don't think it happened with Gamepass, it'll be tagged and show up in the store filter but there might not be a fanfare for it

Status
Not open for further replies.