• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Damn i was led to believe that Ori was somewhat easy, but it kicks your ass and is very difficult in the later half. i think im around 2/3 done.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure the expiry listed is when your sub expires, not when the offer expires.

But anyway, the deals still there for me so it might show up again for you?
I'm pretty sure it was referring to the offer.

Still, I'll wait and see if it shows uo again, it's strange tho, they need to do a better job at comunicating these offers and who is eligible.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Only those escape sequences gave me trouble.

Amazing game though, wish it got an HDR update. Give me a reason to go through again.
Hmm well ij ust beat it, 9hours 28min. Dumb thing is i finished the last sequence, and then it froze on me, so i had to do it twice.

Heres hoping will of the wisp have less or non of these runners sequences. Though that game is looking more like hollow knight. Also i felt like i was pretty thorough in my playthrough but im missing sooo much shiet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade - please tell me that not every stage is those door changing reality puzzles, as they are annoying as f*ck and I'm still only working on the first door?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got some bad news....lol. Yeah its pretty rote stuff but I felt was worth it for the ending and general enemy/boss progression.

Thanks. It's a shame as I'm loving everything else about it, even the combat, which has had mixed reviews on here. If you go back through the doorway, does it reset the changes made do you know?

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I have a question. I don't own Sunset Overdrive but I have GP sub. Can I buy the season pass and play the dlcs without actually owning the game?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade - please tell me that not every stage is those door changing reality puzzles, as they are annoying as f*ck and I'm still only working on the first door?

No, there are different puzzles to get through. I assume this is the stage with Valravn? I actually liked those puzzles and how they were handled quite a bit. They were not overly difficult, but not too simple either. And the visual effect of the portals and illusion of Valravn I thought were quite nicely done.

At any rate, no, all of the puzzles are not like that. There are some differences, but there is only one other section later in the game where the puzzles have somewhat similar mechanics but I think would be considered a bit harder.

I thought pretty much all of Hellblade was excellent, and there were few (if any) parts I found annoying. The only thing I didn't care for that much was the concept that if you die enough times, your save game is deleted and you have to start over. This sounds interesting on paper, but this game is 6-8 hours long. While the first 2/3 of it are not particularly challenging (I think I died only one time), there are some instant-death sequences and combat gauntlets later in the game where I died repeatedly. So while it is a "neat" mechanic, I simply don't have time to have to start a game over at the 6 hour mark or later because I fell out of the rhythm of the combat or something.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
I really didn't like the puzzles in hellblade, made me quit altogether.
The whole "okay, you found this door, now it's locked and you have to backtrack to find these random shapes in specific places" thing lost me real quick. When I thought it was finally over and instead the game dropped a door with 3 instead of 2 symbols, I just quit.

I love the idea of the game, the design, all that yadda yadda, but my god these puzzles that make you just jog around the map are really not cool.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "okay, you found this door, now it's locked and you have to backtrack to find these random shapes in specific places" thing lost me real quick. When I thought it was finally over and instead the game dropped a door with 3 instead of 2 symbols, I just quit.

I love the idea of the game, the design, all that yadda yadda, but my god these puzzles that make you just jog around the map are really not cool.

Yep, and these days I drop games quick if they're aggravating me in this sense.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
No, there are different puzzles to get through. I assume this is the stage with Valravn? I actually liked those puzzles and how they were handled quite a bit. They were not overly difficult, but not too simple either. And the visual effect of the portals and illusion of Valravn I thought were quite nicely done.

At any rate, no, all of the puzzles are not like that. There are some differences, but there is only one other section later in the game where the puzzles have somewhat similar mechanics but I think would be considered a bit harder.

I thought pretty much all of Hellblade was excellent, and there were few (if any) parts I found annoying. The only thing I didn't care for that much was the concept that if you die enough times, your save game is deleted and you have to start over. This sounds interesting on paper, but this game is 6-8 hours long. While the first 2/3 of it are not particularly challenging (I think I died only one time), there are some instant-death sequences and combat gauntlets later in the game where I died repeatedly. So while it is a "neat" mechanic, I simply don't have time to have to start a game over at the 6 hour mark or later because I fell out of the rhythm of the combat or something.
That never really happens, its a lie they tell you to put you in the right mindset for the game: "A large part of the game is about fear, and a large part of mental illness – psychosis in particular – is about fear," Antoniades explains. "I was speaking to one fellow who described it as a fear of death. This was one person – I don't want to generalise to everyone – but in this particular case, during [psychosis] episodes, there was a palpable fear that he was going to die. So that's what we wanted to try to find an analog for in the game."

Nov 1, 2017
That never really happens, its a lie they tell you to put you in the right mindset for the game: "A large part of the game is about fear, and a large part of mental illness – psychosis in particular – is about fear," Antoniades explains. "I was speaking to one fellow who described it as a fear of death. This was one person – I don't want to generalise to everyone – but in this particular case, during [psychosis] episodes, there was a palpable fear that he was going to die. So that's what we wanted to try to find an analog for in the game."

This might be one of my favourite things about the game. I somehow did not know that this was just a bluff and after dying a few times and seeing Senua's arm half black i panicked and put the game on easy mode. I still died a few times because it happens and every time it put me on edge. Using a game mechanic (or what you think is a perceived game mechanic to be precise) is a great way of incorporating the experience they were going for in a way that can only be done in this medium.

The "find the random shape" puzzles didnt exactly thrill me but they were easy enough that i found them mostly inoffensive. I mean, the glyph stands out when you are in the right spot so mostly i just jogged around looking for the rough shape and then having a proper scan of the environment when i found the right location of it.

Hellblade was for me the perfect example of a very enjoyable game that i'm glad i played that I probably wouldn't have without it being free on Game Pass.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Kingdom Two Crowns was a sidescroller when I tried it. Talk about completely defying expectation...
I love its minimalist approach to city building game. Everyone should try it!!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Do I have to finish shadow warrior before shadow warrior 2

And yeah I know it's shadow warrior and the story is probably ridiculously unimportant and played for laughs. Still curious if there's continuity tho

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Just tried Hellblade and man what a visually stunning game with an interesting concept. Really like the story as well. The game evokes a weird feeling of making me feel constantly uneasy. The whispering voices and atmosphere is so damn thick I don't think I've played a game in quite some time feels like it almost smothers you.

Also they go all in on the deaths, when you get the rot for the first time and you have the forced death the animations (the long stare into the camera) combined with the stellar voice acting, I almost had to look away it felt real.

Great work and I'm glad that NInja theory is now on Ms's bankroll, hopefully we get something like Hellblade but with an increased budget and some expansions on the core gameplay.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Oh wow, these Sunset Overdrive DLCs are really short, huh? Finished the Mooil one in an hour. Oh well, I only paid like 4 dollars for the season pass anyway.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I tried Shadow Warrior 2 and it seems like a good game, but wow is it blurry looking. Guess it never got X enhanced. GamePass did its part though and now maybe I'll get the PC version.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So what games do you guys predict will be coming to gamepass soon/in the future?

My predictions:

We happy few.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Dead Rising 1 and Dead Rising 4.
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2.
Tyranny.
Forza Horizon 3.
Forza Motosport 7.
Killer Instinct.
Guacamelee 2
Gears Tactics
Age of Empires 1,2,3 and 4. So Age of Empires collection.
Contrast.
The Bard's Tale 2.
Darksiders 3.
Biomutant.
Torment Tides of Numenera.
The outer worlds.
Fallout New Vegas.
Plus all the already announced MS studios games.

There are some more I believe are coming but those are the ones I'm sure about. with the possible exception of biomutant, not saying the unreleased games will launch on gamepass, but eventually they'll be there.

Last edited:

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I tried Shadow Warrior 2 and it seems like a good game, but wow is it blurry looking. Guess it never got X enhanced. GamePass did its part though and now maybe I'll get the PC version.

Game is amazing fun. But I know what you mean. Just go into settings and turn off film grain, chromatic aberration and depth of field makes it much less blurry.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
So what games do you guys predict will be coming to gamepass soon/in the future?

My predictions:

We happy few.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Dead Rising 1 and Dead Rising 4.
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2.
Tyranny.
Forza Horizon 3.
Forza Motosport 7.
Killer Instinct.
Guacamelee 2
Gears Tactics
Age of Empires 3
Contrast.
The Bard's Tale 2.
Darksiders 3.
Biomutant.
Torment Tides of Numenera.
The outer worlds.
Plus all the already announced MS studios games.

There are some more I believe are coming but those are the ones I'm sure about. with the possible exception of biomutant, not saying the unreleased games will launch on gamepass, but eventually they'll be there.

Maybe new vegas can get added now instead of just fallout 3

Would bet on some dishonored games or prey as well

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
just started it and went to play something else, guess i'll go back eventually

is it more like layers of fear or more like the layers of fear DLC? because good god that was terrible while base LoF had some interesting parts

I'm not too familiar with their previous work.

Detective mode then this cool neural interrogation / dream eater thing which I would simply describe as horror puzzle moments similar in design/ simpler to re7/ PT but with the cyberpunk aesthetic

Pretty stimulating stuff

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Not sure if older Forza games will come to Gamepass. Could be some licensing issues.

Wondering if Minecraft will ever come to the service (even tho you can buy that game for really cheap)

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Hey, so I got my Dad and Sister (55, and 14) an Xbox One for Christmas with a year of Game Pass.
Wondering who has game recommendations for either of these two demographics.

My dad was big on videogames from NES-PS1 eras, and slowed down a lot after that, but still had PS2, Wii, 360. He's into basically anything that isn't an FPS or an RPG.
Sister on the other hand, isn't big into gaming much at all, outside of Minecraft. Big into SciFi stuff (Dr Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR)

I have a couple of recommendations in mind, but am definitely looking for a bunch.
Thanks!

EDIT: Here are the things I'm recommending
Abzu
Dandara
Forza Horizon 4
Guacamelee!
Hue
Human Fall Flat
Limbo
Ori and the Blind Forest
Quantum Break
ReCore
Rime
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Soulcalibur 2 HD
Super Lucky's Tale
The Swapper
Thomas Was Alone

Last edited:

Harle

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I got my Dad and Sister (55, and 14) an Xbox One for Christmas with a year of Game Pass.

My dad was big on videogames from NES-PS1 eras, and slowed down a lot after that, but still had PS2, Wii, 360. He's into basically anything that isn't an FPS or an RPG.
Sister on the other hand, isn't big into gaming much at all, outside of Minecraft. Big into SciFi stuff (Dr Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR)

I have a couple of recommendations in mind, but am definitely looking for a bunch.
Thanks!

You said that your dad isn't into FPS, but man, I have to recommend Doom. Didn't think I would like a FPS on console until Doom came to my life.

Recore is really good, and Rime is just beautiful.

It's not on game pass, but if you think they need a coop game, Overcooked seems the best choice.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
You said that your dad isn't into FPS, but man, I have to recommend Doom. Didn't think I would like a FPS on console until Doom came to my life.

Recore is really good, and Rime is just beautiful.

It's not on game pass, but if you think they need a coop game, Overcooked seems the best choice.

Thanks for the recommendations, I agree that Doom is amazing, but my dad just can't do FPS games, he gets motion sick really bad.
I have the other 3 in my recommendations already, guess it would make sense for me to post mine. I'll edit my Original post with my list

Overcooked is on Gamepass from the list I looked at BTW.

Thanks a lot though!

Harle

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations, I agree that Doom is amazing, but my dad just can't do FPS games, he gets motion sick really bad.
I have the other 3 in my recommendations already, guess it would make sense for me to post mine. I'll edit my Original post with my list

Overcooked is on Gamepass from the list I looked at BTW.

Thanks a lot though!

Oh, that's a shame.

Your list it's good, but overcooked was removed from game pass months ago, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 too, and Injustice is gonna be removed on December 31.

The only thing I could recommend that's not on your list is The Swapper, great puzzle game.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Oh, that's a shame.

Your list it's good, but overcooked was removed from game pass months ago, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 too, and Injustice is gonna be removed on December 31.

The only thing I could recommend that's not on your list is The Swapper, great puzzle game.

Good to know, I'll remove those. Tekken is unfortunate, he loved them in the past. I have a physical copy for 360, so I'll probably just give it to him. Added The Swapper as well.

Thanks again!

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!

EDIT: Here are the things I'm recommending

Ori should be at the top of your list, for both your dad and sister.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Ori should be at the top of your list, for both your dad and sister.

Agree with Ori. I'm supposed to be finishing up things I want to consider for my end of year list, and I am replaying it instead right now. Just one thing to note, it might be a little hard for your sister. If your dad played some of the harder 2D platformer NES games, difficulty should not be a problem.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just tried Hellblade and man what a visually stunning game with an interesting concept. Really like the story as well. The game evokes a weird feeling of making me feel constantly uneasy. The whispering voices and atmosphere is so damn thick I don't think I've played a game in quite some time feels like it almost smothers you.

Also they go all in on the deaths, when you get the rot for the first time and you have the forced death the animations (the long stare into the camera) combined with the stellar voice acting, I almost had to look away it felt real.

Great work and I'm glad that NInja theory is now on Ms's bankroll, hopefully we get something like Hellblade but with an increased budget and some expansions on the core gameplay.

Yeah I played about 10 mins of Hellblade through Game Pass, and it's really interesting. I will definitely go back to it in the New Year, but that's not really the vibe I'm looking for in the Christmas season. The whispers in my ears were driving me a bit crazy too haha.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not liking Shadow Warrior 2 at all. Also, it looks bad on the Xbox. The best game this month is Ashen. I've been really enjoying my time with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.