• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
After a massive Windows 10 update I applied earlier this week, the Xbox app was no longer running on launch. Today I attempted to launch it manually, but am met with a completely non-reactive black window with nothing to interact with or click on. I then attempt to repair the app, which completed, but still ran into the same issue when I tried to launch the app again. After that, I reset the app from the app settings, which also didn't change anything.

Fuck, okay, I'll just uninstall the Xbox app and reinstall it. Thus, I uninstall it and redownload the installer from the Microsoft website, but the installer does not work. It soft locks when I click "Install" after agreeing to the terms, with no visible progress, nothing else to click on, can't move the window, etc.

Okay, fine. The Xbox app is in the Microsoft Store. I'll just install it from that. So I visit the MS Store and see a Game Pass ad front and center, click on it and am directed to the product page for the Xbox app, click to it Install it aaaaand..

The MS Store app crashes.

What the fuck, Microsoft. I was at least able to log into my Xbox account on the MS website and cancel my payment, but my ass is thoroughly chapped at this whole scenario.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I had this same issue. I ended up cancelling because when it finally did end up working again, it could not detect any of my hard drives. It told me I had no hard drives; I have 8 in my computer right now.

Unfortunately the MS Store and Gamepass PC interface are just not great. If they improve it I'll be back on board easy.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
User warned (permanent threadban): platform warring, useless drive-by
its time to buy an Xbox Series X console :) much more easy to use.

OP
OP
SirKai

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

Ratchet-is-Disappoint.gif

That's very strange Indeed, can only imagine the frustration.

Do games you've already installed with the app before still work?

Afraid not. It just brings me to the Gaming Services page on the Microsoft Store app, which is also tells me is already installed.
0a45003e81de321546b3546fa25db21a.png

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's not any more helpful than telling people to buy a PC in threads where people are upset about game performance issues on console, to buy an Xbox because their Switch broke, or telling people to buy another console because of a moneyhat.

Microsoft simply needs to fix their shit on PC and stop obsessing over forcing everything to use the flakey UWP platform.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I also had the unfortunate event of having a game update and then it stops seeing the files. I can dig into the drive files system and see the files right there, but it won't read them. I have to delete the files in windows safe mode, and reinstall, then it will see the game again.

I really hope they put more people on dev.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
anytime the winstore/Xbox app just flat out stops working for me I figure it is probably my registry going bad so I just re-install Windows fresh.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Do a full disk cleanup and then search for the PowerShell command to download all the windows apps and see if that helps.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Yeah, I haven't an issue that extreme - but the PC apps are definitely poor

It's amazing how night and day the gamepass experience is between console and PC. On the Xbox is works nearly flawlessly. On PC there's always some little issue. Annoying.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I had this same issue. I ended up cancelling because when it finally did end up working again, it could not detect any of my hard drives. It told me I had no hard drives; I have 8 in my computer right now.

Unfortunately the MS Store and Gamepass PC interface are just not great. If they improve it I'll be back on board easy.
It isn't great. That's for sure. I just want a setting to turn off auto downloads

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Afraid not. It just brings me to the Gaming Services page on the Microsoft Store app, which is also tells me is already installed.
0a45003e81de321546b3546fa25db21a.png
So that's interesting, because the games should still work even without the app, which suggests a wider issue with UWP in general, or your MS account sign-in. When you open Game Bar are you signed in to XBL?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There's a reason why Game Pass on PC is so cheap. It's pretty terrible and stuff stop working for no reason.

I think MS will fix all the messy stuff on pc eventually, but at the lowest priority compared to Series SX and Xcloud, i guess.

OP
OP
SirKai

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
So that's interesting, because the games should still work even without the app, which suggests a wider issue with UWP in general, or your MS account sign-in. When you open Game Bar are you signed in to XBL?

Yes, actually! Game Bar works just fine and I'm fully signed in with the same account I was using for Game Pass.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yes, actually! Game Bar works just fine and I'm fully signed in with the same account I was using for Game Pass.
Oh goodness. I don't know then. UWP apps are a bit of an enigma, which is the problem.

I did have an issue with Game Pass last year when it first launched but it was of my own making. I changed the folder privileges so I could access and change the game files in the downloaded games, and it totally fucked everything up lol. Wouldn't install any more games after that so I had to reinstall Windows! But not had any issues since then aside from SoR4 not launching when it first released (works now).

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Check to see if you've set your computers time to automatic and if it isn't turn it on. I was having some issues where I couldn't ever install or download anything and that fixed it maybe it will work for you.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
It'll never happen but it sure would be nice if MS just had game pass on Steam the way EA has its subscription stuff there.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Exact same issue was happening to me last month. I think I ended up uninstalling the microsoft store and all xbox apps, then installed all available updates to windows, then re-installed the store and gamepass app. I'm not 100% sure that's what I did, but it's fixed for me now.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Mine isn't working anymore either. Saying I have to install as an administrator or something. Bizarre.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Nope. I do my best not to mess with the OS, and I generally have a very pleasant and smooth experience. This is the first major issue I've had using my computer in probably the last 2 or 3 years.

Fair enough. That's usually what messes things up for most people. I would move important and personal files over to a backup drive and do a fresh install of windows with the latest image. It's sucks having to waste a couple hours doing it but it should fix the problem and clear out years of left over program files/bloat.

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
I used to have constant issues trying to download and install games until I re-installed 'Microsoft gaming services', which is a separate thing from the xbox app itself. Everything's been working great since.
Your issue is obviously not quite the same, but it might be worth a try.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That's really unfortunate OP.

Windows 10 is generally great, but yeah, Win10 can sometimes have broken features after an update. Common ones I've seen are the start search function not working, usb drivers getting wonky on some PCs.

One thing I'd try, is completely wiping the Xbox app and Microsoft store from your PC, maybe even do this in safe mode. Try searching your Storage Settings, and scouring your installation drive to make sure the Xbox app didn't install somewhere unexpected, uninstall it then, and then try installing again.

I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually. I solved a similar issue by Uninstalling the app from a different admin account, where it was intalled, but hiding. Microsoft store apps are really poor at working across multiple users on the same PC (if you have Win10 pro or Enterprise).

Another thing to make sure of is that you didn't opt-in accidentally to some sort of Preview or Beta program. The Microsoft store regularly doesn't work in those.

Last edited:

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yea, it's time for a clean install with format dude. Your current existing Windows 10 installation has obviously become corrupt. I know ppl absolutely don't like to do it and MS makes ppl believe it's not neccessary anymore but fact is there is probably tons of trash left on your syystem and patching on top of that all the time just produces more and more errors over time.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft Store is the worst thing that has ever happened to PC gaming. It's incredible how Microsoft insists on keeping their restrictive folder locking up even though it's the source for every problem people have had with the store. It's a "feature" that does nothing but harm and they just can't stop doing it.

I wish I could cancel this shitty service but I did the dumb thing where I bought two years of Live Gold and converted it. So I'm stuck with this shit until May 2022. The day I get to delete game ass from my PC will be a day of joy.

Annihilo

Sep 14, 2019
clean install of windows is the only solution I've found to ms store issues. it's a shit show

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Before taking any drastic measures, simply sign out of the Microsoft Store then sign in again. This action will trigger license refreshes.

Oct 28, 2017
I had a friend with a similar problem. Support advised him to format his PC (seriously) and I believe that fixed it.
Yea, it's time for a clean install with format dude.
clean install of windows is the only solution I've found to ms store issues. it's a shit show

What's with format and a clean installation of Windows 10?

Super strange that Microsoft support and most don't use the RESET/REFRESH option in Windows 10.

Annihilo

Sep 14, 2019
refresh doesn't fix registry errors which I suspect most store issues are. anyway I reinstalled personally and now I create restore point any time u change/install anything

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I've had to reset my windows install before because of the Microsoft Store. It especially seems to have problems with multiple storage devices, insane that it is still happening all these years after release. Luckily my Windows PCs are only for gaming.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Microsoft Store is the worst thing that has ever happened to PC gaming. It's incredible how Microsoft insists on keeping their restrictive folder locking up even though it's the source for every problem people have had with the store. It's a "feature" that does nothing but harm and they just can't stop doing it.

I wish I could cancel this shitty service but I did the dumb thing where I bought two years of Live Gold and converted it. So I'm stuck with this shit until May 2022. The day I get to delete game ass from my PC will be a day of joy.

I'm sorry but your comment is rather stupid. Why would it be the worst thing to happen to PC gaming? It didn't take anything away from PC gaming. It's not moneyhatting content that you can't get on other platforms, sure it might not work for some people but its completely optional. In fact, most PC gamers probably don't even know it exists. More options that don't take anything away are always good, everyone that wants to ignore it can keep playing like they always did and for the ones that it does work its an additional option. Yeah it would be great if it worked for everyone so that everyone has more options, but it didn't take anything away from anyone.

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
A clean installation will work, but you might try a Windows 10 reset first. It fixed all of my Windows store/Xbox app problems and I had a ton of them on two different machines. Haven't experienced any problems since.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but your comment is rather stupid. Why would it be the worst thing to happen to PC gaming? It didn't take anything away from PC gaming. It's not moneyhatting content that you can't get on other platforms, sure it might not work for some people but its completely optional. In fact, most PC gamers probably don't even know it exists. More options that don't take anything away are always good, everyone that wants to ignore it can keep playing like they always did and for the ones that it does work its an additional option. Yeah it would be great if it worked for everyone so that everyone has more options, but it didn't take anything away from anyone.
MS Store still has exclusives that didn't make it to Steam and also money-hatted Tetris Effect's MP mode. And Microsoft is overcharging for their games on Steam in Europe (70€, normal game price is 60€) to force people to get game pass instead.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
MS Store still has exclusives that didn't make it to Steam and also money-hatted Tetris Effect's MP mode. And Microsoft is overcharging (70€) for their games on Steam to force people to get game pass instead.
Not that those exclusives would have been on steam regardless since MS wasnt releasing on PC period. They brought more games to PC and steam, not less.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, at least windows updates didn't bork your windows, making you format the whole thing. That was me a while ago.