• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Matches with impressions from others also. The idea that this service would make game sales tank has been clearly disproved

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting to hear more from devs about the effect it's having, I guess this can in some way explain why some titles from 3rd-party devs stay on for ages or come back, such as Cities: Skylines.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome outcome for the developers and how a service which already benefits developers can benefit them even more.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great to see smaller devs jumping into Game Pass and coming out victorious! šŸ˜ Descenders is a fun little game. Nothing complex but a great way to while away the hours.

Bring on more games!

deadlygantz

Oct 15, 2019
numbers or not, this is still quite impressive, specially for small to mid range developers/publishers.

Apr 9, 2018
Matches with impressions from others also. The idea that this service would make game sales tank has been clearly disproved
Not disproved at all. This is likely down to the network effect afforded by the social aspects of Xbox Live. When subscriptions services like XGP are more ubiquitous, then we can take a real look at how much effect they have on sales. It's still early days

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Fascinating stuff. I don't have the time or inclination these days to dig into the data like I used to, but I did (and continue to) wonder what the effects of GP would be on sales, particularly for indie/non $60 experiences. Personally, I'm more likely to throw money at the indie titles if I dig them on GP.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If sells increase when a game is on gamepass why aren't more developers pushing to get their games on there? Maybe even more new 3rd party games instead of just older ones?

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
XGP is really the new "Rental Service". As a kid, I would never buy a game without at least renting it first. People get a safe way to test the waters and are still willing to "buy-to-own" when they are having fun.

That said, I would be curious to see the demographics. I feel younger generations hold less value on "owning" things and feel these "Try-&-Buy" likely come from an older crowd.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
User Banned (3 Days) - Threadwhining & platform warring
great first post lol bash the game and insight in one swoop! Bravo

I don't think they can give specific numerical details prob due to restrictions.

welp, if i show excitement for a mediocre flopped game would you be happier and not bash my opinion? lol'd

i need to have more info to have a better grasp at gamepass. saying it tripled could mean 10 games sold now is at 30.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to hear this - it sounds like it's working as a "discovery" service, especially for smaller titles. I hope the concept catches on, industry-wide.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game I've never heard of is always at the top of most popular on Game Pass so I download, play and have a fun time. Simple marketing that works.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The Gamepass deniers are already in this thread, lol. Please tell us all how gamepass is terrible for the industry, contradicting all the devs who have said the exact opposite.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
welp, if i show excitement for a mediocre flopped game would you be happier and not bash my opinion? lol'd

i need to have more info to have a better grasp at gamepass. saying it tripled could mean 10 games sold now is at 30.

Flopped? The game did well before Gamepass and it's done even better since joining the service. It's clear you don't actually know what you're talking about.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Def great for games that people wouldnt buy otherwise or never heard of before. Grats to the devs.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I can tell already the 'Gamepass is bad for devs' narrative will take a while to die based on some of the replies already.

Good to see this developer reaping the benefits of opting into a platform that allows gamers to access a more diverse array of games than they'd normally be exposed to.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Game I've never heard of is always at the top of most popular on Game Pass so I download, play and have a fun time. Simple marketing that works.
except what they are saying is it's high on gamepass and for some reason this is leading to more people buying it outside of gamepass

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Some of y'all need some help.

Good for the developer, though. I only put a few minutes in on Descenders, but I would have put zero on it otherwise. I usually try to play every GP game just to experience new genres / indies. Can totally see this.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anecdotal only but I've bought 2 or 3 games I wouldn't have otherwise bought (or even discovered/played) because I started it on Game Pass.

I genuinely hope this is the effect Game Pass is having for games, perhaps more particularly for the smaller development studios. Discoverability and the ability to purchase (often with a slight discount) is a part of the appeal for me.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

Think for a moment....

If you were a dev and you went from 10 sales to 30.

Would you say "Gamepass has elevated my game to heights I've never imagined".

Let's at least try to have proper discourse here over real information there's no need for the instant defensiveness it just ruins threads.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Games with low exposure are the most likely to benefit from GamePass for obvious reasons. I don't think anyone is doubting that. The question is whether a huge AAA game would sell more by being on GamePass on day one, and that's something that's not so clear yet.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Anectodtally, I can promise I've played, beaten and found new favorite devs and genres I never would've known existed if not for the service. I've also purchased 3rd party Game Pass games (never 1st) knowing that they're not there forever. An example is Slay tbe Spire. Never bought a card game in my life. That game is now one of my favorites of this gen and is the reason I purchased 2 other card games.

Not anectodally, Phil Spencer says that the data is showing there's a lot more like me.

I believe Game Pass will help good 3rd party multiplat games sell more. Eventually 1st party games will sell less. Its a good to have another business model that makes more genres viable in this free to play BR age.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
They get a lot more exposure being on game pass instead of getting buried in the store. It's not rocket science.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In retrospect, I'm genuinely surprised that nobody is pressuring any of the console developers to improve discoverability within their digital stores. They're all universally dreadful in that regard, and yet there's not a peep from anyone.

Meanwhile, Games Pass throws a selection of games to subscribers, and gives the people an option to buy to own if they so choose. I'm not surprised that we're seeing at least one success story, since it's basically the only attempt at introducing indie game discoverability on a console platform.

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass is incredible. Best thing that's happened to gaming in a long time.

Microsoft has positioned themselves brilliantly here and really has no legitimate competitor that can compete with this service at the moment.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
except what they are saying is it's high on gamepass and for some reason this is leading to more people buying it outside of gamepass

More people playing the games means more word of mouth. All there really is to it. It's not the case for every game, like I don't think Gears 5 *sold* more, but rather it performed really well for the service.

I think for bigger full price AAA games people might be more inclined to sub for it? But I don't know how many people would sub specifically for Descenders which isn't full price.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why buy a game thats on gamepass?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Im curious to see if this success can be maintained.

It currently works as well as it does because there are a relatively low number of games on the service so anything that's put into it whether its the next Halo or a small scale game like this gets its own little spotlight which leads to increased chatter and word of mouth about the game which leads to mind share and increased sales.

I think in order for it to continue to be as successful as it does it needs to continue to curate the games that go into it.

I think they've really hit the sweet spot right now by having first party games and some indie games launching day one into the service combined with some older bigger third party titles.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As Someone who'd be reluctant to buy indie games gamepass is great for being able to try them out and then support the dev.

I got like 4 years of gamepass with that glitch for like 150 bucks so I should be throwing some cash back at them