• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is going to be awful for game studios if it ever becomes the main way people play games. Games that keep gamers hooked (mp, grindy, f2p games) will be seen as more valuable to MS than 5-10 hour affairs. Which will mean single player game makers would be receiving less money for their game in negotiations.

Of course they could try selling it for $60 in stores, but people would be so trained to not spend money on games and they'd be so devalued at that point, the game would end up bombing.

/doom and gloom

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Any good game on gamepass (DMC5, Alien Isolation etc) i already bought day one so theres no value in those games for me. Theres no value in the downright bad games on there and so i'm left with first party stuff which I play because theres no point spending full rrp on a new game if its coming to GP. But I wouldn't of bought any first party stuff anyway if GP didn't exist, that's how average it is. Theres no way I'm spending 50 quid on Gears 5, I thought that before I downloaded it and i knew I was justified after I've played it.

You know what I'd prefer over GP? A top game. That'd be good.
Firstly, kudos to you for having bought every good game on Game Pass already.

It's a shame you don't like Gears 5 but it's not like all the first party stuff is bad, we had FH4, The Outer Worlds is coming this week, Ori 2 etc next year. And then there's all the day one third party stuff which you somehow choose to ignore, Outer Wilds, Void Bastards, Gardens Between, Blazing Chrome etc. So many great and diverse day one experiences, probably my favourite thing about GP.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently signed up [PC Gamepass only] because they added The Outer Worlds to the service. In all honesty, once I am done with that game I really don't see myself keeping the subscription active.
The selection of games is decent, but a lot of the games are ones that I have either played or don't really have an interest in.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
User Warned: Accusations of astroturfing, thread derail
Starting to feel like advertising agencies have Era accounts.

Like it covers all the bases of a press release and brings up questions or complaints and brushes them under the rug.

Weird.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Like it covers all the bases of a press release and brings up questions or complaints and brushes them under the rug.

Weird.
Well they did have accounts on GAF before. I doubt people vet new account signups on here much.

Game Pass is nice, but the best thing to happen to gaming? I'd probably give that to being able to buy personal machines and not have to go to arcades.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Firstly, kudos to you for having bought every good game on Game Pass already.

It's a shame you don't like Gears 5 but it's not like all the first party stuff is bad, we had FH4, The Outer Worlds is coming this week, Ori 2 etc next year. And then there's all the day one third party stuff which you somehow choose to ignore, Outer Wilds, Void Bastards, Gardens Between, Blazing Chrome etc. So many great and diverse day one experiences, probably my favourite thing about GP.
Fair one with FH4. Best game to come to GP actually. None of them 3rd parties appeal to me, MW is out Friday and that game along with DS will probably do me till early next year.

In terms of 3rd parties I play, Fifa, Cod, BF, whatever rockstar make etc. Like alot of the rest of the world. Fair play for you for trying out a load of stuff I never would but just because theres a bunch of stuff I would find otherwise obscure I'm not going to play it simply because it's available. That's like watching every film on Netflix simply because it's on the service. Nobody does that, why should video games be any different?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Weird.

weirdly enough when its about ten death stranding threads per day or around a thousand near days gone release day it was just passionate fans liking things, am i right?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Well they did have accounts on GAF before. I doubt people vet new account signups on here much.

Game Pass is nice, but the best thing to happen to gaming? I'd probably give that to being able to buy personal machines and not have to go to arcades.
It's mostly the phrasing. I know the hype checks and stuff come from a personal account usually, but there's sometimes I feel like I just got fed a press briefing on something instead of someone's personal account for anything.

weirdly enough when its about ten death stranding threads per day or around a thousand near days gone release day it was just passionate fans liking things, am i right?
Depends on the phrasing and writing.

A lot of times the million of Death Stranding posts are either re-posting an article or speculating or discussing the game. This post is literally just "OMG ITS SO GREAT AND IT EVEN HAS GOW5 AND OUTER WORLDS!" and "It was only possible thanks to Game Pass" It's all about the phrasing, not the content. It's sponsored content versus blatant advertising. That's the difference I'm speaking to.

yup. And mods will ban people for suggesting this lol.
It's just weird the more time I spend on the site. -shrug- I don't mean anything personal about it, just like some threads feel like it's some PR firm making posts to get people talking about something, rather than discussing anything specific.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
My first thought from the title was MoviePass was the same for movies. We saw how unsustainable that was in the end. Game Pass is currently the same way, depending on how long MS finances it. I'm taking advantage of it now, and I've played a lot of former Xbox One exclusives on PC. I'm wary of the types of games on the platform going forward, because I rarely play MP anymore, and I don't see this platform succeeding with the big budget SP games I want.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is going to be awful for game studios if it ever becomes the main way people play games. Games that keep gamers hooked (mp, grindy, f2p games) will be seen as more valuable to MS than 5-10 hour affairs. Which will mean single player game makers would be receiving less money for their game in negotiations.

Of course they could try selling it for $60 in stores, but people would be so trained to not spend money on games and they'd be so devalued at that point, the game would end up bombing.

/doom and gloom

I dont know where you guys get any of this from? How is FH4/Gears 5/SoT/Outer Worlds/Ori 2 any less of a game compared to conventional releases? These are some of the best in their respective genre's. Infact Coalition had to repurpose some of Gears 5 as they expected an influx of new gamers, this type of visibility for devs is new and significant. Unlike Netflix/Moviepass, recurring revenue through open engagement is a thing, it is an option for dev's should they choose to utilise it. Also, we have no idea what business agreement there is between MS and devs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Weird.
You don't think people organically love things like Game Pass or Days Gone to the point they need to tell everyone how every small thing about it is amazing? Weird.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It's mostly the phrasing. I know the hype checks and stuff come from a personal account usually, but there's sometimes I feel like I just got fed a press briefing on something instead of someone's personal account for anything.

Depends on the phrasing and writing.

A lot of times the million of Death Stranding posts are either re-posting an article or speculating or discussing the game. This post is literally just "OMG ITS SO GREAT AND IT EVEN HAS GOW5 AND OUTER WORLDS!" and "It was only possible thanks to Game Pass" It's all about the phrasing, not the content. It's sponsored content versus blatant advertising. That's the difference I'm speaking to.

Were you this upset about the tons of "SWITCH IS THE BEST THING/CHANGED GAMING" threads we used to have too? Or you believe its actually possible to be hyped for the switch but anyone liking gamepass surely is a corporate bootlicker

People get excited for things here. Its silly, i dont get it either, but i dont go around calling them marketing shills, specially not while doing distinctions for very specific cases.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know where you guys get any of this from? How is FH4/Gears 5/SoT/Outer Worlds/Ori 2 any less of a game compared to conventional releases? These are some of the best in their respective genre's.
the introductory years of gamepass where MS is desperate don't represent what the service would look like if it became the dominant way of playing games.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Were you this upset about the tons of "SWITCH IS THE BEST THING/CHANGED GAMING" threads we used to have too? Or you believe its actually possible to be hyped for the switch but anyone liking gamepass surely is a corporate bootlicker

People get excited for things here. Its silly, i dont get it either, but i dont go around calling them marketing shills, specially not while doing distinctions for very specific cases.
I mean if you point me to specific accounts sure. I haven't seen literally every post on the site. And again it's about phrasing and I never called anyone a bootlicker. I just said that some posts (not just this one) start to come off as PR extensions rather than "I liked the thing." There's always room for me be to be wrong and I never said it as a 100% objective certainty.

I simply said it starts to feel that way sometimes, and others have said similar things. Not sure why it blew up this much.
You don't think people organically love things like Game Pass or Days Gone to the point they need to tell everyone how every small thing about it is amazing? Weird.
I don't even know what this post is trying to say? It's like putting a lot of words in my mouth when my specific commentary was regarding phrasing that's just super "marketing". Especially when I never mentioned anything about Days Gone? Didn't realize I'd derail the thread. I'll stop derailing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Fair one with FH4. Best game to come to GP actually. None of them 3rd parties appeal to me, MW is out Friday and that game along with DS will probably do me till early next year.

In terms of 3rd parties I play, Fifa, Cod, BF, whatever rockstar make etc. Like alot of the rest of the world. Fair play for you for trying out a load of stuff I never would but just because theres a bunch of stuff I would find otherwise obscure I'm not going to play it simply because it's available. That's like watching every film on Netflix simply because it's on the service. Nobody does that, why should video games be any different?
Inverse snobbery right there.

I've no interest in FIFA, CoD or BF. I'd rather be playing something like Baba is You tbh. I must be a "nobody" and in to "obscure" games.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It seems like a great thing in the short term, but it seems like yet another mechanism for racing to the bottom on value proposition and have this terrible feeling that, if it takes off among everything, it will commoditize games further and we'll end up with severely compromised offerings compared to what we used to have (or even have right now).

You also know, deep down, there's absolutely no way that price is sticking around for good.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Weird.
It's no different than the constant Bloodborne, SMASH, BOTW, Destiny and TLOU threads.

These topics happen when people stop believing smear campaigns posted by others here and elsewhere on the internet and experience something they never thought they would love but actually do. Expect to see alot of this at the start of next gen.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's no different than the constant Bloodborne, SMASH, BOTW, Destiny and TLOU threads.

These topics happen when people stop believing smear campaigns posted by others here and elsewhere on the internet and experience something they never thought they would love but actually do. Expect to see alot of this at the start of next gen.
The phrasing is definitely different in this post and I'd have to completely deconstruct the phrasing and bullet points that seem to be covered, which would derail further. If you want to ask in PM I'd be more than happy to explain why I felt that way.

And again, saying a blank generality versus specific links and examples don't help with your retort, and given the "Smear campaign" thing it sounds like your opinion is from a perspective of someone who likes Xbox but is tired of it getting shit on a lot, which I can understand, but doesn't actually address my original post.

Anyways like I said, feel free to pm if you want me to explain more indepth, but if not I'll exit the thread as previously stated and stop derailing. Apologies.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
I'm definitely not a PR person, and I think Game Pass is the best thing that happened this generation. Xbox One has definitely been my main console after a couple months of playing games on Game Pass (prior to Game Pass it was definitely my PS4). There's just too much good stuff. Especially since I love games like Outer Wilds, The Gardens Between. Slay the Spire, Hollow Knight even more than Gears 5 and FH4 (though FH4 is great). I also love Apple Arcade so it's possible these services just appeal to gamers that are in my demographic, and there's quite a few in that demo on ResetEra.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Inverse snobbery right there.

I've no interest in FIFA, CoD or BF. I'd rather be playing something like Baba is You tbh. I must be a "nobody" and in to "obscure" games.
No not snobbery I just know what I like. I'm on about 3rd party AAA games. Occasionally a game like Undertale comes along which I like but they are few and far between (I know that's not AAA). You have no interest In cod or fifa, why do I have to have an interest in games that I've never heard of or even care about just because they are available for download?

I keep hearing, theres something for everyone on GP. Is there? What if you only ever play Fifa or Cod?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
it's changed my purchasing habits by far. I've kept an eye on slickdeals to see if there are gaming deals time to time, but now that i have 1p games day one with gamepass, it's a no brainer to have since i enjoy MS 1p games.
Now when they put 3p games on there too, that's amazingly awesome for me.
I know high profile games wont make it on there like GTA or COD, but from the trend so far, plenty of high caliber games are going to be on gamepass and im excited!

already preloaded the outer wilds and cant wait to play it :)

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
what does this even mean lmao
In this instance? After years of people shitting Xbox, they got one and realized how enjoyable gamepass could be and felt the need to talk about it.

I'm sure someone will do the same for PSNow eventually.

In other instances, not everyone jumps on a game the moment it comes out. Whether it be for financial reasons, fan boys clouding judgement or just general lack of interest End of the day they eventually get around to playing and enjoying said project and make a thread about it. Insecure people then make astro turfing accusations.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
As a consumer, totally agree.

The value is insane and nothing comes close.

We're fucking getting the Outer World's this week.

Dec 20, 2017
I got in on the 1-year for $70 holiday promotion from last year, thinking Gears 5 and Forza Horizon alone would be worth it. But I can't keep track of the games that have come to this and made it a crazy value. Every time a new batch of games is announced feels like a "Wow" moment.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually think GP has altered the perception of what people consider good, simply because its seen as a cheap service. I saw a thread on Era about World War Z, a game that didn't interest me but someone said it was like l4d, a good game they said. I thought really? I mean I'd seen the odd thing about and would never consider buying it usually. That's a bad game, the animation is bad, the atmosphere is bad, it's a really shit left 4 dead game. But maybe it's good because it's so cheap, I mean how much is GP a day? Like 25p so I mean you can't moan for 25p? So is this the standard we hold stuff too? Because it's so cheap that even a bad game becomes a good game because it's dirt cheap? An average game ( gears 5) becomes a good game? Do we just shift the goalposts because of the price?

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
And this was only possible thanks to game pass.
Why only ? The game was not GP exclusive.

I have always considered a subscription based service similar to Netflix inconceivable due to insane budgets and rising dev costs
GP is operated at a lost, and a big one i assume, it's a long - term investment from Microsoft. Will it be still viable in the future with $10/month ? Only time will tell us. But for now, it's a great offer, indeed.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think GP has altered the perception of what people consider good, simply because its seen as a cheap service. I saw a thread on Era about World War Z, a game that didn't interest me but someone said it was like l4d, a good game they said. I thought really? I mean I'd seen the odd thing about and would never consider buying it usually. That's a bad game, the animation is bad, the atmosphere is bad, it's a really shit left 4 dead game. But maybe it's good because it's so cheap, I mean how much is GP a day? Like 25p so I mean you can't moan for 25p? So is this the standard we hold stuff too? Because it's so cheap that even a bad game becomes a good game because it's dirt cheap? An average game ( gears 5) becomes a good game? Do we just shift the goalposts because of the price?
This is definitely happening. That said, I can't wait for XCloud integration. I'll read about a game being good, spend 10-40 mins downloading, then play for 8 minutes before uninstalling it in disgust.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the introductory years of gamepass where MS is desperate don't represent what the service would look like if it became the dominant way of playing games.
Isnt this a slippery slope? We can only speak of GP based on what we've experienced so far, we're expecting it to continue move upwards with MS releasing Psychonaughts 2, Halo Infinite (and whatever else is in thier launch window for Scarlet), it seems pretty consistent if not better then introductory phase. Infact we're about to see the full force of MS studios on GP next gen, so no offence your bleak outlook seems unfounded .

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
No not snobbery I just know what I like. I'm on about 3rd party AAA games. Occasionally a game like Undertale comes along which I like but they are few and far between (I know that's not AAA). You have no interest In cod or fifa, why do I have to have an interest in games that I've never heard of or even care about just because they are available for download?

I keep hearing, theres something for everyone on GP. Is there? What if you only ever play Fifa or Cod?
No, Game Pass isn't for everyone. It's certainly not for casual gamers who only buy and play their annual dose of FIFA or CoD, just as Netflix isn't for people who only watch soaps, the latest blockbusters, or CBS procedurals. But Game Pass obviously isn't targeting those gamers either.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I made the thread, hello. And yes, the game isn't perfect. But the game is a lot of fun and I've actually been having a great time playing the multiplayer as it reminds me a lot of uncharted's multiplayer but with zombies. The whole point of the thread was that I wouldn't have spent a full 60 dollars on the game because I would have just assumed it was a cheap movie knock off but there's actually a lot of cool and interesting things in that game.

Also Gears 5 isn't an average game, it's one of the best games this year. Hope you're able to find a game you look on the service though since you don't seem to like anything on there.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
My only worry... third parties releasing half assed AAA games (with half the content it's supposed to have), just to have it on Gamepass, they get paid the millions by Microsoft to have it there, knowing you, the fan, will pay for the expansions that contains the other 50% of the game down the line. Then new releases slowly become more and more thin on content, games become more episodic in nature (because the money for publishers are the MS Millions for Gamepass + you buying expansions) and the value if a $60 game gets eroded.

Am I wrong to think this could happen if the Gamepass experiment is successful?

Why would Microsoft change to intentionally invest in shit content? Subscribers aren't locked into a contract. Quality goes down and then subscribers go down.

May 25, 2019
London
The real value of Game Pass is at odds with the typical ERA "Day 0" gamer so I'm not surprised to see Game Pass advocates being called corporate shills. Everyone who takes an opposing viewpoint is a shill nowadays, like all the major PC publications being Epic shills.

Game Pass has come into its own the last few months with the PC rollout and some significant AAA titles hitting the service in close proximity to each other (Gears 5, Outer Worlds). This is a preview of what Microsoft wants next gen to be - a high profile first party title hitting Game Pass every month, supplemented by third party games both big and small.

But one of my favorite things about Game Pass is how it instantly gives you common multiplayer games with friends. Rocket League being a Game Pass title was a huge event in my social circle, as even the people who held out before gave it a try and all of a sudden my friends list was filled with people playing every night. If I want to do a game night with friends, as long as we all have Game Pass, we can just pick a title, download it, and play with each other. Sometimes we queue up 3-4 titles and move throughout them in one night.

Move your mindset past the "buy game for $60, play it for a month, move onto next game for $60" thinking and you'll start to see why Microsoft has a hit on their hands.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This was only possible thanks to game pass? Why is that? You could've just bought it?

But I don't agree this is very feasible. in the long term. If you're gonna put AAA productions on there and just let people pay for a month to play them, MS will lose a lot of money and more importantly: the quality of those productions will drastically go down.
Why only ? The game was not GP exclusive.

GP is operated at a lost, and a big one i assume, it's a long - term investment from Microsoft. Will it be still viable in the future with $10/month ? Only time will tell us. But for now, it's a great offer, indeed.
I am aware it's not GP exclusive but I would never have considered playing Gears unless it was £10 or less. I think most video games are far too expensive at release anyway. It shocks me that digital titles are valued at £50. I used to buy console titles at £30, which also have resale value.

Game pass solved that issue for me.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, Game Pass isn't for everyone. It's certainly not for casual gamers who only buy and play their annual dose of FIFA or CoD, just as Netflix isn't for people who only watch soaps, the latest blockbusters, or CBS procedurals. But Game Pass obviously isn't targeting those gamers either.
Fifa and cod players arent casual though. If you spend most of your time outside of school or work playing video games, even if its cod or fifa (that isnt all I play I'm using examples) then your not a casual gamer.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I made the thread, hello. And yes, the game isn't perfect. But the game is a lot of fun and I've actually been having a great time playing the multiplayer as it reminds me a lot of uncharted's multiplayer but with zombies. The whole point of the thread was that I wouldn't have spent a full 60 dollars on the game because I would have just assumed it was a cheap movie knock off but there's actually a lot of cool and interesting things in that game.

Also Gears 5 isn't an average game, it's one of the best games this year. Hope you're able to find a game you look on the service though since you don't seem to like anything on there.
I liked FH4. Legitimately the best game I've played off GP. Theres also a whole host of other good games I've played that are on GP, I just played them before they came to GP.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
You forgot to add the disclaimer
*for the short term future
in there, OP.

Gamepass and other subscription services are gonna mess up gaming in the longterm, big-time.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I liked FH4. Legitimately the best game I've played off GP. Theres also a whole host of other good games I've played that are on GP, I just played them before they came to GP.

And I didn't, which is why GP is great for me because it allows me to play games I would have normally missed.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This is the best thing to happen TO YOU.
To gaming, we will see in 5-10 years and I have a bad feeling about it.