• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure they have ever said how it works. Is this 23 million recurring subs or is that 23 million unique sign ups that some may still have it or some may not? Not sure they have ever specified. I guess it's probably just currently active now that I think about it.
It's number of active subscribers at that moment

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Concern Trolling
As a PC player this makes me quite worried about Microsoft Store taking over as the dominant store/platform on PC and imposing its crazy file access restrictions on us all. Good bye modding.

Dec 8, 2018
User banned (1 week): Console War Rhetoric, long history of similar behavior
People thinking this is some huge monetary gain for Xbox compared to PlayStation forget that PS + added 10 million subscribers in the last year as well. Don't get me wrong game pass is doing great but Sony are probably making far more money out of their services especially considering the huge costs and promotions around game pass.

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy, this will def have a huge impact on the industry.
Sony will probably have to propose something similar in the coming years. I only see Nintendo maybe being able to survive off this for a while since they are always late on trend lol.
I think it will once it's actually proven to be profitable. MS has big pockets and a history of pouring money into their gaming initiatives in a way Sony and Nintendo choose not to do

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know that there are many differences between Netflix and Game Pass, but one thing that Netflix ran into is that its success made various providers recognize the potential value of their product's streaming rights. If GPU gets to let's say 50 million subscribers by the end of 2022 then will they have to pay a lot more for third party content? Obviously, by then their 1st party studios will be churning out games, but I wonder how much that risk of increasing expenses to get 3rd party games will drive them to seek out even more studios in the future.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Joking aside with the $1 deal business, one thing that often gets lost in the GamePass discussion is the incidental revenue that we really have no way to calculate but likely MSFT does (at least in some way). People trying games on GP and then telling their non GP friends about it (who then buy the game), people who buy DLC for GP games (for instance I just bought Prey Mooncrash due to GP), in game microtransactions for GP games, etc. It's not just a "they make $X per month from subs" calculation.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
People thinking this is some huge monetary gain for Xbox compared to PlayStation forget that PS + added 10 million subscribers in the last year as well. Don't get me wrong game pass is doing great but Sony are probably making far more money out of their services especially considering the huge costs and promotions around game pass.
The difference being I know people who've bought into the Xbox ecosystem BECAUSE of Game Pass. You can't really say people buy into PlayStation because of Plus.

Plus is something you buy if you're already invested.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The difference being I know people who've bought into the Xbox ecosystem BECAUSE of Game Pass. You can't really say people buy into PlayStation because of Plus.

Yup, I'm in this boat. I got a XSX specifically because of GPU and it's been great. Microsoft Rewards + GPU is too good a value to pass up.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Why is this the consensus? Gold currently acts as a very effective way to both increase the value of Game Pass and increase the average revenue per user by pushing more subscribers to the $15 Ultimate Tier.
because the logical path forward is once game pass hits critical mass the gold tier is worthless and the value coming from console, pc, and cloud is enough to sub to Ultimate.

Gold is an archaic design and having free multiplayer on console for all, not just F2P games, would be a huge value add

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
My original prediction in January was 30 million by the end of 2021, but at this rate I agree it could be closer to 35 million. I think iOS, MacOS, and PC will have a pretty big impact, then Halo and Starfield (if it hits) will be massive.

Yep. Put it this way. Within 6 months of the launch of a new console (May 2021), Xbox now have as many Gamepass customers as they sold Xbox Ones in more than the first 3 YEARS of it's life (end of 2016).

Whilst not from a standing start, that is astonishing. The difference is that ALL these customers give money to MS every month, whereas that was never guaranteed with just console sales.

At this point, Sony would be insane not to follow suit with a significantly improved PS Now.

The difference is that MS have very deliberately opened up the potential market size for gamepass far beyond just console owners. Unless Sony does the same, maybe that is the only reason not to. MS don't care about potentially cannibalizing console sales if they can sell to people who only have ipads.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020

No one asked about Playstation but theres got to be a downplay. Genuinely awful desperate reply.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Joking aside with the $1 deal business, one thing that often gets lost in the GamePass discussion is the incidental revenue that we really have no way to calculate but likely MSFT does (at least in some way). People trying games on GP and then telling their non GP friends about it (who then buy the game), people who buy DLC for GP games (for instance I just bought Prey Mooncrash due to GP), in game microtransactions for GP games, etc. It's not just a "they make $X per month from subs" calculation.

Yes with all their futures big live services franchise I think they could make a lot of revenue on DLC / MTX

WelshBluebird

Jul 22, 2020
Why would the same account be classed as 3 subscribers? It's active subscribers, how they paid for it, doesn't really come into it.

I guess what I am asking is have they ever actually clarified that they are talking about active subs at that point in time when they talk about numbers?
So 23 million. Is that the number of people who had an active sub at the point they took that number? Or is it the number of people who have ever signed up for game pass regardless of if they are active now? Or is it the number of game pass signups? All are potentially different numbers.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
As a PC player this makes me quite worried about Microsoft Store taking over as the dominant store/platform on PC and imposing its crazy file access restrictions on us all. Good bye modding.
Sorry but you sound like a crazy person. Nothing is "taking over" from Steam anytime soon, or ever for that matter. I would be very surprised if PC only GP members make up a significant percentage of this figure.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very impressive numbers. WIth this high of a count this is clearly going to be industry-changing. Not only for game distribution - but down the road it will even affect some aspects of game design.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
If they do better about the PC/xbox game differences I'll sub. Still waiting till that happens.

Feb 11, 2019
MS just prints money, Jesus Christ.

Doubt this will happen. Steam is the quadrillion pound gorilla that collapsed into a money-sucking black hole. Nothing is ever shaking their grip on PC gaming, they're just a part of the universe now, like taxes.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I think Halo Infinite is gonna have 10 million players in the first week. It's going to be huge. First weekend will be huge.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
qbmf14m.gif

Gaben quaking in his boots

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

And people bought into the PlayStation eco system and subscribed to their service they found value in.

Man, XGP threads always bring them out the woodwork.

Why are you randomly console warring out of nowhere? Who is talking about Sony and the PS ecosystem in this thread, and why are you talking down Xbox Game Pass compared to "Sony probably making more money?"

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
When do we expect Sony's competitor service to hit the market? With the rate Game Pass is growing I doubt that they can afford to stand idle for much longer.

Dec 8, 2018
No one asked about Playstation but theres got to be a downplay. Genuinely awful desperate reply.

People in the first page of this thread said this will force Sony into a response and create something similar and change the industry and much more. When Sony is making more money and increasing their service subscribers at a similar pace I see no reason for that to be true or needed. Take a look into the mirror next time you try to paint someone

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
because the logical path forward is once game pass hits critical mass the gold tier is worthless and the value coming from console, pc, and cloud is enough to sub to Ultimate.

Gold is an archaic design and having free multiplayer on console for all, not just F2P games, would be a huge value add

Console players that aren't interested in any subscription at all are likely to be less engaged and are almost certainly spending less per month. They're not a major demographic of interest. I just don't see the business sense in giving up a very lucrative revenue stream, one of your primary Game Pass retention tools and one of the key drivers to increase ARPU for Game Pass subscribers.

It's also much easier to convert a user that already has an active subscription with Xbox (Gold) to Game Pass them it is to convert a user with no active subscription.

Where's the value add to the consumers that are driving Microsoft's revenue growth? Why give a "huge value add" to the consumers least engaged in your ecosystem?

You can call it archaic all you like but even Nintendo are able to charge a subscribtion fee for their woefully inadequate online offerings. It's simply accepted as a standard cost of entry to console gaming at this point.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I projected 30m when Halo Infinite hits... many said I was wayyy too aggressive... seems in line now.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
People in the first page of this thread said this will force Sony into a response and create something similar and change the industry and much more. When Sony is making more money and increasing their service subscribers at a similar pace I see no reason for that to be true or needed. Take a look into the mirror next time you try to paint someone

If the answer is Sony not responding at all then the userbase are not benefitting. Cheerleading sales figures while the status quo remains and you get a worse service is not a positive.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Thread Title: "Xbox Gamepass is now at 23M subs"
And people bought into the PlayStation eco system and subscribed to their service they found value in.
Can't this just be an Xbox / GamePass thread?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming this figure is accurate, and assuming everyone is paying $5/month (this is deliberately pessimistic to account for regional pricing and people exploiting the Gold conversion offer to the fullest), that will work out as US$1.38 billion every year. Again: deliberately pessimistic assumptions! This is an underestimate, more than likely, and it's still Fortnite money, and it's also ignoring the store cuts Microsoft gets from people buying games from them. It's mad.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

By people, do you mean literally just one person? You're not even trying here.

lfelipebr

Dec 29, 2017
Piripiri - Brazil

I bought a Series X because of GamePass. Still have my PS4 Pro, which I love, but I haven't renewed my PS Plus. A cousin of mine sold his PS4 and bought a Series S also because of GamePass. Sure, in the future, with Sony heavy hitters, I am going to buy a PS5 and might subscribe to PS Plus again, but GamePass was definitely the factor for me to go first with Xbox.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
23m would mean they added 5 million in less than 4 months... Should be easy for them to be well over 30m by the end of the year.
Supposedly Microsoft have been very conservative with their numbers so the real number might be 23 million but they won't announce that, they will probably say 21 or 22 million