• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
GP has allowed me to play games that I had mild to no interest in. Some I have really enjoyed, some I deleted shortly after playing it for a bit (Monster Hunter). It has really opened up some games that I had just said "not for me" but decided to try them and d it has been great. For me, I will still buy some games and there is a game on GP that I really enjoyed and want to replay I will buy them when the announce they are being removed from the service.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
I am pretty okay with this as it lets you try many games you might never play and rotation is usually several months as well as never having to buy first party games.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
did they suddenly realize they don't own the games and decided to write this article to share the wisdom?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Agree that this is a weird article. We know we don't own them just like we know we don't own the shows on Netflix. We're not new to these kinds of services.

I'll buy the games I like enough and justify long-term ownership of.

Just like I do with Netflix.

Just like I do with Apple Music.

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of duh that we don't own these, but....I also had no clue that games left the service. That sucks, but I guess understandable.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is just like Sony forgets to tell its customers that their multiplayer servers are shut down after a period of years right? Games Sony customers fully own yet, bye-bye multiplayer after a few years.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that people think this is a problem on gamepass when it isn't on Netflix.

If you are paying attention, a game leaving can be the kick in the ass you need to finally finish it. Case In point, I finally beat Shadow Complex last weekend after originally playing it when it launched almost ten years ago.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm subscribed to Spotify and i know full well that I don't own those music.

Game pass is there for us players to have the same library of games and having the possibility to play together. It is the Netflix subs for games. Simple as that. If i like it, I'll buy it physically or digitally. No loss for me personally.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget y'all, when you stream Spotify you don't actually own the songs!

_id

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
GP has allowed me to play games that I had mild to no interest in. Some I have really enjoyed, some I deleted shortly after playing it for a bit (Monster Hunter). It has really opened up some games that I had just said "not for me" but decided to try them and d it has been great. For me, I will still buy some games and there is a game on GP that I really enjoyed and want to replay I will buy them when the announce they are being removed from the service.
This is me as well, so many games I would have never experienced if not for game pass. I'm currently playing battle chasers which is a turn based rpg which I use to love growing up and I've already put 40 hours into the game. Last game I was this into was when the Witcher 3 released. I can say for sure that if the game was to leave game pass tomorrow I'd be buying it tomorrow. It's so many gems I can finally get to discover. Gonna see what all the fuss about hollow knight is next.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For everyone bringing up the Spotify comparison: why are you guys ignoring the enormous difference? Songs aren't periodically removed from it like games are from Game Pass. Netflix is the much better comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about ownership. I'm not gonna play same game 10 years later. And if I do then I can subscribe again, don't see any problem
I don't mean to be condescending but you should care.

If these games were all digital and there were no physical copies they'd just disappear and never be available again.

The industry as a whole needs to better preserve its history, and not caring about ownership is a damaging attitude to have for gaming as a whole 10-20 years after you say that.

And maybe you will play the same game 10 years later, you don't know how a game will impact you tomorrow. And finally, if you're dead set against ever playing an older game in the future that's fine for you but obviously doesn't work for everyone, if most people

On topic, games pass is awesome and it's sucks these games leave. Thankfully the games are available in other ways too

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to be condescending but you should care.

If these games were all digital and there were no physical copies they'd just disappear and never be available again.

The industry as a whole needs to better preserve its history, and not caring about ownership is a damaging attitude to have for gaming as a whole 10-20 years after you say that.

And maybe you will play the same game 10 years later, you don't know how a game will impact you tomorrow. And finally, if you're dead set against ever playing an older game in the future that's fine for you but obviously doesn't work for everyone, if most people

On topic, games pass is awesome and it's sucks these games leave. Thankfully the games are available in other ways too
Well even if they all were just digital you still have to download them. Therefore they can still be preserved. Let's worry when gaming is just streaming.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Damn, should have been the first post.
For everyone bringing up the Spotify comparison: why are you guys ignoring the enormous difference? Songs aren't periodically removed from it like games are from Game Pass. Netflix is the much better comparison.
100% false statement. Project Pat's - Kelly Green just got removed from my Apple Music library last week.

Last edited:

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Songs can and do get removed from Spotify for numerous reasons.
Damn, should have been the first post.

100% false statement. Project Pat's - Kelly Green just got removed from my Apple Music library last week.

I think you guys are being disingenuous. Of course songs CAN be removed under certain circumstances. But Spotify doesn't have lists of songs that are added and songs that are removed each month. It's a rare occurence to remove songs, yet the newest songs are constantly added. In Game Pass and Netfix, it's part of the entire model to remove content consistently. Content in, content out each month. I've had my entire Spotify music library for years...not a single song lost. That absolutely is not the case with Game Pass and Netflix.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I just wish that the Game Pass discount lasted a little while longer.

I started playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse just before it left Game Pass last month. The text on the Game Pass Web site was ambiguous; it promised that I could continue playing if I bought it, and that games that have been on Game Pass for 30+ days are discounted (and 60+ days discounted more). What it didn't say was that the discount disappears on the 1st of the month that it leaves. I actually got to play for about another week before my access was revoked, but by then, I could no longer buy it at a discount. Sigh.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
You mean I don't have permanent access to potential petabytes of music with my one time payment of $9.99.

I am appalled, and now I support the slaughter of millionaires to quench my thirst for blood because of this atrocity.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, if you're going with this bullshit narrative of "I can access songs forever in Spotify fuck M$ and Xbox!", the one and only album of Them Crooked Vultures was unavailable for a couple of years and returned in 2018. I listened a lot to it and noticed.

Licencing rights are a thing. Don't act like you don't know how those work.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Wait, I don't own them?

cover2.jpg

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I think you guys are being disingenuous. Of course songs CAN be removed under certain circumstances. But Spotify doesn't have lists of songs that are added and songs that are removed each month. It's a rare occurence to remove songs, yet the newest songs are constantly added. In Game Pass and Netfix, it's part of the entire model to remove content consistently. Content in, content out each month. I've had my entire Spotify music library for years...not a single song lost. That absolutely is not the case with Game Pass and Netflix.

Spotify pays artists $0.004 every time someone streams their song. They can afford to keep the songs practically indefinitely because again, they only pay royalties when a song is streamed.

Gamepass is different in that MS pays out just for the game being there. So if no one downloads and plays the game the dev/publisher gets paid regardless. Which is why games get cycled out.

So the reason why one service (Spotify) keeps songs longer and the other service (Gamepass) cycles thru games is a direct consequence of how each respective service monetizes it's artists/creators.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spotify pays artists $0.004 every time someone streams their song. They can afford to keep the songs practically indefinitely because again, they only pay royalties when a song is streamed.

Gamepass is different in that MS pays out just for the game being there. So if no one downloads and plays the game the dev/publisher gets paid regardless. Which is why games get cycled out.

So the reason why one service (Spotify) keeps songs longer and the other service (Gamepass) cycles thru games is a direct consequence of how each respective service monetizes it's artists/creators.

Absolutely true. I don't disagree at all. For the record, I adore both Spotify and Game Pass. I was merely stating how they're very different from each other.

Songs vanish from Spotify constantly. Playlists can look like a graveyard after a while.

I guess it's a total fluke then that my music has never been touched in 3 years.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
Game Pass to me is almost like a demo service. It has made me try a lot of new and interesting games/genres that I would normally spend my own money on. It also has let me play games that I know I would only play once and then be done with it instead of waiting 6+ months for sale or spending full price on day one.

If there is a game I know I will really want to play or want to support the dev, I will go out and buy it. I don't think anyone is confused that if you are paying for a subscription service, you don't own that content you are getting access too. Is there a big confustion around the Games for Gold deals? I don't own those the moment I stop paying for XBL. Same for PSN+ games, we don't own those if we stop paying for PSN.

Game Pass I feel is trying to be exactly the Netflix of video games and a very large portion of people are okay with Netflix and not owning their shows/movies/etc on there.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you have 'Show unavailable songs in your playlist' on?

Every single playlist I have has at least some missing random songs, some entire albums, others entire artists selections.

Yup. And I just scrolled through the whole list now of songs (hundreds of them) to double check. Not a single song unavailable.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
We really arguing the details between Game Pass and Spotify? If Game Pass isn't a good value because games leave the service, don't subscribe. Problem solved.

Only time I look at products as anti-consumer is 1) they use anti-competitive tactics to drive out competition and have a monopoly or 2) they're dishonest or intentionally confusing in messaging so customers aren't getting what they thought they paid for.

I don't see either. It's pretty straightforward what the service is. You don't have to like it. I don't understand why anyone thinks the messaging is confusing. Only thing that confused me was getting Ultimate extended to late 2021 after paying $1 to upgrade the damned thing.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean, sure but they also offer a discount if you want to fully "own" the game which is a pretty decent compromise especially compared to any other similar service (obviously digitally).

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really feels like they wanted to have a "gotcha" article on the basis that gamers aren't particularly used to subscription services, ignoring that Live Gold and PS Plus/Now also exist and that most gamers are familiar with services like Netflix or Spotify.

With GWG and PS+ you own the games forever though, as long as you don't unsubscribe. It's two different models, and as long as people are aware of that it's fine.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wait a minute......! ....These games can rotate out of the service...Just like my netflix subscription.....I need an article on Netflix to letthe world know we do not own these programs or films...

..What a strange article.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
It's the reason why I don't like the subscription model. I like to buy games and then play them years later, whenever I feel like. With a subscription, you have to play the games they want when they want. Besides, I have hundreds of games already, adding more to the pile is nothing special. Obviously a subscription is cheaper, if you're ok with the games selection, but thankfully it's not a problem I have.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With GWG and PS+ you own the games forever though, as long as you don't unsubscribe. It's two different models, and as long as people are aware of that it's fine.

It's different, but at the same time you don't have actual ownership of these games either because they're tied to a subscription service. The first party games in Game Pass will also never leave the service, so rest assured Gears Of War 4 or The Master Chief Collection will be there in many years. But you do lose access to them the moment you fail to renew your sub. In that sense it works in the same way, and by now (considering between PS Plus and Live Gold this thing has been going on for almost a decade now) gamers likely understood the deal.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Gamepass however I wish the Xbox could tell you which ones have expired from the service easily.
Do you mean games you had previously downloaded but was removed from service afterwards? I agree that it would be nice if you could see that when looking at your games library

The only other request I would make is that often we only get about a 2 weeks notification that they are leaving the service

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of this article, besides stating the obvious? Really love a game and want to keep it in your library permanently? Just buy it!

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
This is me as well, so many games I would have never experienced if not for game pass. I'm currently playing battle chasers which is a turn based rpg which I use to love growing up and I've already put 40 hours into the game. Last game I was this into was when the Witcher 3 released. I can say for sure that if the game was to leave game pass tomorrow I'd be buying it tomorrow. It's so many gems I can finally get to discover. Gonna see what all the fuss about hollow knight is next.

100% agree with what you said. It really has opened things up for me, especially for Indie type of games. There are some games that I bought the DLC content just to experience more of the game on GP and when that game is announced to come off of GP I will buy it since I bought the DLC.

No I am going to go download Battle Chasers because I loved turn based RPG's back in the day and it has been a while since I played one. Thanks!