• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
$180 is still a lot for a rental though, and it's not like that's going to cover all the games you want to play

It's a bit disingenuous to call Gamepass a rental service. And no, it's not going to cover all of the games you want to play, but I'd go as far as saying that it's factually incorrect to suggest that Gamepass is anything but a wonderful value proposition - especially as the service ages. With Microsoft having recently expanded its internal development capabilities by 7 studios, and their public willingness to add more, I would say in a year or two - the subscription would be well worth the $10-15 based on Microsoft's output alone.

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't have a One is useless. What he is pointing, I presume, it's he subbed to GP to play the Pc games present on the service, and now Microsoft is asking for another sub. I hope they will provide a way to transfer your sub, I'm in the same position.
When is your next renewal? Cancel now and then buy the PC version sub. Even if you have a few weeks left, you'll still get to play the Xbox exclusives you originally subbed for until you switch to the PC version.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I hope it's just some misunderstanding floating around here. Otherwise, what a way to crush your own hype. Getting a license that works on both PC and Xbox has been the great thing about Microsoft's ecosystem. I'm already playing Microsoft's games on both platforms so it's not like I'll go cheering MS after they officially launch the PC Gamepass service if the games I can play today won't be playable anymore unless I subscribe on a new service.

I don't think they will be taking away play anywhere titles because that would be a bad move especially as the current Xbox game pass has that feature advertised. However I don't think it's reasonable to expect access to the games that won't be available on Xbox that are included with the new Pc game pass all for the same price. The value you get from a sub is already really good, can we really expect access to a fuck load more PC games for the same price? It would be amazing but it's unrealistic.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
When is your next renewal? Cancel now and then buy the PC version sub. Even if you have a few weeks left, you'll still get to play the Xbox exclusives you originally subbed for until you switch to the PC version.
Less than three months or so, already canceled anyway because I'm on PC and there are currently like 10 games you can play.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they will be taking away play anywhere titles because that would be a bad move especially as the current Xbox game pass has that feature advertised. However I don't think it's reasonable to expect access to the games that won't be available on Xbox that are included with the new Pc game pass all for the same price. The value you get from a sub is already really good, can we really expect access to a fuck load more PC games for the same price? It would be amazing but it's unrealistic.
If the first party games are still there for free on PC through Play Anywhere and the regular Xbox Game Pass then I'd be okay with it, then I can keep playing the games I'm already playing and can make another decision later if I want even more. No issue for me then.
But if they lock me out from something I'm already having access to right now then I'll be pissed no matter how they try to spin the value proposition.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It's a bit disingenuous to call Gamepass a rental service. And no, it's not going to cover all of the games you want to play, but I'd go as far as saying that it's factually incorrect to suggest that Gamepass is anything but a wonderful value proposition - especially as the service ages. With Microsoft having recently expanded its internal development capabilities by 7 studios, and their public willingness to add more, I would say in a year or two - the subscription would be well worth the $10-15 based on Microsoft's output alone.
I don't think it's that disingenuous, you don't own anything at the end. It's like Netflix.

And if not many of the games interest you, it's not going to be a good value no matter how much stuff is on there.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
If the first party games are still there for free on PC through Play Anywhere and the regular Xbox Game Pass then I'd be okay with it, then I can keep playing the games I'm already playing and can make another decision later if I want even more. No issue for me then.
But if they lock me out from something I'm already having access to right now then I'll be pissed no matter how they try to spin the value proposition.

As you should be. It would be a really bad move and a pointless one. Nothing should change about the current game pass, I just expect a separate PC version with games that aren't available on Xbox or aren't included with play anywhere. I'm sure at launch the PC version will be available for pretty cheap to get people in to the eco system.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
No upgrade to Ultimate.
Which is not a good deal at all... I'm good with my XB1 Gamepass where I can easily find 6 months/$30 deals

I just don't get why they're treating Gamepass PC as a different sub. It really doesn't make sense.

lets not even consider gold, 15 dollars a month to play high quality PC games and Xbox Games (including all first party studio games upon launch) is a bad deal now?

I'm sorry but you sound like an idiot now.

I'm the idiot for not wanting to spend $15 for a month of Gamepass. Got it. You people are dense.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Which is not a good deal at all... I'm good with my XB1 Gamepass where I can easily find 6 months/$30 deals

I just don't get why they're treating Gamepass PC as a different sub. It really doesn't make sense.
Why wouldnt you find the same deals for the other subs?
They treat is different as its abit different outside first party titles.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Interesting news, let's see the details at E3... pricing will be a concern and hope ultimate will deliver value.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If you can point me to the Gamepass Ultimate deals.... I'm ready to buy dude.

$15 for a month of gamepass is not a good deal lol.
Ultimate is not out yet...
Offcourse it will get the same deals regular gamepass you are getting now. Like join for 1 buck or 50% for 6 months etc.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it's that disingenuous, you don't own anything at the end. It's like Netflix.

And if not many of the games interest you, it's not going to be a good value no matter how much stuff is on there.

You mean... it's a subscription service? There's a difference between a subscription service like Spotify and Netflix, where you have unlimited access to curated media on the platform, and a renting something - where you pay X dollars to borrow that specific item for an allotted time.

And personally being uninterested in the library doesn't make it a bad value proposition, which means its a service that's attractive to customers at large. It just means you personally don't like it, which is fine.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017

I guess we will have to wait and see how big the library difference is at E3. If it's pretty substantial with some heavy PC hitters then I can understand a separate sub. If it's 90% the same games then not so much. I've seen you post in a few other threads and one thing I certainly agree with you on is that more games on the service need to be X enhanced.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've still no interest in these type of services. But I want to thank Microsoft for giving us the choice to play their games on here or buy them on other stores. if you would ask me before I would have absolutely assumed they would use the games to funnel you into their service. Great turn, great strategy.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Ultimate is not out yet...
Offcourse it will get the same deals regular gamepass you are getting now. Like join for 1 buck or 50% for 6 months etc.
Oh yea I'm sure they'll have those. They seem to only trigger if you don't have GP already though, which is kinda eh.

I buy my gamepass subs from the B/S/T thread on this very site. Dudes are almost always selling subs at great deals.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I guess we will have to wait and see how big the library difference is at E3. If it's pretty substantial with some heavy PC hitters then I can understand a separate sub. If it's 90% the same games then not so much. I've seen you post in a few other threads and one thing I certainly agree with you on is that more games on the service need to be X enhanced.
It would still make more sense if they just had one subscription, I don't see the problem doing that.

Right now I'd guess that there are more Playstation and Nintendo gamers with PCs than Xbox gamers anyway, because of the shared first party library, so getting free Xbox games that aren't on the PC Game Pass might actually push those toward an Xbox purchase.
They would very likely gain more from the positive talk from such a move than if they're essentially trying to lure their most devoted fans to double dip. .

Another thing, the name "Xbox Game Pass for PC" makes no sense either if it's a separate PC only subscription. Why not just call it PC Game Pass in that case?

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It would still make more sense if they just had one subscription, I don't see the problem doing that.

Right now I'd guess that there are more Playstation and Nintendo gamers with PCs than Xbox gamers anyway, because of the shared first party library, so getting free Xbox games that aren't on the PC Game Pass might actually push those toward an Xbox purchase.
They would very likely gain more from the positive talk from such a move than if they're essentially trying to lure their most devoted fans to double dip. .

Another thing, the name "Xbox Game Pass for PC" makes no sense either if it's a separate PC only subscription. Why not just call it PC Game Pass in that case?

It's really going to depend on the quality of the line up of the PC version. If it's launching with new or substantial games then offering both services for the current price would probably be unrealistic unless MS are loss leading. I guess some of the deals with Epic would complicate things in a shared library as well unless any game signed as an EGS exclusive on PC is unavailable to PC users?

Xbox Game pass for PC is indeed a shit name. Is that confirmed or not? E3 will tell us a lot.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really cool, I expected this last E3 but these things take time to do right. With the steps MS has been taking recently I can easily see them dominating at least in the US next cycle if things play out right.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Im not sure what could be going wrong.
In the Insider App on the things you can opt in to, opting into Ultimate was/is an option.
Then you should immediately be taken to the Ultimate splash page or whatever once in.
All your Gold and Gamepass months get added up then in your membership section it should show Gamepass Ultimate.

Im Alpha Skip-Ahead and thats all I did.
My friend is Beta and towards the beginning of the month he got the opt-in to Ultimate option in the Insider App, thats how I know its out of Alpha and now open to Alpha and Beta insiders.

What I'm saying is the option no longer appears.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
For those trying to switch: the Game Pass Ultimate preview ended a few days ago I'm pretty sure.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Massive move. I have game pass because of Sea of Thieves and a couple of play anywhere titles.

Always wished they either launched a separate pass for PC users or have some way to detect PC game pass players.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome news, because even as nice as the access to Play Anywhere titles from a normal Xbox Game Pass has been, a full-throated PC offering means that's bolstered even more.

That said, if the PC Game Pass is separate, people will be annoyed by the naming of (1) "Xbox Game Pass for PC" and also the (2) "Ultimate Game Pass" offering that won't include the expanded PC offerings. I 100% think it's reasonable to have these as separate subscriptions, but the naming has painted them into a corner in terms of valid annoyance from users.

The services/offerings have been nothing but incredible, so they have all the goodwill in the world from me, but they need to be aware of this in the longer term.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
This is great and hopefully it means more than just what it currently is but a full selection. I use Gamepass frequently having played CD3, SOT, SOD, FH4 etc just for PC and well worth it already but would be even better particularly as it's not always clear for which titles for third party games that are play anywhere and gamepass. Like I remember I think it was SOTR it was on gamepass, it's on PC but you don't actually get to play it on PC with gamepass and have to buy it separately.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is great and hopefully it means more than just what it currently is but a full selection. I use Gamepass frequently having played CD3, SOT, SOD, FH4 etc just for PC and well worth it already but would be even better particularly as it's not always clear for which titles for third party games that are play anywhere and gamepass. Like I remember I think it was SOTR it was on gamepass, it's on PC but you don't actually get to play it on PC with gamepass and have to buy it separately.
Check the OP for wich publishers already joined. :)

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
PSA to anyone wanting to convert subs to Ultimate: You can still convert by searching for Game Pass Ultimate on the Microsoft Store. I had to use the Windows 10 App Store but it worked.