• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moshio

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought one for a while, but I went through four before giving up. All had the a button issue.

for what it's worth I bought one of the new Xbox wireless controllers and it works perfectly.

For all four of yours, did it depend on the angle you pressed the button? Or were some worse than others regardless how you pressed it?

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all four of yours, did it depend on the angle you pressed the button? Or were some worse than others regardless how you pressed it?
It definitely depended on the angle (south west was specifically where I had issues), but it was a very natural angle to hit the button from and it happens a lot in regular use. It was so bad that if I tried I could hit the a button a certain way which would never register. This was possible on every single elite series 2 controller I tried.

I have a new Xbox (Series X|S) controller and the A button works so well that no matter how hard I try I can't repeat the issue I had with the elite series 2.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have the original which I still use. Favorite feeling controller hands down and prefer the AA battery vs chargeable. That being said the dual sense haptics have made it so that Microsoft needs to step it's game up before I'll consider a new elite. Haptics or no go.

Moshio

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely depended on the angle (south west was specifically where I had issues), but it was a very natural angle to hit the button from and it happens a lot in regular use. It was so bad that if I tried I could hit the a button a certain way which would never register. This was possible on every single elite series 2 controller I tried.

I have a new Xbox (Series X|S) controller and the A button works so well that no matter how hard I try I can't repeat the issue I had with the elite series 2.

The way you describe it is exactly what I've noticed in terms of knowing which angle causes the issue and making it happen on command. Unfortunately, even when I don't try to make it happen I notice mishits at least once or twice a game during Rocket League. I was hoping that'd be fixed by now as my original Elite is breaking down, and it's hard to go back to a normal controller on games like that. If you had four in a row with that issue it makes me wonder how many don't have that problem, especially after reading through the closed Reddit megathread about the controller.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way you describe it is exactly what I've noticed in terms of knowing which angle causes the issue and making it happen on command. Unfortunately, even when I don't try to make it happen I notice mishits at least once or twice a game during Rocket League. I was hoping that'd be fixed by now as my original Elite is breaking down, and it's hard to go back to a normal controller on games like that. If you had four in a row with that issue it makes me wonder how many don't have that problem, especially after reading through the closed Reddit megathread about the controller.
Yeah I'd call it a very widespread issue. There are people who swear their elite series 2 controllers are fine, so maybe there are a lucky few but I really wonder if they just haven't noticed that their a buttons aren't perfect. Like you said, if you don't look for it you might only experience the issue once or twice in a session. It's enough to be completely unacceptable, but it's also just low enough for those unaware of the issues to write off as their own mistake.

I totally feel your pain. I didn't want to go back to a standard controller either, but I had to and I've gotten by with it. I miss the paddles and high sticks though.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Has there been any news on a Firmware and Controller App update to better integrate in the Series X/S launch as well as maybe even add some of the improvements they did with the new controller to it?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
As far as I can figure the share bottom doesn't do anything on PC.
What improvements? Genuinely curious.
For the App it still doesn't recognize the new Xbox Series X/S controller so as Smash Kirby said the Share button can't be used/remapped. Likewise you can't seem to be able to map the Share button to the Elite if you so wished.

As for the Elite improvements although I'm not sure what exactly it's missing compared to the XSX controller outside of the hardware differences (ie: Smaller size, Bluetooth LTE, Texture grip, D-pad, share button, ect...) I'm mostly referring to things MSFT mentioned like reduced input latency. Some of it is outlined in this article

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Did they ever fix the bluetooth issues with an update? I've been using mine wired for a while but it'd be nice to use it wireless without getting a dongle.

It's especially bad since regular Xbone S/X controllers work fine over bluetooth, no issues.

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
For the App it still doesn't recognize the new Xbox Series X/S controller so as Smash Kirby said the Share button can't be used/remapped. Likewise you can't seem to be able to map the Share button to the Elite if you so wished.

As for the Elite improvements although I'm not sure what exactly it's missing compared to the XSX controller outside of the hardware differences (ie: Smaller size, Bluetooth LTE, Texture grip, D-pad, share button, ect...) I'm mostly referring to things MSFT mentioned like reduced input latency. Some of it is outlined in this article
You can assign the Share functionality to a button when you use the Shift functionality.
I have set one paddle as a shift button and I have set LB to "take screenshot" and RB to "capture video"

works great. :)
It's underneath the Action tab instead of Button when you configure your Elite 2.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
You can assign the Share functionality to a button when you use the Shift functionality.
I have set one paddle as a shift button and I have set LB to "take screenshot" and RB to "capture video"

works great. :)
It's underneath the Action tab instead of Button when you configure your Elite 2.
I just checked and I don't have that functionality, but it could be because I'm using the Xbox Accessories app on PC which hasn't been updated yet like the Xbox one has. Still thanks for the info, I'll look into it some more later :)

Nov 1, 2017
Picked up an Elite with some gift cards and absolutely love it...but the upper right paddle is mushy and doesn't click in as well as the other paddles. It's a small thing but it bothers me, as someone who was really looking forward to using all four of them.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a new elite series 2 and when I registered it to MS it tells me the warranty expires Dec 22. I'll take it I guess.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does Microsoft just have a big bin of returned controllers that they just grab one out of and send to you as a replacement???

Currently awaiting controller #4.
Last controller had drift so bad I could move the camera by tilting the controller.
Suppose it was a nice imitation of gyro control.

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
Had the double clicking of both bumpers on my elite 2 after 8 months use, wasn't bothered getting it replaced as reading online it seems to be a common issue so just replaced the switches myself, hopefully don't get any other issues.

Last edited:

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I'm really struggling with mine currently. My xbox series x died and since they've sent it back I just can't get the settings right. Playing wz on my ps5 feels natural but something with this feels off no matter what I do..can anybody give any recs? Particularly around settings in accessories?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Of fucking course I get a sticky trigger a month after the warranty expires

what a piece of shit

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having bumper issues after 4 months. Was working fine up until a month ago, now the R bumper double click pretty frequently whenever I use it. Pretty fucking annoyed about it.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
My right bumper is fucked, of course just a month after my warranty ended. They want $100 for a repair? Wtf.
Similar thing happened with the first controller after I had it repaired once 🙄

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
I've almost bought the Elite controller twice, once for each iteration. I'm holding out for a version 3 that doesn't have any quality control issues :fingers crossed:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I almost bought one today, but realized how much better the new form factor is. just give me an announcement MS. My Halo 5 play needs those paddles

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
So my S2 finally developed an issue a few weeks ago. About 40 hours into Nioh 2 the right bumper stopped registering presses unless I applied a ton of pressure. Fortunately I still had 2 weeks left on my warranty. I sent it in and got the replacement today.

I can't tell if the replacement is new or not... The packaging looks new and it has all the parts and stuff, but the grips have some white marks on them. It looks like sweat? The rest of the controller and all the components are pristine. Maybe mixing old and new parts?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm getting the exact same issue on the right bumper. Sometimes it's not responsive and other times it double presses.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the consensus then? Quality issues so be careful if you buy it?

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Is Msft phasing out Series 2? I sent mine for repair due to a left stick drift, took them over 3 weeks to send me a replacement which was new
but seems all stores are sold out (except Microsoft's)

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Is Msft phasing out Series 2? I sent mine for repair due to a left stick drift, took them over 3 weeks to send me a replacement which was new
but seems all stores are sold out (except Microsoft's)
I feel like they have to be producing a new one with the newer form factor.

I feel super lucky none of mine have developed issues like the folks here but I never use the triggers or the bumpers, I specifically use the paddles in place of those buttons.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been on a short controller journey after my Elite Series 2 had the dreaded RB issues. My 4th controller...
It was no longer in warranty, but luckily I had the Best Buy extended warranty. At the time I felt kind of silly buying an extended warranty for a controller, but goddamn I'm glad I did. BB's warranty is unmatched in my experience. I received my e-gift card mere hours after dropping the package off at UPS to be shipped to Best Buy.

With my gift card in my digital hands, I decided to try out a new controller since the Elite was such a hassle. First one I tried was the Razer Wolverine Ultimate, and whew, that controller was hot garbage. The fact that on PC it doesn't work with Synapse 3, but instead you have to download the Synapse for Xbox app through the Windows Store. On Windows, it's laggy and super limited. I couldn't map the back buttons to keyboard keys, or macros, and the controller doesn't report the back buttons to Windows correctly, so I couldn't even use a third party tool like reWASD to map the controller how I'd like.
Also, the LB button didn't work right out of the box!

Next I tried the Thrustmaster Eswap Pro X, and it had the same issue as the Wolverine when it came to remapping. The back buttons didn't show up in Windows at all. Another controller too that required me to download the app built for Xbox from the Windows Store.

So after slumming around with these controllers, I arrived back at the Elite Series 2. Even with the quality issues, it's still the best controller for PC imo.
It was on sale at Amazon for one hundred and ninety nine loonies, so I price matched at Best Buy and used the savings to buy the extended warranty. Bonus, since the price match put it under $200, the extended warranty was $40 instead of $70.

The box design is slightly different, and mentioned the Xbox Series X|S so hopefully that means it's from a newer manufacturing line and the build quality issues won't be as bad. Right? 😬

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I've been on a short controller journey after my Elite Series 2 had the dreaded RB issues. My 4th controller...
It was no longer in warranty, but luckily I had the Best Buy extended warranty. At the time I felt kind of silly buying an extended warranty for a controller, but goddamn I'm glad I did. BB's warranty is unmatched in my experience. I received my e-gift card mere hours after dropping the package off at UPS to be shipped to Best Buy.

With my gift card in my digital hands, I decided to try out a new controller since the Elite was such a hassle. First one I tried was the Razer Wolverine Ultimate, and whew, that controller was hot garbage. The fact that on PC it doesn't work with Synapse 3, but instead you have to download the Synapse for Xbox app through the Windows Store. On Windows, it's laggy and super limited. I couldn't map the back buttons to keyboard keys, or macros, and the controller doesn't report the back buttons to Windows correctly, so I couldn't even use a third party tool like reWASD to map the controller how I'd like.
Also, the LB button didn't work right out of the box!

Next I tried the Thrustmaster Eswap Pro X, and it had the same issue as the Wolverine when it came to remapping. The back buttons didn't show up in Windows at all. Another controller too that required me to download the app built for Xbox from the Windows Store.

So after slumming around with these controllers, I arrived back at the Elite Series 2. Even with the quality issues, it's still the best controller for PC imo.
It was on sale at Amazon for one hundred and ninety nine loonies, so I price matched at Best Buy and used the savings to buy the extended warranty. Bonus, since the price match put it under $200, the extended warranty was $40 instead of $70.

The box design is slightly different, and mentioned the Xbox Series X|S so hopefully that means it's from a newer manufacturing line and the build quality issues won't be as bad. Right? 😬
Probably not. I've replaced both of mine. Thank god for my Best Buy extended warranty.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man... my wife got me one of these for Christmas in 2019. It sat on my pc desk until Series X came out and then I started using it regularly. The left trigger became sticky within a month. Read it was an internal adhesive cushion that had likely come loose, so I thought okay, surely the stickiness will just wear off. Months later and now my left thumbstick just randomly registers upward input even when it's just sitting on a table not being used. Looked at their out of warranty repair service today and it's 99$ fucking dollars. Half the cost of a new controller. So frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing with and enjoying this controller (mostly switching between Titanfall 2 and Resident Evil Village) recently after not really using it all that much. Welp, the left stick is now drifting. I bought it in March 2020 so it's way out of the manufacturer's warranty. Am I SOL?

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been playing with and enjoying this controller (mostly switching between Titanfall 2 and Resident Evil Village) recently after not really using it all that much. Welp, the left stick is now drifting. I bought it in March 2020 so it's way out of the manufacturer's warranty. Am I SOL?

You might be, but all you can do is try. They did increase the warranty from 90 days to 1 year, so if you contact customer service and explain the situation they may help you out.

Oct 25, 2017
You might be, but all you can do is try. They did increase the warranty from 90 days to 1 year, so if you contact customer service and explain the situation they may help you out.
Okay thanks, I'll try that. Yeah, I really like the controller so experiencing the stick drift issue was so frustrating. I was hoping I would dodge that bullet.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Okay thanks, I'll try that. Yeah, I really like the controller so experiencing the stick drift issue was so frustrating. I was hoping I would dodge that bullet.

I love this controller, but the build quality issues are unacceptable. It basically adds an extra $40+ to the cost of the controller since extended warranty is a must with this thing. At least my newest controller doesn't have any issues right out of the box.

Oct 28, 2017
Do these still have the problems with unresponsive face buttons? I tried two when the came out and gave up and got a Razer raiju instead.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Do these still have the problems with unresponsive face buttons? I tried two when the came out and gave up and got a Razer raiju instead.

It's only been about a week or so with my new Elite but there hasn't been any issues out of the box at least.
All my other Elite controllers had the face button issues immediately, and my second to last one had drift out of the box. My final one was fine for several months before developing the unresponsive/double clicking right shoulder button.

Those were all replacements from Microsoft. The one I have now was bought brand new from Best Buy last week after returning my last one via their extended warranty. I purchased extended warranty for the new one as well, since I have no doubt I'll be using it.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I honestly don't know when it was fixed, but it seems like my controller now works without issue over Bluetooth on W10. Was it a controller driver update? A Windows Bluetooth update? I don't know, but I'm not complaining!