• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if Microsoft swaps the controller with a new one, new serial number, they shouldn't give you a new warranty?
At least ALL stores and brand do that in Europe, I think it's a law. But they refuse to do that to me.

Also I switched the controller like 3 times and it always comes with the problem on the thumbstick lol

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Do these things fare any better when used with an Xbox One? I've been using mine with Steam games; over Bluetooth it can be pretty flaky (seems to vary depending on the game, weirdly), but even connected via USB it's kind of terrible.

You can use these with PC over regular bluetooth? I thought you needed the dongle?

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
The Elite Series 2 (and also any controllers issued since Xbox One S or X) have Bluetooth built in as well as the Xbox 2.4GHz wireless standard, but it's not great.

Oh cool. Didn't realise that.

Does this dongle just make the connection more reliable?

Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 (Xbox One): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

Buy Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 (Xbox One) from Amazon.co.uk. Everyday low prices on a huge range of consoles, games and accessories.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Happy to say that I got one of these about 3 weeks ago as a gift from my wife and I love it so far. No issues at all, working great with my PC.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

Felix Andrews

Nov 3, 2017

Buy Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 (Xbox One) from Amazon.co.uk. Everyday low prices on a huge range of consoles, games and accessories.
My understanding is that it's generally regarded as being more stable than straight Bluetooth, aye.

Huh? Never heard of that before. FWIW, I have the OG adapter from 3+ years ago and the refresh model from last fall, both genuine Microsoft products, and have had zero issues whatsoever.
I haven't heard this scuttlebutt about official products, but there's an awful lot of counterfeit Xbox receivers out there.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
My understanding is that it's generally regarded as being more stable than straight Bluetooth, aye.

I haven't heard this scuttlebutt about official products, but there's an awful lot of counterfeit Xbox receivers out there.

Didn't know there were counterfeit ones out there. Yikes. I bought both of mine at Microsoft Store. Functionally, both old and new versions perform the same as far as I can tell and they're super reliable to this day.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Didn't know there were counterfeit ones out there. Yikes. I bought both of mine at Microsoft Store. Functionally, both old and new versions perform the same as far as I can tell and they're super reliable to this day.

Thanks, MS had an offer on. I'd rather not have to mess around with pairing and repairing bluetooth, so extra stability seems worth the outlay.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Ms should release a new elite controller made for Series X. Hopefully next year. And bring back support for Aa batteries.

I wonder what the odds of this are. I'm planning on getting on XSX and would love to get this controller but I don't want to regret it if they announced a revision the next year.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta release a sonic blue one with that share button!

It'd be pretty sweet if they offered them in colors, but I guess they're too niche. If offered the Elite controller as an option in the Design Lab I bet a bunch of people would customize one though, even if it were a $20-30 upcharge.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Accessories app and all the customizations that come with it, but I do wish they would allow a bit more. It'd be nice to be able to customize the View and Menu buttons so that if you long-pressed View, for example, it'd take a screenshot, and if you long-pressed Menu, it'd record a video.

Even if it weren't those two buttons specifically, just allowing long-press commands would go a long way. I just can't figure out what button I'd be able to "sacrifice" as a Shift Key to take screenshots on mine.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
I just returned my Series 1 controller after my face buttons started sticking, triggers squeaking and d-pad creaking.

They didn't have any Series 1 controllers left to replace it with, so I opted to pay the difference and take the chance on a Series 2, despite what I've read online.

The Series 2 unit I received was in shocking condition. The stick "dimples" were off center on many of the sticks, the rubber grips looked impacted in a few locations and they were otherwise smudged or covered in a grey powder. One of the triggers had a scratch on the smooth part of the metal.

The guy told me it was new, not refurbished.

I decided I can't take the chance with this kind of money, and got a refund. It's such a shame because I loved my Elite and I feel bad about getting money back since it was a gift from my siblings.

Is there any real alternative to this that feels as luxurious?

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Seems like both of the bumpers on my controller are broken, I have to put a lot of pressure on them past the click to get a press to register. Also, both of the nubs for the trigger depth selectors have fallen off, the triggers stick a bit when pulled, and the controller is constantly dropping its connection even though I'm using the Xbox dongle... This is probably one of the worst "premium" products I've ever bought.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
The Elite Series 2 (and also any controllers issued since Xbox One S or X) have Bluetooth built in as well as the Xbox 2.4GHz wireless standard, but it's not great.

I currently have the Series 1, so no way to connect wirelessly to my PC without the adapter. Wondering I should drop $25 for it or just keep using my DualShock4 with the PC when I'm out of cable range...

Last edited:

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I currently have the Series 1, so no way to connect wirelessly to my PC without the adapter. Wondering I should drop $25 for it or just keep using my DualShock4 with the PC when I'm out of cable range...

I use the adapter anyways because it's a lot easier to deal with than Bluetooth when on the Pc. I never have issues where I need to reconnect like I do with Bluetooth.

Also let's me use Xbox specific headset on the PC

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Yeah I always found the original dongle flawless with my 360 pad, back in the day, so £18 to get my Elite working similarly, seemed like a no brainer to me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
So about 10 days ago, my controller started to get an extreme drift on the left stick if I didn't touch the stick for about 5 seconds. It makes the controller basically unusable because in a game like RDR2, my character will start walking after 5 seconds, or in Madden a defender will jump offsides before the snap, etc. It also occurs in the Xbox UI, in the controller app, etc., it sucks.

I've had the controller since feb, Feb 29, but when I went to initiate an exchange it said it was out of warranty which really pissed me off.... UNTIL... I found if you register the controller through your device registry w/ Microsoft, it'll add an extended warranty for free automatically to the device. For me, it was 2 years, but I think it depends on your state/country.

This is just good to do in general and if you have the controller you may as well do it now. For me, I just did it ... ykmow.. 6+ mos after buying the controller and it just worked, but it'd probably be better to do it sooner rather than lateer.

Process: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18878/microsoft-xbox-device-registration-process

Takes you here: https://account.microsoft.com/devices/ (need to be logged in)

And you can easily add the controller, and it'll up your warranty (at least it did it for me). And then you can start the replacement process right there.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So about 10 days ago, my controller started to get an extreme drift on the left stick if I didn't touch the stick for about 5 seconds. It makes the controller basically unusable because in a game like RDR2, my character will start walking after 5 seconds, or in Madden a defender will jump offsides before the snap, etc. It also occurs in the Xbox UI, in the controller app, etc., it sucks.

I've had the controller since feb, Feb 29, but when I went to initiate an exchange it said it was out of warranty which really pissed me off.... UNTIL... I found if you register the controller through your device registry w/ Microsoft, it'll add an extended warranty for free automatically to the device. For me, it was 2 years, but I think it depends on your state/country.

This is just good to do in general and if you have the controller you may as well do it now. For me, I just did it ... ykmow.. 6+ mos after buying the controller and it just worked, but it'd probably be better to do it sooner rather than lateer.

Process: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18878/microsoft-xbox-device-registration-process

Takes you here: https://account.microsoft.com/devices/ (need to be logged in)

And you can easily add the controller, and it'll up your warranty (at least it did it for me). And then you can start the replacement process right there.
Did that with mine, but it didn't add any extended warranty.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Got a Series 2 for my birthday last week, and loving the upgrades over the Series 1. The one thing that really bothers me (other than the imbeded battery) is the apparent inability to completely turn off the front facing lights. Am I missing something, or does the charging light and profile light always display? Throught the customization setting I can at least once more turn off the Xbox Logo light but not the rest

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so unbelievably disappointed in my experience with this thing.
I picked one up this morning. Set it up, imported my Series 1 configuration in the Accessories app, updated the firmware...
and two hours later, it begins disconnecting from the wireless adapter every 5-10 minutes for 10 seconds at a time, constantly stutters over bluetooth on the aggravatingly rare instances I can even get it to pair, and sounds/feels to have a bad right main vibration motor.
Gonna get it exchanged tomorrow and pray these issues are isolated... the controller genuinely looks and feels incredible.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Reading all of the thoughts on here I'm feeling like waiting for a series 3 with a share button and (hopefully) better reliability will be better. A shame as everything else about this sounds amazing.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Well I went and bought one after reading all the post here signaling that the build quality remains shite. Had enough Bing credit to get it for $90 with a 2 year warranty. Figure by the time the warranty runs out the elite 3 will be out and I'll have enough bing credit for a free upgrade.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great news thanks for sharing!!! I wonder how this works for me.... I got the 2 year extended warranty through MS and a few months ago sent my controller in for repair for a sticky trigger. They just sent me a new controller, so I don't think my original warranty is valid anymore, but I wonder if this new 1 year one is...
You can log into your Microsoft account to check.

An odd (but positive!) surprise, is with mine anyway, instead of extending the warranty from 90 days to 1 year, they added 1 year on top of my 90 days. So i've got a 1 year, 3 month warranty on my controller.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
You can log into your Microsoft account to check.

An odd (but positive!) surprise, is with mine anyway, instead of extending the warranty from 90 days to 1 year, they added 1 year on top of my 90 days. So i've got a 1 year, 3 month warranty on my controller.

Oh hey, It did update! Now it goes out until September 2021! Thanks for the heads up about this!

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
Great. Thanks for this! Gonna try and get mine replaced so I don't have to "deal" with the double-left bumper press on mine that ruins my Warlock play in D2 lol

I sent mine in to get replaced for a sticky left trigger. It was pretty painless, they actually sent me a brand new controller + carrying case + accessories as well. So now I have 2 cases + 2 sets of paddles/joysticks... If/when you do send in your controller don't forget to remove all the paddles, dpad, and joysticks.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I sent mine in to get replaced for a sticky left trigger. It was pretty painless, they actually sent me a brand new controller + carrying case + accessories as well. So now I have 2 cases + 2 sets of paddles/joysticks... If/when you do send in your controller don't forget to remove all the paddles, dpad, and joysticks.

Thanks. Yeah I used the warranty on my Series 1 controller when the d-pad left stopped working on me, they ended up sending me everything extra just like yours even though I sent in nothing but the controller. Even mentioned to remove the battery cover.

One thing is I did open a service request back in March for my series 2 but never got around to shipping it as that was right around when bigger lockdowns started in my city and I stopped doing "un-needed" things in public.

It said on the site that if they didn't recveive my controller within 30 days they'd cancel the request. But looking on the site it seems that never was cancelled and they're still waiting for receipt of my controller. It won't let me make a new service request, so hopefully they won't give me too much trouble just printing the shipping label and using the service request from March...

And it doesn't seem like I can actually talk to any support aout this as it says Live chat and phone support not available for this.

Hmm..

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Got my 3rd replacement from MS now. Triggers are perfect, no squeaking, but the A-button only responds when pressed at exactly the right angle. That's been the case on all 4 controllers I've had.

What a shitshow, A-button is perfect on all other Xbox controllers I own, so it's not like they don't know how to make it work.

Not sure if I'll bother sending it in again, tired of this stupid process.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here know if you can extend the warranty and if so, how? Just started the process for my first service order, but the warranty itself expires next month too, so I'd like to extend it if possible.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
Got my 3rd replacement from MS now. Triggers are perfect, no squeaking, but the A-button only responds when pressed at exactly the right angle. That's been the case on all 4 controllers I've had.

What a shitshow, A-button is perfect on all other Xbox controllers I own, so it's not like they don't know how to make it work.

Not sure if I'll bother sending it in again, tired of this stupid process.

What did you do in the end and did you have any luck getting a working controller?

Just bought an Elite 2 for PC use to replace my Wolverine Ultimate which is falling apart just out of warranty, having the same problems with the A and Y buttons.

Honestly might just get another Wolverine from somewhere that offers extended warranty rather than go through a whole song and dance sending it back and getting replacements. Looks like it's just not worth it.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I have that same issue with the A button where it won't always register if I'm pressing it with the bottom half of my thumb instead of straight on. Though that seems to be the most widely reported issue with the controller.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
I have that same issue with the A button where it won't always register if I'm pressing it with the bottom half of my thumb instead of straight on. Though that seems to be the most widely reported issue with the controller.

Mine does this as well. I've died in Warzone from dropping in a few times because my parachute didn't open. Are they fixing this or are they sending refurbs back?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Mine does this as well. I've died in Warzone from dropping in a few times because my parachute didn't open. Are they fixing this or are they sending refurbs back?
I've seen reports of being having the issue with multiple controllers (either sending it in or exchanging it at a store), so no clue, honestly. It doesn't seem to be unique to the Elite Series 2 controller, either, though that's certainly where I've read the most about it.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Sending mine in. While I had the problem buttons mapped to paddles already (A, RB) I may as well see if I can get a better unit before my warranty expires.

The controller is amazing, just wish these problems weren't prevalent.

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
Sent mine in October and got it the day farther the series consoles came out. Triggers, bumpers, drift, the trigger locks breaking off. I had tons of problems with mine and they sent me a new one wrapped in bubble wrap while others got brand new controllers off.

no problems to report yet but I feel like the battery on it doesn't last as much as it used to. Also it shows the yellow battery indicator at like 60 or 50% now when it used to be 20% I think.

Moshio

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have had to exchange their controllers due to an unresponsive A button, have you had any luck getting a replacement that fixes that issue? Based on what I've seen in this thread and on Reddit, it seems to be a pretty common problem with people getting replacements with the same issue multiple times. I ask as I got one earlier this week with that issue but not sure if it's worth the hassle to keep exchanging them in case this is very common.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who have had to exchange their controllers due to an unresponsive A button, have you had any luck getting a replacement that fixes that issue? Based on what I've seen in this thread and on Reddit, it seems to be a pretty common problem with people getting replacements with the same issue multiple times. I ask as I got one earlier this week with that issue but not sure if it's worth the hassle to keep exchanging them in case this is very common.
I haven't bought one for a while, but I went through four before giving up. All had the a button issue.

for what it's worth I bought one of the new Xbox wireless controllers and it works perfectly.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
My thumbsticks were getting really worn down so I went onto Amazon and SCUF makes Elite V2 thumbsticks and in all different colors so I got the red and they contrast well with the black controller and they feel great. Only $20 for 4 sticks too compared to paying I think $40-ish from MS.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Funny to see this bumped as I've been having real issues with my second controller now, the face buttons are oooook, A is sometimes unresponsive but mostly ok. But my bumpers were doing the double input thing and not "holding" when I held them down, and rather than sending it to MS for support again and waiting a month and them just sending a new one I tore it open and """"""fixed""""" it by rotating the left bumper thingy (the white plastic table thing) and that fixed that one but the right one then had issues of it not holding but registering a press on release (so click in, 1 press, release, 2 press. Instead of just click in, 1 press, release, nothing). Put a piece of paper between the button and the contact and not it works fine. Probably won't be good long, may go again, not the best fix and I don't reccomend it but eh, working for now meaning I can actually switch targets in FFXIV again properly.

It's a pain to open up but thankfully just clipped right back down, a few marks along the edges but it feels fine, fits fine which I was worried about.