• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Considering getting one of these but one of the main uses would be with my Android TV (Sony) with the Steam Link app. Has anyone tried using it this way and are there any issues? I've googled but I can't find accounts of this.

I've also heard that Xbox One can do some Wireless Display magic? Does this work with steam games? I imagine this will be on Series X as well?

I also heard that there are issues with some models? Stick drift and such.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
This thing is a dream. My Elite 1 didn't fare well in time with the rubber grips peeling and LB coming off but it was still worth it for me so I decided to get V2.

I put that stick tension to max first thing and it's great. You never know with these Elites in the long run but it's perfect out of the box so that's something.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Has anyone heard any rumours of a 3rd version of the Elite being made next year to incorporate some of the Xbox Series X controller enhancements and revisions? I'm looking to swap my 1st gen Elite and trying to decide if I should wait or just get the 2nd gen version which has minimal improvements

OldeManWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Flyover Country
Has anyone heard any rumours of a 3rd version of the Elite being made next year to incorporate some of the Xbox Series X controller enhancements and revisions? I'm looking to swap my 1st gen Elite and trying to decide if I should wait or just get the 2nd gen version which has minimal improvements

If anything were on the way, I'd imagine we'd hear about it this month. I am waiting on a purchase of a new headset to make sure I'm getting something that works well with the new hardware.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
I'd imagine a new one with the share button is inevitable.

Oct 27, 2017

It felt like a million years between the release of Bluetooth Xbox One controllers and the Elite V2 being announced.
Just checked it was actually 3 years. The first Bluetooth Xbox One controllers were released alongside Xbox One S in August 2016. The Elite didn't receive bluetooth until the V2 was released in November 2019.

It was 4 years between the Elite V1 and the V2. If they stick to a similar cadence then we won't get an Elite V3 until 2023.
They were in no hurry to release the V2, I wouldn't expect a V3 any time soon, but no one can say for definite.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
My RB is totally busted now. Playing Apex Legends is a nightmare when you can't use RB to do anything but maybe swap granades. This controller is fucking garbage. What's the point of paddles if LB and RB are useless after a while?

At least here in Europe the guarantee is a whole year but I'm sure the replacement is going to be just as bad.

How can the quality control even be this fucking shitty?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It felt like a million years between the release of Bluetooth Xbox One controllers and the Elite V2 being announced.
Just checked it was actually 3 years. The first Bluetooth Xbox One controllers were released alongside Xbox One S in August 2016. The Elite didn't receive bluetooth until the V2 was released in November 2019.

It was 4 years between the Elite V1 and the V2. If they stick to a similar cadence then we won't get an Elite V3 until 2023.
They were in no hurry to release the V2, I wouldn't expect a V3 any time soon, but no one can say for definite.
Hmmm yeah that's a pretty good point to use that as the basis for comparison. Will keep an eye out for a sale on the V2 and likely splurge by the end of the year to coincide with the XBSX release

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I just got my second replacement Elite Series 2 back from Microsoft today.

It has the unresponsive A-button. Of course.

But it also has this fun little feature when the triggers are in hair-trigger mode:

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
I just want to get the v3 with warranty. My elite v2 has crapped the bed for me. Drifting sticks, dead lb and rb bumpers. You name it.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017

But it also has this fun little feature when the triggers are in hair-trigger mode:

This is just embarrassing. I'd like to know how much money Microsoft is losing by sending these shitty controllers back and forth.

How about fixing these problems instead for your "premium" product?

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017

This is unacceptable for a standard controller, let alone a $180 one. Everyone was expecting the v2 to fix the issues with the v1, but it somehow ended up having more problems

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
How is MS support with this? Mine is out of warranty as its from launch but besides the the trigger lock pad falling off the RT lock doesn't feel locked anymore and it clicks when clicking it in. It's not smooth anymore. Is it worth arguing with them over it?

teague

Dec 17, 2018
How is MS support with this? Mine is out of warranty as its from launch but besides the the trigger lock pad falling off the RT lock doesn't feel locked anymore and it clicks when clicking it in. It's not smooth anymore. Is it worth arguing with them over it?

I'm trying to send in for a replacement (OOW replacement is $100) and will let you know how it goes, not sure if they'll decline replacements if you're willing to pay $100 but I guess we'll see

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to send in for a replacement (OOW replacement is $100) and will let you know how it goes, not sure if they'll decline replacements if you're willing to pay $100 but I guess we'll see
We shouldn't have to pay anything. This controller should have at least a year warranty on it.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
We shouldn't have to pay anything. This controller should have at least a year warranty on it.

Yeah it sucks, something that costs $200 should definitely have a 1-year warranty. Like, my headphones have a 5 year warranty or something, and those are on my head getting oily all the time.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. 5 pages in and i finally find an xbox thread. But not about the series x which is imminent but a thread about the elite controller.
Is the xbox community dead in this forum? Migrated?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Are you supposed to remove this thin fabric pad between the controller and charging dock? It creates a barrier to contact the charger I think?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up reinstalling Dragon Age Inquisition... Remember how you have to spam left stick click in that game to constantly scan around you? Yeah... I'm loving my Elite Controller more and more everyday... So much easier to do that with a paddle instead of the actual click!

Other than the obvious reliability issues, one thing I would love to see added in a future revision is the ability to sync the controller to multiple devices. I have no idea if it is actually possible to do on a technical level but I would love to, for example, have profile 1 on the controller set to be synced with my Xbox, profile 2 with my PC and profile 3 with my 8bitdo wireless dongle I use on my Switch.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Other than the obvious reliability issues, one thing I would love to see added in a future revision is the ability to sync the controller to multiple devices. I have no idea if it is actually possible to do on a technical level but I would love to, for example, have profile 1 on the controller set to be synced with my Xbox, profile 2 with my PC and profile 3 with my 8bitdo wireless dongle I use on my Switch.

That is an excellent idea. I ended up getting two controllers because of this (one for Xbox, another for PC).

While I'm still happy with my purchases (knock on wood), it would be nice to have a toggle button to switch between different devices. Here's hope they consider such feature for V3.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing COD with one of these for a few hours and what a complete waste of the money these are. The paddles are rubbish. I kept hitting them by accident. What the hell is the point of the tall stick? Absolute crap. I had a K/D of 0.50 playing with it.

Don't bother with any of the pointless gimmicks and what you're left with is a controller that feels slightly nicer than the standard one. It should not cost half as much as it does. Oh, and this is my second model because the first one was not working. Avoid. 5/10.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing COD with one of these for a few hours and what a complete waste of the money these are. The paddles are rubbish. I kept hitting them by accident. What the hell is the point of the tall stick? Absolute crap. I had a K/D of 0.50 playing with it.

Don't bother with any of the pointless gimmicks and what you're left with is a controller that feels slightly nicer than the standard one. It should not cost half as much as it does. Oh, and this is my second model because the first one was not working. Avoid. 5/10.
That's unfortunate.

I just can't play certain games without paddles anymore (okay, I totally can , lol. I just don't wanna). Especially games like first/third-person shooters and... the souls games if you can believe that(I really appreciate having a "run" paddle so I can look around while running and binding L3 to jump and mapping that to my usual "jump" paddle" ).

It certainly takes a while to stop hitting paddles accidentally, but it's worth getting used to maybe holding the controller a different way so you don't. It might've been easier for me though, since I don't "grip" the controller with my fingers and pretty much only hold it with my palms.

I don't use the tall stick, but I use those "stick toppers" on all my analog sticks at all times so I'm used to the increased height. Some people like them because they allow for "finer aiming" or what-not.

Bummer you don't like it. I would recommend getting used to it before jumping into multiplayer and expecting it to just "work" though.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are two things about it that are an improvement over the standard controller. The trigger stops are great for FPS games and the built-in battery is supposedly really good. Everything else I prefer the standard controller. Big yikes from me.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
There are two things about it that are an improvement over the standard controller. The trigger stops are great for FPS games and the built-in battery is supposedly really good. Everything else I prefer the standard controller. Big yikes from me.

The fact that you don't understand the taller stocks and can't use the paddles properly probably means these types of controllers are not meant for you lol

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I got a Series 2 controller at launch and had problems with buttons sticking, swapped it twice and both new controllers had sticky buttons as well but also other problems like paddles not clicking. I have up and got a refund rather than play the lottery after trying three controllers all with the same problem. I waited about a year I guess in hopes they'd have sorted things, got one a few weeks ago and it's flawless and it feels so good. My Series 1 was still holding up perfectly well (won the lottery I guess) but the Series 2 just feels nicer, glad to have it.
You can't just put the paddles on and be perfect with them straight away. I'd recommend just putting the top paddles on to start (for A and B) and do it for a while. Eventually you'll be uncomfortable playing shooters without the paddles. Being able to aim with the stick and crouch/jump as the same time without using weird control schemes like bumper jumper is just fantastic. Can't imagine playing games like Titanfall without an Elite controller.

I've been playing the CoD Black Ops Alpha this weekend and I've spent half my time trying to readjust to not using paddles and it really shows how much better shooters are with paddles

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying "You have to like it! You need to like it!" but I think if you're writing it off after only playing with it "for a few hours" without spending time to get used to it, you're selling it short.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And of course, all this is not even touching on the build quality. I've had two controllers delivered to me in the last week and each one has had a broken 'A' button straight out of the box.

The whole project seems like one that should have been scrapped in the R&D phase.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I've unfortunately fallen into this cycle

Had a pad for over a war and the LB just wasn't as sweet as I like. Not even broken. XSX soon so I'd like a pad without a possible developing issue. 3 replacements and all 3 with this shitty A button :(

I'm waiting on an escalated case for someone to get back to me. Everyone with this issue needs to really drive home the point to the rep

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. 5 pages in and i finally find an xbox thread. But not about the series x which is imminent but a thread about the elite controller.
Is the xbox community dead in this forum? Migrated?
this is one shitty post

anyway my elite v2 is holding up
But I fear for its life

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've unfortunately fallen into this cycle

Had a pad for over a war and the LB just wasn't as sweet as I like. Not even broken. XSX soon so I'd like a pad without a possible developing issue. 3 replacements and all 3 with this shitty A button :(

I'm waiting on an escalated case for someone to get back to me. Everyone with this issue needs to really drive home the point to the rep
I'd love to buy one of these but I had three in a row with failing A and X buttons. Wound up getting a refund.

MS really fucked up here. The build quality issues are ridiculous.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to buy one of these but I had three in a row with failing A and X buttons. Wound up getting a refund.

MS really fucked up here. The build quality issues are ridiculous.
It's no red ring, but it must have cost them a pretty penny. Their own fault, though. Two brand new controllers with a faulty A button suggest a pretty widespread problem.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a pretty normal grip and I don't understand how I'm supposed to these paddle without touching them by accident. I've been trying with just one attached and even that is too much.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No issue with my launch elite 2 for me. I'm just glad I won't need to buy an extra controller for série x. Ill have the Normal one and elite 2

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a Series 2 controller at launch and had problems with buttons sticking, swapped it twice and both new controllers had sticky buttons as well but also other problems like paddles not clicking. I have up and got a refund rather than play the lottery after trying three controllers all with the same problem. I waited about a year I guess in hopes they'd have sorted things, got one a few weeks ago and it's flawless and it feels so good. My Series 1 was still holding up perfectly well (won the lottery I guess) but the Series 2 just feels nicer, glad to have it.
Well, this gives me hope! I went through the same process after buying one at launch a year ago, and finally ended up returning it for a refund and kind of gave up on it.

But when it works, it's simply the best controller money can buy. I couldn't hold off any longer and bought another one straight from the Microsoft Store yesterday. Really hoping it arrives without any issues.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wow, hating on a controller because you sucked when you played with it. That's a new take.

Oct 27, 2017
Got a series 2 in March and I've had some bad left stick delay and drift that makes it unusable. Of course it's out of warranty and they want $100 to fix it. I'm not at a point where I can spend that so I'm stuck with a $200 paperweight.

Loved the controller when it worked but peripheral that expensive should have a longer warranty or just not have these kind of issues.

Felix Andrews

Nov 3, 2017
Do these things fare any better when used with an Xbox One? I've been using mine with Steam games; over Bluetooth it can be pretty flaky (seems to vary depending on the game, weirdly), but even connected via USB it's kind of terrible. The thumbsticks seems to have massive deadzones, which makes fine-tuning aim or camera control a total nightmare.
Went back to a DualShock 4 and it's night-and-day. Is there a configuration mistake that I'm making? I've tried a whole bunch of stuff (including turning off Steam's input system), and nothing seems to make any difference.

I'm on my second Elite controller now, and basically I'm asking if this thing is salvageable, or should I just cut my losses and get a refund?

EDIT: Playing around some more, it turns out that Steam applied these massive deadzones to my Elite 2 controller, and upon recalibrating them (which it tells you not to do unless you're having issues), it seems to have fixed that problem. I still have a weird lingering issue with trying to play Halo 3 ODST for some reason, but I guess I'll hop on a thread for that game and see if I can puzzle it out over there!

Last edited: