• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any solid word from MS if the Xbox Elite 1 controller is backwards compatible with Xbox Series X?

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Ugh is this thing the reason why people can slide and aim so easily in Modern Warfare?

Also noticed misfires on burst fire weapons because the trigger is so long. Might just buy one :(

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
All Xbox One accessories will work with Series X, if that's what you're asking. That includes the first gen Elite controller.

Excellent news.

A check in on my Xbox 1 Elite Gen1 controller, I've used the shit out of it, hell I used it to play God Of War(the newer one) and it's still in perfect shape, that game was pretty rough on the mashing all the buttons too. I used it for RDR 2 also, I'm using it almost exclusively on the PS4, with the awesome Brook X One attachement(best thing ever).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
All Xbox One accessories will work with Series X, if that's what you're asking. That includes the first gen Elite controller.
Yeah, I think it's pretty great... especially for people who customized one via DesignLabs.
Ugh is this thing the reason why people can slide and aim so easily in Modern Warfare?

Also noticed misfires on burst fire weapons because the trigger is so long. Might just buy one :(
I mean... it'll help someone do that.
Could be they're using a SCUF or on PC though (isn't there crossplay?)

A check in on my Xbox 1 Elite Gen1 controller, I've used the shit out of it, hell I used it to play God Of War(the newer one) and it's still in perfect shape, that game was pretty rough on the mashing all the buttons too. I used it for RDR 2 also, I'm using it almost exclusively on the PS4, with the awesome Brook X One attachement(best thing ever).
Yeah, I just got a white one of those attachments thingies and it's pretty great. I haven't played much of my PS4 lately though, I need to get around to playing God of War and finally finishing up Horizon: Zero Dawn (I'll probably just start over at this point though since it's been so long).

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I just got a white one of those attachments thingies and it's pretty great. I haven't played much of my PS4 lately though, I need to get around to playing God of War and finally finishing up Horizon: Zero Dawn (I'll probably just start over at this point though since it's been so long).

It's amazing for God Of War because you can cheese the kid's move on one of your paddles, making the game almost "broken" easy. I should get back to Horizon Zero Dawn myself.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
i can confirm that the dome stick is a short one (that's the one I use as on the right stick). There's also a grip texture on the dome, don't know if it was already like that with V1.

Thanks, that's what I thought from the videos I've been looking at. Damn shame there isn't a long domed stick for the v2, but I've ordered the controller anyway. Hopefully I can find a third party one somewhere down the line.

Oh and the grip ridges are new, the v1 just had a smooth dome.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so two or 3 weeks later and I'll be returning my Elite again.

The unpleasant feeling on trigger pulls on the short stops has not only gotten a lot worse on the right trigger, but has now also appeared on the left to the same extent.

To be clear, I don't forcefully hold or squeeze my controller/triggers, nor have I ever had a problem like this with any other controller that came with trigger stops.

Not only that but drift has caused me to up my deadzones and now my lower right paddle has also stopped working reliably. I first thought it was me, but since I bind it to 'A' I tested it in menu's and see it just not registering 1/6 times.

I think I have finally reached the point where I just give up. After buying and testing 13 of these controllers over a period of 5 months, produced from week 34 of 2019 to week 3 of 2020, I lost faith that they will publicly fully recognize these issues, let alone fix them and help those that bought the clearly broken ones in a way they should.

If you do buy one, make sure you do at a store where you can return it after a month.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so two or 3 weeks later and I'll be returning my Elite again.

The unpleasant feeling on trigger pulls on the short stops has not only gotten a lot worse on the right trigger, but has now also appeared on the left to the same extent.

To be clear, I don't forcefully hold or squeeze my controller/triggers, nor have I ever had a problem like this with any other controller that came with trigger stops.

Not only that but drift has caused me to up my deadzones and now my lower right paddle has also stopped working reliably. I first thought it was me, but since I bind it to 'A' I tested it in menu's and see it just not registering 1/6 times.

I think I have finally reached the point where I just give up. After buying and testing 13 of these controllers over a period of 5 months, produced from week 34 of 2019 to week 3 of 2020, I lost faith that they will publicly fully recognize these issues, let alone fix them and help those that bought the clearly broken ones in a way they should.

If you do buy one, make sure you do at a store where you can return it after a month.
I don't know what MS is doing differently manufacturing v2 controllers vs regular/v1 controllers that is causing so many issues. I personally thought I could deal with them at first, but after 4 months I was like nah after it frequently began disconnecting during gameplay and returned it

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Ordered one last week from Best Buy because it said it should be available for pick up today. Psyche. They aren't getting any today and don't know when they will. Love their website

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've had 7 of these, they all had their own issues. Dont buy this unless you like gambling.
Hoping to get my money back now.
Yea I sent my launch one back. Never even took it out of the packaging until the day before just to have a look at it. Fortunately the holiday return window extending to Jan 31 meant I had plenty of time to observe conversation and feedback around the device.

Too many reports of issues for the gamble. Will wait for version/build updates or Series 3. My Series 1 was and is doing just fine, as I don't use it very much anyway.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Love my controller, but I've been experiencing more and more bluetooth issues.
Since I've bought it, the controller sometimes disconnects and reconnects immediately. When it does, also my peripherals disconnect and reconnect.
This happens randomly. Sometimes it happens once a day, and sometimes it never happens for a week.
More recently, it has become less responsive, inputs are registered with some delay, the sticks sometimes drift.

This happens only once connected via bluetooth. I wonder whether it's a software related problem caused by some Windows update.
Anyways, I'm probably going to try get a replacement. I can use it with the cable, but for the money it costs, this thing should work flawlessly.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Bluetooth on my series 2 was never reliable even with my PC right next to me. I got the Xbox Windows 10 adapter and never looked back.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yeah Bluetooth on my series 2 was never reliable even with my PC right next to me. I got the Xbox Windows 10 adapter and never looked back.
Been thinking about getting a new one since Bluetooth is so bad, I had the original but accidently hit it and snapped the usb. I think it will just looking at their general philosophy but do we know if the adapter will support the new latency updates like Series X?

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017

I'm connected to my motherboard bluetooth, and I'm less than 1 metre away from my PC. Should I give the adapter a try?
It's kind of annoying that I have to buy an adapter just to make the controller work properly.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I'm connected to my motherboard bluetooth, and I'm less than 1 metre away from my PC. Should I give the adapter a try?
It's kind of annoying that I have to buy an adapter just to make the controller work properly.

Bluetooth for controllers on PC sucks period. Not exclusive to the series 2 elite controller. It still works though. You dont NEED to not use Bluetooth. It can just cause some annoyances from time to time.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Bluetooth for controllers on PC sucks period. Not exclusive to the series 2 elite controller. It still works though. You dont NEED to not use Bluetooth. It can just cause some annoyances from time to time.

I agree, I can just use the cable. Problem is that this controller costs 4 times as much as a normal Xbox controller, so I'm less willing to accept certain problems.
So far the disconnections have not bothered me much and I've put up with it, since it does not happen very often.
But the more recent drifting and lack of responsiveness is not something I'm OK with for such an expensive controller.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this one is (so far...) a lot better than the Series 1, which I wasn't expecting.

I got it as a warranty replacement for my stick drifting series one controller. The sticks and paddles feel so much better

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought mine today 😬 from the online Microsoft Store just to be safe, as I heard that they are a bit better fixing and replacing Elite controllers with issues...

This is easily the most "money VS known build quality risks VS need" thing that I have ever bought...wish me luck...
An update, just got mine today (Lot Number 2002) and did a good test in Tekken, and everything seems to be working normally! Will update as I use the controller more.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Seriously considering getting one of these, but it's a tough pill to swallow at over 300 bucks Canadian including taxes and a two year warranty. Especially with the talk of poor build quality. It's a shame MS doesn't offer at least a one year warranty for these since they're a premium product. That would save me fifty bucks right off the top.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I was seriously tempted to pick one up as Xtralife is currently selling them for €159, but I still have a functioning Elite OG, plus the Series X isn't far off, so I think it's possible we'll hear about a revision with the new share button.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was seriously tempted to pick one up as Xtralife is currently selling them for €159, but I still have a functioning Elite OG, plus the Series X isn't far off, so I think it's possible we'll hear about a revision with the new share button.
I kind of agree actually. In hindsight the timing of the Series 2 was kind of weird. You'd almost think they should've waited a few months, and released the Series 2 with a Share button as "an early release Xbox Series X controller that's still fully compatible with your Xbox One".

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Has anybody used the eXtremeRate replacement faceplates? I hate the current/default one as the grip on the sides is slippery for me.

OrigiNull

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to say that my 'B' button has stopped working. Contacted support and they told me I was out of warranty... Gonna tear it apart later this week and see if there's anything I can do :(

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to use one on the PS4 wirelessly? The Brook adapter looks great but requires a wired connection.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Really if people report that their controller is showing no issues, they should test this too;

Because unless covered by many more users, there is no reason to assume that later lot numbers have better quality. I don't believe they improved these one bit and that they are all at fault for the link above, and other issues will show up after more use too.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Really if people report that their controller is showing no issues, they should test this too;

Because unless covered by many more users, there is no reason to assume that later lot numbers have better quality. I don't believe they improved these one bit and that they are all at fault for the link above, and other issues will show up after more use too.

I think at this point people are aware of those issues (the A button issues and the bumper issues are widespread) and no one is assuming anything. However, it does seem that the newer controllers have less of a failure rate so far.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the low battery indicator for the first time ever today, I guess I should use this controller more often lol.

All this talk of problems is a concern. PS my series one white controller had the grips start peeling off almost immediately, not the best.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ughh, my L3 button has stopped clicking properly, assuming from too much sprint in Modern Warfare. It no long has the tactile feel and pop. It still works but it feels terrible.

How has M$ been about replacing these out of warranty? 90 days is ridiculously short for a $250 CAD controller.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018

Seems MS still hasn't gotten it together with the S2 at all after all this time. I'm so glad I just refunded after two returns. I've still been holding out hope all this time since can buy from Microsoft with the $20 3-year warranty, but it still seems like a fiasco that isn't worth the trouble.

This doesn't matter at all to the average consumer, but ya'll want to know what really grinds my gears about this controller? It is pure 100% asshole design in terms of disassembling the controller. They really just want you to throw the thing away and buy a new one. As awful as the S1 is, it still has stellar ergonomics and even my ignorant ass can open it up and fix it whenever I need to. I expect to be able to do that on a $150-$180 controller after the warranty is done.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So these are in stock with 3 day shipping... I'm tempted for the first time as I primarily play on PC and having to use DS4 with my playstation controller has been absolutely horrific and I don't really want wires anymore with my controller
Was debating between this and waiting for the series x controller...... QC is a little worrying reading the thread for a $200 pad that I would need to last me 3 or so years at least.

The reason it's either this or series X and not a regular xbox one controller is USB-C, refuse to use anything else at this point.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Issues with my Elite Series 2
1) Drift
2) bumpers double press
And the new one today
3) the little rubber piece that controls the trigger tension just fell off on one side.

I am so disappointed in this controller and Microsofts response

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
amazing that this high end product has bigger build issues than the standard pad. more amazing that the first elite was the same way. wtf, fix this shit

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
It has more features than a standard pad, so obviously more areas for it to go wrong. Mine has been bulletproof so far. Love it.

while thats true, all the flaws are with standard things that are shared in common with the default pad - bumpers, buttons, drift. i loved my first elite, but it only lasted 8-12 months, where as i don't believe i've ever had a standard pad break or fail the basics and those only get drift after 2+ years

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So I've decided to return mine under warranty to MS. A and Y mainly are not registering presses reliably unless forceful while B and X seem fine with my usual force. Using the same force on Y and A has it work like, 60% of the time? And the shoulder bumpers are double clicking almost every press which is a pain in the ass playing FFXIV and trying to target enemies in combat.

When returning does it need everything (case, bits, cable etc) or just the controller? I know some warranty returns only want the actual thing and none of the accessories and if you send anything extra you'll only get the thing back but I can't see reference on the MS page on how they handle it.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
So I've decided to return mine under warranty to MS. A and Y mainly are not registering presses reliably unless forceful while B and X seem fine with my usual force. Using the same force on Y and A has it work like, 60% of the time? And the shoulder bumpers are double clicking almost every press which is a pain in the ass playing FFXIV and trying to target enemies in combat.

When returning does it need everything (case, bits, cable etc) or just the controller? I know some warranty returns only want the actual thing and none of the accessories and if you send anything extra you'll only get the thing back but I can't see reference on the MS page on how they handle it.

Just the controller with nothing attached is all they want. My replacement came with a full set of the default attachments so now I have too many!

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure they only want the controller. I remember reading stories on reddit with the series 1 version where they sent everything and only got back the controller.

You should get clear instructions on what they want after sending in the replacement request.