• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I haven't actually tested BT on my desktop yet, maybe I'll have better luck there... apparently some folks that have had issues with BT on Windows are able to use it fine on their phones.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did the A button issue happen right out of the box for you guys?

Played through several games with mine over the past month, no complaints yet

Also FYI if anyone doesn't know, there's a windows 10 issue with BT that afaik has not been fixed. It causes frame rate dips and hitching. The official Xbox wireless adapter eliminated the issue for me.

Noticed mine right away when playing Spelunky. The button was not mushy like some people said, just missed input sometimes, enough to be frustrating and lose the game for me.

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
I just returned mine last night. Not sure if it happened organically or if I dropped it, but the left stick started giving resistance when I'd push up on it.

I got it from the Microsoft store and had a warranty, so I was hoping just to exchange it, but the guy told me that Microsoft Stores all across the country are sold out. Had to take a refund instead, which kind of sucks, as the Microsoft Store has a great warranty and I specifically bought it there for that reason.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the Reddit thread things haven't gotten better in the latest lot numbers, with people still reveiving faulty ones from Microsoft even after exchanging broken ones.

I'll be traveling till the beginning of Februari, but I was hoping to be able to buy one when I get back with the assurance they've fixed the issues. Has any outlet asked Microsoft about it ever since that first article by Windows Central?

If not I guess I'll just wait for the inevitable revision that includes the share button at this point and keep my V1

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
What are some of the known things to look out for? I have two of them and so far my second one may have a slightly different feel with the rb than the lb or I'm looking for something that isn't there.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
What are some of the known things to look out for? I have two of them and so far my second one may have a slightly different feel with the rb than the lb or I'm looking for something that isn't there.
I made a post with issues I personally had. First thing you should do is test for sticky buttons, for harsh clicking sounds on the triggers when using the shortest stop.

Most importantly for me was testing the deadzones though. This is hard to test reliably in games as games have build in deadzones that are often large due to having to account for old controllers. More and more games are starting to include deadzone sliders, but the most reliable way seems to plug the controllers into your PC/Mac and go to https://html5gamepad.com/ and press a button.

Your controller's inputs should appear on the website and from there you can test the deadzone on your sticks by flicking, moving and moving slowly and the releasing them. In any case the sticks should return as close to center as possible, imo all values should be below 0.05 but my V1 is closer to 0.03 after two year of use.

The bigger the values are to which they return to when not touching them, the bigger the inner deadzone that you have to use in games will be. In practice that means you will miss the first or small movements you make with your sticks. Or if the game has small deadzones set it will cause drift, which can be seen by your reticle/character moving by itself.

For example I had a Series 2 that if I remember correctly returned to -.21( to the left) after flicking it to the right.

Other issues are clicky/sticky DPad's, bluetooth connection loss and wobbly sticks.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I've played (gasp) 51 hours of Call of Duty MW and my series 2 has been flawless. I'm very happy with it. I just realized I haven't had to charge the controller a second time yet. 😳

Oh and it literally just turned on the low battery light.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Got mine today after the right bumper of my Elite V1 broke. The A button misses a lot presses, sometimes even a few in a row. The right stick is wobbly and I can move it around quite a bit before it registers movement. The lower left paddle doesn't click like the other three and bluetooth keeps diconnecting. Really disappointing :/

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
This thing has been out of stock at the Microsoft Store for two weeks now! I have enough credit to buy it, but they won't let me.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty ambivalent about this controller right now. It feels so good in the hands, and all the buttons feel great. Using it with reWASD makes playing games on PC with this thing a joy.
Then there's all the QA issues. You pay $230 for a controller you expect it to work flawlessly. I've had to return a couple of times, and every single one of them has had poor bluetooth connectivity. Either the bluetooth in these controllers is just bad, or it's something they can improve with updates.

I don't think I'll be returning it though, the pros of this thing outweigh the cons for me.

Oct 28, 2017
Replacement 3. All 3 have had unresponsive buttons. They're not sticky, they just don't register inputs unless i press firmly. This is so frustrating!

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I have had this a while, and I've just recently discovered that my A button misses button presses too. Took a while to notice, as I mainly use the paddles, but it's really disappointing in such an expensive product

poweld

Nov 1, 2017
I've had issues with A button responsiveness since day 1 and it hasn't gotten any better. Going to try a replacement and hope for the best.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Got it back for the fifth time now. I included a message last time how I wasn't pleased with the repairs, questioning if they even test them before shipping them back. I think they used a faster shipping method now cause it was packaged different in an envelope that said UPS Express on it.

This time I cant find issues with it within 3 minutes of testing. The A button doesnt get stuck, I ran it through a input testing website and it doesnt randomly lose its input there either. So far the first impressions are good and I hope it holds up.

Oct 28, 2017
I previously posted that my controller was all fine, but it has shit the bed now. I was playing The Outer Wilds and the main body vibration on the right hand side became incredibly loud and rattly, like something came loose.

Guess it's my turn to join the replacement crew.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
The elite controller is FINALLY in stock on the Microsoft Store. I snagged it and the warranty and with my credit, I only had to pay like $15.

However, it won't be delivered until Feb. 11! A month away! I wonder why they are so depleted in stock when Best Buy and Gamestop have plenty?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The elite controller is FINALLY in stock on the Microsoft Store. I snagged it and the warranty and with my credit, I only had to pay like $15.

However, it won't be delivered until Feb. 11! A month away! I wonder why they are so depleted in stock when Best Buy and Gamestop have plenty?

Better hope your return period/warranty start when it's delivered.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Still having issues with my controller now. Has anyone experienced a much less responsive A compared to the other 3 face buttons? I would miss inputs on a lighter hit on that button. This never happens on the other 3, as hard as I try.

If I hold my thumb on the A, and then slightly move it around, the input is lost entirely as if it isnt pressed at all, even though I still have it fully pressed. I used gamepadviewer.com to try this. Could someone test this? I hope the post makes sense.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still having issues with my controller now. Has anyone experienced a much less responsive A compared to the other 3 face buttons? I would miss inputs on a lighter hit on that button. This never happens on the other 3, as hard as I try.
This happens on all three controllers I've tried. It happens on A, X, and B on my latest!

This revision is a shitshow. At least Series 1 worked perfectly out of the box. ..until its shoulder buttons inevitably break.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
This happens on all three controllers I've tried. It happens on A, X, and B on my latest!
Okay thanks for your reply. Did you return it to the store? I've been sending them to Microsoft for repairs, I keep getting the same one back. They improve it a bit every time but it seems it keeps coming back with issues. I dont think I am going to accept it in this state.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks for your reply. Did you return it to the store? I've been sending them to Microsoft for repairs, I keep getting the same one back. They improve it a bit every time but it seems it keeps coming back with issues. I dont think I am going to accept it in this state.
Considering how widespread the issue seems to be, I didn't want to start the repair game. Feels like a design flaw.

I'm just going to return for another refund. I won't be trying again until I hear that the buttons work properly.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how widespread the issue seems to be, I didn't want to start the repair game. Feels like a design flaw.

I'm just going to return for another refund. I won't be trying again until I hear that the buttons work properly.
That really was the only right call to make. I cant refund this one anymore, my only option are these shitty ass repairs.
Actually love the controller. Feels great, just never works properly. Used the V1 one for years without any issue ever.

Dragonfly224

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got it back for the fifth time now. I included a message last time how I wasn't pleased with the repairs, questioning if they even test them before shipping them back. I think they used a faster shipping method now cause it was packaged different in an envelope that said UPS Express on it.

This time I cant find issues with it within 3 minutes of testing. The A button doesnt get stuck, I ran it through a input testing website and it doesnt randomly lose its input there either. So far the first impressions are good and I hope it holds up.
May I ask what website you used for the controller?
I know the Elite 2 has Bluetooth issues but my PC also giving me BT driver problems so I updated them. I want to go through everything before I decide to send the Elite back for repairs.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
May I ask what website you used for the controller?
I know the Elite 2 has Bluetooth issues but my PC also giving me BT driver problems so I updated them. I want to go through everything before I decide to send the Elite back for repairs.
I just used gamepadviewer.com, it worked well enough for the buttons atleast. Good luck I hope yours works properly!

Edit:

Had a chat with Microsoft today they told me they don't do repairs on these controllers and that they are actually exchanged for entirely new units. This means that I have now had 6 of these in hand, all of which had issues. I don't know if that makes me feel any better about it.

The MS rep on the chat tells me he will add a note asking for the next one to be fully tested before it is shipped out. I don't really have any expectations left at this point but we'll see where that goes I guess..

He claims my case is flagged for special attention to make sure the controller will be working perfectly.. I can't wait.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So i checked best buy on a whim yesterday and low and behold, they had the series 2 in stock again. So i picked it up and so far i like it but i have two issues. The build quality is great, but i feel as if the controller keeps sliding on my hands, as for the paddles, im trying to get used to them for forza motorsport (shifting up and down) but im so used to hitting the buttons that i feel like im messing up more often than not. Otherwise its a great controller. Im glad it will work on my series x

Dragonfly224

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just used gamepadviewer.com, it worked well enough for the buttons atleast. Good luck I hope yours works properly!

Edit:

Had a chat with Microsoft today they told me they don't do repairs on these controllers and that they are actually exchanged for entirely new units. This means that I have now had 6 of these in hand, all of which had issues. I don't know if that makes me feel any better about it.

The MS rep on the chat tells me he will add a note asking for the next one to be fully tested before it is shipped out. I don't really have any expectations left at this point but we'll see where that goes I guess..

He claims my case is flagged for special attention to make sure the controller will be working perfectly.. I can't wait.
Well that's interesting about them sending back new controllers.Thank you for the link.
It seems my controller hates using Bluetooth, even when paired it, the Xbox logo continues to flash and act like its not connected to the PC. However, using the wireless adapter works just fine (so far in the 2 hours I spent using it, no disconnects or sticky buttons)...so that's good.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had any issues with mine, but I just bought it about a week ago. Hopefully I don't run into any of the issues you all are listing.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I bought two of them when they initially came out. One replaced so far due to a weird creaky noise coming out of the right trigger when the trigger stop was engaged.

The replacement unit was initially fine, but it started to exhibit the same problem again, though not as severe as the first one.

Anyone experience this?

The controllers are otherwise the bomb and have been an absolute pleasure to use. There's no going back to the vanilla versions.

Last edited:

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I bought two of them when they initially came out. One replaced so far due to a weird creaky noise coming out of the right trigger when the trigger stop was engaged.

The replacement unit was initially fine, but it started to exhibit the same problem again, though not as severe as the first one.

Anyone experience this?

The controllers are otherwise the bomb and have been an absolute pleasure to use. There's no going back to the vanilla versions.
I had something similar, but it was a higher sound with a harsh feeling when fully pressing the trigger, like the rubber/soft material was missing.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
My xbox elite wireless controller series 2 started having stick drift on the left stick this week :(

I bought it at release, no stick drift issues at all to begin with, but now game characters are awkwardly turning back towards the camera, very obviously in Witcher 3 and Dark Souls games. I had major stick drift issues with the series 1 controller as well.

I don't understand how this can be such a major and pervasive problem with these luxury controllers from microsoft. I have used multiple 360, xbox one, ps4, and steam controllers on pc over the years with no stick drift issues what so ever, but both generations of elite controllers turned out to have serious stick drift issues for me.

Is it even worth it to try to get the series 2 controller replaced? For all I know, the new one will start to break down after a couple of months of use as well.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question that I'm sure has already been answered but I couldn't find it: Are there any decent adapters to use the v2 on PS4? I use my v1 on there now, but it is just falling apart haha. Would really just like to switch this v2 back and forth between the two. Any ideas?

Dec 11, 2017
I got a Series 2 at launch, I immediately noticed it had a bad A Button. I believe the Lot # was ~1700. EDIT: I was wrong about this number, it was in the low 1900s.

Returned it for one from Lot #1950, put it through its paces, it works flawlessly.

Last edited:

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain the Lot # thing please?
There is a Lot number on the box of your controller. The higher it is, the newer the controller I think?
Mine from near launch is lot 1941 and it was terrible, so I guess the higher ones have been doing a bit better, but still hear about issues so I am not entirely sure.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
There is a Lot number on the box of your controller. The higher it is, the newer the controller I think?
Mine from near launch is lot 1941 and it was terrible, so I guess the higher ones have been doing a bit better, but still hear about issues so I am not entirely sure.

Oh okay. Just checked mine and the lot is 1936, thankfully is working fine.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I am so glad I dropped into this thread. I bought myself a Series 2 for Christmas. I recently started using it and noticed my Y button is sometimes unresponsive. I really thought I was imagining things.

I'm also having an issue with my paddles. I have them mapped to RB and LB. I play ESO which requires pressing LB and RB simultaneously. Doing so with the paddles can take five or six attempts, as if the paddles are not activated simultaneously. It's very annoying. I never had this problem with my v1 controller.

I'm going to check my lot number. I bought it on Amazon so returning it is not a problem. If I get another one with similar issues, I'll just get a refund and revert to v1. Very disappointing that there are these problems out of the gate :(

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Getting double inputs on my right shoulder button, think I will initiate a return since it's spread from my A button.

Kinda sad, this controller is my default now :(

Edit: got my replacement controller from amazon, but the warranty through MS site says it expires March 20, 2020.

Trying to get help through MS' website is a pain

Is the warranty really only 90 days? The first one I registered showed 1 year, and the latest one I registered shows 90 days.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I bought one a week or so ago, and the trigger vibration is bonkers loud. Like a loud buzz. Significantly louder than other X1 controllers I have. I needed to turn the intensity most of the way down to avoid it. I'm hoping this isn't just how they are? I can't imagine...

Got it from Amazon so I'm going to get it swapped. But based on the experiences of others it's probably my last try.

EDIT: Read more of the thread and noped out. Switched it to a refund. I didn't notice any button issues on this one, but with all the issues people seem to be having I don't think this is something I want to deal with.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Lot 1943 here, things were going well for a couple of weeks and then the A and B buttons started missing presses. I've got a replacement coming tomorrow. The controller is pretty nice overall, but I'm not sure if I want to give it another shot if the new one borks out as well.