• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Dipping a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and running it along the edge of the sticking button stops the sticking. Might have to do a few rounds but it'll do the trick
NEVER use rubbing alcohol when doing anything to controllers as it destroys rubber and some plastics. This includes button membranes.

Use electrical contact cleaner.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
But seriously, I've had no issues with Bluetooth on either of my standard XB1S controllers, and yet Bluetooth is a crapshoot for the Elite v2...

I just don't get it!

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This whole situation is just unacceptable. You shouldn't have to do anything to your $180 "premium" product to get it to work correctly.

Microsoft should be ashamed. You can get an entire Xbox for barely more than this thing costs. For the price these things should be flawless. There will always be lemons in mass manufacturing but there are way, WAY too many people having problems for it to be an isolated issue.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
What is the process for using a warranty at a Microsoft store? Is it unlimited as long as you have it? Do they replace individual parts? Is it a hassle dealing with them to get replacements?

EDIT:

Oh, just scrolled up because I had a feeling I asked this before lol.

pliss halp, ty.
If you got it at the MS store you should be able to go in and swap it out with little fuss. I did this when my Lumia 520 died out on me twice. The people there are generally really nice and understanding.

But seriously, I've had no issues with Bluetooth on either of my standard XB1S controllers, and yet Bluetooth is a crapshoot for the Elite v2...

I just don't get it!
I've had issues with Bluetooth as well on my Dell Alienware laptop where the One S controller will freak out after being used for a while. I kind of stopped using Bluetooth with that specific controller.

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
Bought one a couple weeks ago at the Microsoft store, had the A button issue and returned it for full refund. Man, what a beautiful controller, I'm definitely keeping an eye on it until the kinks have been worked out. It's really such a shame that it's having all these issues.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this controller for Christmas and just tried it today for one match in Cod MW. What issues should I be looking for. So far one thing I noticed is that on the default stick setting the sticks are a little lose, more than my other regular xbox controllers not as tight unless i tighten it. Also does this work with bluetooth on pc? because my pc doesn't find it..

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Got this controller for Christmas and just tried it today for one match in Cod MW. What issues should I be looking for. So far one thing I noticed is that on the default stick setting the sticks are a little lose, more than my other regular xbox controllers not as tight unless i tighten it. Also does this work with bluetooth on pc? because my pc doesn't find it..

I've been hearing a lot of issues with the bluetooth. I use the Xbox one wireless adapter and its been perfectly fine.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Did the most recent controller update fix the bluetooth issues?
I updated, nothing changed in my setup and before it was dropping the signal when I was sat 5 feet from the receiver. Seems to be holding pretty steady now after updating.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I got my Elite series 2 for Christmas. It was delivered on the 23rd. The first few presses of the A button didn't register unless I pressed it harder than normal. But after that, the controller has been perfect. The A button is working fine.

I've been playing Call of Duty with it and it has been fantastic! I love this controller.

I'll be calling up Microsoft later to add the 3 year $20 warranty. You have 45 days to add it if you bought it from Microsoft.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got my Elite series 2 for Christmas. It was delivered on the 23rd. The first few presses of the A button didn't register unless I pressed it harder than normal. But after that, the controller has been perfect. The A button is working fine.

I've been playing Call of Duty with it and it has been fantastic! I love this controller.

I'll be calling up Microsoft later to add the 3 year $20 warranty. You have 45 days to add it if you bought it from Microsoft.

I got one for Christmas as a gift, but I'm almost certain it wasn't from the Microsoft site. Can I still add it if I call? I can't seem to find any information on this online, not sure why Microsoft doesn't mimic the way Apple does warranties and make it super easy to add on when you receive a gift.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I got one for Christmas as a gift, but I'm almost certain it wasn't from the Microsoft site. Can I still add it if I call? I can't seem to find any information on this online, not sure why Microsoft doesn't mimic the way Apple does warranties and make it super easy to add on when you receive a gift.

You can certainly try.

"You can get Microsoft Complete (extended warranty) for the Series 2 Elite controller at the time of purchase either online or from a physical Microsoft Store or you can contact a Microsoft Store sales agentwithin 45 days of purchase."

The wording he has there doesn't rule it out.

Last edited:

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Did the most recent controller update fix the bluetooth issues?
I updated, nothing changed in my setup and before it was dropping the signal when I was sat 5 feet from the receiver. Seems to be holding pretty steady now after updating.

Nevermind, it's still dropping the signal and the controller is about 2ft from the receiver.
Guess I'll be returning it and waiting until they fix the quality.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I called the Microsoft Store just now and added the $20 3 year warranty to my controller. It was purchased from Microsoft. It was pretty easy.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got one for Christmas. Loving it so far but honestly how not had much time to stress test this beast yet.

I like the solidity and gravitas of the thing.

Oct 28, 2017
Did an exchange and on my second elite controller. The A and Y buttons require a good bit of force to register button presses. I may get try the fix abovE.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my fifth now. This has been the worst purchase I've had for a long time. This time the "A" button is actually even worse than before the exchange. And I still hear some rambling when I shake the thing. (Which could be nothing, but I am not going to risk anything with this thing anymore).

What a shit show.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Reading this thread is making me glad they were sold out when I thought about getting one this week.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I keep wanting the controller but the idea of having to keep exchanging till I get a good one sounds very frustrating. I'm sure a lot of people don't have issues but it still feels like a crapshoot.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I keep wanting the controller but the idea of having to keep exchanging till I get a good one sounds very frustrating. I'm sure a lot of people don't have issues but it still feels like a crapshoot.

We have 3 of these controllers in our household. 2 of them never had any problem, but the 3rd one that my son got for Christmas had the sticky A button issue right at first. However, he used rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip around the buttons and then played a little bit of a button masher type game which took care of any problems right away so that it seems fine now. We pretty much can't use other controllers now that we are spoiled by using these :)

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Got one of these for Christmas and noticed when using bluetooth with my pc i have to forget device and re-pair everytime I use it. Even when connecting the usb cable after being paired causes it to have to be re-paired. It just continues to flash and never connects? Any solutions? Win 10 and bluetooth drivers all updated btw.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Got one of these for Christmas and noticed when using bluetooth with my pc i have to forget device and re-pair everytime I use it. Even when connecting the usb cable after being paired causes it to have to be re-paired. It just continues to flash and never connects? Any solutions? Win 10 and bluetooth drivers all updated btw.
The way the Bluetooth work for all of the Xbox controllers requires them to be re-paired if they are plugged in at any point.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The way the Bluetooth work for all of the Xbox controllers requires them to be re-paired if they are plugged in at any point.

Trying to wrap my head around this. Is this a specific requirement of bluetooth? Seems like an incredibly poor implementation. I need to check my controller again, but I also thing just turning it off requires a re-pairing as well.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Trying to wrap my head around this. Is this a specific requirement of bluetooth? Seems like an incredibly poor implementation. I need to check my controller again, but I also thing just turning it off requires a re-pairing as well.
Now that is really strange, you could reach out to MS about that. I am able to sync my to my MacBook running windows 10 by powering it back on.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, got an Elite 2, having the A button not responding sometimes thing. Has the alcohol trick fixed this for people?

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

It's just the elite series being dumb. I don't have to repair any of my other controllers or bluetooth devices after having plugged them in to my PC's USB.
There is definitely something off for your controller though, since I never have to repair when just turing it off.
Did you make sure the controller firmware is up to date as well?
If so, you should probably exchange the controller for a new one.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On Windows 7 trying to get this working with Overwatch. Doesn't seem to be reading and no drivers were found through Windows.

Is there place to download drivers manually?

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's just the elite series being dumb. I don't have to repair any of my other controllers or bluetooth devices after having plugged them in to my PC's USB.
There is definitely something off for your controller though, since I never have to repair when just turing it off.
Did you make sure the controller firmware is up to date as well?
If so, you should probably exchange the controller for a new one.

Updating the controller was the first thing I did. I will have to double check that it is indeed not syncing after power off. Im at work and need to double check. I could be misremembering

Just tested as I am home now and it appears to turn off and back on without needing to be re-paired. It just takes a bit longer than I expected to do so.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, got an Elite 2, having the A button not responding sometimes thing. Has the alcohol trick fixed this for people?

My son's controller had a sticky A button (2 others in our household were fine), and he used rubbing alcohol around the buttons and then spent some time with a button masher type game which has resolved it for him at least.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Did the A button issue happen right out of the box for you guys?

Played through several games with mine over the past month, no complaints yet

Also FYI if anyone doesn't know, there's a windows 10 issue with BT that afaik has not been fixed. It causes frame rate dips and hitching. The official Xbox wireless adapter eliminated the issue for me.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Just got mine yesterday. I was a bit nervous after some of what I've read here but so far so good. No issues at all.
Can't imagine a controller getting better than this. Feels and looks super premium but then again at that price it better. :-)

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Did the A button issue happen right out of the box for you guys?

Played through several games with mine over the past month, no complaints yet

Also FYI if anyone doesn't know, there's a windows 10 issue with BT that afaik has not been fixed. It causes frame rate dips and hitching. The official Xbox wireless adapter eliminated the issue for me.

Yes, the one out of 3 that had the issue in my house happened right away. However, it went away doing the rubbing alcohol thing and working the button some after as I noted.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Got a bunch of credit for Christmas but the controller has been sold out on the Microsoft store since Christmas day. Any idea when it'll be back in stock?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My A, B, and X buttons often don't respond when I press them lightly. Doesn't happen on any of my other controllers but it's been a thing on THREE Elite Series 2 controllers. MS really fucked this up.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I had the issue with my A button, but using a plastic toothpick fixed it. What I really need a fix for is the damn BT connection issues! I don't get the problem on my other Xbox controllers!

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to getting an Elite 2 before it was even announced (since I wanted to be able to use it wirelessly on my PC without a new adapter), and reading about the quality control issues/BT hiccups has been super disappointing. Thankfully, it pushed me to get a Sn30 Pro+, which has been an amazing controller.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if the BT connection issues are thanks to all of the metal on the controller, actually. If that's the case, I don't think a simple driver update will fix anything...