• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Came in to see how the V2 was doing here after debating buying one over the weekend...and then I see all the issues people are having...

giphy.gif

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The disconnects are an issue with the 1. I have the 1. I've been through two units now and they still disconnect. If I could go back in time and not even purchase one of these controllers I would. No matter how hefty and advantageous the paddles feel.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The disconnects are an issue with the 1. I have the 1. I've been through two units now and they still disconnect. If I could go back in time and not even purchase one of these controllers I would. No matter how hefty and advantageous the paddles feel.

You might as well just buy the dongle if you've already got the controller and like it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You might as well just buy the dongle if you've already got the controller and like it.

It comes with a USB cord but paying for a wireless controller and using it wirelessly was one of the main reasons why I shelled out that much money in the first place. I have a GameStop warranty so who knows...maybe I'll take this one back for another v1 and see if I have better luck. It's been the white controller, to be specific.

Edit: oh the wireless adapter? Yeah I guess. But at the same time my thought on spending 100+ dollars still stands. You'd expect it to work out the box lol.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer hearing about some of the button and disconnect issues some folks are having.

My main wonder was how the rubber grips were holding up for users. My experience with that particular fault with my V1 has kept me from immediately getting the V2. Once those started peeling, I had to use one of those silicon wraps to keep them from falling completely off. I'd rather not do that again.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It comes with a USB cord but paying for a wireless controller and using it wirelessly was one of the main reasons why I shelled out that much money in the first place. I have a GameStop warranty so who knows...maybe I'll take this one back for another v1 and see if I have better luck. It's been the white controller, to be specific.

Edit: oh the wireless adapter? Yeah I guess. But at the same time my thought on spending 100+ dollars still stands. You'd expect it to work out the box lol.

Yeah for 180 this thing should be flawless and include the dongle in the box as well. I already had one from my V1 controller so it was okay for me but paying another $20 on top is horseshit. This thing still won't pair to my iPad Pro either.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer hearing about some of the button and disconnect issues some folks are having.

My main wonder was how the rubber grips were holding up for users. My experience with that particular fault with my V1 has kept me from immediately getting the V2. Once those started peeling, I had to use one of those silicon wraps to keep them from falling completely off. I'd rather not do that again.
I had to return my elite 2 due to some faulty buttons, but one thing I think I can say in confidence is that the grips should hold up fine. They seemed to be built directly into the mold so I don't think they're going to peel off.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Well this thread has me really torn. My best buy just got these back in stock, and i'm debating getting this and selling my V1. But now I'm concerned about the quality issues.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Any drift issues with the right stick?
My only concern right now with my v1. While I adjust dead zones, it's getting worse.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Well this thread has me really torn. My best buy just got these back in stock, and i'm debating getting this and selling my V1. But now I'm concerned about the quality issues.

Despite hit or miss quality control issues on some batches, I'd say they're still worth it. I loved my V1s but after having used the V2 for over a month now, there's no turning back. V2 is that much more refined and feels great in hands. And You can rest assured that Microsoft will replace it without any hassle if you have issues.

I had to return my elite 2 due to some faulty buttons, but one thing I think I can say in confidence is that the grips should hold up fine. They seemed to be built directly into the mold so I don't think they're going to peel off.

Completely agree. Whatever glue material they used is a lot more permanent. I have two of these controllers and use both of them extensively, and there is absolutely no sign of the rubber grip peeling off.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I got mine on release and zero issues, counting myself lucky but from the 10 or so people I know in real life that have them (old halo clan all super excited for infinite) they've all been fine except one who had a sticky a button for the first few days but it's fine now.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For people having issues and have a warranty to replace it --

What's the process? Do they give you difficulty? Do they replace the whole controller? Do they fix it? And what about broken pieces like paddles or worn out joysticks -- are the pieces covered with the warranty? etc.​
I recently got one with a warranty, so I'm curious on people's experiences with replacements.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Rewasd can now map the profile change button. Could be pretty handy in some situations.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Just wanted to post and say I've had mine since day 1 and have had zero issues, but I also had V1 since day 1 with no issues.

The only thing I don't like about the controller is having to reaynch when I went to switch from using it on my X to using it on PC. But I don't know what they could have done about that.

I bought my first V2 and I started noticing some button sticking on A. I kept it for 29 days to see if I could work it out but no luck. I want to EB games and tried to exchange for a new one but they refused to take it, saying I'm supposed to deal with MS directly.

I went to a Microsoft Store and exchanged the controller. I still have an A sticking issue and now sometimes my B loses connection (in rocket league I sometimes stop boosting).

I don't want to exchange for a third one, I bought a 3yr warranty so I'll again try and work the problems out. I love the controller otherwise, I can't go back to a regular controller even with the above issues.

Erdtree

Oct 25, 2017
I have had 2 from eb games Australia both with the A button issue,took both back and got a full refund.im gonna leave it now

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I bought my first V2 and I started noticing some button sticking on A. I kept it for 29 days to see if I could work it out but no luck. I want to EB games and tried to exchange for a new one but they refused to take it, saying I'm supposed to deal with MS directly.

I went to a Microsoft Store and exchanged the controller. I still have an A sticking issue and now sometimes my B loses connection (in rocket league I sometimes stop boosting).

I don't want to exchange for a third one, I bought a 3yr warranty so I'll again try and work the problems out. I love the controller otherwise, I can't go back to a regular controller even with the above issues.
Dipping a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and running it along the edge of the sticking button stops the sticking. Might have to do a few rounds but it'll do the trick

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Wonder how widespread issues are vs vocal minority. FWIW i've put about 50 hours in on mine so far with no issues.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Remember that people are much more likely to post in this thread if they're having issues.

I'm 100 percent sure that people having problems are a vocal minority.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
I've had mine for almost a month now. I play Apex and a lot of Rocket League (so lots of pressing A) and I haven't had a single issue. I love this controller.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
How much of a difference is it from series 1? I can get a used version one for quite cheap. Like less than half of the cost of a series 2. What do you guys think?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Remember that people are much more likely to post in this thread if they're having issues.

I'm 100 percent sure that people having problems are a vocal minority.
I've had mine for almost a month now. I play Apex and a lot of Rocket League (so lots of pressing A) and I haven't had a single issue. I love this controller.

This. I've been using mine since it came out pretty regularly(Modern Warfare, Gears 5 and Halo MCC mainly) and haven't had any of these issues.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
How much of a difference is it from series 1? I can get a used version one for quite cheap. Like less than half of the cost of a series 2. What do you guys think?
The big differences between the 2 are that the v2 has analog tension control and the paddles are smaller, so it's easier to use all 4 at the same. The V2 feels better built and much nicer to hold in the hands.

If you go with the V1, check to see if the grips are bubbling up. The grips are notorious for peeling off the controller over time

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The big differences between the 2 are that the v2 has analog tension control and the paddles are smaller, so it's easier to use all 4 at the same. The V2 feels better built and much nicer to hold in the hands.

If you go with the V1, check to see if the grips are bubbling up. The grips are notorious for peeling off the controller over time
Would that be an easy fix with glue ?

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered my brother one bc MS rewards is doing 18k bonus rewards if you order an elite today. Says it will be here Monday but people over on reddit are saying the thing has been on back order for weeks and no retailer even has it for sale yet. Order still says pending

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda want to pick one up since its forward compatible with Series X but what will they do about a share button? Will it be mappable to one of the paddles via a software update?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Yikes I just cancelled my Amazon order after reading this thread.

Will try to look for it in a microsoft store to make sure I can return it easily if its broken.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Kinda want to pick one up since its forward compatible with Series X but what will they do about a share button? Will it be mappable to one of the paddles via a software update?
I'm sure (or, well, I certainly hope) it'll be mappable. I would have preferred to have a face button dedicated to it but I think I'll be fine with paddle-shift-plus-button as an alternative.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My OG elite is going strong while other people have gone through 2 or 3 replacements. Meanwhile my X1X is deader than can be after (way) less than 100 hours of use and MS wants $250 to fix it (far past warranty). It's always luck of the draw with consumer goods
I'm sure (or, well, I certainly hope) it'll be mappable. I would have preferred to have a face button dedicated to it but I think I'll be fine with paddle-shift-plus-button as an alternative.

I wouldn't bet on it, because share was mappable on the keypad years ago and never came to the elite

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
Version one has better paddle buttons. It's more responsive. The analogue tension in version two makes a difference. Even if you put the paddle buttons in version 1 into version 2, you will not get the same performance. Sad.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Version one has better paddle buttons. It's more responsive. The analogue tension in version two makes a difference. Even if you put the paddle buttons in version 1 into version 2, you will not get the same performance. Sad.
series 2 clicky paddle buttons are awesome. I gotta disagree with you here. It actually feels like a firm response when your clicking it.

Bleep

Nov 12, 2017
I bought a series 2 around a week ago and I'm having the issue where the A button doesn't register sometimes. It seems like it happens at a specific angle, but sometimes it just drops inputs when i press it in different ways. From this thread I'm guessing wearing in the controller won't help and I'll have to return it? All the stores in my area are out of stock checking on their websites... :(

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible that V2's issues stem from manufacturing? Everyone here in Europe that I know has an V2, is extremely happy with it. While my NA gaming cousins seem to have a myriad of issues.

It wouldn't be the first time there are manufacturing discrepencies between regions. It's actually quite common.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible that V2's issues stem from manufacturing? Everyone here in Europe that I know has an V2, is extremely happy with it. While my NA gaming cousins seem to have a myriad of issues.

It wouldn't be the first time there are manufacturing discrepencies between regions. It's actually quite common.
Mines been fine, from the UK btw

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I got the Elite 2 a few days ago and I have nothing but love for the controller.

My face buttons were kinda sticky at first but they've since just become soft-press after some use, and operate normally now.

I had and loved the Elite 1, too. This controller is an insane amount of improvement in so many subtle (and some not-so-subtle) ways. I'm genuinely mindblown about the amount of engineering in this thing.

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I have issues in Europe. And it's sad that I'll need to stay without the controller to fix it. Microsoft doesn't send a new one

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Is "drifting" when I move my analog to the left and it doesnt register as left but more like.. 10 o' clock ish? If that makes any sense.
My new one has that, and a A button that gets stuck sometimes. I wish I had gotten my money back instead of accepting replacements. #4 incoming.
Maybe I am too picky..

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried three of these controllers now and each of them have an issue where the A button occasionally doesn't register. If I press the button hard, it works every time but I play a lot of text heavy games and I wind up pressing the button pretty lightly. I feel the button depress but the game doesn't register an input. I can replicate the issue pretty easily too.

Doesn't happen at all on my V1 Elite or my regular X1 pad.

I think I'm just going to get a full refund and hope the issue is fixed in the future.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is the process for using a warranty at a Microsoft store? Is it unlimited as long as you have it? Do they replace individual parts? Is it a hassle dealing with them to get replacements?

EDIT:

For people having issues and have a warranty to replace it --

What's the process? Do they give you difficulty? Do they replace the whole controller? Do they fix it? And what about broken pieces like paddles or worn out joysticks -- are the pieces covered with the warranty? etc.

I recently got one with a warranty, so I'm curious on people's experiences with replacements.
Oh, just scrolled up because I had a feeling I asked this before lol.

pliss halp, ty.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got my controller from the Taco Bell promotion a few weeks ago, lot #1934 on the box. Been playing CoD MW on PC with it via Bluetooth and I'm getting disconnects every few minutes with it and massive game stuttering happening during the disconnect. I'm not sure what my options are other than waiting for a firmware update or give MS their blood money for their proprietary wireless adapter :-/
Yeah I tried BT with mine at first on my PC and it was also flaky. I got the Xbox Wireless Controller adapter and it's been solid ever since, and now I can use the headphone jack. The adapter is definitely the way to go.