• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
How's the rumble on the new one so far? The original sounded like a speaker and felt weird.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Mine doesn't seem to show up in the Bluetooth menu when I try to pair it with my iPad running iOS 13. Anyone else have this issue?

You're not alone. I've had one of these for a little while now and tried to make it my Steam Link controller on Apple TV and no dice. It's not recognized on any of my Apple devices, and on the Steam Link box itself (which I also have), it gets recognized but the key mapping is all wrong.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Buying it begrudgingly on Monday.

But honestly Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Xbox controller variants (I'm an expert), but longevity and external batteries are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Sony where you can become successful by just putting out any piece of shit controller regardless of ergonomics or battery life. If you screw someone over in the Xbox fanbase, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Xbox public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the Elite V2 for any reason, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's design lab versions. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and bring out an Elite V2 with external batteries or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Ok, this saved me ranting about internal batteries.

Seriously, c'mon MS...

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the amount of people that just use the two paddles. Having all four seems like a huge plus for games like Gears and Battlefied/COD

So what is the optimal button setup for using this with FPS??
First time user here.
Any tips ???

Having the top left and right paddles as A and B (jump and crouch) is a huge help. in the midst of a fight, you'll always have your thumb on the right thumbstick so you won't break from aiming.

I usually use the bottom paddles as left or right on the d-pad. Some games use those as equipment items or in Gears' case, it's swapping from gnasher to lancer.

May 25, 2019
London
You're not alone. I've had one of these for a little while now and tried to make it my Steam Link controller on Apple TV and no dice. It's not recognized on any of my Apple devices, and on the Steam Link box itself (which I also have), it gets recognized but the key mapping is all wrong.

Thanks Patrick, thought I was missing something obvious. One of the reasons I got this was its versatility and the idea with the case that it could go with me for xCloud in the future. Hope this pairing gets sorted out.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use only two. Which stick are you using ? The middle one (a big bigger than originals more confortable )

controller is great and having 3 profiles is a big plus. I use default / cod / smite

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised at the amount of people that just use the two paddles. Having all four seems like a huge plus for games like Gears and Battlefied/COD
Jump and crouch are the most important actions you need when playing a FPS. Having paddles mapped to switching weapons and reloading is not necessary

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
First time user here.
Any tips ???

I have had an Elite since the OG launch and this is my go to for FPS's:

Low left analogue stick
Tall right analogue stick - for more precise aiming
Both triggers set at half click is a must

Top left paddle is "A" button, usually used for jump, climb, etc.
Lower left paddle is "click in on Left analogue stick" - this is usually the run button on most FPS's or hold your breath for sniping

Top right paddle is "B" button, usually reserved for crouch, slide, prone
Bottom right paddle is "X" used for reload and picking up items (a godsend on Battle Royal modes like Blackout)

With this setup I never have to take thumbs off of movement or aiming.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Placed my order for store pickup at bestbuy today!

They sent me a 10 percent off birthday coupon. So I applied that to the controller plus I had a 40 dollar gift card. Went ahead and added the 2 year bestbuy warranty as well. (As many people recommended)

Can't wait to pick it up

I also had 10% off coupon along with $15 in rewards, so go the controller for $147 + tax, which is worth it in my opinion.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about the whole controller. I'm not going to tear apart a $180 controller the first day I get it.
Oh duh. I'm dumb. Pay no attention to the dumb kid, lol...

... and on the Steam Link box itself (which I also have), it gets recognized but the key mapping is all wrong.
Weird. Seems like people have had issues using it as a bluetooth controller on PC as well, with the mappings being screwy in steam too.

Low left analogue stick

Lower left paddle is "click in on Left analogue stick" - this is usually the run button on most FPS's or hold your breath for sniping

Bottom right paddle is "X" used for reload and picking up items (a godsend on Battle Royal modes like Blackout)

interesting to see how other people do it.
I like upper left as "sprint" (or dash in some games),
lower left as "melee,"
upper right as "weapon swap/select" or "activate"
and lower right as "jump."

I typically then will do some musical chairs number to get LS as "crouch" and RB as "reload."

Last edited:

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
i have the elite 1 and now the elite 2. its realy nice however its not worth it if you have a perfectly fine elite 1 controller. i do think the rubber grip issue will have been fixed on the new one.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone used the elite with Rocket League? That's mostly what I use my current Xbox one controller for and feel like the back paddles would be great for air rolls.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really want this... even with the issues with the gen 1 it's a great controller that's spoiled me.

Has anyone used the elite with Rocket League? That's mostly what I use my current Xbox one controller for and feel like the back paddles would be great for air rolls.

I primarily used the elite for rocket league... kinda weird but honestly the camera button going to a back paddle was such a help for me. I always clawed that button to toggle it, and moving it to the back was liberating. I only used boost + camera on the paddles.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had not thought about moving boost or ball cam. My biggest issue is that I use push to talk on RB. But I could move that to a paddle and use LB and RB for air roll... I guess I'm ordering one when I get home.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

The problem I've had with using all four paddles is unintended inputs on the lower paddles. Given the weighting of the controllers, my solution was to take off the bottom right paddle and make do with 3, which allowed me to use my dominant right hand to provide stability while eliminating the majority of unintended inputs. Supposedly the series 2 paddles are more resistant though, so we'll see if that is no longer an issue.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Can't wait to pick this up today. Also can't wait for the rubber grips to start coming off in a year. I wish they just did a really aggressive stipple job like on custom pistols.

maverick261

Nov 1, 2017
How long take this controller for loading? I have it about 2 hours in the station and it's still loading.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The internal battery sucks but I REALLY like the new paddles and the new flat thumb sticks. On top of that the trigger locks are much better. Overall I'm pretty impressed.

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
Great, just picked my controller and I got the A and X button that are getting stuck 1 pression out of 3 and stay stuck for a sec before poping out...

Terrantino

Oct 27, 2017
Dealing with some Brook converter update issues but it was delivered on time, thankfully.

hMrkLEF.jpg
Did the adapter work for you? I'm about to pull the trigger on it

winwood

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
But before we had a choice: batteries or play and charge kit, now we don't have a choice

Very true.

Mine arrived today so looking forward to giving it a go and comparing to the v1.

Lucky I have it as the Amazon delivery person decided to just leave it in my rubbish bin on top of the trash. Luckily my wife noticed and it wasn't bin collection day.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
As nice as this thing is it's not worth the upgrade from the V1 if anyone was still wondering.

winwood

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
First time user here.
Any tips ???

On my v1 I used the standard stick for movement (left) and longer stick for aiming (right). Theory being your thumb is further from the pivot of the stick, so you can increase sensitivity and larger movements of your thumb translate to smaller movements in game. Similar to adding KontrolFreeks.

I also had the triggers set to the shorter stop, so less distance to pull. On v1 you also had to adjust the pull distance in the app but apparently that's handled for you now in the V2.

Paddles I map to the buttons.
Right index finger to A (jump)
Left index finger to B (crouch)
Right middle finger to Y (switch weapon)
Left middle finger to X (reload/pickup)

Can't remember off hand what my stick curve was set to, I think smooth, which I believe was what gave me the closest feel to the old 360 sticks.

Obviously a lot more options on the V2, I'm looking forward to trying the different stick stiffness to see what impact that has.

Learning to use the paddles is amazing for fps games. A little tricky at first but becomes second nature pretty quickly.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine yesterday a day early. First time that has happened for me and on a Sunday no less! Keep having to re pair it with my PC, not sure if it's because I keep tinkering with the accessory config app? It's not bothering me enough to investigate right now.
First time owning an Xbox controller. I'm surprised I'm surprised at the quality of it, it just feels good in my hands. Spent some time just driving around in Forza to test the rumble triggers and now looking forward to see what the next generation of consoles will potentially bring with that kinda stuff

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I've used it for a few hours and I'm madly in love. Being able to sell my white elite for $120 on Ebay helps ease the price hit (though it was only $160 on costco.com so hooray!). It is an improvement in every single way for me, really is the greatest controller of all time.

Oct 27, 2017

Low left analogue stick

I will try this tomorrow when I get mine

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
i have the elite 1 and now the elite 2. its realy nice however its not worth it if you have a perfectly fine elite 1 controller. i do think the rubber grip issue will have been fixed on the new one.
Thanks for this info. I have the one and almost got the second one. Any place to get a rubber fix for the controller. Mine is starting to fall.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this info. I have the one and almost got the second one. Any place to get a rubber fix for the controller. Mine is starting to fall.
Gluing them back down was not an "acceptable" fix whenever I tried that, since you'd get air bubbles and it'll just peel back up in the future anyways. I would always just order replacement side panels (or back panel if when the back rubber comes up) and swap them in.

If it's just the side panels you can also buy the SCUF branded replacements. They're not too bad, but they do feel a bit different. It's usually more expensive than finding replacement side panels, but you won't have to worry about it falling apart though.
UXWuRBo.png

edit: make sure you buy ones that say "Elite" controller on the box. Thumbsticks aren't bad either, actual rubber instead of hard plastic which you'll find on third party thumbsticks. You can buy replacement thumbsticks from Microsoft support though.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Did MS ever add (or plan to add) the ability to map keyboard bindings to the Elite in Windows?

Apr 3, 2018
Really tempted here.

Loved so much about the Elite 1 but the right joystick got pretty loose pretty quickly (pretty much my only gripe with this gen's Xbox controller in general).

Love the idea of increased tension, even if it means there's no option for Eneloops.

Edited because spelling is hard.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I've used it for a few hours and I'm madly in love. Being able to sell my white elite for $120 on Ebay helps ease the price hit (though it was only $160 on costco.com so hooray!). It is an improvement in every single way for me, really is the greatest controller of all time.
I moved the OG Elite to my PC. PC controller to spare/xcloud and new Elite will be the console main.

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
Gluing them back down was not an "acceptable" fix whenever I tried that, since you'd get air bubbles and it'll just peel back up in the future anyways. I would always just order replacement side panels (or back panel if when the back rubber comes up) and swap them in.

If it's just the side panels you can also buy the SCUF branded replacements. They're not too bad, but they do feel a bit different. It's usually more expensive than finding replacement side panels, but you won't have to worry about it falling apart though.
UXWuRBo.png

edit: make sure you buy ones that say "Elite" controller on the box. Thumbsticks aren't bad either, actual rubber instead of hard plastic which you'll find on third party thumbsticks. You can buy replacement thumbsticks from Microsoft support though.
Thanks for the help!

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Picked mine up this morning right as gamestop opened. After about 5 hours of solid play it feels significantly better than the series one. I'm not sure why. But when I held it at first I was like "wow" and that didn't diminish. My buddy came over, he only has a ps4 and he tried it in some MK11 and his thought after 1 match was "I would kill for something like this on PS4".

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm if it connects wirelessly to the same dongle used for elite 1 controller on PC?

Marmite

Nov 15, 2017
Eurgh, as feared I'm having a nightmare getting this to work on Steam. Can't seem to make it run properly - it's recognising two controllers but its laggy and not all buttons seem to be mapped. Anybody figured out what I need to do?!

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

there was a white elite?? Omg

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm if it connects wirelessly to the same dongle used for elite 1 controller on PC?
I won't be able to actually confirm until tomorrow myself when mine arrives, but the product page on microsoft's website says this under "specifications."
For use with Xbox One systems and PCs running Windows 7 or later. Windows 10: requires Bluetooth, included USB cable, or Xbox Wireless adapter (sold separately)
Seems to outright say it'll work.

there was a white elite?? Omg
It's what I use for my PC while my black one is my "Xbox One X elite."

For what it's worth, the rubber still has yet to even start to come up, but I've used it a hell of a lot less than my black controller.