• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It seems unlikely but does anyone here have experience using both of these controllers? I ask because it seems like you get the most for your money with the Elite but the Instinct seems more in line with what I'm looking for? It's been hard to get a great sense of the build quality of either controller because most people seem to confuse a controller feeling heavy and solid as good build quality. I've seen mixed feelings on the build quality for the Elite 2 and I've seen negative impressions on build quality for older Scuf controllers but people seem mostly positive on the Instinct?

I came across this review for the Instinct Pro (which is marginally different from the Instinct) which I found fairly informative though they don't really dig into build quality compared to Elite 2:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/17/...ler-wireless-series-x-s-one-pc-features-price

I own(ed?) an Elite 1 which was great until it wasn't which is definitely a factor in me looking at Elite alternatives. Because when it was a great controller it was a GREAT controller but it's a lot of money to spend on something that goes to shit in a not particularly long period of time and I've definitely seen a good share of people have major issues with Elite 2.

So what do you miss by going with Instinct over Elite 2?

Cons:
- No Trigger locks (Instinct Pro has them and apparently it's better than the Elite 2 in this regard). This is a feature I never used and never have had real interest in using but yeah.
- Lacks adjustable stick tension. Again, I don't really care about this.
- Does not include hard case. Yet again, I don't really care about this.
- Technically paying more for less as previously stated (especially with the Instinct).

Pros:
- A not quite Design Labs degree of visual customization is possible.
- Easily replaceable/removable controller faceplate.
- Same base design and dimensions of a Series S|X controller so I believe this controller is marginally smaller than the Elite 2 since I want to say the Elite 2 is still the same dimensions as a X1 controller?
- Uses the same board and driver updates as the official Series S|X controllers so input latency should be about the same.
- Has back buttons instead of back paddles.
- Does not have a built in rechargeable battery pack (some will hate this but not me!).
- Does not have rubber grips which was among the many things about the Elite 1 I owned that was great until it wasn't (Instinct Pro has rubber grips).

So any thoughts on these controllers or experience people have using these controllers would be greatly appreciated.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
All I can say is personally, I like the layout of the paddles on the elite controllers and the paddles on SCUF controllers being side-by-side always left my putting them on pause (note: I've never used a SCUF).

This new version with the buttons doesn't really make me feel better about them.

It looks like the Instinct does have a rubber grip, just around the back and not where your palms go, so yeah... that would be a turn off for me since I generally hold my controllers with my palms (I guess only the more expensive Instinct has the rubber grips too, not the "standard" one ).

Another review I saw on SIFTD a few days ago for consideration.
www.gamespot.com

Scuf Instinct Pro Review: The First Great Alternative To The Xbox Elite Controller

This Xbox Series X controller boasts excellent ergonomics and tons of customization features. It's also $200.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
My Elite 2 started drifting a few months in and the A button was hit and miss.

I'm now using the Thrustmaster Eswap X Pro controller and whilst the built quality isn't quite there compared to the Elite controllers I'm actually really happy with it. It takes getting used to as it is quite big but the buttons work first time, they don't feel mushy and if a thumbstick ever starts to drift I can just swap it for a new one.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I have owned the elite 2 and currently have 4 prestige scuf controllers and absolutely love them. I sold the elite if that's any indication. I can't speak to the instinct though.

EXXo

Nov 12, 2019
Manchester
Instinct has the mouse triggers which is an absolute game changer, you will 100% be able to tell when someone is using one.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
- Can't map triggers to back buttons

As an Elite user, this is a massive con for accessibility that I don't understand why they don't allow. I also don't like the style of back button either. Pull for one button flex finger out for the other is strange.

Valanarro

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed an elite v2 after the halo announcement as those ones went out of stock but I've been having some issues with the A button, which seems to be a common problem. Might just return it and keep an eye on the Instinct Pro and see if I can get one when its back in stock

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
I'm done buying expensive controllers when they're just going to break in 2 months. I went through 5 Elite controllers, and all started drifting. The last one started it within a couple weeks of receiving it.

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
All I can say is personally, I like the layout of the paddles on the elite controllers and the paddles on SCUF controllers being side-by-side always left my putting them on pause (note: I've never used a SCUF).

This new version with the buttons doesn't really make me feel better about them.

It looks like the Instinct does have a rubber grip, just around the back and not where your palms go, so yeah... that would be a turn off for me since I generally hold my controllers with my palms (I guess only the more expensive Instinct has the rubber grips too, not the "standard" one ).

Another review I saw on SIFTD a few days ago for consideration.
www.gamespot.com

Scuf Instinct Pro Review: The First Great Alternative To The Xbox Elite Controller

This Xbox Series X controller boasts excellent ergonomics and tons of customization features. It's also $200.
I'm with you on the paddles but I really like the idea of the paddles being replaced with buttons. Maybe I would end up hating them but on paper I like them.
I have owned the elite 2 and currently have 4 prestige scuf controllers and absolutely love them. I sold the elite if that's any indication. I can't speak to the instinct though.
Hm, I haven't really looked at the Prestige but maybe I'll take a look at them.
Instinct has the mouse triggers which is an absolute game changer, you will 100% be able to tell when someone is using one.
That's interesting but that seems to be specific to the Instinct Pro, not the Instinct.

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm done buying expensive controllers when they're just going to break in 2 months. I went through 5 Elite controllers, and all started drifting. The last one started it within a couple weeks of receiving it.
That was kind of the drive behind checking out Scuf. Like I said previously, stuff I read made it sound like there were build quality issues with their earlier products but maybe not so much now?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you on the paddles but I really like the idea of the paddles being replaced with buttons. Maybe I would end up hating them but on paper I like them.
There's just something that doesn't look "ideal" to me.

Kwt35Fy.jpg

picture taken from the Gamespot review

Trying to put my fingers in this position on some standard controller, and it feels like you're supposed to use each "rocker" with one finger each. Like it looks like your middle finger would slot in right in the middle there naturally.

It just feels like it would be awkward to press the "inner" buttons if you needed to in a hurry or something.

Maybe I need to try it out though, and they feel better than they look to me.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
All of my scufs over the years have been excellent. No qa issues. I've owned many impact, vantage, and prestige models.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Lol. People think the Elite has a lot of quality issues? Whew you should read more about Scuf products.

Can't wait to see their rubber disintegrate in a matter of weeks some more

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I for one, hate the smaller Series controllers, they're uncomfortable, so Elite 2 wins by default for me, so much more comfortable to use than the standard controller. I know it's not even a huge difference technically, but in my hands it really does feel a lot different.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
idk I use the paddles on my series 2 controller for halo MCC (have presets for it, even for games like hades) and it's that right amount of sensitivity you need to PC-like bunny hop and avoid shots… I don't think I'd be able to do that as easily with the scuffs back buttons but I could be wrong. Other than that though I'd get the scuff controller if I didn't know anything about either lol, it's just looks way better.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the Astro C40 for a couple months now and enjoy back buttons more than paddles.
I'm definitely eyeing the SCUF Instinct Pro, which is a very familiar controller to the C40 (Back buttons, built in trigger stops, same remapping function).

Biggest worry is quality issues but it seems both the Elite 2 and prior SCUFs have had a ton of them. Hopefully SCUF is taking advantage of Corsair's fab.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Cons on both Elite Series controllers: Build quality.

I've owned two, both have had critical flaws. My Elite 2 I've had the worst stick drift of any controller I've ever owned, legit completely unuseable. If I don't touch the controller for about 3 seconds, Arthur in RDR will go into a full on walk/run. This was after only a few months of ownership. I filled a warranty request for it ages ago, but MS never sent me the shipping slip.... gotta figrue out what's going on there, I just stopped using it in favor of the default Xbox Series controller.

On my original Elite, the sticks "lifted off" from the casing... like if I turned the controller upside down, the plastic stick things would jiggle and "fall" in their compartment. I fixed this by taking the controller apart and stuffing some cotton in there, but it's still fucking stupid.

That two $200 controllers seem to have really shitty build quality has turned me off from all of Microsoft's more expensive controllers. I'm batting .000 on two controllers that cost about $400 combined, where as the default controllers that come with the console or are $50 seem fine to me.

I've never used scuf controllers so I don't know how they compare built quality wise, I only know that the Elite series has really bad build quality for any controller, but when considering that they cost damn near $200 or w/e it is, it's inexcusable.

Jan 18, 2021
I've been using the Astro C40 for a couple months now and enjoy back buttons more than paddles.
I'm definitely eyeing the SCUF Instinct Pro, which is a very familiar controller to the C40 (Back buttons, built in trigger stops, same remapping function).

Biggest worry is quality issues but it seems both the Elite 2 and prior SCUFs have had a ton of them. Hopefully SCUF is taking advantage of Corsair's fab.
My c40 died on me after not using it for a few months.

Was working perfectly then when i got my series x and playex less ps4 i put the c40 away in its case. Pull it out a few days ago and it wont charge at all, tried resetting etc. Even the dongle doesnt glow anymore when i plug it i to the ps4 usb slots. Toggled to wired and wont even get detect by my laptop using the usb cable that came with it and other cables.

Loved the controller and its in great condition except not working now

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I'm still waiting for a someone to give a good explanation of how those inner back buttons on the Instinct work. Because they seem awful

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Maybe middle finger for the inner ones and ring for the outer/bigger buttons?

*Edit* Nevermind I found a more recent review video of it where someone finally shows how to use them. And yeah it looks super uncomfortable. I'm curious how well I can use them with average to below average hand size.

Pressing up with my ring finger to press those buttons sounds 11 kinds of awful

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I know people have problems with the elite series 2 but I have 3 and between me and my cousins we have about 8-10 and none of them had issues so take it as it is.

my other cousin just ordered the new scuff and can report on those new back buttons shortly.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
My Elite 2 started drifting a few months in and the A button was hit and miss.

I'm now using the Thrustmaster Eswap X Pro controller and whilst the built quality isn't quite there compared to the Elite controllers I'm actually really happy with it. It takes getting used to as it is quite big but the buttons work first time, they don't feel mushy and if a thumbstick ever starts to drift I can just swap it for a new one.

The A button on *every* Elite I've tried has been hit and miss. You can guarantee a press by pressing firm, but you shouldn't have to. I went through 3 before I realized it's inherent.

kamen_tater

Oct 27, 2017
I have never used a scuf controller, but I do fidget with the back paddles in my elite 2 and push the base of the paddles at basically the same area as the scuf back buttons with no problem. Then again, people have issues with stick placement that have never bothered me, so the comfort of the back buttons may vary.

Jan 18, 2021
*Edit* Nevermind I found a more recent review video of it where someone finally shows how to use them. And yeah it looks super uncomfortable. I'm curious how well I can use them with average to below average hand size.

Pressing up with my ring finger to press those buttons sounds 11 kinds of awful
Shit looking at it closer and putting sticky tack to imitiate the positions i think maybe your supposed to use your middle fingers only. I eas pushing the bigger buttons using the tip of my middle finger and pressing the smaller button with the finger print part of my middle finger. If that explanation makes sense. But using a different finger for each button didnt feel as good.

Not exactly scientific but im sure extremerate will sell a knockoff diy kit and maybe ill sacrifice the original seties x controller to try it

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Series 2 is a bad product. I had one and it had a double input issue. If I'm spending this much for a controller, it needs to work out of the box.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I was also looking at the Scuf Instinct, wanting a good controller with back buttons. I thought it might be better quality than the Elite (which I never bought because of that) but reading posts here it seems it's probably about the same.

Not sure about the back buttons on the Instinct, then again not sure either about those weird paddles on the Elite. I'm quite happy with the back buttons on my recently gifted Thrustmaster Eswap X, it's just the controller itself that is a little big for my taste. The Eswap does feel like it's quite reliable, time will tell. But for my second PC that's plugged in the TV, I need a wireless controller.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely interested but have a PS5 so will wait for that version instead (apparently they are doing one?). For the price of these controllers I'd want to use them on the PS5 too (don't have an Xbox). Thats why I liked the original Elite, with that Brooks adapter you could use it on any platform.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The Elites have a lot of quality control issues and they still have t updated the design for the series consoles for whatever reason. I'd stay away

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are great, but all the reviews I've seen/read suggest that the Scuf Instinct Pro is the new controller to beat.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get an Elite v2 until MS publicly acknowledges the incredibly common issue where certain face buttons occasionally fail to activate when pressed lightly. Seems like a great controller otherwise, but that was a dealbreaker for me.

My Elite v1 was screwed up in another way, with the shoulder buttons just breaking after a year. For the price MS is charging, they really should be catching stuff like this.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The Elites have a lot of quality control issues and they still have t updated the design for the series consoles for whatever reason. I'd stay away

Yep, my A button doesn't respond from time to time, my right bumper is automatically 2 presses when I use it and both switches on the backside of the controller broke off almost immediately after using it. They still work so I didn't really care about at the time but geez this thing is a nightmare.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I've had 10 Elite v2's and I just could not get past the issue of buttons often not registering when not pressed in the center (hit buttons somewhat on the edge and it won't register. No other controllers I own has issue with this PS4/PS5/Switch Pro/X360/XOne/Xbox Elite Controller v1). No reviewers seemed too bothered with this so its gone much unnoticed unlike other issues such as sticking buttons or broken triggers, deadzone triggers.

I had a v1 which I loved but I am not touching v2 again, and I don't think the new Halo version of these is going to be any different either. After 10 exchanges I got a refund, several of them had additional issues on top of the one listed above.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Quick and easy unboxing that is good simple look

Now just waiting for an actual "performance" review. Someone who isn't an influencer actually playing shooters/racers with it.

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017
RB button on my Series 2 straight up stopped working a week ago, on top of the intermittent A button, and I love the idea of a mouse-click like action for the triggers. Gonna buy one of these.

Edit: it's extra cool that you can order it without rumble to save weight.

Edit 2: the warranty is only 180d and it uses OEM Xbox parts? Uh.

Last edited:

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Just put an order in for a SCUF instinct pro. Grey with black accents. No clue when I'll get it but will post impressions when I do.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
www.ign.com

Scuf Instinct Pro Review - IGN

The Scuf Instinct Pro features four redesigned rear paddles that are more natural to use, an enhanced grip, and interchangeable thumbsticks. Instant triggers can be easily activated for faster response time and less fatigue, giving you the competitive advantage over your opponents.

Mine should be coming in today.

Jan 18, 2021
Picked up the elite few weeks ago. Holy shit the battery is amazing. Lasted longer than the eneloops i usually use. Hated the long triggers so i got an rxtra pair of the short ones from amazon way more comfortable. No problems so far. Cant decide on stick resistance. Didnt like the high setting. Stuck between moderate and low. some games low feels great but some games moderate feels better.