• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Judge

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I just had mine repaired (they actually replace it with a "new" one), and it was out of warranty (by a couple of months), so I had to pay $100. If I'm reading this correctly, I should get that refunded. I just checked and lo and behold, the warranty shows "active until 2/21"
Yep, they said they will retroactively refund before end of October if you paid to have it repaired. So You can probably expect to see a refund soon!

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Great news. I haven't had huge issues with mine, but over the last few months I've been noticing more and more A presses that don't register.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Of course this would come after mine had expired and I opened it trying to fix it. Ugh

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Nice, haven't had any issues with mine but I won't lie I've been very nervous after the stories. It's crazy that they can't seem to sort it out, an elite 3 cannot have these issues period.

Last edited:

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
This is terrible timing for me. I literally had to buy a kit to open the controller last week, because my right trigger was sticking because the pad had flipped to the other side of the plastic.

Tulustan

Sep 22, 2020
Pretty happy about this since I have just been living with my right bumper being very unresponsive.

Nov 1, 2017
I had an Elite, the first version. It was, by far, the greatest controller i have ever owned. I could confidently say that it definitely enhanced my enjoyment of gaming and the paddles were a revelation.

I returned it when the grips peeled off and got my money back.

It's honestly shocking to me that such an expensive, premium product still has serious build quality issues as evidenced by them having to extend the warranty. The fact that they didn't manage to fix whatever issues were being caused for the 2nd revision somehow makes it worse.

If they release a third version of this product to match the design of XSX i'm still going to wait to see what the build quality is like. I would like nothing more than to buy a new one but there is no way i'm rolling the dice with a defective product like that. I'm just lucky i managed to buy it from Amazon who despite being pure evil and the absolute worst who need to be stopped (sorry Jeff Bezos but you can honestly go fuck yourself) have such a great returns policy that i still buy anything expensive from them just in case.

Come on Microsoft. Sort it out.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Nice that it applies retroactively and extends quite considerably from 90 days, as it used to be more worthwhile to go through the retailer at that point

I got mine a few weeks ago and so far love it compared to the Series 1 but I am dreading having issues with it based on what I've seen people complain about so far

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is terrible timing for me. I literally had to buy a kit to open the controller last week, because my right trigger was sticking because the pad had flipped to the other side of the plastic.
This was what happened to mine. Ended up taking the pad off on the 2nd time and used goo gone to kill any of the residue.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Never buying an Elite controller again. Second iteration and it still has issues with stick drift and bumper press registration. I genuinely don't get what they fixed other than the grip not peeling off. Overpriced piece of garbage.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I had 10 of these and then stopped trying. 2 months of exchanges. Stupid thing. Loved the first version but this one SUCKS.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Thank goodness. I got two that both have issues. I just logged in yesterday and saw it was a 100 for out of warranty replacement.

Love the controller but very disappointed with quality

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that they brought support up to what should be the bare minimum. Next they should build these Elite controllers so they break a lot less. I have zero confidence in a gen 3 version with what they considered ok for two generations already.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I called support like 6 months ago about sticking right trigger. They basically told me that I could pay them 100 dollars or buy a new one. I was pissed. The controller is so damn expensive and 3 months was laughable with so many issues. I saw it had been updated a few days ago and sent mine in for a replacement. Hopefully no issues.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
This was what happened to mine. Ended up taking the pad off on the 2nd time and used goo gone to kill any of the residue.
I tried to put my pad back but it still sticks. Hopefully those laws about opening up not voiding warranty are still in effect. I should have thought to just remove it and goo gone. Still a huge bummer for such an expensive controller. Not sure why they can't get it right.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god. This controller has given me nothing but problems since I bought it earlier in the year.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is definitely something wrong with the production of these. I got two and each of them had a fault right out of the box. Unreal.

macjester

Dec 12, 2018
There is definitely something wrong with the production of these. I got two and each of them had a fault right out of the box. Unreal.
I had a series 1 that had button issues. I have a series 2 as well -- which I've had repaired). My general feeling is these are basically series 1 guts + buletooth, with a new shell. They seriously need to look at the build quality based on what they are charging. i suppose as long as I'm in warranty, I will keep getting it replaced?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cool, this extends my warranty a bit. I had button stick issues when I first bought it that have gone away with use, and my right trigger got to a point where it stuck and it's since been fixed by just using it too. I feel like the rubberized coating they put on the outside of the controller seems to either expand or leak into button slots and create friction when buttons are actuated — best theory — and can be dealt with by using the controller. It shouldn't happen at all though.

Sometimes I get a double/ghost input when I press A now.

I am wondering if I should have repair/replacement work done or not. It is an otherwise amazing controller but I think I wanna wait for a Series 3 for the altered Series X|S ergonomics, hopefully a dedicated Share Button, and maybe just generally lessons learned about QC from this Series 2.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The A button issue is clearly common enough that this controller is moribund. I have no idea how they could both raise the price after all the problems with the first, and also still settle on something that bungles basic functionality in a way their standard controllers don't.'

Ridiculous product. It feels nice in the hands, certainly feels like a premium product. But a controller can't possibly be considered "good" if it has widespread issues like both Elite controllers do. Never mind one worth paying the price of 2-3 standard controllers for.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Welcome to the glorious republic of Australia friends. Enjoy your complimentary 1 year warranties on basically everything. 😎

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Buy it from Best Buy and get a 2-Year walk-in warranty, folks. If you're already paying that much it's worth the investment if you love the controller like I do.

I haven't had an issue yet, but this really spared me some grey hairs with the Series 1.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Buy it from Best Buy and get a 2-Year walk-in warranty, folks. If you're already paying that much it's worth the investment if you love the controller like I do.

I haven't had an issue yet, but this really spared me some grey hairs with the Series 1.
My issue with the best buy warranty is $60 for 2 years, that's 1/3 the cost of the device

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I take it this is in the US? Because in the UK, I believe 1 year manufacturer's warranties are the minimum by law. Will they be increasing the warranty for the UK models, or is that sticking to 1 year?

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
About damn time they finally did this. I went thru at least 4-5 of them before finally giving up.
Coincidentally I got another one this week, which actually NO ISSUES. I'm legit stunned. Karma I guess.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness. Glad they did it honestly this one was much less smooth than my Series 1.

Going to finally replace mine so I can play Warlock properly in D2. Left bumper on mine double registers like 50-75% of the time on release of the button. Makes controlled glide pretty sketchy.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
It still blows my mind that these elite controllers still have so many problems. Is the build quality better on the standard xbox one controllers?

This is part of the reason why I have waited with buying them. As usual it is insane that the US has no warranty standard. I remember it shocked me when I found out about the anti consumer standards there. It was quite ridiculous when a product can have different warranty on the parts it's built of.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I never knew the US only has a 90 day warranty for their electrical devices, that's way too short.

I just assumed in my ignorance that it was a globally accepted practice to have 1 year at minimum.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty happy about this since I have just been living with my right bumper being very unresponsive.
This and double registers along with the face buttons being responsive like 60% of the time and random disconnects. 90 day warranty for such a premium product should be a crime. Good to see them turn around most likely due to the lawsuits. Put in my order so fast.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Quite frankly, I'm still shocked that they would release such a relatively expensive product and NOT provide at least a 1-year warranty. That was high-key bullshit.

The fact that it took them this long to resolve speaks to their [abject lack of] confidence in this product. I'll check back in when the Series 3 releases and has had some time to settle in with durability feedback.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I just bought one on Saturday since I'd heard the warranty was extended.

A button isn't always responsive, and that's straight out of the box. Looks like I'll be starting the exchange process. I'll probably return it to Best Buy this time, and deal with MS if the new one is a dud too.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I had an Elite, the first version. It was, by far, the greatest controller i have ever owned. I could confidently say that it definitely enhanced my enjoyment of gaming and the paddles were a revelation.

It's honestly shocking to me that such an expensive, premium product still has serious build quality issues as evidenced by them having to extend the warranty. The fact that they didn't manage to fix whatever issues were being caused for the 2nd revision somehow makes it worse.

If they release a third version of this product to match the design of XSX i'm still going to wait to see what the build quality is like. I would like nothing more than to buy a new one but there is no way i'm rolling the dice with a defective product like that.

Basically this is my experience and current thinking exactly.

It's such a bummer. A product I want to love, a new console generation, and no confidence (or track record) at all that the build quality will live up to expectations.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, this was the main reason holding me back from buying it. I'll probably get a Series 3 if MS doesn't discontinue the Elite controller line.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Still using and loving my launch gen 1 Elite Controller, I've luckily not had any of the issues others had. I'm skipping this gen 2 controller altogether, too many issues and not enough improvements. Will take a look at whatever the Series X Elite controller is, but I'll definitely be waiting a few months to see how it shakes out

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just found this out today. Started having issues in April right when mine expired. I just found this out today when I randomly checked my devices in my Microsoft Account. Awesome. I had bought a Scuf to try but no comparison. Will send that back.

How did you guys pack yours to send back?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I just found this out today. Started having issues in April right when mine expired. I just found this out today when I randomly checked my devices in my Microsoft Account. Awesome. I had bought a Scuf to try but no comparison. Will send that back.

How did you guys pack yours to send back?
I had a box lying around that was fortunately the right size and added some plastic bags for extra measure. Got mine back yesterday and it seems like they gave me a brand new one. I had a lot of issues with mine(frequent/random disconnects, unreliable face buttons/bumpers) Haven't tested it out yet. It was about a little over a week overall. Anyone else get theirs back?

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had a box lying around that was fortunately the right size and added some plastic bags for extra measure. Got mine back yesterday and it seems like they gave me a brand new one. I had a lot of issues with mine(frequent/random disconnects, unreliable face buttons/bumpers) Haven't tested it out yet. It was about a little over a week overall. Anyone else get theirs back?
Where are you and how long did it take round trip? I'm in Canada, my controller was delivered on the 22nd and I haven't had the status change to received. I also had another Series 2 service request randomly show up on my account last week for a completely different controller.