• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Purely concerned from Sony's announcement of haptics etc for the DS5 - don't want my Elite 2 to be old news from a featureset perspective after 1yr.

I'm hyped about the haptics in the DS5, but I'll believe they're a game changer when I see the receipts. The DS4 touchpad was abandoned quickly, as were the gyro controls in the Sixaxis. Heck, even the Switch doesn't really utilize the "HD Rumble" feature for most new games.

is this getting replaced next year with scarlett?

I believe they've stated that the Elite V2 will be forward-compatible. We won't likely see a V3 for at least a few years.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
honest tip for anyone interested who didn't own the original......

Let others test these. The bumper on mine snapped (with light use) on the original and they were advertised as incredibly well built.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The SN30 Pro+ probably had the most elegant solution to batteries in a controller I've ever seen. It comes with a removable battery pack that can be directly charged in the controller. If you remove it, normal AA batteries can be used instead. A smart design that's both flexible and future proof.
Yeah, I wish they went this route. I get that high-end products usually come with internal non-replaceable batteries, but that's because they're generally too small for AAs. Controllers are not.

Saw this review from D-troid on SIFTD.

...when people were excited to find out that Sony is focusing on haptic feedback for their new PlayStation 5 controllers (presumably the DualShock 5), my first thought was "Microsoft had that as a basic feature in 2013."
I don't think this line from the review is right, though. right? Or am I fucked up here?

I have a Black Elite from launch, a white elite from its launch, and I have 2 Series 2 elites preordered and paid off (one's a gift). I can't wait.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just need to know how tight those sticks will get. Give me alllllll the resistance! Everything is too loose nowadays.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
They've already confirmed all X1 controllers will work with Scarlett
I (of course) love that the elite controllers will be forward compatible, but the thing that made me really go "Oh, that's nice! Good move" is that all those Design Labs controllers will come forward too. I mean, they're just standard controllers but I like that the thing that you spent extra to personalize(if you got one, that is) will still be "usuable" with the next generation.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Out of interest, why do some of you prefer a wired controller to a detachable usb C cable? Even if it had no bluetooth or battery I'd prefer a detachable cable.

Feb 10, 2018
I wonder if they have series 3 come out with scarlett with varried tension levels on the triggers and switch like rumble.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
EHALiFKWkAAR2d6

Lol who took this picture? Do people not clean their controllers? Why not just grab a cloth and clean their controller before a picture lol?

(If it was you theorry it's not a shot or anything, I'm just surprised)

Elite 2 looks really nice but definitely out of my price range. Not a fan of internal batteries tho but it is what is.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
I don't think this line from the review is right, though. right? Or am I fucked up here?
Iirc, the X1 controller has normal vibration in the triggers. The author seems to be confusing that with the "HD Rumble" included in the DS5's triggers. It's a bit different from the implementation in the joy cons (as a replacement for normal rumble) and has more in common with the Steam Controller. So they're not entirely wrong, but it's supposed to have practical implications for the DS5.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
i knew it was possible. but i ended up replacing my broken e1 the day before the announcement. oof. will still pick this up day 1

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Really want this, since I love the original Elite so much. But I wanna see what the Scarlett controller is like! Ugh.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
wasting my bday present on this, hope it's worth it (for my GFs bank accounts sake). Not too concerned about Scarlets controller features, since I'll have one with the console and the One controller is still the GOAT imo. Even the damn extended warranty is more expensive at BB sheesh.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
One of the sticks on my v1 has split open and I can't find an official replacement :/

Would be keen to get my hand son this when the price is right!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Worst case scenario is you
One of the sticks on my v1 has split open and I can't find an official replacement :/

Would be keen to get my hand son this when the price is right!

What about the other set of sticks that came with it? Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I just swapped them out.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My current elite controller has an A button that sticks from very minimal use, zero debris and living inside its case whenever it wasn't in use. I don't abuse controllers, my childhood N64 controllers still work, are in great condition and those are notoriously fragile. Same with my Gamecube controllers. So for this historically expensive first party controller, of all my controllers I've ever owned to be that fragile, there's no way I'm plunking down more money for a slightly improved version that may or may not fall apart after minimal, responsible use.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Worst case scenario is you

What about the other set of sticks that came with it? Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I just swapped them out.
I don't love the height :( Also may not be able to find them...
You can order a replacement set of sticks (in the US at least edit: apparently Australia too) from Microsoft support. I think it cost me about 30 dollars. The official ones are much nicer than the third party ones you can find that are made of plastic on the head rather than rubber.

edit: Hold on, lemme figure this out again, lol
Here's a write up on how to do so. Going from memory it's the same way I did it not too long ago.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I am 95% convinced the 'internal battery rah rah' response is simply because of the fact that internal battery VS eneloops has always been this big contention point between Xbox and Playstation and people now have to come to grips with the alternative.

Let's face it. High end consumer electronics simply doesn't come with a slot for AA's anymore. The demand for consumer alkaline batteries is lower than it has ever been because everything these days is rechargeable. Swapping physical batteries and compromising your design for bulky AA's is completely outdated as a concept.

And this internal battery lasts for 40+ hours and is likely user-replaceable if you're handy with a small screwdriver. It's a leap forward.

Being a regular user of eneloops normally I'd disagree with you here, but the Pro controller on the Switch has changed my mind. That 40 hour battery life (if true) sounds great. Plus the design on this is incredible. I bet it feels good to hold too.

I would get it if I knew it was 100% the same controller the next Xbox was using.

They wouldn't have designed it from the ground up if there were going to be radically different features in the next controller, no? All peripherals are compatible with Scarlett.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Are there any impressions of the replacement d-pad (not the weird disk thing)?

That's the main thing that's giving me pause since it doesn't look very comfy. Otherwise I'd be totally down.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For how long tho? That's the entire problem with these POS internal batteries. Ugh, way to fuck this thing up., looks like a cool controller otherwise.

I'd imagine they last at least several years, and even when their life starts to noticeably decay, you can always just swap it out with a new internal battery. Internal doesn't mean the controller can't be taken apart or that its internal parts can't be replaced.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I am very out of touch I guess, but the number one thing I've always hated about Xbox controllers is the lack of rechargeable batteries. Is what people ITT are complaining about that it merely not be removable, or are they actually clamoring for this thing to ship with two empty AA battery slots?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I hope they improve is the community profile section. Been abandoned since Elite 1 came out lol.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I am very out of touch I guess, but the number one thing I've always hated about Xbox controllers is the lack of rechargeable batteries. Is what people ITT are complaining about that it merely not be removable, or are they actually clamoring for this thing to ship with two empty AA battery slots?
They are complaining about the lack of options. If it had come with a removable play and charge kit, or an open battery compartment they could use eneloops like they have forever. Now though they can't. It's about the loss of options mostly.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully at some point they release a version with the option of a removable battery, because until then I don't really care about it.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
The Cronusmax Pro is a USB to micro-USB connection. Would it not work now being a USB to USB-C instead?

Genuine question as I have no idea. Do these cables send completely different data across?
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'd rather a full wireless connection without involving a complicated setup that the Cronuxmax offers.
Brook has a nice offering for the Elite V1, that works really well except for the sucky battery they include in the adapter.

ItsJonesy777

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'd rather a full wireless connection without involving a complicated setup that the Cronuxmax offers.
Brook has a nice offering for the Elite V1, that works really well except for the sucky battery they include in the adapter.

Yeah a wireless option would be great for the Series 2. I've been using the CM+ for my Elite on the PS4 since it released without issue, setup was pretty simple really but not as streamlined as the Brooks adapter.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I've always been meaning to get one of those but keep putting off to "I'll just get it later." The battery sucks in that thing?

Maybe they can make a slimmer unit since it doesn't need to power the controller for the series 2 controllers? I don't know, I guess I've been thinking about this a while even though I've never bought and used (but still intend to... someday lol) the V1's adapter.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Oh, I've always been meaning to get one of those but keep putting off to "I'll just get it later." The battery sucks in that thing?

Maybe they can make a slimmer unit since it doesn't need to power the controller for the series 2 controllers? I don't know, I guess I've been thinking about this a while even though I've never bought and used (but still intend to... someday lol) the V1's adapter.
Yes, unfortunately the battery lasts around 5 ~ 6 hours and it isn't easily replaceable.
It is an almost perfect solution though, it works great with both the PS4 and Switch, it's easy to swap modes and all.
The battery is just terrible unfortunately.

They now offer a newer version too, it supposedly has a bigger battery.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
This and Death Stranding CE so close to each other D:

I'll try to win the Taco Bell challenge lol

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not sure I'm too keen on the charging stand being built into the case. Would probably rather something separate that looks better on a shelf or desk.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I'm too keen on the charging stand being built into the case. Would probably rather something separate that looks better on a shelf or desk.

Looking at Brad's video, you can take it out of the case.

If not, third party solutions will come out sooner or later and since the battery is internal, it's gonna be easier. Old third party solutions came with their own battery and they mostly sucked or died fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.