• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I tried to, I really did. it just feels unnatural to me. I dunno, I think I'm just too old and too set in my ways of gripping pads and not using my index fingers/palms. That, plus I would always accidentally push one in accidentally. Eh, maybe I just need to keep practicing.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Just one for replacing having to click in a stick to run. It's so much better.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Depends on the game. Forza I use for paddle shifting if i am not using my wheel. SHooters I use for jumping and reload. So yes, I use them but not 100% of the time.

OP
OP
AgentOtaku

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tweak the analog range?

Basically with something like Dragons Dogma or Sekiro, they require you to almost hold the analg all the way down for the input to register... this is especially annoying for Sekiro as it can really mess up your deflect timing. But yeah, you can entirely eliminate the range used via the app, so the slightest press registers an input, almost like a digital button. That shit is game changing :)

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
I use all four paddles almost exclusively. It's so nice to never have to move any of my fingers, especially my thumbs. I do hope that the next gen version of the elite has more durable paddles. After playing Interceptor on Anthem, my Y assigned paddle is more depressed than the others now.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
All for of them mimicking the 4 face buttons.

I find it transformative, and weird because depending on the context I'm either pressing the face button or the paddle, sometimes even for combos/combination (like press X+Y one on the face button and one on the paddle)

I'm not even sure I can actually play on a regular controller anymore, it's been years since I even tried XD

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, just two of them on the back for A and B replacements mainly for FPS titles.

Oct 31, 2017
It depends on the game, honestly.

I bought mine to play with Halo 5 almost exclusively. Being able to thrust, slide, sprint, and clamber without taking your thumb off of the analog stick is a game changer at higher levels of play in that, due to its pace and how movement, looking, and positioning all interrelate in H5.

Other than H5 though, I've not had too much use for the paddles but they are nice.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Anyone tweak the analog range?

Basically with something like Dragons Dogma or Sekiro, they require you to almost hold the analg all the way down for the input to register... this is especially annoying for Sekiro as it can really mess up your deflect timing. But yeah, you can entirely eliminate the range used via the app, so the slightest press registers an input, almost like a digital button. That shit is game changing :)
I have a setup for shooters that moves the cursor really slow unless you go all the way. Took me a while to get used to it, but allows for precision aiming even if you are somewhat rude when moving the stick.

And then I replaced the right one for the taller one. Feels great

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the game. Very useful for DMC5. Makes Twosome Time and Nero's Charge Shot sooooo much easier, plus air taunts because the button is tiny and hard to roll your thumb to without looking compared to the massive touchpad on the DualShock 4.

I leave them off for Hitman and other slower-paced games though. Really wish you could do more than just map them to singular other buttons. Doing button combinations with one click would be great.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
I use my elite only for specific games.. but I do use the paddles. :)

Games like NHL series that have the damn hustle as the left thumbstick button, changing it to a paddle is amazing. I used to break controllers (both PS and X) with the damn hustle. Now, if i play NHL on ps4, I use my elite with an adapter and it's amazing

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do, but I only use two in a kinda weird configuration. I use the two small ones only, and place them asymmetrically in line with the corresponding stick positions (high for the left, low for the right). It's really comfortable, though.

KiLLaDeZo

Banned
Mar 27, 2018
I have an elite controller and barely used the back triggers.
Last year I got a "razor" controller which has 2 big paddles which I use all the time. They feel much better and easier to use. Only downfall with the razor controller is that it's wired , apparently to not give any latency as it's meant to be for 'pros'.

Overall I think the razor is a better controller imo

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion there's practically zero reason to own the Elite Controller unless you're using the paddles. That's the whole point.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I bought one with the intention to use them and I think I've kept them off since I first tried them. They're very useful, I think, but I kept bumping them with my big hands.

Did you know you can disable them? You double tap the green 'connect' button and this disables the paddles. The controller will vibrate to confirm.

You can then quickly re-enable them by tapping the green button.

I use them all the time for FPS and/or 3rd person games, however typically disable for most others.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I use them when they make sense for me and don't use them when they don't. I always have all 4 paddles on the controller but while sometimes I use all 4, other times I actively choose to only use 1 or 2. If it's a shooter I'm definitely using all 4, and it's a game-changer. If playing something like Horizon Zero Dawn I may use 1-2.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
YES! Can't live without paddles now. I have 3 modded Dualshock 4 controllers with rear buttons and even my Switch controller has them.

I only use 2 though. With 4 I press the additional 2 accidentally too often.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Did you know you can disable them? You double tap the green 'connect' button and this disables the paddles. The controller will vibrate to confirm.

You can then quickly re-enable them by tapping the green button.

I use them all the time for FPS and/or 3rd person games, however typically disable for most others.
Yeah, but seeing as I never use them/never really want to go back to trying them I just leave them off. Easy enough to take off/put back on anyways

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
All 4 all the time.

Top left: b (crouching)
Top right: a (sprint or jump)

bottom left/right: Some combination of left and right on the dpad for weapon changes, other actions.

It's a godsend.

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
I used the two smaller paddles, upside down for A and B, I had gotten really used to it for Halo 5 jumping and dashing.

After 3 years though, my joysticks on the controller have a lot of drift (it's out of warranty) and I kinda stopped using the controller, playing Halo 5 and Xbox in general (PCMR!) I was going to buy a new, second controller but settled on a regular styled one and I haven't missed the paddles too much, although I am just playing Resident Evil 2 atm, nothing competitive.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for any game that requires holding A to run I use them. So a lot of games.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely use them. My setup is this:

- One paddle on each side
- Left Paddle in the higher slot because of higher analog placement
- Right paddle in the lower slot because of lower analog placement
- Right paddle always mapped to jump
- Left paddle for evasive movement option (Dodge roll, Spartan thrusters)

Once you have jump mapped to right squeeze, you can't go back. It took all of two weeks to fully adjust, just like switching to stick for fighting games. Rip off that band-aid and make the switch, people; you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

I used the two smaller paddles, upside down for A and B, I had gotten really used to it for Halo 5 jumping and dashing.

Case in point

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Wow I forgot about this...I need to invest in this controller or the Wolverine...I'll just lurk in this thread a bit longer 😂

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did when I had one, mostly with Halo 5 and Overwatch. In Halo 5 I had thrust, crouch, and swap weapons on paddles, and I don't remember my OW configurations except that I tried to go hard on Battle Mercy for a while and put swap weapons on one of the paddles to make it more viable lol

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
All the time. It's the main reason I own one. I honestly hate using controllers without them nowadays unless it's a game that doesn't really use the right stick.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yes of course, I didn't buy a $150 paper weight lol

Top bumpers are usually left and right click
Bottom left is game dependent but often a health mechanic, and bottom right is usually the A button.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Currently using just one, to ping things in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Amazing how much less-annoying it is with this setup!

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
2 bottom paddles on everything that isn't a 2d platformer. I love them even though it took me a while to get used to them. Almost always use the bottom left paddle for whatever run is, much better than pushing down the thumbstick.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Once you learn using paddles it's impossible to go back. The amount of freedom it gives while aiming is insane. Using all 4 though is very difficult to get used to.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
yup.
one is mapped to A the other to B.
only time i need to move my thumb from the right stick is if i need to press x or y.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
Yes, but I only use the bottom 2 as well. For games that don't need the paddles (like any Halo on MCC while using the bumper jumper control scheme) I'll take them out. For competitive games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, Halo 5, etc. where a bumper jumper type scheme isn't available or doesn't work I'll use the paddles and typically map jump and sprint/melee to the paddles so I can still look around while doing those actions. It depends where those actions are normally mapped, if sprint/jump/melee is mapped to a face button then I'll use the paddle, but if it is on a stick or shoulder button I usually won't remap it.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I tried to play that way, but it was too intense for me. I took it down to just two paddles at first... got used to it, but then realized it wasn't benefitting me in a lot of games... so I use it from time to time now.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
I normally leave them off, but on the rare occasion I play a game where they seem useful, I'll place them back in. I just use them for the face buttons though. I don't think I've used a controller on anything where L3/R3 would be useful since I got it.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I use two when playing FPS games. Left for melee and right for jump usually. Lets me keep my thumbs on the sticks.

I tried using them in other games, but games that require pressing them a lot where giving me wrist pain. Like playing Hades and using the right one as dash. With mashing that and the attack button to do dash attacks for a couple hours I had some tendonitis like pain from my wrist to elbow. So after that I'll leave them for things like the FPS games where they're not being mashed.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
All four paddles.

I took Elite just because of Halo at the beginning, but then I started using it in every FPS. It was a pain in the ass to get used to it, but after 6 months or so, I finally managed to make a deal with my brain how my fingers should behave.

Bottom left paddle - A
Bottom right paddle - B
Upper Left - Right stick click (running)
Upper Right - Melee (in most shooters or aiming)

That is almost for all popular shooters, but for Gears of War, I got other configuration. Upper paddles are for changing weapons.

Now, I would never jump on something other than just elite. My launch Elite still rocking, after... I don't know how much time has passed honestly. I bought the second one (second hand) for 40 euros a year ago, using it on PS4 with Brook Adapter, of course, for shooters only.

It's funny that I started with two in Halo, it was too complex for me to think and use all four from once. Now it becomes, well I can't imagine playing games without paddles. Of course, I am not using it in simple games such as platformers or driving games for example.

I don't have any pains in the fingers, even from long sessions, it's just so natural for me.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
With the present controller designs your using four fingers out of the ten.
the elite improves on this but the comfort factor isn't outstanding.
Surely we can do better.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I have A, Y, LB, and RB bound. Makes a great deal of difference in FPS games, I've found. I love them, and would love for them to be included next-gen for all consoles (but only if they give them a bit more resistance, and obviously optional for those who don't want them).