• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
A few years ago I said I'd buy an xbone for pso2 if they ever released it. Turns out I bought one anyways so I don't need one now, but if I didn't I totally would in a heartbeat.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never expected this (and amazed it didn't leak).

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
So ready for this. A bunch of people from my FFXIV guild has reinstalled the JP version out of hype until Shadowbringers releases in 2 and a half weeks, and then we're all going in hard on PSO2 once english version is out. Gonna be sad to abandon my account with like 600-700 hours but at the same time it's gonna be so refreshing to have a fresh start with leveling areas populated again, and people to actually play with.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Presumably EU PC players at least could just pop on to a US VPN, download the game and go from there?

I didn't even need a VPN to play on the japanese servers from EU altough i heard some NA players needed it but it was a routing issue and not a ip ban. But yes if they really bother to ip block us that should work.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am hyped :)

Does it have mags?

It does. Photon blasts and all. Mine's a turtle.

Honu-Honu-Mag.png

Oct 25, 2017
From the trailer it looks like the western version will include all the recent content from Ep 4 onwards.
That kind of sucks because I was hoping to be able to experience Ep 1 ~ 3 in their original form again (seeing as the content was taken down in JP servers last year and condensed into Omnibus quests)

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
For me this was the megaton in Microsoft's conference, though I feel bitter that it's exclusive to Xbox. Here's hoping it's just a timed exclusive, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit: yes, it's also coming to PC but I don't use it for games. I prefer to play on consoles.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For me this was the megaton in Microsoft's conference, though I feel bitter that it's exclusive to Xbox. Here's hoping it's just a timed exclusive, but doesn't seem to be the case.
This pos ran on my i3 Thinkpad laptop back in 2013. You could probably run it off a USB stick in a school or library computer.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping it was the next PSO or something crazy. PSO2 is absolutely ancient at this point. I don't think I could muster up interest for it anymore.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Being uncertain about a release in my country suddenly put hard brakes on my hype train... :(

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cool. I've already rinsed the JP PS4 version and still hop on once in a while.

I was hoping we'd get a new PSO/PS game from Sega or even a remake of PSO1 but I guess they'll be focusing on 2 still

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've basically funded this version of the game. It would not exist without this funding. Phil is cool and all but offering to fund Nintendo and PS4 as well it's a step to far.

Sony basically funded the exclusive gear and strikes in Destiny. It would not exist without this funding. Kaz is cool and all, but offering to fund Xbox and PC as well is a step too far.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Anyone know wht they are bringing Phantasy Star Online 2 only ? What about 1 ? I never played PSO2, I always played PS01 only on GC. Happy to discover 2, but why 1 is forgotten ?

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
The first one was my favorite game to the OG Xbox. Will definitely check this out. How is it compared to the first one and PS Universe?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It could very much come to other platforms just like any third party title, but at least initially it would be on PC/Xbox.

Europe possibly missing out sucks though.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So this is coming to Sony's box at some point, or what? Not port begging, as I'll buy an X1X if it's full exclusive. I bought a goddamn Vita for this game like half a decade ago and that turned out to be money pissed into the wind.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The first one was my favorite game to the OG Xbox. Will definitely check this out. How is it compared to the first one and PS Universe?
The gameplay/battle system is alot better and it's quite fun, boss fights is where PSO2 really shines, in my opinion.

The way quests are structured (the regular quests that is) is far worse though:
- PSO1 and PSU quests had static maps and enemy spawns with a few variations to each map in a quest (the variation is picked randomly), they have a beginning and an end, there's a sense of progression through an area.
- PSO2's regular quests are based on randomly generated map tiles with randomly generated enemy spawns, in the end game the quests are designed for groups of 12 players to run in circles around the map farming (which gets boring very fast)...
Emergency quests can be pretty fun though (emergency quests are quests that are available for a limited time, usually 30 minutes, they can either happen randomly at the start of a hour or they can be set in a schedule that gets changed every week), emergency quests include large boss fights, and in some cases unique quests that are unlike the rest of the game.

And possibly the biggest problem with PSO2 for new players, the early game is a complete mess at the moment in the JP version. The early parts of the game are currently designed to rush the player to the end game, leveling up is very fast until lvl 75 or so (current max lvl being 90), enemies are fragile (enemies HP increases alot starting at lvl 75 or so) and there's even campaigns and tickets that are given as rewards that give access to special quests that makes leveling up go even faster...
In the JP version, I feel that a new player can pretty much reach the end game without having time to really learn the game's mechanics.

While I really doubt it'll happen, there's still a chance the english version could get changes to the poor early game progression though...

Last edited:

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
It's far better than PS Universe, that I guarantee (and I liked Universe). Gameplay wise, it feels quite far removed from PSO. At times it feels a bit like an MMO Devil May Cry, almost.
The gameplay/battle system is alot better and it's quite fun, boss fights is where PSO2 really shines, in my opinion.

The way quests are structured (the regular quests that is) is far worse though:
- PSO1 and PSU quests had static maps and enemy spawns with a few variations to each map in a quest (the variation is picked randomly), they have a beginning and an end, there's a sense of progression through an area.
- PSO2's regular quests are based on randomly generated map tiles with randomly generated enemy spawns, in the end game the quests are designed for groups of 12 players to run in circles around the map farming (which gets boring very fast)...
Emergency quests though can be pretty fun though (emergency quests are quests that are available for a limited time, usually 30 minutes, they can either happen randomly at the start of a hour or they can be set in a schedule that gets changed every week), emergency quests include large boss fights, and in some cases unique quests that are unlike the rest of the game.

And possibly the biggest problem with PSO2 for new players, the early game is a complete mess at the moment in the JP version. The early parts of the game are currently designed to rush the player to the end game, leveling up is very fast until lvl 75 or so (current max lvl being 90), enemies are fragile (enemies HP increases alot starting at lvl 75 or so) and there's even campaigns and tickets that are given as rewards that give access to special quests that makes leveling up go even faster...
In the JP version, I feel that a new player can pretty much reach the end game without having time to really learn the game's mechanics.

While I really doubt it'll happen, there's still a chance the english version could get changes to the poor early game progression though...
Appreciate the responses! Sounds like it'll be worth a try, assuming that there are ways to play it in the EU...

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Not sure if I'm willing to start over just to play the game officially in English opposed to unofficially in English

Oh who am I kidding, I'm in for another 1,000 hours

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Maybe

1.They don't want to translate and support it across a bunch of different EMEA languages.
2.They don't want to commit to paying for servers for multiple regions.
3.both
1. they had no problem doing that for pso episode 1,2 and 3 back in the day
2. They use microsoft servers so thats already in place

but we will find out soon enough

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is coming to Sony's box at some point, or what? Not port begging, as I'll buy an X1X if it's full exclusive. I bought a goddamn Vita for this game like half a decade ago and that turned out to be money pissed into the wind.

The language being used with words like "launching" and "debuting" sounds like it may come to other systems at a later date.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I think we have moved on in terms of some of the things and mechanics this game does since it came out in Japan but I'm glad for those who have held strong this whole time. It still is good fun to pop in and play every once and a while for me. Got a lot of stuff to see and do thats for sure.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
The language being used with words like "launching" and "debuting" sounds like it may come to other systems at a later date.
I would like a version on the PS4 but if "SEGAC of America" has thought me anything in the PSO and PSU days is to stick to the PC version because the console versions are the first ones to either lag behind in content first or be the first ones to have their online server shut down years from now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

There's already a PS4 version right now. The fact it's not being localized is pretty shitty.