• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I'm glad it's delayed. Allows me to possibly get an Xbox cheap this Christmas to play it. That and Blue Dragon are the only things I need for Xbox, so hopefully can pick one up for less the $200. Ori is my favorite game

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God this looks insanely gorgeous. Ori was an incredible game, here's hoping the sequel similarly delivers. Shame about it being a 2020 title though, I thought we'd get it this year.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I really loved the first one, I should replay it again soon.

Legit shocked this game is taking so long, but thats fine, better than rushed.

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a shock to see that this will take almost exactly 5 years to release, for a sequel at that, which itself largely seems to be building off the foundations of the first one.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
thomasmahler i know we discussed this a year ago but I hope you will be doing a nice disc version of ori 2

Temp store listings from multiple retailers are being updated with official art found on the Xbox Media assets page. Looks like it's happening.

3max.jpg

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Glad you folks enjoyed it! There was no fakery there, everything was simply recorded straight from our editor :) And yup, the bosses will be nutters ;)

And yeah, sorry about the slight delay, but that gives us a bit more time to polish every nook and cranny - I want Moon to be known as a studio that puts quality above and beyond everything else and sometimes that takes a little more time than planned. We're working super hard to make Will of the Wisps a landmark title and it's really not that long until Feb :)

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you folks enjoyed it! There was no fakery there, everything was simply recorded straight from our editor :) And yup, the bosses will be nutters ;)

And yeah, sorry about the slight delay, but that gives us a bit more time to polish every nook and cranny - I want Moon to be known as a studio that puts quality above and beyond everything else and sometimes that takes a little more time than planned. We're working super hard to make Will of the Wisps a landmark title and it's really not that long until Feb :)

Game looks ace, I assume the boxed copy retail Listings are legit and I can grab a physical?

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Was the best looking game at the presentation. Loved the first game and this looks just about as good as that and don't really mind waiting for it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Take the time you need. Loved the first game and this one looks incredible.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Really excited for this game. Still can't believe Ori wil be teaming up with the owl.

The chase sequences are going to be sooooo good, Holy shit. The chase sequences are some of the best in platforming genre

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Appreciate the hard work - Blind Forest was a delight, and I'm very eager to play this one!

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Really excited for this game. Still can't believe Ori wil be teaming up with the owl.

The chase sequences are going to be sooooo good, Holy shit. The chase sequences are some of the best in platforming genre

We tried to crank all that up to 11 while also addressing the frustration concerns some had with Blind Forest... wait and see :)

The main goal with this trailer was to show that we'll indeed have big boss battles this time around. I think the general consensus out there is that people wanted a deeper and more rewarding combat system from Ori, so our answer was to do just that and to make that all pay off, the bosses had to be unlike anything you've ever seen in a 2d game before. They're ginormous, they can destroy the environments they're in, there's always multiple strategies of how you deal with them and sometimes we even mixed escape sequences directly into the boss battles for good measure. Goal was to, just like with so many other things in WotW, take that whole aspect above and beyond what anyone expected from the Ori sequel :)

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a shock to see that this will take almost exactly 5 years to release, for a sequel at that, which itself largely seems to be building off the foundations of the first one.
Definitive edition came out in 2015, Moon is a small and entirely remote studio, and look at the quality of the assets...

No more shocking than Playdead release gaps. They can take all the time they need.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the the first game so much. I'm a bit torn up inside because I was hoping for the sequel to be out this year. Best of luck Thomas and co.

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Definitive edition came out in 2015, Moon is a small and entirely remote studio, and look at the quality of the assets...

No more shocking than Playdead release gaps. They can take all the time they need.

Actually, the Definitive Edition of Ori BF came out in March 2016, exactly a year after we released Blind Forest. So overall it took us a little less than 4 years to develop Will of the Wisps, which I'm kinda okay with. We did pretty much everything from scratch and developed a proper sequel, instead of just phoning it in. We could've re-used a ton of assets and just changed things up slightly, but we wanted to really take it all to the next level. Try to fire up Blind Forest again and feel free to make direct comparisons, I think we did alright :D Everything had to be way better than what we did in Blind Forest, everything had to feel fresh and new and we didn't want to repeat ourselves in terms of art, ideas, etc.

That's the thing with these Metroidvania games, they're just really goddamn hard to make since everything depends on each other. Change one level here and it might have a dramatic effect on this other thing over there or even the entire flow of the game. Also, in terms of art, we put the bar pretty high up there with Blind Forest and it took us some time to develop all the tech and workflows to show that we can still squeeze much better visuals out of our Moonity engine while also optimizing the hell out of it so that even people with meh laptops can play the game and be amazed by the looks.

So yeah, sorry again for the slight delay, but I'll promise it'll be worth the wait :)

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Trailer was soooooo good, just unreal how alive everything seems in the background, everything moved, it's just fantastic. While I really really wanted to play this this holiday, it is what it is. Take the time and bring on February!

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, the Definitive Edition of Ori BF came out in March 2016, exactly a year after we released Blind Forest. So overall it took us a little less than 4 years to develop Will of the Wisps, which I'm kinda okay with. We did pretty much everything from scratch and developed a proper sequel, instead of just phoning it in. We could've re-used a ton of assets and just changed things up slightly, but we wanted to really take it all to the next level. Try to fire up Blind Forest again and feel free to make direct comparisons, I think we did alright :D Everything had to be way better than what we did in Blind Forest, everything had to feel fresh and new and we didn't want to repeat ourselves in terms of art, ideas, etc.

That's the thing with these Metroidvania games, they're just really goddamn hard to make since everything depends on each other. Change one level here and it might have a dramatic effect on this other thing over there or even the entire flow of the game. Also, in terms of art, we put the bar pretty high up there with Blind Forest and it took us some time to develop all the tech and workflows to show that we can still squeeze much better visuals out of our Moonity engine while also optimizing the hell out of it so that even people with meh laptops can play the game and be amazed by the looks.

So yeah, sorry again for the slight delay, but I'll promise it'll be worth the wait :)

One of my favourite parts of the definitive edition were the behind the scenes section. I'd love a longer and more in-depth walkthrough of the staff and studio, and all the systems and development that helped bring the game to life. Similar to Larian's and Double Fine's videos but I'm guessing this may not be in scope.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, was it really 2016?? Got it!well yes, based on the jump in fidelity and scale I think the time gap is more than reasonable. Can't wait to play!

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
One of my favourite parts of the definitive edition were the behind the scenes section. I'd love a longer and more in-depth walkthrough of the staff and studio, and all the systems and development that helped bring the game to life. Similar to Larian's and Double Fine's videos but I'm guessing this may not be in scope.

We can try, but it's especially difficult for us to do since we're all distributed, so we'd literally have to have someone fly across the world with a camera to shoot all those segments. I wouldn't envy that person :D

Our goal with Moon Studios has always been that we just bring the best talent worldwide together and work through the net and all the timezones together on something. That's one of the things I'm especially proud of, that so many folks from so many different cultures can come together to craft something together in a way that never would've been possible if we had to relocate everybody.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ate the last Ori cookie this morning. That poor owl never stood a chance.

cQDDk3H.png

Did you see the video on the tech behind the first trailer? Gennadiy Korol mentioned he'd liked to do more of those but it would depend on finding the time.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017

That sounds amazing. The Blind Forest was an amazing game. I am looking forward to this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looked incredibly great. I adored Blind Forest and this trailer instantly gave me the feels. Those opening chords of the music...

I listen to the Blind Forest soundtrack all the time when playing other games.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for all your hard work and for producing such amazing products.

Can you tell us what motivated the decision to make the delay even longer for those of us who wish to pay for and own your game?

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Will be realased on GOG and Steam like the first one?

Yes, we're launching WotW day and date on Steam as well! It's so good that I can finally say that :D It's been really hard to not just shout: "YES, DON'T WORRY, WE'LL ALSO RELEASE IT ON STEAM!" every time people complained that it'd only be on the MS Store :D

I'll check back on GoG.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, we're launching WotW day and date on Steam as well! It's so good that I can finally say that :D It's been really hard to not just shout: "YES, DON'T WORRY, WE'LL ALSO RELEASE IT ON STEAM!" every time people complained that it'd only be on the MS Store :D

I'll check back on GoG.

Just a quick question, a lot of the E3 2019 gameplay trailer focused on these big boss battle escape and engagement moments. Are these moments more of a focus in this sequel, or will there still be ample general platforming per se? In the first title the big moments were fairly sparsed out, just wondered if that would still be the case in Wisps.

Grimmer

Apr 3, 2018

I'll check back on GoG.

Awesome! So day one then :D

I've just remember GOG version of The Blind Forest doesn't have achievements, so I'll buy the sequel on Steam to have both of them at the same launcher.

By the way, it is an honor a developer answered mine random question. I'd have never expected this, it's the first time in my life this happen. So I'll take advantage of this and congratulate you and your team for your marvelous work. Everything I was told about beauty was a lie.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks for the clarification. I've also been wondering why the game seems to be taking so long in development all things considered, but this answers that.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm so excited for this game but at the same time i'm happy to wait until February. The first Ori game is right up there with Super Metroid for me in terms of the greatest Metroidvania's ever made. I've got plenty of games to play in the meantime (in the same genre Guacamelee 2 and Hollow Knight just dropped on Game Pass) and i'm glad that it looks like Microsoft is giving them the time they need for it to be polished to the point where Moon Studios are happy to release it into the wild. <insert that famous "A delayed game is eventually good" Miyamoto quote here>

Thanks for the clarification. I've also been wondering why the game seems to be taking so long in development all things considered, but this answers that.

I think something to bear in mind is that Moon Studios isn't some huge Ubisoft style company with hundreds of employees. Making a great game sometimes just takes time and it's easy to forget that or be spoiled by how often certain companies can pump out yearly versions of games i.e. Fifa and Call of Duty.

Look at a game like Inside (one of my favourite games this gen). That is quite a short game in terms of length and it took Playdead 6 years to make. And it is just pure quality from start to finish, refined and polished to within an inch of its life. Had that game come out two years earlier it might have still been amazing but it might also have suffered for it.

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

I'll check back on GoG.
Oh yeah, while you're here, what was that "industry shaking" news you were teasing a while back... something we have to wait until Tuesday for? ;)

Is there a demo available on the show floor? Hoping we get some uncut gameplay this week!

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Thomas, how big is Moon now? I'm guessing at least twice the size of the original team after BF's success?

I can't remember all the names now, but I remember seeing all your talent acquisitions, like the guy who made AM2R, and thinking that you basically had an all star team now.