• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Is it really a true statement to say "no boost mode" when every game is being forced to run in a boosted state?

What they're talking about in terms of letting the game run on the full CPU/GPU at full speed...is exactly what the PS4 Pro boost mode was.

If they're recompiling every game for a XSX environment that would be different. But otherwise I don't see the distinction they're making.

The HDR and select framerate doubling are definitely extras we haven't seen before in BC, the latter in particular should be very sweet.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Is it really a true statement to say "no boost mode" when every game is being forced to run in a boosted state?
Literally always boost mode...

I'll be interesting to see the HDR implementation, lots of TVs and blu-ray players do HDR conversion on SDR and the results are kind of wonky since it can highlight random scenes that don't need it, and put weird highlights on people's faces.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Sound too good to be true. We all know how SDR to HDR feature is on many TVs (not great) and I cannot see them going over thousands of games to apply great HDR levels.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they're really knocking it out of the park with the Series X. every time they share more info the console becomes more enticing to me and I have absolutely no interest in MS's 1st party output, though that could change with all their semi recent acquisitions. I expected MS to bring their A-game this gen and they still managed to exceed expectations. it's really something.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The HDR part specifically speaks about 'all games'.

The pessimist in me suspects that the auto-hdr will be very similar to sdr-to-hdr conversion most televions already can do.

That's not the case. It uses machine learning that was trained on how Gears 5 implemented HDR, and it can then apply it to other games. Check EvilBoris' post here

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I thought boost mode was just a dig at Sonys variable clocks like the downclock statement is.
It is.
They're just saying that the XSX always uses its max power no matter what, implying their competitor isn't doing it (regardless of whether they do it for BC or not).

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I realize that everyone likes the new games coming on all platforms, but man this is just next level awesome for the thousands of games coming over to be played at their best to include even some titles with doubling of frame rates which is just insanely cool!

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
For a while I had been thinking I'd just end up getting a PS5 and playing Xbox games on PC this generation, but this is the kind of thing that makes me really reconsider that. I'll have to see how this plays out in reality and maybe wait for the first console revision but I figure at some point I'm actually gonna have to end up getting a new Xbox.

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
Microsofts dedication to bc is to be commended. And with gamepass being the rock Xbox is now built on its almost a requirement tbh. Gives new people a jumping on point. But with all that said a next gen platform also need to bring next gen experiences.

Oct 25, 2017
Said it before but for all the talk of teraflops and bla bla bla, this right here is where Microsoft/Xbox are seemingly running rings around the competition.

I really hope the SX is a huge success, they deserve it because of things like this and Gamepass.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Literally always boost mode...

I'll be interesting to see the HDR implementation, lots of TVs and blu-ray players do HDR conversion on SDR and the results are kind of wonky since it can highlight random scenes that don't need it, and put weird highlights on people's faces.

Yeah , I would imagine we will have similar things in certain titles, if there is pure white or clipping in the sky (360 era games with tons of bloom are guilty of this) then it can look wonky.

Some titles however can look super good if they were exposed well to begin with. I suspect that the early 360 games that had HDR added were using an early version of this.
Halo 3 and Mirrors edge both massively benefit from it.

I wonder if they will make this a toggle for games or if they have vetted each game.
The chances are they will have a
Few different variants of the AI's output to use, so they may be able to match up less intense versions for games that perhaps did have a lot of white clipping.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I heard in a recent podcast with Phil Spencer that the backwards compatibility team are working in raising the dead next.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsofts dedication to bc is to be commended. And with gamepass being the rock Xbox is now built on its almost a requirement tbh. Gives new people a jumping on point. But with all that said a next gen platform also need to bring next gen experiences.
Thanks for stating the obvious. LOL One doesn't negate the other.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah , I would imagine we will have similar things in certain titles, if there is pure white or clipping in the sky (360 era games with tons of bloom are guilty of this) then it can look wonky.

Some titles however can look super good if they were exposed well to begin with. I suspect that the early 360 games that had HDR added were using an early version of this.
Halo 3 and Mirrors edge both massively benefit from it.

I wonder if they will make this a toggle for games or if they have vetted each game.
The chances are they will have a
Few different variants of the AI's output to use, so they may be able to match up less intense versions for games that perhaps did have a lot of white clipping.
Your analysis/opinion is the one I'm waiting for!
cheers

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty incredible work and I'd love more from the team how they are doing this wizardry?

Can't wait to see the results.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Select games
So expect a small amount at launch and then it will expand.

All games without HDR will have the ability to have HDR added at the launch of the Series X as that is a system level option.

The select games getting updated is for the upped resolution and framerate past what the game originally was.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Trolling. Platform wars. History of similar behavior.
Lol people are gonna get triggered by the "no downclocking, no boosting" marketing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What they're talking about in terms of letting the game run on the full CPU/GPU at full speed...is exactly what the PS4 Pro boost mode was.

If they're recompiling every game for a XSX environment that would be different. But otherwise I don't see the distinction they're making.

The HDR and select framerate doubling are definitely extras we haven't seen before in BC, the latter in particular should be very sweet.

I think they're actually referring to "legacy" mode (not boost) that PS5 is using for PS4 BC, that slows the system down to ensure compatibility. Unless of course a game is BC enhanced for PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds nice but until we actually see this implemented, this is just marketing hype. If this lives up to the promise, awesome, but I'll withhold excitement until then.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
It is.
They're just saying that the XSX always uses its max power no matter what, implying their competitor isn't doing it (regardless of whether they do it for BC or not).

They should know that Cerny has said that PS5 - even though it says variable frequency, they are almost always at full speed as he said at his presentation.

www.eurogamer.net

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

Digital foundry article says Series X runs at 3.6Ghz with 8 cores and SMT, or 3.8Ghz with 8 cores only, and for backwards compatibility the old games don't use SMT so they want to run them all at 3.8Ghz. I don't think they'll be that much difference given the 0.2ghz frequency but it is technically 'maxing' the console out.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I wish they'd confirm that they're resuming adding more games to BC. I mean most likely they are, but confirmation would be nice.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think they're actually referring to "legacy" mode (not boost) that PS5 is using for PS4 BC, that slows the system down to ensure compatibility. Unless of course a game is BC enhanced for PS5.

That would make more sense, but is a bit confusing!

They'd want to be very confident of zero compatibility problems to dispose of some kind of 'legacy mode', even if it's not exposed to the user. No harm to keep it in your back pocket. But I guess the results they've seen so far are encouraging.

Nov 8, 2017
I could live without the little pr swipes, but I strongly approve of the XB team's back compat efforts over the last ~5-6 years and am looking forward to seeing what they can do with even more power. Hoping that there are a fair few games pushed to 60 or beyond (even though I understand the technical limitations means that it's probably only a small fraction that will run without errors there).

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd confirm that they're resuming adding more games to BC. I mean most likely they are, but confirmation would be nice.

I think they've been busy trying to ensure all Xbox One games work on XSX before they start adding more of the 360/Original Xbox games. Perhaps they will go back once the work on Xbox One games is complete, they have hinted at doing that in the past.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd confirm that they're resuming adding more games to BC. I.mean most likely they are, but confirmation would be nice.
It's not confirmation but at the bottom of their article they said,
The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program. Resurrecting titles from history often presents a complex mix of technical and licensing challenges, but the team is committed to doing everything we can to continue to preserve our collective gaming legacy.