• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): console wars, history of repeated behaviour
Whats better, being able to play Crackdown for free or playing the best games and paying for them not only what they're worth but what they're deserved?

You get what you pay for, so for me there's no competition. Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3...no wonder they give them away for free :P

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
game pass is such good value. I dip in and out all the time playing games I would've never bought.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like Microsoft plans on allowing access to the XBox platform without requiring the hardware, so that's going to complicate the value proposition of the console itself.
The value will be the platform...the console is just an entry point. Console sales won't matter AS MUCH (keyword for those who like to jump on shit) as MS getting users to use their platform and buy stuff from on it.

Nov 9, 2017
And none of the worthwhile exclusives.

Game Pass seems like an amazing service, but it doesn't offer hardly any of the games that I REALLY care to play.

This unfortunately true for me. I already have close to 100 games in my backlog. Hardly any of the games in Game Pass are games I would actually spend time to play. Maybe next-gen there can be some good exclusives I will be interested in. As for now all I really need is PS4/PC.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I have a Pro and a Switch but I really think I will buy an X next month. Game Pass seems absurd

Feb 10, 2018
Whats better, being able to play Crackdown for free or playing the best games and paying for them not only what they're worth but what they're deserved?

You get what you pay for, so for me there's no competition. Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3...no wonder they give them away for free :P

It's funny, I've put more hours into sea of Thieves then god of war and spiderman combined. Not saying sea of Thieves is better, but it does put things into prospective.

Also why you not mention forza 4 and ori?

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018

Forza Horizon 4 and Ori are amazing.

And despite what a lot say, Halo and Gears are quality titles (unless scoring in the mid-80s is not considered good). They just need more games and diversity, but I feel it's coming.

Edit: Whatever, you just came back a from ban for console warring in multiple threads. You have the last word.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OK, show me your PC build that can do 4K gaming even if it's 30fps for $450.
I show you after you show us a console for $450 that have the same gaming library than PC including emulation + options to use almost all controllers+ mods+ 240fps+any resolution up to 8k to choose (including 32:9 resolutions). ;)

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

That's not the platform I jumped from Super Metroid to Metroid Fusion to Command and Conquer to Cuphead to Deadly Premonition to Metal Gear Solid 3 to Resident Evil 2 REmake in the span of five minutes.

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
As someone who only dabbles in non portable gaming, I agree
I don't own the xbox, but I keep a sub for gamepass active on it
I also use bc a lot
If I suddenly loss access to the xbox, I'd go out and get my own

Oct 27, 2017
I own a capable PC, a PS4 Pro and a Xbox One X, and i must admit that i mostly play on the Xbox One X. I am tired of PC gaming (i have a 1080Ti, but it´s the drivers, the configurations, yada yada… i really only want to power on the gaming machine and play on my limited gaming time)

I dont play multiplayer, so i only play single player games and i must say i am ver, very pleasant surprised with the recente decisions on the Xbox side. I have already finished all PS4 exclusives, so i only turn on the console when others exclusives get released (Days Gone, i will be there day one)

- On the hardware side, the console is silent whisper (my PS4 Pro is a plain taking a take-off).
- The X plays better the multiplats compared to PS4 Pro. Example RDR2. Also, I will play Metro Exodus in 4K native + HDR + Dolby Atmos
- Gamepass has a ton of value and is getting better by the day (just knowing that i will have Ori and The Will of Wisps and Gears of War 5, on Gamepass on releasing is making me smile)
- Has weekly discounts (Deals with Gold)
- It´s more easy to share na xbox account with a friend. One account only, a lot of cheaper stores (Brazil, Singapure, etc..) without the "primary" + "secondary" accounts.
- Gamepass can be shared between the 2 of us (we pay 50% each)
- Has regular events that gather the players (Inside xbox)
- The future is aparently Bright with studio aquisitionsand the new generation day one releasing 2 consoles "Anaconda" + "Lockheart" + xcloud (more expensive option, more cheaper, …).

So, to ME (my tastes, my perception of the brand, etc...) Xbox in the present day offers more value in gaming

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Look, consumers are not stupid. If it was a better value proposition, i would sell better. But it doesn't

So for most people is of better value to pay a bit more, but play Sony's games.That's why PS4 is such a beast.

PS: Let's not forget also about Fortnite, which is behind a Paywall on the Xbox

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
No japanese games, no high bugdet well developed exclusives is a no-no to me.
So, no, it doesn't have the best value in gaming to a lot of people actually, the selling ratio of 2:1 PS4 vs Xbox One is the proof of that.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I own a capable PC, a PS4 Pro and a Xbox One X, and i must admit that i mostly play on the Xbox One X. I am tired of PC gaming (i have a 1080Ti, but it´s the drivers, the configurations, yada yada… i really only want to power on the gaming machine and play on my limited gaming time)

I dont play multiplayer, so i only play single player games and i must say i am ver, very pleasant surprised with the recente decisions on the Xbox side. I have already finished all PS4 exclusives, so i only turn on the console when others exclusives get released (Days Gone, i will be there day one)

- On the hardware side, the console is silent whisper (my PS4 Pro is a plain taking a take-off).
- The X plays better the multiplats compared to PS4 Pro. Example RDR2. Also, I will play Metro Exodus in 4K native + HDR + Dolby Atmos
- Gamepass has a ton of value and is getting better by the day (just knowing that i will have Ori and The Will of Wisps and Gears of War 5, on Gamepass on releasing is making me smile)
- Has weekly discounts (Deals with Gold)
- It´s more easy to share na account with a friend. One account only, a lot of cheaper stores (Brazil, Singapure, etc..) without the "primary" + "secondary" accounts
- Has regular events that gather the players (Inside xbox)
- The future is aparently Bright with studio aquisitionsand the new generation day one releasing 2 consoles "Anaconda" + "Lockheart" + xcloud (more expensive option, more cheaper, …).

So, to ME (my tastes, my perception of the brand, etc...) Xbox in the present day offers more value in gaming
You have a 1080Ti and don't even know that Geforce Experience auto updates your drivers and the games configurations??? ;)

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Look, consumers are not stupid. If it was a better value proposition, i would sell better. But it doesn't

So for most people is of better value to pay a bit more, but play Sony's games.That's why PS4 is such a beast.

PS: Let's not forget also about Fortnite, which is behind a Paywall on the Xbox

Meaningless is terms of what the OP said. This isn't a sales thread, so don't turn it into a console warrior thread. We have enough of those.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Classy.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah probably. But I have limited to play games so I only go for the top experiences I'm interested in so I end up playing big titles like God of War and Smash. I did pick up GeoW 4 for PC for $8 and it's been a pleasant surprise. No need for game pass for me unless maybe I stop working for like half a year, which won't happen.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 and Ori are amazing.

And despite what a lot say, Halo and Gears are quality titles (unless scoring in the mid-80s is not considered good). They just need more games and diversity, but I feel it's coming.

Edit: Whatever, you just came back a from ban for console warring in multiple threads. You have the last word.

Yes, my first ban in 3500 posts for warring (and second overall, first was warranted) and it was for saying that the bar for CD3 was low.(with a ":P" at the end to indicate banter)

I think the mods were a bit strict if you ask me but whatever, what can you do? Mb I was out of line

What I can't do is stop.posting my opinion out of fear of being banned again when it didn't happen in 3500 posts.

Specially regarding this, because the numbers back me...people think the PS4 is of better value, that's why they buy it.

Not a controversial one

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know you only came in to represent yourself as a brave console warrior, but not only those games aren't trash, there's also about 200 other games on it, including but not limited to the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy, the entire Gears Of War franchise, all major Halo games in some form, Forza Horizon 4, Mortal Kombat X, Shadow Of Mordor, Just Cause 3, ARK, Rocket League, PUBG, all Life Is Strange games, DOOM, Hellblade, Sniper Elite 4, Payday 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Strange Brigade, Outlast, Ashen, Cities Skylines, RiME, Layers Of Fear, Human Fall Flat, Vermintide 2, Zombie Army Trilogy, The LEGO Movie Videogame. I could continue without even having to look up the whole list.

But yeah, all these games are trash, that's why they're giving them away for free, right?

EDIT: Nevermind, he's banned.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
In game FOR SURE they don't. For services and features maybe if you like what they offer.

But in games department that can only be a joke. Look to their first party portfolio.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technically Mario and Zelda are Japanese games. If it makes you feel better to try and minimize them go ahead though it doesn't change the fact I prefer them and stuff like Octopath, Fire Emblem and Shin Megami/Persona over the usual Halo/gears of war/shooter stuff.

Awesome, that's the beauty of choice.

This is silly, both would reduce in value drastically. And PC entirely depends on things like how well the user built the PC, the presentation, which parts they chose as some hold up stronger over time etc...

The fact is PC is cheaper over time.

1. You can buy a PC for far cheaper than a console and it will have a much larger back catalogue.*
2. You don't need to pay to play online on PC.
3. PC games are so much cheaper overall.

= No contest at all.

*Even if you spend more to get an on par or greater than console experience, points 2 & 3 will calculate in favour of PC

Not if we're talking about monetary value, not perceived value.

Monetary value has a clear winner.

For you . How many times do you need to repeat it?

I show you after you show us a console for $450 that have the same gaming library than PC including emulation + options to use almost all controllers+ mods+ 240fps+any resolution up to 8k to choose (including 32:9 resolutions). ;)

Where did I ever argue about choices? Some of you sure seem hell bent on not giving props to the Xbox One and the value it offers.

Yes, my first ban in 3500 posts for warring (and second overall, first was warranted) and it was for saying that the bar for CD3 was low.(with a ":P" at the end to indicate banter)

I think the mods were a bit strict if you ask me but whatever, what can you do? Mb I was out of line

What I can't do is stop.posting my opinion out of fear of being banned again when it didn't happen in 3500 posts.

Specially regarding this, because the numbers back me...people think the PS4 is of better value, that's why they buy it.

Not a controversial one

Childish remarks suggesting that is why they are giving the games for free is better served on N4G, they will gladly approve your account there.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Meaningless is terms of what the OP said. This isn't a sales thread, so don't turn it into a console warrior thread. We have enough of those.
Well if says is the best, why people don't buy the console? the whole world is stupid?

Of course sales is related when you say something is the best.

And he is talking in games department what doesn't make any sense.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you only came in to represent yourself as a brave console warrior, but not only those games aren't trash, there's also about 200 other games on it, including but not limited to the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy, the entire Gears Of War franchise, all major Halo games in some form, Forza Horizon 4, Mortal Kombat X, Shadow Of Mordor, Just Cause 3, ARK, Rocket League, PUBG, all Life Is Strange games, DOOM, Hellblade, Sniper Elite 4, Payday 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Strange Brigade, Outlast, Ashen, Cities Skylines, RiME, Layers Of Fear, Human Fall Flat, Vermintide 2, Zombie Army Trilogy, The LEGO Movie Videogame. I could continue without even having to look up the whole list.
What's great on PC is I can play all of these and Super Mario Brothers 3, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, all the Donkey Kongs, Civilazation, the entire XCOM franchise, etc etc

PC will always and forever be the best circus of value.

How'd you play Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and MGS3 on PC? Legitimately, I mean. Assuming you mean PC?
I own physical copies of all of these games. You dump carts from GBA cartridges, use my Wii account on Dolphin to access purchased titles, and converted PS2 discs to ISOs. Viola! Digital versions of my physical games.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's great on PC is I can play all of these and Super Mario Brothers 3, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, all the Donkey Kongs, Civilazation, the entire XCOM franchise, etc etc

PC will always and forever be the best circus of value.

Through emulation, which is a gray area that, by the way, can be done on consoles too. Pretty sure OP didn't consider piracy and emulation when making the thread, otherwise an even cheaper option for gaming would probably be breaking into a shop and pick up a high-end computer or console without paying then modding the shit out of it :P

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I know what is and I can't see 95% of what I have played this gen there.
I counted only 2 games with MC 85+ there FH4 and Ori.
Only game I played there: Fallout 4, FH4, Gears 4 and Ori.

Cool. So you know it's not just first party games. From your post it didn't seem like it. Glad you cleared that up.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well if says is the best, why people don't buy the console? the whole world is stupid?

Of course sales is related when you say something is the best.

And he is talking in games department what doesn't make any sense.

So Xbox has zero sales and people just like the idea of this vaperware. Gotcha!

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Through emulation, which is a gray area that, by the way, can be done on consoles too. Pretty sure OP didn't consider piracy and emulation when making the thread, otherwise an even cheaper option for gaming would probably be breaking into a shop and pick up a high-end computer or console without paying then modding the shit out of it :P
It's not piracy or rocket science, it's a twenty minute Google session to understand how to transfer data.

Paying money for inferior Wii and WiiU ports though- that will hurt someone sometimes, sure.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't argue with this when it comes to money spent. I stuck with Xbox this gen because of Bing rewards at first. Being able to get currency and Xbox Live subs for free just made it too tempting. Game Pass just makes that deal even sweeter! I actually bought my Xbox One X because I was saving so much money on games.

That said, I subscribe to the idea that value is subjective and feel that OP doesn't. As such, people are going to take issue here because PS4 or Switch might be the best "value" based on other metrics to them.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has owned all the consoles I have to agree.

Over the last ~3 years that I've owned an Xbox One I've been extremely happy. I ended up getting rid of my PS4 and now I'm pretty content with a Xbox One + Nintendo Switch. GamePass, Xbox Live Gold and Games with Gold is all fantastic value. I was waiting for Shadow of the Tomb Raider to hit GamePass, so now I can play through the entire trilogy.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I don't get this idea of whoever offers 1000+ games online is the better box, (especially when all of them do it MS just has the prettiest package) I don't have zillions of hours to play games anymore, I'm not in school or rich. Smash brothers alone is a reason to own a Switch. Until Xbox has titles like that and a bunch of must-play experiences, I'm always going to question threads like these.

Plus, There's crazy value on getting a PS4 for cheap now and all these amazing titles for $15 and $20 dollars exclusives and otherwise. And PSnow (while not as good as day and date gsmepass AAA games) is an easy way to just play a ton of PS4 games in a month or two.

Splitting hairs OP IMHO.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
So Xbox has zero sales and people just like the idea of this vaperware. Gotcha!
No one said it has zero sales. But when you sold 6 million in one year and the other console sold 18 million this say a lot.

When your worldwide sales are down yoy this says a lot about your model.

I'm not even talking about since 2013, just last year. and this year will be worse.

The guy is talking about THE BEST CONSOLE so of course sales are related.