• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Hey all. I got a new Series X Controller for my PC. I use bluetooth, but it keeps randomly disconnecting. Sometimes it stays connected but the inputs I put in will be heavily delayed (pressing a button and the action happens a second later).

I tried updating the controller with the Xbox Accessories app on Windows. I am near my PC. I was thinking maybe there was interference, since my desk;s legs are metal? I am unsure, but I am less than a foot and a half from my pc and it does this.

When I play wired, it works completely fine.

Anyone else encounter this and know how to fix it?

Thanks.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I had the same issue. I ended up having to use the wireless controller adapter to get a reliable connection. I think it's a known issue people have with direct Bluetooth connection.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is pretty common with Bluetooth and Xbox controllers. It happened to me too and I just gave up and use mine wired.
I think you have to buy the Xbox wireless adapter if you want to reliably play wirelessly.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
this has to be something with the new series controllers, because my xb1x controller doesn't have this issue

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
just get the official dongle. everyone experience with bluetooth for xbox controllers is different. i dont have an issue but i sit right next to my computer and dont have a ton of devices that would cause interference.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Don't use bluetooth if at all possible. Always have had an inconsistent bluetooth experience across many machines with many xbox one/series controllers. Its disappointing how not great it is but idk if bluetooth was ever meant for very low latency stuff anyway.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Make sure any wireless receivers you have are at the front of your PC tower, not the back. Direct LOS is very important for connection quality, and your metal computer tower with a lot of electrical noise is not easy to punch through.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
This reminds me My friend's cousin just ordered an Xbox controller and plans to use Bluetooth feature. I told him to get the adapter and he said no. In a couple days he's going to complain and I don't know if I want to be real petty and tell him, I told you so.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all. I got a new Series X Controller for my PC. I use bluetooth, but it keeps randomly disconnecting. Sometimes it stays connected but the inputs I put in will be heavily delayed (pressing a button and the action happens a second later).

I tried updating the controller with the Xbox Accessories app on Windows. I am near my PC. I was thinking maybe there was interference, since my desk;s legs are metal? I am unsure, but I am less than a foot and a half from my pc and it does this.

Thanks.
I had this same problem, the fix is to buy that $25 controller adapter. It's kind of annoying because I wasn't expecting to pay another $50 to have my controller "complete" for using on PC. I say $50 because I also bought the rechargeable USB C battery for $25.

I was using the DualSense PS5 controller without any issues on games by using Steam or DS4Windows, I decided to get an Xbox controller for instant compatibility, especially with GamePass. Everything works now, but can't believe I had to buy those things separately.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine this works for Windows 11 as well? Is it better than bluetooth?
I have one of the older models of the Xbox wireless adapter and it works flawlessly on W11 (at least thus far).

And yeah, it's MUCH better than BT. I've never had any problems using my Xbox One and Series X/S controllers with it.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks all, I ordered the adaptor and will pick it up tomorrow. If it doesn't solve my issue, I can just return it and stay wired.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I was never even able to get my PC to discover the Series S controller I wanted to use. Trying to play Soul Calibur 6 on a keyboard is going to suck.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's not the same issue, but if your Xbox 360 controller is disconnecting randomly, buy some new battery containers. Even 3rd party ones have a tighter fit than a worn out will have. The contact triggers get worn down so a slight jiggle disconnects power.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Xbox One dongle work as well? I'm having the same problem and I believe I should have the old dongle somewhere but I'd like to ask before I search for it.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I have a cheap bluetooth 5.0 adapter and never had any issue or disconections. Good input latency, vibration, everything works as expected. I think I got lucky with this adapter going by these comments.

Series Controller is on the firmware it comes with.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I have one of the older models of the Xbox wireless adapter and it works flawlessly on W11 (at least thus far).

And yeah, it's MUCH better than BT. I've never had any problems using my Xbox One and Series X/S controllers with it.

Truth.

Bluetooth only on platforms that require it like iOS. I've been using the same gen 1 adapter for years. Still works perfectly. Not one issue since I got it.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
While the official dongle is indeed the best connection you can get, my PC did not have a built in bluetooth so I needed to use an adapter. I had the same issues you are describing while using the controller doing this.

However, my problem was having too much interference from too many dongles and stuff plugged into the back of my PC. I actually bought a simple USB extender wire that the BT dongle would insert into, and that way I had the actually BT adapter about 5 feet away from my PC and it worked like a charm after that, no issues.

Also, if the controller's batteries are running low it also messes with bluetooth.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I had a lot of trouble for about two months with my controller. It would randomly disconnect for a few seconds and come back on. I kept Event Viewer open to see if anything was conflicting and couldn't find anything. I finally opened the Devices and Printers menu to see what would happen when it did and finally found that when it was disconnecting, the Realtek microphone would connect and disconnect. I don't even have a microphone; it was some kind of built in microphone with my integrated audio card. I uninstalled the microphone and haven't had any trouble since.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, not to derail my own thread, but I have another question (and thanks so much to everyone who responded and suggested the xbox pc dongle)!

I have a 75hz monitor. On Forza Horizon 5/Halo Infinite I only have an option for 75fps or 37, but no option for 60fps. Along with that, on my refresh rate settings, I can only select 75hz, with no option for 60hz? I was just curious why this is, and was wondering if I am missing something/why I can't set a framerate limit to 60fps?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is because Bluetooth on Xbox controllers on PC just flat out doesn't work. I struggled with this for a little while and then purchased the USB wireless adapter. Never looked back.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Oh, not to derail my own thread, but I have another question (and thanks so much to everyone who responded and suggested the xbox pc dongle)!

I have a 75hz monitor. On Forza Horizon 5/Halo Infinite I only have an option for 75fps or 37, but no option for 60fps. Along with that, on my refresh rate settings, I can only select 75hz, with no option for 60hz? I was just curious why this is, and was wondering if I am missing something/why I can't set a framerate limit to 60fps?
It's giving you framerates divisible by your desktop refresh rate. 60 does not fit into 75 (neither does 37 technically, but half of 75 is 37.5 and thus it's lopping off the remainder). Any such non-divisible framerate would cause unstable frame pacing, which would look choppy.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks.
same here. never solved it, bought a cable. sucks.

SlyShinobi

Dec 3, 2018
What keeps going to sleep? The controller? The adapter? Er, your computer?

I haven't really run into an issue where my controller goes to sleep when it's connected to the adapter. Are you certain it's not still using Bluetooth?
Well, the adapter does. I have to unplug it and plug it back in every now and then. I thought it was a problem with power saver settings, so I messed around with that for a bit. If it is those settings, I couldn't figure it out.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Here's my recent tussle with this. I can update to say that the firmware update did fix my Bluetooth, and yes, this only affected Xbox controllers.

www.resetera.com

Do Xbox Series controllers need the Wireless Adapter on PC for a stable connection?

I've been using DualSense and Switch Pro controllers on PC and they connect via BT flawlessly, never dropping unless the battery dies. I tried an XBO controller years back, had intermittent drops, and was told to get the adapter (DS4 worked fine). I REFUSED. If Sony and Nintendo can do it, why...

Bright-Light

Oct 29, 2017
Well, the adapter does. I have to unplug it and plug it back in every now and then. I thought it was a problem with power saver settings, so I messed around with that for a bit. If it is those settings, I couldn't figure it out.

I have the same issue with the adapter. I don't have to unplug mine, it just cuts off, then I have to wait for about 10 seconds for the light to come back on the adapter and I can play again. Not great fun in multiplayer games where I just stand still for a bit.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I have the old, bigger adaptor, does it still work with the new Series and Elite controllers?

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I think I remember fixing it by messing with usb power settings. Something with the port stops sending signal through to save power.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I had lots of BT issues with my motherboard until I realized that the included WiFi antenna also works for BT. With antenna the connection has been great.

Erdnuckel01

Oct 29, 2017

I have the same issue with the adapter. I don't have to unplug mine, it just cuts off, then I have to wait for about 10 seconds for the light to come back on the adapter and I can play again. Not great fun in multiplayer games where I just stand still for a bit.
Are you using the front USB ports or the ones on the back of the mainboard? I used to have issues wirh USB devices when they were connected to the front, switching to the ports on the mainboard solved my problems. Maybe it could work for you too.