• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Haptic feedback in the Dualsense still isn't being used to the fullest extent, even in games like Forbidden West that just came out.

Astro's Playroom shows what can be done with the controller, and when used properly, it's amazing. For example, in Astro's Playroom, you can feel a gentle "tap" for each footstep Astro takes, and that feeling changes when you walk through tall grass, dirt, water, etc. You can close your eyes and know when you're moving forward, how fast your moving, and what surface you're walking on.....all through the haptic feedback.

None of this is even present in a high budget first party game like Forbidden West. You in fact feel zero haptic feedback when walking and running with Alloy. The resistance triggers feel nice when aiming with the bow, but so much more could be done to properly utilize the Dualsense's haptic motors.

Meh. I have a PS5 and Astro. It's neat, but the fact that the controller wants to touch me back doesn't really change much for me. It's just kinda...neat, but inconsequential.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I find it neat on my PS5 but it's so down the list of what matters to me that I don't really care. It only ever matters to me in racing games, which Xbox rumble does very well anyway, and even then I prefer to play those on my wheel.

So, sure, nothing against getting better haptics on Xbox, but not really bothered either way.

I did feel similar to what you're describing when transitioning from X360 to X1, because I find trigger rumble indispensible in racing games now, so it's hard going back. So I kinda get it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I play Switch games w/ Hori split pads that have no rumble, and many of those games still end up ranking up there on my GOTY lists year over year. Has nothing to do with how a controller shakes. It's a nice feature, and the DualSense haptics are impressive when done well, but it's not something I prioritize as part of the overall experience. Battery life on the DualSense is easily its most disappointing quality, and when haptics are prevalent, I find myself having to charge it every day, sometimes more on weekends.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I like the more defined rumble the dual sense is offering and would love for Xbox to adopt a similar system, though what I absolutely hate is how they misappropriated the word "haptics" for it.

Counter to popular belief I AM fun at parties actually...

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
If you ask me, the Xbox controller rumble effects can be great if devs are willing to put some effort in. Yesterday I was playing the first Project Cars on my Series X. I was surprised how genuinely great it felt. I don't have a PS5 but this came close to how I imagine the PS5 controller haptics are. I get the impression a lot of devs seem to copy paste generic rumble settings, or don't properly explore the possibilities.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
After motion control and MORE IMPORTANTLY rechargeable battery,
No. I know I can't rely on these companies to put decent quality lithium rechargeable batteries in these devices. Would rather take this out of their hands and be able to replace the batteries myself.

The DS4 is annoying in this regard. I use it for PC games and while it's great from a latency point of view, the built in battery sucks.

I like what they did with the 8bitdo Pro Controller 2. It gives you the option to use a replaceable battery pack that comes with the controller, or you can just take it out and use batteries instead. I've never even used the battery pack with the controller. I immediately started using rechargeable AA's when I got it.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I never have a comfort problem with either the Xbox or dualsense, but the difference in quality this gen is huge. To go from loud clicky, plastic cheap feel of the XS controller to the Dualsense just shows how good the DS is in comparison.

And that's before we take in to account the button register problem on the xs controller to contend with. My THIRD controller is now fucking up. So yeah, I'm really hoping they're doing something about their quality issues as well as adding haptics.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah nah, just remove haptics and rumble completely please. My hands and wrists get sore enough playing these days. Force feedback stuff just makes it worse. Keep that shit out of repetitive motion scenarios.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The elite is better, but the series X controller feels like a cheap toy compared to the PS5 DS. Is there an SX elite coming out?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
the idea is not to pay for MORE stuff after buying a console in a place of the world where they are already overpriced
Seems more like an e-waste potential to me. People should only buy the batteries and cables they need, rather than just adding more to the pile. For example, some people like myself already have perfectly good eneloops. Coming with the battery pack would be entirely redundant to me.

but this link reminds me ... does the 360 play and charge work with the series controller ?
Nah. Entirely different form factor, and I believe the electronics are different as well. Only the One & Series are cross compatible.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. I know its a me problem, but I barely feel haptics on my hands. I want a nice, big rumble. Don't take it away from me.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
People calling for a rechargable battery are fucking loony. Buy rechargable AAs for crying out loud.
Even more with how terrible the rechargable battery in the PS5 controller is I dont need another controller that constant needs charging and sometimes dont even manage a full night of gaming. And i cant do anything about it. It sucks.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I'm almost certainly getting a DualSense for my PC the next time I need a controller despite the compatibility issues. I just won't buy a controller without gyro at this point, and the haptics seem good too.

Oct 27, 2017
I've owned my SX for over 100 days now. Not once it that time did I have to reposition my thumbs on the analogues, like I've often had to with the DualSense and DualShock 4. But yes. The rumble is very bad indeed. So bad, in fact, that I've turned it completely off for the past few weeks, and I don't miss it one bit. (Going back to DualSense when I start HFW is gonna be epic lol)

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Yeah I agree once it gets haptic, and better d-pad lol it'll be the best controller. I'd love to say Dual sense is my favorite but controller hurts my hands after a few hours.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
It's kinda a tie for me on ergonomics (as an occasional player) but man, when I first played Forza Horizon I thought the rumble, and only the rumble, was a let down.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I was super disappointed when I learned that the Xbox Series pads just had minor changes from the Xbox One pads. Having haptics or better force feedback and maybe a gyro or something would have been awesome. Oh well.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Haptic feedback in the Dualsense still isn't being used to the fullest extent, even in games like Forbidden West that just came out.

Astro's Playroom shows what can be done with the controller, and when used properly, it's amazing. For example, in Astro's Playroom, you can feel a gentle "tap" for each footstep Astro takes, and that feeling changes when you walk through tall grass, dirt, water, etc. You can close your eyes and know when you're moving forward, how fast you're moving, and what surface you're walking on.....all through the haptic feedback.

None of this is even present in a high budget first party game like Forbidden West. You in fact feel zero haptic feedback when walking and running with Alloy. The resistance triggers feel nice when aiming with the bow, but so much more could be done to properly utilize the Dualsense's haptic motors.

have you tried WRC 9 or 10?

that series feels amazing with the Dualsense.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

Astro's Playroom shows what can be done with the controller, and when used properly, it's amazing. For example, in Astro's Playroom, you can feel a gentle "tap" for each footstep Astro takes, and that feeling changes when you walk through tall grass, dirt, water, etc. You can close your eyes and know when you're moving forward, how fast you're moving, and what surface you're walking on.....all through the haptic feedback.

Footstep haptics are the worst thing to come out of this gen of consoles. Genuinely game ruining for me, I actually repurchased one game I bought on PS5 on my Xbox as the footsteps haptics made it unplayable for me and there was no way to turn it off without losing all haptics. Glad to hear HFW doesn't have them.

I also think the speaker in the controller is doing more heavy lifting for walking on different surfaces than the haptics themselves. When combined they give a good illusion, pretty sure that it won't be anywhere near as effective without the sound element.

But back to the question posed in the OP: I'm in agreement, time to catch up and replace the Series Controllers rumble motors with a good haptics setup.

Lastly, you folks wanting an inbuilt battery are bonkers, that's the worst thing about half the controllers I own.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
100% agree. Controller is great ergonomic-wise but the fact it doesn´t support HD rumble yet is simply unjustifiable.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
All it needs is gyro and IMO itll be perfect. I've never liked Sony's controllers, and Nintendo's "pro" line are fine but nothing special.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
No rechargeable battery, no symmetrical sticks, no Gyro, trash d-pad, poor haptics. I wouldn't call it the best controller in existence, I'd call it damn near fifteen years out of date.

Whoever puts back buttons on their default controller is the real winner.
all of these. the xbox controller fails to provide the bare minimum exprected in 2022

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Haptics would be fine but the most important missing feature of the Xbox controller is gyro.

It was a big oversight to not add gyro to the Series controller whilst still maintaining the comparability of old controllers in non gyro games.

There's still time though and Xbox have shown themselves to be good at listening to consumer feedback on recent times so I expect done development here.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
It's the only area Xbox dropped the ball on. I hope there's enough noise that they do a controller refresh midway through the gen.

I prefer asymmetrical sticks and using eneloops, though.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
After motion control and MORE IMPORTANTLY rechargeable battery,
No thanks, being able to immediately switch to full rechargeable batteries is better than having to wait or play tethered.

And if you really want it, they sell third party charging kits that just clip in the battery area and then the whole controller docks into a charger.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Rumble can be cool when someone does it right, but it's so limited. Most the time it just... buzzes here and there. Modern haptics have a much wider range of info they can convey. It make old spinning motors seem like a PC speaker that can only make those little honk and beep sounds.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
For me the d-pad both in execution and placement is still better on the dualshock 4. I just find the placement of it uncomfortable on the xbox controller.
I always turn off vibration of any sort of in controllers as I find it uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just me but I hate the clicky D-pad so so much. rb and lb feels weird too, but the controller as a whole does feel good in my hand. But I'm honestly at a point where I prefer the Dualsense controller.

Oct 27, 2017
Gyro is more important than haptics, but it doesn't have that either. I'm genuinely shocked at how far behind the xbox controller is. Remember we were playing with gyro in 2006

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Fully agreed with the OP. It needs a little refresh feature-wise to bring it up to par.

Built-in batteries is such an odd hill to die on. Other than upfront cost, there's no other situation where it's better. Even then, I bought like an 8 pack of Ikea batteries like 5 years ago and they constantly rotate between my Xbox and PC peripherals and are still going strong.

With that said, it would be nice if Microsoft included some eneloops in there by default.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer dualsense but if ms could throw out a new pad soon with haptics and quieter buttons and dpad I'd be all over it.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I have big hands so I don't mind the size of the dual sense and it never got uncomfortable for me . With that said I agree that the Xbox controller feels more ergonomic in the hands . The rumble on the other hand is simply crappy even compared to something like the switch pro controller. The switch pro controller is even more ergonomic than the Xbox controller but both are good .

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The D pad is way too clicky and loud and rumble doesn't add that much anymore, it was cool 20 years ago. I still prefer the form factor of the Xbox controller, however the DualSense is a small step for man but a huge leap for Sony. They're basically neck and neck with Xbox now.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely a night and day difference over the features between dualsense and xb controller. I like the ergonomics of both so to me the xb controller just needs to add more features and get rid of the clicky dpad.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Fully agreed with the OP. It needs a little refresh feature-wise to bring it up to par.

Built-in batteries is such an odd hill to die on. Other than upfront cost, there's no other situation where it's better. Even then, I bought like an 8 pack of Ikea batteries like 5 years ago and they constantly rotate between my Xbox and PC peripherals and are still going strong.

With that said, it would be nice if Microsoft included some eneloops in there by default.
Upfront cost doesn't make any sense either. It's not like the shit battery in the Dualsense comes for free.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Never want to see Xbox controllers have built-in batteries as standard. They're a pain in the ass as the system gets older. It's nice having the option of not using them or just buying a play and charge kit if you REALLY want to rechargeable experience.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
The people talking about preferring rechargeable inbuilt batteries are crazy. I have a couple of rechargeable AA duracel batteries and they last an obscenely long time. I don't need to wait for charging because I always have a pair charged and ready to go . Plus this makes the controller basically last forever because inbuilt batteries all fail eventually.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the OP was going to be about gyro, because that would have made sense. I thought people preferred its haptics, and I think lacking gyro accelerometers is a massive shortcoming in control options, which is the main point of a controller.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Gyro is more important, as it allows gameplay not possible without it. Anyone who has played Splatoon can tell you how, if done right, it is game changing.

squall12

Sep 11, 2018
Do haptics and resistance triggers design trademarks by Sony? Mean Microsoft would need their own design of haptics and resistance triggers design?

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I respect how subjective controller comfort can be but myself and just about every non-enthusiast gamer friend I've invited over to play games between the PS5 and my XSS/PC combo pretty much always prefer the DualSense. And that's before even getting into haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and gyro.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
I really love the layout of the controller but why are the face buttons so damn loud. Click click click click.

My girlfriend can hear me playing my series x when I'm in the living room at night and shes in the bedroom because the sticks and buttons on the xbox controller are so loud when you click them lmao.
There was actually a thread here about it last year.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
The people talking about preferring rechargeable inbuilt batteries are crazy. I have a couple of rechargeable AA duracel batteries and they last an obscenely long time. I don't need to wait for charging because I always have a pair charged and ready to go . Plus this makes the controller basically last forever because inbuilt batteries all fail eventually.
Yeah this is what I have been doing for ages.