• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I know it's fun to be as dismissive, but when the future of consoles as a product is in doubt, especially with the provider pushing a hardware agnostic platform and ecosystem, it means a lot for them to confirm future hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone's falling over themselves to make their sarcastic "Well duh!" posts, but I think it makes sense to mention this now, as it pre-emptively stops any speculation about them never making an Xbox again and going all-in on cloud gaming. It's a reassurance that they're still investing in the console business.

Agree. Without statements like this I could totally see someone coming to the conclusion that the Series consoles are their last.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
MS should experiment with doing a yearly spec bump. The OS is standardized, GP is available across supported platforms, Smart Delivery works great, and people already are used to buying the yearly mobile phone upgrade. Seems like a perfect time to just have Xbox 20xx or whatever branding they want to do. I know I'd probably be good for a new one every 2-3 years if not sooner depending on the features/games.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing MS they'll call it something like the Xbox Series XS or just change the naming scheme again.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
MS should experiment with doing a yearly spec bump. The OS is standardized, GP is available across supported platforms, Smart Delivery works great, and people already are used to buying the yearly mobile phone upgrade.
Honestly, I feel like this would be way too much on developers. I think Microsoft is setting itself up in terms of branding to just be like mobile phone upgrades (I think the next set of consoles are gonna just be called "the new Xbox Series S|X"), but I think they're going to be on a release cadence of once every 3-4 years.

The way Phil talks about is that he thinks new consoles should come with an new infliction point in technology. With One X it was 4K, and with Series S|Series X, it's that he felt it was an important performance target in terms of the balance between CPU/GPU and the introduction of the SSD, so honestly it sounds like if we see new consoles in 3-4 years or not, is going to depend largely on what that next infliction point will be.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What if I told you that the PC2 has been in development ever since the PC came out? Did I blow your mind

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
You mean to tell me the hardware people don't just go on vacation for a few years after shipping a new console?

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Obviously MS is working on the next console. I'm most curious is what kind of console is it. Is MS going the cellphone route of having updated consoles every 12-24 months?

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox 365

and this is the biggest non story ever, no shit, guess what, so is Sony, and Nintendo is probably working on their console after the Switch Pro already

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yes.... R&D for new hardware takes a good 4-5 years. Its safe to assume the PS6 is also in development somewhere.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
Agree. Without statements like this I could totally see someone coming to the conclusion that the Series consoles are their last.

Cloud's great for some people but for those of us with meh internet having a physical console makes more sense.

I imagine it's cheaper for Microsoft for me to be playing locally (where I'm footing the electricity bill for the console and paying for local storage), once you've magicked away the billions in development costs etc.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Did they specify if they're referring to working on their next console as in mid-gen refresh or next as in next-gen? Feels like it's too early to start working on a next-gen console already.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Honestly, I feel like this would be way too much on developers. I think Microsoft is setting itself up in terms of branding to just be like mobile phone upgrades (I think the next set of consoles are gonna just be called "the new Xbox Series S|X"), but I think they're going to be on a release cadence of once every 3-4 years.

The way Phil talks about is that he thinks new consoles should come with an new infliction point in technology. With One X it was 4K, and with Series S|Series X, it's that he felt it was an important performance target in terms of the balance between CPU/GPU and the introduction of the SSD, so honestly it sounds like if we see new consoles in 3-4 years or not, is going to depend largely on what that next infliction point will be.
I mean honestly I felt the Series S would have been too much on developers. I have to admit I was probably more wrong than right about that assessment.

Is there a video/article where Phil talks about that? That sounds pretty interesting.

I guess at the end of the day I just look at it as if you have 5 platforms (PC, SX, SS, XOX, XOS) you currently support then why care about how often you release hardware? Do a big presentation in late summer detailing memory, CPU, storage, and feature bumps you put into the OS and hardware. Release it in the holiday window quickly. Instead of spending years investing into R&D with no return get it incrementally every year.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I mean honestly I felt the Series S would have been too much on developers. I have to admit I was probably more wrong than right about that assessment.

Is there a video/article where Phil talks about that? That sounds pretty interesting.

I guess at the end of the day I just look at it as if you have 5 platforms (PC, SX, SS, XOX, XOS) you currently support then why care about how often you release hardware? Do a big presentation in late summer detailing memory, CPU, storage, and feature bumps you put into the OS and hardware. Release it in the holiday window quickly. Instead of spending years investing into R&D with no return get it incrementally every year.
I believe he talked about it in Giant Bomb's 2019 interview with him.

To be honest, I do think what a console generation means is rapidly changing, but I think there's a middle ground between releasing a console every 7-8 years and releasing a console every year, and I think for the sake of developers, and customers frankly, that middle ground of every 3-4ish years sounds about right.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hope they make a more ambitious controller next time around. The xbox controllers are great, but they're very "safe".

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Can you imagine if they weren't? You hire the best hardware minds you can find, surely paying top dollar, and then you go "Well, we shipped. Take the next three years off." Or like they do with game contractors just let them all go?

Of course they're working on neXtbox and revisions.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony and MS were smart they'd make handheld devices that use streaming and support 5G. That could find them success in certain markets in the future.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I lack interest in the launch console, simply because mid-gen refreshes are pretty much destined to happen.

I like this system honestly. I had no interest in Gen 1 RDNA 2.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This was always known. I think people that were peddling the narrative that they wanted to get out of the console business and that they "didn't care" about selling consoles were never to be taken seriously in the first place. They've been making consoles for 20 years. They're not gonna stop now.