• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 29, 2022

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Rat5GKOaY

In the video above, Kevin LaChapelle and Catherine Gluckstein who lead the Xbox Cloud Gaming effort sat down to recap the biggest updates and enhancements to the program over the past year.

Gluckstein noted that Xbox Cloud Gaming's hourly use had grown 1800% in the past year alone, with LaChapelle emphasizing that Microsoft is working to meet demand with additional servers across the globe. In a recent call to investors, Microsoft noted its plans to double Xbox Cloud Gaming's server capacity in the coming year, as more and more heavy hitters appear permanently as part of the service.

A big part of that growth undoubtedly hinges on Fortnite, which is now completely free to play without even an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription via xbox.com/play.

May 25, 2019
London
I felt really meh about using XBox Cloud Gaming when trying it from my iPhone or IPad which forces you to use Safari. But using it on the Steam Deck has been a revelation. It's a great experience!

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I felt really meh about using XBox Cloud Gaming when trying it from my iPhone or IPad which forces you to use Safari. But using it on the Steam Deck has been a revelation. It's a great experience!

I had the exact same experience. Something about iOS devices doesn't play well at all with streaming. I was ready to write off xcloud after my first experiences, then tried it on my deck and was amazed.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a statistic lol. I went from not suing it to buying a Razer Kishi and playing FH5 and Minecraft Dungeons every lunch breaks in the last months. It's a great service I think.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does xCloud streaming quality still suck?
Depends on how it's being launched and where it's being delivered from. I wasn't working too well on my old phone, but on my newish phone (Pixel 5) its sublime.

I was playing on my phone in hospital last year, was actually a great way to play RPGs, turn based games and so on.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you haven't tried it for a while, I really encourage you to try it again 😊 the team has pulled out all the stops being hyper-focused on stream quality and reliability for the last 6+ months and it's made a huge difference on every platform, from Windows to MacOS, from Android to iOS, and especially via browser at xbox.com/play

Just last week, the team rolled out some really noticeable improvements specifically for Windows:

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own an xbox only a ps5 and a switch so any time there's a game pass game I want to play I do it on the cloud. Originally I wasn't too impressed and now it's pretty damn good. A bit temperamental depending on the genre it almost seems like but for single player offline games it has been really great.

If it can just nail consistency it will be fantastic but like I said, sometimes temperamental. This is on safari on a Mac though I tried Edge as well and it was similar to me despite it supposedly being better tuned there.

OP
OP
Mar 29, 2022
If you haven't tried it for a while, I really encourage you to try it again 😊 the team has pulled out all the stops being hyper-focused on stream quality and reliability for the last 6+ months and it's made a huge difference on every platform, from Windows to MacOS, from Android to iOS, and especially via browser at xbox.com/play

Just last week, the team rolled out some really noticeable improvements specifically for Windows:

Pretty sure i'm going to try it on Halo 5 once i can get some bucks to purchase an year of Ultimate :)

Oct 25, 2017
I still have a ton of issues with image quality, but the input stuff is insane (for me). It feels like i'm playing locally on the browser.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
If you haven't tried it for a while, I really encourage you to try it again

I don't know if that's a topic Xbox team has been talking about, but does Xbox/Microsoft has a study regarding the energy and environment cost of streaming for video game?

Genuine question as I've always been curious about this topic to know if it does harm more or less than video streaming, regarding how much it could demand to run and then stream a game on any given device?

Thank you if you happen to have something for me to look forward! 🙏

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

I haven't used it much, but shout out to the team - I tried xCloud on my steam deck when I first got it, and I was seriously impressed at how smooth it was.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't know if that's a topic Xbox team has been talking about, but does Xbox/Microsoft has a study regarding the energy and environment cost of streaming for video game?

Genuine question as I've always been curious about this topic to know if it does harm more or less than video streaming, regarding how much it could demand to run and then stream a game on any given device?

Thank you if you happen to have something for me to look forward! 🙏
I'm no expert in the field, but there was a blog post about this earlier in the year:

news.xbox.com

An Update on Xbox Sustainability Efforts - Xbox Wire

Carbon negative, water positive and zero waste by 2030, sustainability updates to our Xbox Series X|S consoles, empowering players with energy saver mode, and more At Microsoft – and, by extension, at Xbox – we’ve set ambitious commitments to meaningfully reduce the company’s environmental...

Cloud gaming

We're exploring how we can reduce the environmental impact of our Xbox Cloud Gaming offering.

• Since most power usage occurs during game play, cloud gaming can take advantage of Azure's significant renewable energy investments. By 2025, Azure datacenters will shift to 100% supply of renewable energy so cloud gaming can leverage this clean energy transition.
  • Our custom designed Xbox server hardware is based on the same power efficient architecture as our consoles. Also, using this hardware in the cloud environment allows us to reach hundreds more players per server over its lifetime.

So:
1. As Azure datacenters get more efficient, so does cloud gaming
2. You need to produce a whole lot less hardware to reach far more players

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I haven't used it much, but shout out to the team - I tried xCloud on my steam deck when I first got it, and I was seriously impressed at how smooth it was.
Awesome to hear!

I know a lot of people say that the Steam Deck has been their best experience with Xbox Cloud Gaming, and maybe that is still the case today. But a lot of improvements rolled out everywhere right around the same time that support rolled out for Steam Deck. So it could also be a coincidence, and maybe your experience will be better everywhere and not just great on Steam Deck!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud gaming is *GREAT* for launching a game just to quickly try it, to see if you might like it. I did that for this Peppa Pig game, something I wouldn't otherwise spend time downloading, launching, and then deleting, but I wanted to see if it's something my daughter might like. It wasn't, but it was much better to try the game with streaming first, rather than waiting.

Vonterribad

Jul 17, 2022

Same, running off my ipad was not a great experience. But shocked how good it is on a rinky dink little laptop I had laying around.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Awesome to hear!

I know a lot of people say that the Steam Deck has been their best experience with Xbox Cloud Gaming, and maybe that is still the case today. But a lot of improvements rolled out everywhere right around the same time that support rolled out for Steam Deck. So it could also be a coincidence, and maybe your experience will be better everywhere and not just great on Steam Deck!

I would love the option to choose a higher resolution on the deck. Another idea I have had is to somehow being the Rewards app and Gamepass quests to cloud. Some days, I only turn on the Series X to collect points lol.

Thanks to you and your team for all the great work.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
For me the service has made huge strides this year in both latency and image quality. Not a replacement for the native experience on my big OLED, but when I'm playing on my Steam Deck? May as well be native.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm no expert in the field, but there was a blog post about this earlier in the year:

news.xbox.com

An Update on Xbox Sustainability Efforts - Xbox Wire

Carbon negative, water positive and zero waste by 2030, sustainability updates to our Xbox Series X|S consoles, empowering players with energy saver mode, and more At Microsoft – and, by extension, at Xbox – we’ve set ambitious commitments to meaningfully reduce the company’s environmental...

So:
1. As Azure datacenters get more efficient, so does cloud gaming
2. You need to produce a whole lot less hardware to reach far more players
Probably a lot of CO2 "savings" from not needing to ship it all over the country/delivery. Though that may be moot given things are always in transit idk lol

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just really want them to support Smart TVs. I have a Sony Google TV in my bedroom that would be perfect for Cloud Streaming, but they don't have a smart TV app yet :/

I had the exact same experience. Something about iOS devices doesn't play well at all with streaming. I was ready to write off xcloud after my first experiences, then tried it on my deck and was amazed.
Thats mostly just iOS devices in general. Apple really cripples WebKit for iOS so it can't become a competitor to the appstore

Last edited:

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I have to shout out this service, in Argentina it works stupidly well, me and my friends were dumbstruck to see it working this well. So if it works really well in my country where the infrastructure sucks, it will for sure work really well for all of you out there.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017

howdy! i realize this may be a different team than "cloud" but i would really, really love the ability to manually set a quality level/bit rate for in-home streaming from my xbox to another device. I hard wired my entire home for gigabit ethernet specifically to stream to any screen from any device…and the visual quality from a Series X is by far the worst of all my devices. It's like the bit rate is locked at 10mbps, despite my network being easily capable of 60+. There's just a ton of pixelation and macro blocking whenever there's motion. anyway, thank you for posting here!

Siam Shade

Jun 1, 2018
I'm farwaray from Brazil's datacenters (Fortaleza) but I can play 90% of time. I have some strange behavior where it plays really nice but like a clock it disconnects each 30 minutes. It was way worse though. It's playable but it is strange how it runs amazing and sundelly disconnects.

Sought After

Oct 28, 2017
The 15mbps stream bitrate cap and no M/KB support are the big things holding it back. If they decide to charge extra for that when it leaves beta instead of rolling it into Ultimate for one price I wonder how the service will fair against the comeptition.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I echo sentiments that this has been awesome on the steam deck. For some reason it's tons better than when I tried on my phone

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Person 1: __________ cloud gaming service sucks for me!

Person 2: Well, __________ cloud gaming service works great for me though.

Repeat ad nauseum in these threads. Can we all just agree it's different from person to person, it's getting old at this point.

I'm pretty sure it entirely depends on location.

I'm in Brooklyn on Spectrum, and it was absolutely awful until about 3 months ago for me. Now it is just kind of OK. Still too much latency for FPS games, but I can play RPGs and strategy games with it now somewhat.

Playing Halo is out of the question for me, but others say it plays great for them. I assume they are just closer to a server.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Does this improve the streaming in the Xbox app at all? Does this make streaming in browsers on desktop better than streaming in the xbox app?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely can tell there is an improvement. Playing Outriders from the cloud on my Note20 Ultra feels like when I do remote play on my local console over my Wi-Fi. Can't tell the difference.

Cloud works better in that it has sound. Remote Play has just repeating noises for sound -.-

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
My internet has recently become highly unstable at home (nothing to do with xCloud), which has really curtailed my usage of streaming. And I do miss it. Being able to just launch a game and see how it plays is awesome. And typically, I never install the game even if I'm playing to completion, unless my internet is very unreliable or there are issues with the game (I've noticed fewer of these lately, but may also be the type of games that I'm playing).

Jul 26, 2018
I wanted to try Stellaris. 20 minutes in there's a weird image artifact, it was just for a split of a second and I was like "Shit I totally forgot I was playing on the cloud". It's that good 👍

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Of course it will never be as responsive as local hardware but it's pretty impressive getting into a game in a very short time without having to download the game. Perfect compliment to a subscription service to try out new games. I can see why it's growing quickly.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
Its a great service and I love it. I had problems with it at first, then I realized it was my router causing the problems. Got a new router, everything is perfect.

Apr 21, 2018
I'm farwaray from Brazil's datacenters (Fortaleza) but I can play 90% of time. I have some strange behavior where it plays really nice but like a clock it disconnects each 30 minutes. It was way worse though. It's playable but it is strange how it runs amazing and sundelly disconnects.
There was similar disconnection with GFN free tier in Brazil.
In europe, it was 1 hour game session but due to the high demand they reduced to 30 minutes in Brazil.
I wonder if it's still the case...

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018

Any news on more region support? India?