• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
fd3edf392737b01f20e1f56fcff4ffcc.png

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
I'm going to be really surprised if that's the case. That would be awesome for gamers and a great move by Xbox.
Nah it's just about "pulling content already out there", new ES, Fallout and Starfield aren't going to happen on PS consoles just deal with it.
Jesus Christ it's not rocket science people- games that have already been slated to come out for PS4/5/Switch will still be coming out on those systems.

FUTURE games, ones that are currently just started development or still in the planning stages will most definitely be Xbox exclusive.
It's not as obvious as you are making it out to be. The "first, best" comment is obviously talking about future releases and not just games already existing on those platforms. But we'll see. They need to be obtuse given the current aquisition timeline, but I'd like to believe they actually pull this off in a way that doesn't screw over existing fans on other platforms. That would be fantastic news for everyone. Now all we need is all those Sony buying timed-exclusives left and right comments not to materialize in any major form and we are golden.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
I don't understand why their size makes any difference. I keep seeing all these distinctions, but I don't think this deal is materially different from the other ones. I think this deal just hurts some gamers more due to their established IPs. It just feels like denial from some people.
It's 100% about the IPs yes, these series are huge and span decades with millions of fans. You can add Tango gameworks and Arkane games as more niche prestige games and even those are way memorable than any smaller indie title published by DoubleFine (even if I loved Tim schafer back in the days, his new ventures have disappointed me)

I wonder if Microsoft could buy the old lucas art IPs, so they can make some great point & click games with the gang (Bring in Ron Gilbert)

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
It's not going to draw people to game pass if they can just wait it out and get it on Playstation, so I'm not at all convinced they'll publish Bethesda games on competing platforms. Honestly with the way he was talking about not pulling games it reads more like they'll continue support for the MMOs.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This reads to me like existing games won't stop being supported, specifically because he's talking about "pulling" content. So more or less ESO and Fallout 76 will continue receiving updates on all platform, as well as other online games I may be forgetting. I don't think this has any bearing on future releases.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Timed exclusives then, as most of us suspected...good news for playstation and switch owners, definitely

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Why doesn't Nintendo or Sony put their games on Xbox?
This question is extremely disingenuous in this scenario, as we are specifically discussing game series/developers who have had an entire history of massive multiplatform success.

Asking whether Bethesda will continue on as multiplatform has no equating to Sony/Nintendo going multiplatform with first-party games.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Nintendo or Sony put their games on Xbox?

Answer: to drive people to their ecosystem

I think that answer works for MS as well. Particularly when you consider how important gamepass is to them.
I don't think you can't really use that comparison. Nintendo and Sony games aren't on Xbox to begin with. So their success is totally built from their own ecosystems.
The success of most games under the Zenimax umbrella is due to them being multiplatform.

Clarification on exclusitivy.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
He also said this earlier in the interview

And we said this as part of the announcement. When we think about Bethesda, it's going to be the continuing to allow -- I'll say allow, but continue to sell their games on the platforms that they exist today, and we'll determine what that looks over time and will change over time. I'm not making any announcements about exclusivity or something like that. But that model will change.

Original Source - https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...interactive-entertainment-virtual?part=single

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's not as obvious as you are making it out to be. The "first, best" comment is obviously talking about future releases and not just games already existing on those platforms. But we'll see
Is he? Perhabs the new content for Fallout 76 and ESO will release first on Xbox and than his statement would be true. You know as I said he should stop talking, because they can't say much legally yet and the only thing CFO is doing is dancing around.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this says anything and still firmly fall into the camp of if you give a shit about Bethesda games you should probably think about what Xbox ecosystem you want to join.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I seriously don't see MS trying to fuck PS gamers here with exclusives, or even timed exclusives. You don't win customers by pissing them off.

How would you win over Sony customers to your platform by putting your first party games on PlayStation day one. They specifically mention timed exclusives ("first"). There will definitely be games first on Xbox for x years.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how this works out, I wonder at what point spending 7.5BN dollars on the company is worse value than paying for gamepass and timed exclusivity.

As I understand it, based on what Phil Spencer said, the deal doesn't go through until next year and they aren't allowed to announce anything until then, so I'm surprised the CFO is saying anything about future plans. I wonder if this is slightly out of context and he's actually talking about games that are already announced.

I still can't really believe that anyone thinks that they bought the company to publish games on PlayStation and Switch.

Halo must be the most expensive game on Xbox. Nobody expects that on PlayStation and Switch. Why are they leaving that money on the table?

I always hear this argument and it's completely backwards.

Firstly, MS payed for all of Bethesda's IP. That includes all of the technology they use to build their games. They also get unfettered access to Bethesdas talent. And they get to fold all of those assets into the XGS portfolio, which has potential benefits and value well beyond the existing franchises.

If all they wanted was Gamepass and timed exclusivity, they could have paid much less than $7.5 Billion.

I can't believe people think they'd pay that much just to keep a few games away from Sony and Nintendo when $7.5 Billion is roughly Sony's entire profit from PS4. It took the market leader 7 years to make $7.5 Billion in profit with an exclusives-only strategy. It makes no sense to assume MS is going to start the next gen in a $7.5 Billion hole and execute the same strategy. They'll never turn a profit. If they just wanted a few more exclusives, a money-hat would have served this purpose with much less cost.

As far as Halo goes, the value of that IP is baked into its existence as a console exclusive. Elder Scrolls, for example, is a much bigger franchise than Halo, and it being multi-platform is intrinsic to the value of the IP. Would the loss of core Xbox customers ecosystem be worth the increase in software sales if Halo landed on PlayStation? Probably not. Would the increase in core Xbox customers be worth the reduction of Elder Scroll's sales potential if it were limited to one console? Probably not. ES games can sell over 30million copies, while Halo 5 is somewhere between 6 and 8.

Last edited:

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the "pulling content" is mostly referring to existing titles and not new ones, I'd expect ESO or Fallout 76 to get next gen upgrades for PS5 but not a lot more than that

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
Makes no sense for Microsoft to make besthesda games a timed exclusive. Timed exclusives just means I will wait until the game is released on my preferred platform before I play it. I'm waiting for the windows edition of ff7 remake instead of buying a Playstation. If there was a dragons dogma 2 exclusively for PS5, that would make me buy a PS5, otherwise I would just wait for the PC version.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is a perfect example of good PR saying nothing and letting everyone interpret it like they want to confirm their bias

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
There is a big difference between pulling content and not adding NEW content. ESO, FO76, and DLC for other alrewdy released games is probably what's being talked about.

Espect more vagueness until the deal is in ink.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is a perfect example of good PR saying nothing and letting everyone interpret it like they want to confirm their bias
What are you talking about? I agree on the first part and think the CFO should keep is mouth shut, because those vague statements don't help anyone and will lead to disappointment.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That sounds like a 6 month to 1 year exclusive to me. That should be encouraging for PS5 owners. Certainly better than the nothing that most were expecting.

Oct 25, 2017
This question is extremely disingenuous in this scenario, as we are specifically discussing game series/developers who have had an entire history of massive multiplatform success.

Asking whether Bethesda will continue on as multiplatform has no equating to Sony/Nintendo going multiplatform with first-party games.

It's not a disingenuous question because it gives insight how these companies view the economics of these platforms. Phil has said he doesn't expect Nintendo type of deals in the future.

Again, I don't understand why we aren't getting the same questions regarding double fine IPs and Halo. It just feels like denial.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Key word there being "all" which makes me think that this is no different from the "case by case basis" and support for existing multiplatform service titles (ESO, Fallout 76, Doom Eternal).

Some games, likely those from existing PS-centric IPs (Wolfenstein, the two PS5 timed exclusives, Evil Within etc) are gonna be just timed exclusives, but I have a feeling that new IPs and existing Xbox centric IPs are gonna all be full console exclusives (Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout, Doom)

The biggest thing though is the day one Gamepass inclusions though, which allows the service to grow. So being a total armchair management accountant, I could see them being willing to offset Gamepass losses by releasing Zenimax games multiplatform for at least the time being

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't get into this until the deal is finalized. I truly think new games won't come out on ps5 but current ones like FO76 and existing ones will stay. They will abide contracts like death loop coming to ps5 first and then Xbox later.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This thread really goes to show how different this interview gets interpreted. The CFO should stop. We have...
  • Team: Fallout 76, Deathloop, ESO "not getting pulled". Starfield, TES6, ... all exclusive.
  • Team: on case by case basis. Nothing changed to prior Interviews
  • Team: everything will be time exclusive.
and more...

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Future Bethesda games are NOT coming to PS5, no way in hell.

Won't believe it until I see it.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like overall this is just the same "case-by-case" answer they've been giving for a while now?

Zenimax encompasses a pretty large amount of content, the safe assumption from what they've been saying themselves is that they likely have different strategies for each piece of content, based on a bunch of different factors. Doesn't seem worthwhile to read any of these statements and assume there's an all-or-nothing plan in mind for exclusivity.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are misreading the statement. This is in reference to currently available products, as he specifically calls that out. This has nothing to do with what is coming.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
So will it be like minecraft and it just makes so much money on other platforms it dosent really make sense to keep it exclusive
I cant imagine they spent all that money to get timed exclusives or some crap though

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
When the sale actually closes and MS is out there actually announcing a new Bethesda game then we'll finally know.

Until then, ambiguous stuff like this is best left ignored in my opinion.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely live with 1 year delays for other platforms, or similar. I hope they do the same thing with future Double Fine games.

We'll see how it all shakes out.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
When the sale actually closes and MS is out there actually announcing a new Bethesda game then we'll finally know.

Until then, ambiguous stuff like this is best left ignored in my opinion.
I agree. It will be on a case by case basis as they've said. This interview here can be interpreted in different ways. You can't pull content that wasn't released to begin with. English isn't my mother tongue, but that's how I understand the word pulled.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These statements are pointless, they can basically do what they want and change their plans at any time.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I think people are misreading the statement. This is in reference to currently available products, as he specifically calls that out. This has nothing to do with what is coming.
This is how I read it initially, too.

People are setting themselves for disappointment here by willfully misreading the comment.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
7.5B for timed exclusivity. Wat.
I doubt this, but sure they will do what they think is best financially. If they want those subscriber numbers to go up, you lock it to the platform ie PC & Xbox.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe it. Not for a second. I own a PS5, but I love Wolfenstein, Doom, and everything Arkane makes. They are going to make all the new games from those studios exclusive to the Xbox. Because of that, I will absolutely buy an Xbox when those games start coming out. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't make Bethesda games exclusive.

Hell, we may even get a good Fallout game again now that MS owns them. That would be another way to secure my purchase. Once again, I just can't believe they would abandon the obvious advantage that those exclusives would give them.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thankfully I have time between now and the release of these games to save for an XSX in the event those games are exclusive.