• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breaks my heart seeing this, I was looking forward to Ghost so much

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
xirvD1K.jpg

I'm really curious to see how much is actually finished.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how far into development this version was?

Going off the copyright date it may fall into this window of development from the Polygon story:
"After the Tokyo Game Show, where we had some good levels and we felt the game was on the right track, we brought in a multiplayer mode," says Huebner. "The art style changed. We were chasing team co-op multiplayer that was not even part of the original design."...

In late 2003 and 2004, the tension was coming to a head. The game's development had continued for so long, and no progress was being made. Huebner even signed another job for Nihilistic in anticipation that the contract between it and Blizzard would fall apart.

Last edited:

DrM2theJ

Feb 13, 2018
It was a long time ago, but I'm not sure that first stage in the video was the one from the playable build at E3. They also did have a build of the multiplayer at E3 where you could play as a marine or firebat. Maybe this is an earlier build? Haven't followed these leaks at all.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
That video hurt to watch, but damn if it isn't great to see Starcraft Ghost in action. If this is a legit build I can't wait to see people in the scene tear it apart and share it's secrets.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Interesting, wonder how it got out? Feel like security has been a bit tighter around these sorts of things since a certain incident, wasn't expecting a prototype this important to surface again so soon.
With things like these just takes time and the right person wanting to leak it. Same went with Battlefront III when that leaked and I wouldn't be surprised if other games leaked like that soon.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
With things like these just takes time and the right person wanting to leak it. Same went with Battlefront III when that leaked and I wouldn't be surprised if other games leaked like that soon.
Battlefront 3 is a fun story.

defghik

Feb 15, 2018
Visuals look pretty impressive by OG Xbox standards. The controls look broken but of course this was far from a finished build.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Leaks like these are so goddamn exciting! I remember the massive hype surrounding this back then. Game's kinda impressive graphically but the gameplay looks boring as hell. I still need to see more of this though.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this piracy... /s

So, they cancelled it to give us OW?
I think you're thinking of project Titan
But this looked pretty good, her arms seem super long.
This is from 2004 when swinging ape made the switch to being more action oriented (per polygon article), I'm guessing the action music is place holder bc it could get tiring real quick

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Anyone streaming this? I'm so eager to see where the story would've unfolded.

ATVI had some misteps but not shipping Starcraft Ghost was a huge one. Even if they salvaged it up in the 2010's it would've definitely sold well in this gaming climate. Now Starcraft is an all but dead IP with nothing being released in its name for the next 4-5 years, which would be at least 10 years since LotV (the last game) released.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I was literally just talking about this game two days ago, trying to explain the Ghost skin in Overwatch to my daughter, very cool.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
I can neither confirm nor deny that I know anything about this StarCraft: Ghost leak, but man I love Cxbx-Reloaded.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
This was a legit megaton at e3 when it was announced. Obviously we've all learned our lessons on getting overly hyped too soon

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone streaming this? I'm so eager to see where the story would've unfolded.

ATVI had some misteps but not shipping Starcraft Ghost was a huge one. Even if they salvaged it up in the 2010's it would've definitely sold well in this gaming climate. Now Starcraft is an all but dead IP with nothing being released in its name for the next 4-5 years, which would be at least 10 years since LotV (the last game) released.
Unless I'm mistaken everything that happened with Ghost was pre-Activision. Vivendi would have been the one in control.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
I wish devs were more open to showing off unreleased and early builds of their games. It's a great looking glass into the production of games and helps us understand how game development works.

343 having a stream where they played the E3 Halo 2 demo and showed how unstable and scripted it actually was is one example. It gave everyone a greater understanding of how pressured and far behind Bungie was for Halo 2's development and shows how much of damn miracle Halo 2 came out the way it did.

convinced every fun leak is played by people not familiar with videogames

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be awesome if the disc image gets released and people with modded Xbox (me) get to play it from a burned disc.

Playing unreleased vestiges of the past like that is always awesome.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got to play the LAN multiplayer mode of this at the original BlizzCon, and it was a lot of fun! It was kind of like third person Halo, w/ your favorite Starcraft Units - Marines, Firebats, Ghosts, Zerglings, Hydralisks, Mutalisks. It really bums me out the game was canceled over the loss of the multiplayer alone.