• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

via Borman

Who would have thought a month ago that Starcraft Ghost would leak in some form?
Note that this is not from me, has nothing to do with my work, and was posted anonymously throughout various Xbox groups. Just reporting the news.
I will not share links, nor do I condone sharing of the links in the thread.
Should you find a link for it, use the usual caution for web downloads. I haven't verified any of the links so.

Vz2R6Pb.png
vsJLBmc.png
bS4kvFh.png
ReZE6RW.png

It's also worth reposting this great article from Polygon on the development of the game:
www.polygon.com

StarCraft: Ghost: What went wrong

Issue StarCraft: Ghost:What went wrong by Patrick Stafford Robert Huebner was on top of the world. The Tokyo Game Show. 2002. Less than two years...

Last edited:

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious how it fares, after having played a demo of it about ten years ago at the GamesCom in Leipzig.

Nov 4, 2018
I wish devs were more open to showing off unreleased and early builds of their games. It's a great looking glass into the production of games and helps us understand how game development works.

343 having a stream where they played the E3 Halo 2 demo and showed how unstable and scripted it actually was is one example. It gave everyone a greater understanding of how pressured and far behind Bungie was for Halo 2's development and shows how much of damn miracle Halo 2 came out the way it did.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just to make it clear here, it has nothing to do with me or my work. Just reporting what was lighting up Facebook and Discord for me this morning

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, wonder how it got out? Feel like security has been a bit tighter around these sorts of things since a certain incident, wasn't expecting a prototype this important to surface again so soon.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, wonder how it got out? Feel like security has been a bit tighter around these sorts of things since a certain incident, wasn't expecting a prototype this important to surface again so soon.

I would assume probably how a most of the unreleased OG Xbox games have leaked, someone bought a Xbox dev kit at an auction of some sort and when they were working through it found the build for the game and uploaded it.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I wish devs were more open to showing off unreleased and early builds of their games. It's a great looking glass into the production of games and helps us understand how game development works.

343 having a stream where they played the E3 Halo 2 demo and showed how unstable and scripted it actually was is one example. It gave everyone a greater understanding of how pressured and far behind Bungie was for Halo 2's development and shows how much of damn miracle Halo 2 came out the way it did.
Agreed. It was also very cool to see Volition show off and flat-out share an unfinished build of their PSP Saints Row game a few years ago. I wish devs did that kind of thing more often.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I would assume probably how a most of the unreleased OG Xbox games have leaked, someone bought a Xbox dev kit at an auction of some sort and when they were working through it found the build for the game and uploaded it.
Thats good, unlike the other guy who wiped his alpha xbox devkit to make it into a gaming rig.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
a part of me still really wants this game to be made

soooooo, it's a generic xbox third person shooter. looks like on the level of Brute Force.
Video is literally some dude provoking non hostile NPCs in what looks to be a non combat zone, dying, then doing it again. We don't see any of the mechanics being explored. It was being developed as a stealth action game.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I always got the impression that it was a very generic TPS with a Starcraft coat of paint, which is why Blizzard canned it back when they had quality standards.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That looks pretty good considering. Glad to see it's out in the open now, it was such a hyped project.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
The fog in that video clip makes Turok look like Red Dead 2. Yikes!
(I still wish this game would get another shot with 2020 technology and gameplay innovations)

Jurai

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like you need a modded OG Xbox with the extra RAM or an RGH 360 running BC to play it.

I tried it with the latest 128MB hacked Fusion files from Mathieu using the Ghost.xbe, once I got into a mission it held itself up, but I had to go through 4 menu & loading screen freezes to get to that point

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Thank you! That's considerably better footage. It doesn't look incredible, but it does look like a game I would've enjoyed at the time.
Looks like aiming is awful or not calibrated at all.
Looks to me more like that person isn't familiar with aiming with a controller or that kind of game at all. They also keep looting when it says inventory full. Not sure what they were doing.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Thank you! That's considerably better footage. It doesn't look incredible, but it does look like a game I would've enjoyed at the time.

Looks to me more like that person isn't familiar with aiming with a controller or that kind of game at all. They also keep looting when it says inventory full. Not sure what they were doing.

It's not a finished game, controls and the inventory system could be still being tweaked at this development stage.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember seeing this in a games magazine and thinking it looks and sounds cool, a long long time ago.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I think it would be interesting if this became compatible under CXBX-R and at a higher resolution.

Are these 720p feeds using a modified XBE, or is this something that is configurable within the game?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Part of me wonders if this is a legitimate build of the game or if someone is just pulling a stunt and recreated it.