• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The cynic in me says that they did not get back the response they were hoping for on their trial balloon. I still don't like them delisting the game for a new version that is missing some key features, but they have a right to no longer sell something if they don't want to, I guess. At least they are making sure that people will get to keep what they purchased.
Same really, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt but you have to wonder why putting up new versions would cause the old ones not to work. It's not like that's been the case for other games that are BC and have remasters on the Xbox One.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I created a thread several months ago on why Game Pass is an example why a digital future is bad. People were basically calling me an idiot and they had no clue at all what they were talking about, praising the all digital future. Yet here we are......
Not even the same thing.

And this thread is about an issue of digital ownership. Gamepass is renting and that's fine. Buying a digital game should never be considered renting.

Nov 6, 2017
The old version is no longer for sale and it remains to be seen if / for how long you can redeem codes for the XBLA version.
The new version is missing online play completly. If that is important for you the new version is a big no. Maybe a patch will fix this and more (like the required Bethesda account to play the game).

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
You lost physical long ago. What you have on disc and cart is beta versions and/or not even complete games. U

Tell that to my game that I can loan to a friend or family member, give away, sell, etc. That I can still play if I lose access to my online library..

They may not be complete games in all circumstances (especially at the AAA level) but they still have many advantages. For non AAA I think most games work fine even without patches, with exceptions of course.

It's honestly ridiculous that you're trying to stage this argument in this thread.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
After two restarts, Doom/Doom II still aren't available on the download list for my backup XB1, just if others are wondering when they should expect it to be fixed.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You lost physical long ago. What you have on disc and cart is beta versions and/or not even complete games. U
I disagree.

In some cases, absolutely, but that is not the norm. Not even close.

I've closely examined this as well. Most games are perfectly fine right off the disc or cart (single player, of course). There's plenty of games that are not, though, and that does suck, but it's not THAT common if you actually step back and look at all the releases out there.

Also, all the 'limited run' style companies that have popped up are releasing physical versions of games that were digital only with all fixes applied most of the time. They're all solid.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Has the problem really been fixed yet? They say it's a bug but have given no timetable on when people's purchases should return.

Nov 6, 2017
No, the problem is not fixed, but there are ways to start the download anyway. On Xbox One for example go to your achievements, find Doom 1 / 2, switch to the welcome tab (top left) and select the "show in store" button. This opens the correct store page where you can download the game again.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I've closely examined this as well. Most games are perfectly fine right off the disc or cart (single player, of course). There's plenty of games that are not, though, and that does suck, but it's not THAT common if you actually step back and look at all the releases out there.

Also, with how external drives are not tied to the console/account it's easy to transfer the "complete" game to another console as long as the disc is there to act as the "key".

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I disagree.

Also, all the 'limited run' style companies that have popped up are releasing physical versions of games that were digital only with all fixes applied most of the time. They're all solid.

And yet Bloodstained was an absolute mess on Cart/Disc and the developers even said not to even play the game until the patch came out. The Switch version is still unplayable garbage.

Pretty much all games have patches/updates that either download the rest of the game (or modes) or add substantial changes that are clearly needed to enjoy the game. Sure, some case studies exist where the game is 100% on the cart/disc and don't need an update, but those are becoming far from the norm.

And those "limited run" style games are at the 2-5x cost of the digital version. So sure, go ahead and pay $40 for a $10 eShop game if you really need to feel good about "owning" it.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
And yet Bloodstained was an absolute mess on Cart/Disc and the developers even said not to even play the game until the patch came out. The Switch version is still unplayable garbage.

Pretty much all games have patches/updates that either download the rest of the game (or modes) or add substantial changes that are clearly needed to enjoy the game. Sure, some case studies exist where the game is 100% on the cart/disc and don't need an update, but those are becoming far from the norm.

Yes you picked one game that's a mess for sure, and there's no doubt that messes exist. That doesn't make them the rule.

It's fairly easy to know which games need to be avoided at launch. Gather some intel, decide whether to hold off on a physical purchase for these reasons. And of course AAA games you just wait for the "Game of the Year" version if you want a disk.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Yes you picked one game that's a mess for sure, and there's no doubt that messes exist. That doesn't make them the rule.

It's fairly easy to know which games need to be avoided at launch. Gather some intel, decide whether to hold off on a physical purchase for these reasons. And of course AAA games you just wait for the "Game of the Year" version if you want a disk.

But its a recent mess and many games often require multiple patches/updates to fix games that are not finished.

Nintendo doesn't really do GOTW stuff so that doesn't really work. Try playing Mario Tennis without updating. Eeeeeek.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
But its a recent mess and many games often require multiple patches/updates to fix games that are not finished.

Nintendo doesn't really do GOTW stuff so that doesn't really work. Try playing Mario Tennis without updating. Eeeeeek.

Again nobody disagrees that there aren't examples. It's just that the situation isn't as abysmal as you claim it is.

Maybe you just play Nintendo stuff and they are a mess? I wouldn't know.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Except with the current gen onwards this is less of a guarantee given the number of updates.

To many as long as the game loads they feel their physical is "good enough". In the mean time all my digital are downloaded with the latest updates and if the games get "pulled" or the "servers go down" I still have a complete game while they don't.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

And those "limited run" style games are at the 2-5x cost of the digital version. So sure, go ahead and pay $40 for a $10 eShop game if you really need to feel good about "owning" it.
I said exactly that - some games have issues at launch. Bloodstained is perfectly fine off the disc on PS4 and Xbox BTW. The Switch version is pretty bad but that's not the norm.

What's up with the attitude? Why do you feel the need to act so condescending? Read that last paragraph you wrote. What is the purpose of basically telling me that my choices are shit and acting as if you've found the superior way? That's how it comes off.

It's an interesting discussion to me that close to my heart but you're ready to take that tone. Disappointing. If you're ready to not act as if I'm an idiot, let us continue.

I understand where you're coming from and a lot of games do have issues but it's not the majority. Patches usually aren't critical.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I said exactly that - some games have issues at launch. Bloodstained is perfectly fine off the disc on PS4 and Xbox BTW. The Switch version is pretty bad but that's not the norm.

What's up with the attitude? Why do you feel the need to act so condescending? Read that last paragraph you wrote. What is the purpose of basically telling me that my choices are shit and acting as if you've found the superior way? That's how it comes off.

It's an interesting discussion to me that close to my heart but you're ready to take that tone. Disappointing. If you're ready to not act as if I'm an idiot, let us continue.

I understand where you're coming from and a lot of games do have issues but it's not the majority. Patches usually aren't critical.

You've given that poster so much more credit than they deserve (based on how I see them act elsewhere), and it reflects incredibly well on you. Thanks for your contributions to this community.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You've given that poster so much more credit than they deserve (based on how I see them act elsewhere), and it reflects incredibly well on you. Thanks for your contributions to this community.

Please. Too many people slam anything digital and look for any excuse to claim how evil it is. Just look at this thread.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Please. Too many people slam anything digital and look for any excuse to claim how evil it is. Just look at this thread.
So it's OK to basically suggest that people who collect physical games are wasting their time because you don't like it then?

I mean, I understand exactly why people would enjoy digital games and even streaming. It's not for me, but I understand it and I'm not going to belittle someone for their choices as you do.

I'm fighting against it to ensure that I can continue to buy games physically but I don't want to see digital disappear or anything. We should have choices.

I do NOT believe, however, that discs and carts today are all worthless. Your implication that everything is broken and worthless without patches is simply not correct - it's only true for a small percentage. You're telling yourself this to prop up your choices while belittling others. That's really not very nice.

Absolutely nothing wrong with choosing digital, though, and nobody is an idiot for doing so (unless you went all digital on the Wii U or something - but that's an exception).

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.

Plus, most games, even delisted ones, will still update just fine. That will suck when those services go down, but considering services like PSN and XBL will be around for a while, and plus with the extensive BC efforts with Xbox, that will probably not be for some time. And plus, when it does happen, like you said, the vast majority are still perfectly fine. Heck some have advantageous bugs lol (I believe Forza Horizon 2 has an infinite money glitch for example that's stupid easy to do. I know for sure on 360 it does).

It definitely sucks, but they're not gone.

I do wish more games had LAN support for multiplayer though :( Lots of games I'd love to play after servers got taken down.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
So it's OK to basically suggest that people who collect physical games are wasting their time because you don't like it then?

I mean, I understand exactly why people would enjoy digital games and even streaming. It's not for me, but I understand it and I'm not going to belittle someone for their choices as you do.

I'm fighting against it to ensure that I can continue to buy games physically but I don't want to see digital disappear or anything. We should have choices.

I do NOT believe, however, that discs and carts today are all worthless. Your implication that everything is broken and worthless without patches is simply not correct - it's only true for a small percentage. You're telling yourself this to prop up your choices while belittling others. That's really not very nice.

Absolutely nothing wrong with choosing digital, though, and nobody is an idiot for doing so (unless you went all digital on the Wii U or something - but that's an exception).
*looks around nervously with my mostly digital Wii U library*
I've made mistakes in the past...

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is any way someone could convince me to go all digital on a Nintendo console, not with their history of bullshit involving the internet.

Yeah, I tried to keep my digital Ninty spend as low as possible on the Wii/U, but the Switch is just so convenient to buy games for that I now have a pretty sizeable library...

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
My main problem with physical games is limited amount of copies on the market, which is only going to go down over time, because all physical media will eventually perish. While that's rarely an issue with the more popular titles, a lot of gems from the past eventually become very hard to get, especially if you're one of those people, like me, who much prefer to get all of their games new and still sealed (I have bad experiences with used games). And if you do manage to find them, they'll often be prohibitively expensive. That's not only an issue with really old games, some titles - like Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets for Xbox 360 - become crazy expensive just years or even months after their release. And limited run releases that have become so popular during this generation are often quite pricey to get as soon as you miss their launches. Even if you're making certain that no release slips under your radar, sometimes interesting games get launched so close to one another that you simply can't afford to get all of them at launch, and then they become more expensive, and sometimes hard to get.

Those are all huge problems for me, and digital distribution solves that handily. Of course, it comes with its own set of issues...

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
My main problem with physical games is limited amount of copies on the market, which is only going to go down over time, because all physical media will eventually perish. While that's rarely an issue with the more popular titles, a lot of gems from the past eventually become very hard to get, especially if you're one of those people, like me, who much prefer to get all of their games new and still sealed (I have bad experiences with used games). And if you do manage to find them, they'll often be prohibitively expensive. That's not only an issue with really old games, some titles - like Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets for Xbox 360 - become crazy expensive just years or even months after their release. And limited run releases that have become so popular during this generation are often quite pricey to get as soon as you miss their launches. Even if you're making certain that no release slips under your radar, sometimes interesting games get launched so close to one another that you simply can't afford to get all of them at launch, and then they become more expensive, and sometimes hard to get.

Those are all huge problems for me, and digital distribution solves that handily. Of course, it comes with its own set of issues...

For a lot of people the idea of game preservation seems to be related to having just a few people having rare games behind a self. As you mentioned, if a physical game is released today, it will only get more difficult to find as time passes. We should all push for the digital method of preservation where as much people as possible actually get to access and play the games. Eventually I expect for a solution that allows people that have licensed games that are no longer sold on the digital store, to sell them to other users.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
For a lot of people the idea of game preservation seems to be related to having just a few people having rare games behind a self. As you mentioned, if a physical game is released today, it will only get more difficult to find as time passes. We should all push for the digital method of preservation where as much people as possible actually get to access and play the games. Eventually I expect for a solution that allows people that have licensed games that are no longer sold on the digital store, to sell them to other users.

An idea form of digital ownership would be great but the world we live in is one where Sony can ban you because you didn't want to eat a $200 fraudulent charge on your PSN account. Until we get to a spot where consumers have much greater rights then it's not something everyone's going to be comfortable with.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I have them installed and played them earlier. If i delete, i cant redownload them? Aside from drm and lack of online, is there performance or resolution boosts over the xbla versions?

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
An idea form of digital ownership would be great but the world we live in is one where Sony can ban you because you didn't want to eat a $200 fraudulent charge on your PSN account. Until we get to a spot where consumers have much greater rights then it's not something everyone's going to be comfortable with.

Can you share the link for that particular example? I believe that at some point there will be a solution for the licensed games that are removed from Digital stores, that is a matter of when, not if. Those laws are designed for a physical era and everyone would benefit if they are made more flexible.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Can you share the link for that particular example? I believe that at some point there will be a solution for the licensed games that are removed from Digital stores, that is a matter of when, not if. Those laws are designed for a physical era and everyone would benefit if they are made more flexible.

It happened often if chargebacks were needed in the pre-2FA Sony days but you don't see as much not that people can finally lock down their accounts. Of course that matter was exacerbated by Sony's pathetic support.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
What percentage would you say it happened, out of the millions of accounts?

What is your objective here? Are you just here to defend digital?

I agreed with you that consumers needed more rights. Right now if you have a dispute with Sony and for any reason need to use your credit card's protections (ie charge back) then they will ban you. You lose your entire library over 1 current transaction gone wrong.

The thing that has changed is that after years, Sony FINALLY put 2FA in place. That will greatly reduce the incidence of this type of thing, but we all know that some aren't as savvy and won't utilize it.

I've had my own first hand experiences with Sony's support. I've needed them twice and they've helped me zero times. I gave both cases a second try and still got no resolution. My issues were SIMPLE pack-in DLC codes that didn't work and they wouldn't sort it out (brand new day 1 games, not old ones).

The bottom line is that your digital content is at the whim of a third party. It's not about percentages but about policy.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
What is your objective here? Are you just here to defend digital?

I agreed with you that consumers needed more rights. Right now if you have a dispute with Sony and for any reason need to use your credit card's protections (ie charge back) then they will ban you. You lose your entire library over 1 current transaction gone wrong.

The thing that has changed is that after years, Sony FINALLY put 2FA in place. That will greatly reduce the incidence of this type of thing, but we all know that some aren't as savvy and won't utilize it.

I've had my own first hand experiences with Sony's support. I've needed them twice and they've helped me zero times. I gave both cases a second try and still got no resolution. My issues were SIMPLE pack-in DLC codes that didn't work and they wouldn't sort it out (brand new day 1 games, not old ones).

The bottom line is that your digital content is at the whim of a third party. It's not about percentages but about policy.

You said it was something common, I just asked a follow up question to see what was your perception and what is your criteria to call something common.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You said it was something common, I just asked a follow up question to see what was your perception and what is your criteria to call something common.

You won't get a response. The physical collectors love to use a few small case uses as proof digital is terrible. When you try and explain they essentially have beta versions on their carts/discs they get really upset. It's a losing battle. Next gen when nearly everything requires an download to even play it will get even worse. But like they said that's "when I will stop being a gamer". Which we know is BS because here they are, posting on a game-centric forum.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
You won't get a response. The physical collectors love to use a few small case uses as proof digital is terrible. When you try and explain they essentially have beta versions on their carts/discs they get really upset. It's a losing battle. Next gen when nearly everything requires an download to even play it will get even worse. But like they said that's "when I will stop being a gamer". Which we know is BS because here they are, posting on a game-centric forum.

I honestly don't care a lot if someone decides to buy their games in physical format. The discussion I want to have is if physical games will stop existing at some point or not. Games that are only released in digital format only, physical games that are launched incomplete and depend on the internet to download the update, how every year digital distribution takes out of the percentage of physical game sales, the explosion that is about to happen with cloud gaming services, should all be clues that point to what will happen in the future. I do think it's childish when people say that they will stop playing games if digital or cloud gaming become the only way to play. It sounds more like an empty threat to me. I'm yet to find a physical only gamer that would say that they would reject their top 10 games if they would have released in digital format only.

Last edited:

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there is any way someone could convince me to go all digital on a Nintendo console, not with their history of bullshit involving the internet.
I liked the idea of having all of my games on my console, so I went mostly digital with the Wii U and 3DS. I wisened up near the end, buying all of my games physical once I realized how bad of a deal it was. With Nintendo closing the Wii shop, I can't redownload my VC games, and once they do the same to the Wii U (it'll happen for sure) then I'll lose access to dozens of Wii U retail and VC games. Same for the 3DS, not to mention every digital game on both systems is tied to that console, so if I ever lose them or Nintendo decides to stop repairing them, I'm SOL. Nintendo is the worst company to go digital for since they aren't committed to preserving your purchases cross-platform like, say, Microsoft.

I won't be buying any more Nintendo games digital since the Switch shop will likely close down one day too.

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
Going all digital for 3DS was a huge hassle for me.SD card slot stopped working on the OG 3DS and had to call Nintendo to transfer all the games over the the new 3DS. Now my new 3DS is broken again and I am too lazy to call them. Should've just went physical so I could've just traded all my games in when I swapped to Switch.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I liked the idea of having all of my games on my console, so I went mostly digital with the Wii U and 3DS. I wisened up near the end, buying all of my games physical once I realized how bad of a deal it was. With Nintendo closing the Wii shop, I can't redownload my VC games, and once they do the same to the Wii U (it'll happen for sure) then I'll lose access to dozens of Wii U retail and VC games. Same for the 3DS, not to mention every digital game on both systems is tied to that console, so if I ever lose them or Nintendo decides to stop repairing them, I'm SOL. Nintendo is the worst company to go digital for since they aren't committed to preserving your purchases cross-platform like, say, Microsoft.

I won't be buying any more Nintendo games digital since the Switch shop will likely close down one day too.

Even Nintendo has made progress on this and I don't expect for progress to stop there.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

As someone who played through the entirety of Bloodstained on Switch, unplayable garbage is a huge exaggeration. Despite the issues the port has, which I'm not denying, the game is perfectly playable from start to finish. Spare us the hyperbole