• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Ok, so I popped in my Doom 3 BFG disc in and can confirm that it prompted me to download all 3 games

since i previously bought Doom digitally, I was able to play that without the disc inserted but for the rest I had to have it in

The video game preservationist in me is very happy right now, thank you for testing!

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
So many of these posts, but I think just vilifying digital is an over-simplification. The focus should be on asking these companies not to do this kind of shitty stuff, not on writing off all digital delivery of media. Nobody is going out and buying a physical copy of Doom and Doom II Classic.

The point is that companies want you to think you only own a license to said game, meaning they can revoke it at will and tell you to piss off. Buy the new, inferior release if you want to keep playing.

They can't do that with a physical copy of the game.

This is why the streaming future is a horrible idea for consumers. There's nothing to preserve.

This being said, I'm really hoping this is a case of miscommunication.

Oct 25, 2017
Just for clarification: it disappeared from my ready to install list so no redownloading

Dat all digital future! You don't own shit, and they can take it away from you whenever they feel like and keep the money. And even if they don't, eventually the store/service inevitably goes down. All Digital is not consumer friendly.

Between this and the new ports requiring an online account to even start....someone check Don Mattrick's linkedin. He may have a new job.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I can't even find Doom BC games through xbox search WTF Bethesda ? Yep, the games are gone from the store completely atm.

Last edited:

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
So many of these posts, but I think just vilifying digital is an over-simplification. The focus should be on asking these companies not to do this kind of shitty stuff, not on writing off all digital delivery of media. Nobody is going out and buying a physical copy of Doom and Doom II Classic.
This fear wouldn't even be possible without the digital infrastructure, though. That this is possible, even if it turns out to be a mistake on the part of the store management team, is something I and others find striking.

It doesn't negate the benefits of digital libraries, but it is very much a consequence of them.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017

I wholeheartedly disagree - the focus should be on making it impossible for companies to exert this kind of control over purchases. And I certainly would buy a physical copy. I can't tell you the number of times I've picked up a physical release if it released after the digital version or if I found a steep discount on a disc copy of a game I already had digitally.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I wholeheartedly disagree - the focus should be on making it impossible for companies to exert this kind of control over purchases. And I certainly would buy a physical copy. I can't tell you the number of times I've picked up a physical release if it released after the digital version or if I found a steep discount on a disc copy of a game I already had digitally.
The fact that we've had little community-wide panics over stuff like this and Minecraft Story Mode recently (whether you think is warranted or not) makes me inclined to agree. There needs to be firmer, visible safeguards in place; maybe in the terms and conditions of using the store (guarantees over your right to access) and messaging to reinforce that status. Surely both those worried about these events and those telling the first group to calm the fuck down would be amiable to that.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
focus should be on calling for regulation to prevent companies from being able to do this kind of shitty stuff, not on just asking them not to

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I own a physical copy of Doom 3 BFG. I've got the digital versions already installed, and have no plans to delete them, but it's nice knowing I have a viable backup.

Removing them from your download list is unacceptable though. If it doesn't get resolved then I think I'm done buying from Bethesda.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

Has this ever happened before on Xbox Live?

You used to be able for a very short period put Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection in an XBOX One and you'd get the 360 versions of Sonic 1-3 & the forever ago delisted version of Golden Axe. Somebody was supposed to do something about that and it never happened.

Every time shit like this happens I look at my pile of physical media and smile like a smug douchebag.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is clearly an error, probably related to the BC aspect w/ delisting process. Hopefully MS gets it sorted quickly

If this was just some error, it wouldn't have affected both PS3 and Xbox systems.

According to this thread PS3 is unaffected, looks like only Doom 3 on PS3 has been delisted

EDIT: Yep I just bought Doom Classic Complete on PS3

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this is an error, because that really sucks.

I'd never delete the Doom games from my Xbox because they're so small and I play them frequently, but man... I paid for this shit!

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This *just* went live on Xbox Marketplace:

Can anyone who own(ed) Doom II on XB360 see if they can claim that download for free, and/or if it lists as "owned" ? Either way, it sure DOES look like they removed the new levels that launched on the 360 version of Doom II, woof.

Still looking for Doom 1 Classic...

EDIT: Doom 1 Classic is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/doom-1993/9plzphbnhtmf?activetab=pivot:overviewtab ... if you were affected and can check whether that's "owned" or "free" for you, lmk.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the game was released on Xbox One, so they yanked the BC version to force sales. If it doesn't come back, this is a new precedent for grimy sales practices for old games.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Can anyone who own(ed) Doom II on XB360 see if they can claim that download for free, and/or if it lists as "owned" ?

Says "Buy" and "4.99" for me.

I just tried clicking buy to see if the message would change (it's done this for me before once or twice) and it just goes through the buying process.

edit:same with the Doom 1 link.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017

Can anyone who own(ed) Doom II on XB360 see if they can claim that download for free, and/or if it lists as "owned" ? Either way, it sure DOES look like they removed the new levels that launched on the 360 version of Doom II, woof.

Nope, I own Doom and Doom 2 classic and it says buy for 4.99.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is bad. If they want to yank the 360 version and have everyone buy the Bone version, that's fine.

But removing the game from the libraries of people that already bought it is downright scummy.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This is bad. If they want to yank the 360 version and have everyone buy the Bone version, that's fine.
Yeah, I mean that still sucks, but that kinda happens with PC games sometimes. Like when the Bulletstorm remaster came out they yanked the old one from sale, but I can still play it and download it from steam. It's happened to other games too, I think.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
This is clearly an error, probably related to the BC aspect w/ delisting process. Hopefully MS gets it sorted quickly

According to this thread PS3 is unaffected, looks like only Doom 3 on PS3 has been delisted
PS3 is affected, as Richter1887 has stated. On the European store, the listing has vanished, and following a (what was previously viable) link from its psprices page leads to a page not found error.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP1003-NPEB01014_00-DOOMCOMPLETEPACK

I would assume there's a possibility other regions will follow.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 is affected, as Richter1887 has stated. On the European store, the listing has vanished, and following a (what was previously viable) link from its psprices page leads to a page not found error.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP1003-NPEB01014_00-DOOMCOMPLETEPACK

I would assume there's a possibility the US store will follow.

That's a shame, if you have a USA account (or make one really quick) it's still available for $15. I literally followed the link on the front page and was able to buy

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

EDIT: Doom 1 Classic is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/doom-1993/9plzphbnhtmf?activetab=pivot:overviewtab ... if you were affected and can check whether that's "owned" or "free" for you, lmk.

They both say Buy (6.49 CAD) for me. I own the backwards compatible versions as well.

Damn, looks like Bethesda pulled the BC versions.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Xbox operate in a way to support your historic digital purchases as long as possible.

Must be a stuff up in the process, would be good to hear word front MS, even if they are just looking into it.

majornelson ?

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm I'm confused.

My Xbox 360 copies of Doom I and Doom II are still installed but I see the Leaderboards and playing Mulitplayer options are blacked out for the first Doom.

That's really lame. Apparently, when I inserted the Doom 3 bfg edition a few years back I didn't have my og copy of Doom I installed so it installed the new licesnse, this removing my ability to ever play Online mp again. Fucking weak.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

I don't own it and used to have both Doom 1 and 2 digitally on 360/One BC. Both games are also gone from my ready to install list.

Did they not understand why some of us were so concerned, when they wanted to implement online DRM at the beginning of the generation? It was about ownership and fear of not having access to the games we've purchased. Are they straight up removing games from our accounts now or is this a mistake?

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, got my 360 Doom 3 BFG disc waiting at home along with my Quake 4 (plus Quake 2 1080p version) 360 discs.
Yeah, I'll never get rid of my 360 version of Quake 2, lol

Also, WTF's this all about?
Bethesda.net account required.
If anything, I hope that's just for multiplayer...

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
That sucks, i was contemplating buying Doom 2, because i love the Doom 1 port on 360. I hope i can still buy Doom 2 via the xbox 360.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'll never get rid of my 360 version of Quake 2, lol

Also, WTF's this all about?

If anything, I hope that's just for multiplayer...
You're required to sign in to Bethesda.net the first time you start the game. You have to sign in at least one time to play at all. It's bullshit.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017