• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
In the last couple of months, Smartglass especially seems like it straight up doesn't want to work for me. The most egregious errors happen trying to access a friend's message. I try to play the videos sent and without fail, 100% of the time now, the whole app crashes. Previously, I'd have to reload and then I'd get what I'm wanting. Now? Fucked. So I go to the Xbox proper app, with Game Pass and all that. Go through a few more clicks to get to messages than the previous app, but it's fine. Get to the videos and nothing but sad face symbols where the videos should be. Reload...same thing. What.

Installing games has had its own set of issues now and then as well. The latest was Gears Tactics. I downloaded 3/4ths of the game and then I come back and it has stalled with an error message. No picking up where I left off. I had to delete it and do the whole thing over. I don't have very fast internet, so it's extra aggravating in those cases. There's more hiccups here and there, but they are more minor overall. I'm wondering if others have these issues as well, or am I missing updates to these things? Just feels extra borked recently.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Smartglass was still a thing in 2020. Genuinely thought it was replaced by something else?

The Gamepass app is nice when it works for me, but have the time I have to reboot my PC before I can get it to actually open and display anything.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They are tbh, I don't know why there's 4 apps that do the same thing either.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Make sure you keep the app updated in the Microsoft Store and the Game Services "app" updated as well. I never run into any issues by doing this.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not sure what MS is doing. Their PC offering has been great regarding games and Game Pass. But the apps and the store are just horrible.

You've got
- Xbox (beta)
- Microsoft Store
- Xbox Companion App
- Xbox Insider App
- Xbox Avatar Creator
- Xbox Smartglass
and we'll get an xCloud App soon.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah there's a reason why I have Gears 5 on the MS store and on Steam, and it's not because I wanted to buy the game for a second time. It's because all of Microsoft's xbox pc efforts have been broken.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I'm at the store and I can't seem to find where I'd find updates. Feeling real dumb here.

rcrDW26.png

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what MS is doing. Their PC offering has been great regarding games and Game Pass. But the apps and the store are just horrible.

You've got
- Xbox (beta)
- Microsoft Store
- Xbox Companion App
- Xbox Insider App
- Xbox Avatar Creator
- Xbox Smartglass

Yeah it's extremely confusing that the beta app does not do streaming functionality (from Xbox to PC). I spent like an hour figuring out oh I need the companion app.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I criticise the Xbox beta app on here I get piled on by weird diehard gamepass fans. My experience with gamepass has been a broken mess from the start and the only reason I keep it is cheap games. I also enjoy reading "solutions" when I google which basically involve freshly installing windows.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Every time I criticise the Xbox beta app on here I get piled on by weird diehard gamepass fans. My experience with gamepass has been a broken mess from the start and the only reason I keep it is cheap games. I also enjoy reading "solutions" when I google which basically involve freshly installing windows.

I am a 'Game Pass fan' and think Microsoft's applications and store backbone are broken as hell.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad thing is it's been in beta for like 2+ years. Gears 4 came out what 2016? And the store is still shit, and the way games install are still shit.

Yeah, having undeleteable windows folders on all my drives is also annoying as hell. Like come on MS I shouldn't need to do a regedit to get rid of your stupid Xbox beta windows folders.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having slow download speeds through the Store and Game Pass apps?

I have 500 down, no issues on Steam, PSN or even my iPhone and iPad. Everything on the Windows Store and Game Pass app just takes an age to download.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Smart Glass? I thought they stopped supporting that in favor of console companion. It has been years since it was removed from iOS and Android.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
It truly feels like no one at Microsoft actually uses any of the Xbox PC stuff. Incredible to me that it's not really improved at all over time, as well. Content is one thing, but if it's busted then it doesn't matter. They need to start again with an AIO Xbox app, but I doubt they even care that much tbh.

OP
OP
Yerffej

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Smartglass just isn't doing what it's supposed to and crashes so fuck that. It was working as of a couple of months ago fine. Better than the Xbox ( beta) app. Now the beta app videos are playing, but if you try to fullscreen it, the pause/play buttons stay up in the middle of the screen no matter what you do. smh. Oh well, at least I can see them now. Took updating and then a restart of the computer to take effect...

C'mon, MS. You've made huge strides elsewhere.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I suspect the Xbox team is working on an AIO Xbox app for launch alongside Xbox Series X/S, because as of right now, even with the rebranded Xbox (beta) app, the back-end is still tied to the Windows Store, which just doesn't seem competent enough to handle the large downloads with reliability.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I suspect the Xbox team is working on an AIO Xbox app for launch alongside Xbox Series X/S, because as of right now, even with the rebranded Xbox (beta) app, the back-end is still tied to the Windows Store, which just doesn't seem competent enough to handle the large downloads with reliability.

Sometimes I wonder if they intentionally make bad software over and over so that people get annoyed and just buy an Xbox instead.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

You've got
- Xbox (beta)
- Microsoft Store
- Xbox Companion App
- Xbox Insider App
- Xbox Avatar Creator
- Xbox Smartglass

I love gamepass on PC but this is such a mess. I understand that you don't want to alienate people that never update their stuff and keep using your apps for years and years even after they have been "killed" (anyone working IT anywhere knows what I'm talking about) but the Xbox apps was the perfect opportunity to take over and make one cohesive product. I'll never understand who's in charge of this decisions.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Ya it's bad. I've only really had 4 or so problems with installing games but it's pretty annoying each time. But even if the app sucks, it's still worth it for the volume and quality of games offered.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for this little bump and slightly off topic(?) post, but I need some advice.

We want to play Minecraft Dungeons tomorrow, was going to get on ps4 but a gamepass trial for ÂŁ1 seems a better bet first just to make sure we like it.

I installed xbox (beta) app on my PC as the gamepass site suggested. When I click to sign in all I get is a long pause then a grey box with no content that I can only close with the [X] box. I've got 2 xbox accounts, but can't find a way to sign in with either to buy gamepass. Any tips?

I've got a droid phone and tablet I could maybe sign in and purchase on, but I don't then want to be stuck still being unable to sign in on my PC where I'd be playing the game.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 doesn't even load for me any more. It's been that way for the last month and no amount of reinstalls, resets, registry tweaking or driver updates has fixed it. Searching online I found people who've had the same issue for over 6 months with no fix forthcoming. Stating well clear of buying any games from the MS store in future.

Oct 26, 2017

You've got
- Xbox (beta)
- Microsoft Store
- Xbox Companion App
- Xbox Insider App
- Xbox Avatar Creator
- Xbox Smartglass
Hah, you forgot Xbox Companion App - beta

Speaking of which, that is the one I use the most, party chat mostly works on it. Friends list kind of doesn't. And messages really don't. But that's true of the entire fucking Windows lineup and the Android app for good measure. Total effin' garbo..

So I used the beta companion app a lot because it had a feature that let you upload your PC clips. Well, after a few years of using it, uploading probably over a hundred clips, maybe 3 slipped through that had some profanity that I forgot to bleep in editing software. And the first two times the enforcement action was just to take the video down (as it never got publically viewable anyway, since it seems the review them first which btw can take a really annoyingly long fucking time when I'm just trying to share a 30 second clip with friends).

But after the third time I now get this shit trying to upload a clip...

uygJGSf.png

And it's been like 3+ months so... I guess I'm just permabanned from the feature. Though then again like many things in the Windows/Xbox ecosystem it seems abandoned as it's been a "beta" feature for like 3+ years now and never moved to the normal companion app (not that it was called 'companion' when it became a feature).

Cool. I mean it's ok that you have mixer streams with people dropping profanity left and right right on your dashboard but god forbid I upload one f-bomb that's only going to be viewed by me and my boomer friends.

The sad thing is that some of the apps actually have pretty cool feature sets they just don't bother fixing any of the bugs, and then move on to a brand new shiny app that also has many of the same problems and manages to lose useful features along the way.

How the fuck do you not manage to get a reliable messaging app over the course of like 10 fucking years... I mean shit, didn't they find anything useful in Skype's code when they bought that? I wrote a better messaging app 20 years ago in school than this crap.

I wish they would just let Discord put an app on Xbox as it's streets ahead when it comes to doing the actual job that Microsoft purports to do with their gaggle of trash apps and services.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

You've got
- Xbox (beta)
- Microsoft Store
- Xbox Companion App
- Xbox Insider App
- Xbox Avatar Creator
- Xbox Smartglass
There's also Xbox Accessories, the tool for changing Xbox One controller settings and such.

I would love to see a more unified experience in Windows 10. You can tell they're very invested in the PC-space these days, but I really hope they manage to deal with all of this soon.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Every time I criticise the Xbox beta app on here I get piled on by weird diehard gamepass fans
I subscribed to the Game Pass, too, but the Xbox App is trash. And I rarely use that term because in most scenarios people throw that around it's not true and merely "bad". But this app... there was never anything like this giving me so many problems.

Just the most recent one: Wanted to install a 300mb game, Plebby Quest, and it wouldn't start to download. I tried to pause and re-start the download, nothing. I tried to cancel the download, nothing. The game would be kept in my list, still showing "downloading" but doing nothing. Even restarting the app wouldn't help and I had to reboot my PC. Okay, just a minor inconvenience you would think. Right.

But here comes the real caveat with the philosophy MS is going with their app (sorry for a probably long story but it illustrates my point perfectly):
A while ago, I had plenty and big games installed with the Xbox app (via Game Pass). For a different reason I had to re-install my Windows 10 copy fresh. Now, while most other apps like the Blizzard launcher, Origin, uPlay and Steam can find already existent game files on your PC, the Xbox app can't do that. So I had like 200gb of game files locked on my drive and I couldn't do jackshit with it because

a) it was still locked and Windows refused access and
b) the app isn't intelligent enough to find them.

I thought I could simply choose the same drive for installation and it recognise the games and I could install the new files over the old ones. How naive. The app simply told me: "Can't install there because there are already files there." You don't say...

So, I couldn't uninstall the games properly because the app didn't recognise them properly. I couldn't manually delete them because the files were still locked. I couldn't tell the app: they are right there, just add them to your registry or whatever the fuck you have to do to recognise them.

I ended up spending a whole afternoon brute-force deleting the files that caused a big mess afterwards: my recycle bin was corrupted and the files I manually deleted kept stuck in my recycle bin. Everytime I then wanted to delete anything on my drive Windows said "the recycle bin is corrupted" and if I wanted to empty it. When I said yes, I saw some files like S-1-5-21-1529280307-886459329-2985649333-1001 but I couldn't delete them. It said "unspecified error." The files literally stuck in a limbo with Windows not being able to delete them. When I wanted to delete them via console it said: "The system cannot find the path specified" or "Access denied" despite the files being there (not visibly via the user interface/explorer, but the rd /s command via console showed me that files are still there.)

I ended up with formating the partition where the old game files were on. Thanks for nothing, trash software.

If everything goes smoothly, as always, it's great. It works. But as soon as something goes wrong it really goes wrong. I mean, there isn't even a function to check the file integrity or to move your game folders to a different drive. You can't scan for existing games. What kind of persons develop this without thinking of fundamental functions in regards of gaming?

Game Pass is one thing, the app is another. And as long as the app works the way it does at the moment I won't buy a single game via the app or keep subscribing for more than the 1 EUR they often offer me.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I could simply choose the same drive for installation and it recognise the games and I could install the new files over the old ones. How naive. The app simply told me: "Can't install there because there are already files there." You don't say...
Could be wrong but IIRC the app actually DOES recognize already installed games, the problem is the check happens kinda after initiating the download so to start it you must have the space for the game free, initiate the download, it recognizes the old install and just verifies the files. Could be wrong or it could have changed in the past 5 years. Anyway it is still dumb and badly implemented.

GP is a nice service but the delivery (at least on Windows) of anything official by MS is abysmal.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I remember once I had an issue with Halo MCC Game Pass Pc not launching via the Xbox (Beta) app, but it did launch through the console companion app.

I've avoided the nightmare issues with Microsoft PC offerings some have reported but it's still been a bit rocky.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, had to go on YouTube to find a way to launch Streets of Rage 4 gamepass ( grab and shake lol), they need to step up on the pc front

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Could be wrong but IIRC the app actually DOES recognize already installed games, the problem is the check happens kinda after initiating the download so to start it you must have the space for the game free, initiate the download, it recognizes the old install and just verifies the files. Could be wrong or it could have changed in the past 5 years. Anyway it is still dumb and badly implemented.
This makes sense and it's how for example the Rockstar app/launcher works. The thing with the Xbox app is though that you have to set installation drives on a system level (System -> Storage -> Change where new content is saved) you only then can choose the drive within the app. And it was at the system level where Windows stopped me because it said "This drive has apps from another device. At first you have to delete these apps. Continue?" and then it failed because only the Xbox app can delete files.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Once I had 2 full installs of Metro Exodus because the app created a new folder after an update. I had to erase everything because W10 won't allow me touch the folder