• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Hey everyone, sorry to bump an older thread but figured this would be the best place to ask.

I can't seem to figure out how to move already installed games. When I go to install a game on the new xbox pc app I have a choice of where to move it, however after installed there is no way for me to access that menu/setting.

I hit the three little dots next to the game under manage installations but there is only an option to uninstall... Am I missing something?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, sorry to bump an older thread but figured this would be the best place to ask.

I can't seem to figure out how to move already installed games. When I go to install a game on the new xbox pc app I have a choice of where to move it, however after installed there is no way for me to access that menu/setting.

I hit the three little dots next to the game under manage installations but there is only an option to uninstall... Am I missing something?
Have to use Apps & Features tab in general windows settings.
Copy pasting this in the web browser might bring it up
ms-settings:appsfeatures

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Update to all 3 services on Insider - External Preview. Halo Campaign will be the first install in a while for me, hopefully no issues.

2112.1001.9.0 (Xbox App)
3.60.2001.0 (Gaming Services)
5.721.12013.0 (Xbox Game Bar)

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Ran into my first issue, but also was surprised that I was able to pretty easily work my my way out of it. State of Decay 2 said there was an update available, but would just hang and now download anything. I thought this was the uh oh moment where everything would break. I was able too uninstall the game, and all of my space frees up. I decided to test downloading the game again, to the same drive and folder, which is where I really thought things would go sideways. Much to my surprise it redownloaded without issue. I figured this would be where I saw all sorts of problems and where the database would end up corrupted, but so far everything seems fine for now at least.

Dasnap

Apr 19, 2021
Ran into my first issue, but also was surprised that I was able to pretty easily work my my way out of it. State of Decay 2 said there was an update available, but would just hang and now download anything. I thought this was the uh oh moment where everything would break. I was able too uninstall the game, and all of my space frees up. I decided to test downloading the game again, to the same drive and folder, which is where I really thought things would go sideways. Much to my surprise it redownloaded without issue. I figured this would be where I saw all sorts of problems and where the database would end up corrupted, but so far everything seems fine for now at least.

The good thing with these installs now is that it avoids the 'lost disk space' issue with uninstalls. Worst comes to worst, you can just delete the install directory.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The good thing with these installs now is that it avoids the 'lost disk space' issue with uninstalls. Worst comes to worst, you can just delete the install directory.
Yeah that's where I thought I was going with this, but the uninstall from within the app and then reinstalling actually seemingly worked as intended. By no means in it perfect, but at least being able to nuke the directory and not worry about losing drive space eliminates my largest concern with Game Pass on PC.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I do still wonder if this is meant to let me do anything I want with these files. Somehow managed to fix an issue so *some* games appear in the Radeon/Adrenalin graphics profiler thing, but not everything does... only FH5 and maybe one or two other games.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
So is this live already? I stopped using gamepass because of lost hdd space but I'm considering resubscribing now

coracina

Jul 6, 2018
Can anyone help? I have a fresh Windows 10 install and have tried to set this up to install to a specific folder, but now when I try and install anything I just get an error message. Even if I disable the choose a specific folder option, I still can't install anything. I've tried reinstalling the Xbox app but it still gives the error message.

Edit: It seems the only way it lets me install anything is on C without choosing a specific folder. What is the point of this then? Useless.

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'd be fine if Gamepass PC would actually, you know, work. As intended.

Anyone have an actual working solution for 0x803f8001?
Installed on a new PC, login works fine, downloads work fine, region settings are correct from what I can see, yet still I can't play a single game I'm paying for. The internet, as you can imagine, is absolutely no help, since this error apparenly is not only the same id on PC and console, it's also extremely unspecific.

jesus christ. Randomly clicking "synchronize time/date" fixed it.
I swear, one of these days..

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'd be fine if Gamepass PC would actually, you know, work. As intended.

Anyone have an actual working solution for 0x803f8001?
Installed on a new PC, login works fine, downloads work fine, region settings are correct from what I can see, yet still I can't play a single game I'm paying for. The internet, as you can imagine, is absolutely no help, since this error apparenly is not only the same id on PC and console, it's also extremely unspecific.

jesus christ. Randomly clicking "synchronize time/date" fixed it.
I swear, one of these days..
I think I have a grasp on why that fixed it for you. 0x803f8001 from the looks of things is an account permissions error of some kind (based on the context of anybody reporting this error from anything Microsoft service related). One of the things that affects account permissions, albeit indirectly, is encryption certificate authentication the encryption handshake*. And one of the things that affects that is time, a very essential component to encryption. If your clock is wrong, encryption can't work, which can then manifest all the way up as a permissions failure.

Always checking if the clock is sync as a troubleshooting step is a reasonable step in just about anything internet related.

*Edit: Not certificate authentication, all that would do is tell you the certs expired. The encryption handshake itself, which is more time sensitive and can have a window of a few hours to just minutes depending on the implementation. And the fun part with this one is it can't even tell you the clock is wrong, the handshake is implicit that the clock is already correct in the first place.

Last edited:

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I think I have a grasp on why that fixed it for you. 0x803f8001 from the looks of things is an account permissions error of some kind (based on the context of anybody reporting this error from anything Microsoft service related). One of the things that affects account permissions, albeit indirectly, is encryption certificate authentication. And one of the things that affects that is time, a very essential component to encryption. If your clock is wrong, encryption can't work, which can then manifest all the way up as a permissions failure.

Always checking if the clock is sync as a troubleshooting step is a reasonable step in just about anything internet related.

Something that is often ignored, yeah. NTP stops working and your clock skews enough, that basically breaks TLS and other cryptographic security.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think I have a grasp on why that fixed it for you. 0x803f8001 from the looks of things is an account permissions error of some kind (based on the context of anybody reporting this error from anything Microsoft service related). One of the things that affects account permissions, albeit indirectly, is encryption certificate authentication the encryption handshake*. And one of the things that affects that is time, a very essential component to encryption. If your clock is wrong, encryption can't work, which can then manifest all the way up as a permissions failure.

*Edit: Not certificate authentication, all that would do is tell you the certs expired. The encryption handshake itself, which is more time sensitive and can have a window of a few hours to just minutes depending on the implementation. And the fun part with this one is it can't even tell you the clock is wrong, the handshake is implicit that the clock is already correct in the first place.
That does make sense, absolutely. It was still pure luck to find it and in like 25 years of internet that was still a first to me.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
kinda hate how gamepass has become my go to on pc these days. a brittle service that's messed with game installs and required I do maintenance so many times.... but dat value.

something i still find so confusing, beyond weird bugs and stuff I need to google and run random powershell scripts to fix, is why to update stuff I still have to open the windows store app and the Xbox app doesn't even mention anything when you click update and it does nothing... just says admin privileges req'd. but I started you as admin ;_;

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
My main issues with GamePass right now is that it refuse to download updates automatically even if I've enabled the function (it seems that windows store broke by months at this point) and that the GP app library in custom sorting shows games I've uninstalled, my list of games is HUGE with that filter, it's just insane. No issues with A-Z and Z-A.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
So i can select the install folder and look in it but it seems like the permissions for everything is locked and can't be changed, so theres no way to actually mod things

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Wait, so i can transfer my save games from other platforms to the xbox side somehow..? Would love to keep my progress.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so i can transfer my save games from other platforms to the xbox side somehow..? Would love to keep my progress.

Nothing has changed about how save games are stored. There is no standard on how Gamepass stores them. They might be put in the same place as the same game in another storefront, they may be buried 20 levels deep into an arbitrarily named folder that consists of a string of 80 random characters, they might be encrypted, they might be broken into three different files for so discernable reason.

It's a complete shit show and has nothing to do with this "install the game somewhere else into a permissions locked folder and hope the entire system doesn't collapse sooner because of this hack" thing.

Yiepekaiyei

Nov 20, 2017
Brazil
If I developed a solution this bugged, for so many years without fix, on my web projects my company would fire the hell out of me. I wouldn't have 2 months of opportunity, not to mention years. Guess it's time to start sending CVs to Microsoft.