• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
oh shit, we could be getting Avowed gameplay, that's gonna be interesting

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to show gameplay this year for mostly everything and give release windows. Let's hope they realize that.
They really don't. What a strange requirement to place on them.

If they reveal the first gameplay & release dates for 2-3 of their upcoming titles, they're more than good.

Outside of that, the games will be ready when they're ready. No need to show gameplay or try to put a release date on a game that isn't ready yet.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
FEED US
8d2d02673801e4e96743f6130be856fc.gif

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice Starfield nod in the graphic.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's hard to nail down what I'm most excited for since they have so many games coming, but if I had to pick two coming in the near future it would be Starfield and Contraband. Two games that sound like my dream games.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
unf-basketball-unf-angry-elf.mp4

Hopefully we see Fable gameplay. Starfield is a given.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
People waiting for space flight in starfield is just hilarious. You guys should brace yourself for disappointment, cuz i don't see it being realisticly feasible. If the game have handmade planets, i think it will be close to destiny/borderlands, where you visit specific areas in the planet itself, so space flight is just not possible since it will be a direct flight to areas itself (just like destiny loading screen).

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
That's actually a really good question.

I lean towards opening with Starfield though. Get it out of the way so it's not a distraction from the other titles.
I think it'll close. They'll keep it hostage to keep people watching. Plus there will probably be a pretty long demo of gameplay, and it would be better toward the end of the show for pacing purposes. And then one more thing cgi teaser for some future game at the end.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
If they don't announce Banjo-Threeie or Kazooie and Tooie remakes, I think they would be better off canceling the show.

I don't think anybody cares about anything else.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Yeah especially since COD and other AB games are staying multiple platform, it's going to be wild in 2024 to see a trailer for THPS, Spyro, Crash, etc that has switch/PS logos at the end too

They probably won't. Third party games at Sony/MS/Nintendo conferences usually just have the one logo, and other platforms are announced after. It'll probably be the same

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
People waiting for space flight in starfield is just hilarious. You guys should brace yourself for disappointment, cuz i don't see it being realisticly feasible. If the game have handmade planets, i think it will be close to destiny/borderlands, where you visit specific areas in the planet itself, so space flight is just not possible since it will be a direct flight to areas itself (just like destiny loading screen).
We had a verified ex-Bethesda dev confirm manual space flight here yesterday. Unless he was lying manual spaceflight is in.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for:

• Starfield extended gameplay reveal
  • Forza Motorsport gameplay reveal and release date
  • Redfall gameplay reveal and release date
  • Hellblade II gameplay and release date
  • First in-engine footage of Avowed
  • First in-engine footage of Fable
  • Reveal of what The Coalition has been working on

This is a reasonable list that I also am hopeful for. I'd like a Grounded 1.0 release date as well. Been touching it here and there with friends since it came out but I wish there was more of the campaign that had an interesting start and then just stopped. The seemingly radiant quests haven't been very interesting though they provided direction on where to check out.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Flight mechanics are pretty common in video games. It's weird that this keeps being made into such an impossible feat.

Oct 27, 2017
They probably won't. Third party games at Sony/MS/Nintendo conferences usually just have the one logo, and other platforms are announced after. It'll probably be the same
True. That would probably be best for branding. At best, "coming to Xbox Game Pass and consoles" but yeah gonna be lots of press release reading to see what is going where

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested in seeing how much Bethesda will deliver on their promises of ambitions for Starfield.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Considering Phil's new title is "CEO of Microsoft Gaming" post-Activision announcement. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Microsoft Gaming Showcase. Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda both report to Phil.
That does make sense of course, but then, why append the 'Bethesda' for this one!

They'll probably keep both in the headline for a little bit and then revert to your suggested after a period of bedding in (Bethesding in?)

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I was beginning to think it might not happen this year. SUPER excited for this one! Been loving their output last year, but the future seems super promising to me. I expect it'll be a great show.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The audio director of Starfield basically confirmed in a recent video that travel between planets won't be through a loading screen:

"Our sense of scale had to be totally readjusted from making a game on a planetary surface as we've done before, and now we have these very vast distances against the black starry background"

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The big Starfield reveal, presumably. Very exciting. If Starfield doesn't have proper ship flying, they need to reveal that ahead of the event to avoid too much disappointment on the day.
Even without the leak, to many hints were given on the topic. Like this interview snippet with Geoff.

hobdal

Mar 1, 2018
Excited to see Starfield but what I want most is some Forza Motorsport info with a release date. Hopefully a 2022 release date.

Also be nice to see something Gears of War too.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I would think about now a lot of those acquired studious should be ready to show more . Star field is obvious and probably time to talk about when Deathloop will come to Xbox/gamepass.

The only game I am close to certain we will not see is Perfect Dark given all the stuff coming out of that.

Interested to see off Double Fine have any smaller projects on the go.

Nov 8, 2017
Huh. Well that's odd. Is that a long term thing? Usually mergers and acquisitions actually merge executive oversight between two companies don't they?

Keeping in mind we don't have access to any private long term plans or anything, but it seems that it will be ongoing for now. Partially this seems to be related to their limited integration policy for acquisitions, and partly a practical matter so as not to overload the existing management.

If you want to see the ultimate example of a limited intigration gaming acquisition katamari of doom, see the Embracer Group, whose subsidiaries pursue independent mergers and acquisitions, and which runs about 6 different publishers each with their own duplicate staff for various duties. And some branches publish games from other wings of the company! Letting your acquisitions stay intact means inefficiencies from duplicate staff, but it's also attractive for the companies being acquired, and is less likely to mess with what they're already doing - I.e. Better to be a bit inefficient than to screw up a good thing. It also let's you just hit the ground running because there is a bare minimum of time necessary to "absorb" them.

As far as Microsoft's gaming structure, Matt Booty runs XGS, Todd Vaughn runs Bethesda, and both people then report to Phil Spencer who runs Microsoft Gaming.

I'm the future, it's very likely that this will be joined by a 3rd person running Activision-Blizzard-King, also reporting to Phil directly. There is also a chance they might choose to abolish that joint structure and have Blizzard and Activision and King as 3 separate lines with a direct interface to Microsoft, but it is above my pay grade to comment on the likelihood.

I suspect that the next showcase in 2023 post merger will not be called "The Xbox + Bethesda + Activision Blizzard King showcase". At that point they will probably call it something like "The Xbox Family Showcase" but still keep the sub-brands separate during the show and in marketing materials. I also suspect that future games from Blizzard will display the Xbox and Blizzard logo side by side on the publisher splash screen. This is comparable to a service like Disney+ where they want you to know what is Disney, what is Lucas, what is Marvel Studios and what Is Fox. They all have brand recognition, prestige, etc.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Hyped! Super pumped for Xbox show!

This also gives me hope that Nintendo will still do a direct in June even without E3!