• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the X model yesterday in Manhattan...I'm wayyyyyyy out of the loop for this gen, but what is this nonsense in the year of our lord 2018 and the controller not having an internal rechargeable battery? Packing in two AA Duracells like it's an early 90s PlaySkool toy. Coming from a 2006 OG launch model PS3, this seems ridiculously archaic.

Anywho, it's nice to finally have a 4K system for my 4K TV

Join the 21st century and get some eneloops.

Feb 1, 2018
But no one buys xbox live at the original store price. Theres deals constantly

I can assure you that the vast majority of Xbox customers are definitely getting their live subs from a retail store or they just set it to auto-renew the sub from their saved CC on the MS Account every year.

The frugal deal-seeking, wario64-refreshing hardcore gamer community is a vocal minority, a very very vocal minority. You are not the market.

Picked up the X model yesterday in Manhattan...I'm wayyyyyyy out of the loop for this gen, but what is this nonsense in the year of our lord 2018 and the controller not having an internal rechargeable battery? Packing in two AA Duracells like it's an early 90s PlaySkool toy. Coming from a 2006 OG launch model PS3, this seems ridiculously archaic.

It's one of those silly xbox-isms. I got a play and charge kit with my bundle and it solved the issue.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Get you some eneloops. In 2018 They are simply better than any internal lithium-ion battery in every way.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Internal batteries are terrible conceptually, and closely tied to planned obsolescence. The true reason you'd make a battery for a device internal and non-removable is if you want the device to fail long term.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
this is nuts. great deal. always wanted consoles to do something like this.

if they do it for their next gen console from day one. its gonna be a madness and i'll have to jump on board

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Internal batteries suck, they die over time, aren't replaceable and in the case of the PS4 last fewer than 10 hours. I think the Xbox should come with that play and charge kit they sell separately however.

Aug 17, 2018
This is a beta test for Xbox Scarlett. Subscriptions and streaming are the future of console gaming...or at least that's how Microsoft sees it.
For sure.

At some point, streaming games will be the norm. We're just not there yet due to the massive games, need for good input lag, and the fact physical copies can be sold for trade in cash.

Hardly anyone buys physical movies anymore. But video game barriers like above don't apply.

The fact so many gamers buy digital copies shows physical discs and trade in value are less and less important every year that passes. All comes down to input lag.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This is a beta test for Xbox Scarlett. Subscriptions and streaming are the future of console gaming...or at least that's how Microsoft sees it.

I wonder how they'd roll this out next gen. It seems like having this option at launch would stress the supply chain forever.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they'd roll this out next gen. It seems like having this option at launch would stress the supply chain forever.
I mean presumably there's be a signing up period before launch where you'd apply for the console and have everything done then either it ship to you or you pick it up. And if anything MS can just do a tiered approach and focus the bulk of the consoles in the US.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It will be interesting to see how they go with latency and the leaps Xbox are starting to claim. 5G is also reducing latency massively, even by wired standards. I saw a preview launch of 5G tech recently and it was only 5-7ms consistently from a real hotel conference. WTF. Crazy. I wonder how it goes in bad weather or hilly areas etc. Either way I'm quite curious what these options are going to entail and how they're implemented in the real gaming usage cases at home.

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So whats the consensus on this? Don't feel like going through 21 pages. Skimming, I see that 2 ppl did it with relative ease

It's no different than applying for a special introductory rate credit card and buying a system + the subscriptions. In fact, you'd be better off doing that if you wait for the deals that constantly happen where you can pick up an X for $399 and not pay full price for XBL & GP

Status
Not open for further replies.