• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I'm very excited for both the new console, but especially for their lineup of games after all of the studio acquisitions. I built a gaming PC last fall, so I doubt I'll be in the market for a new console any time soon, but with PC Games Pass I feel like I don't really miss anything. Games Pass has probably been my favorite thing about gaming in the last decade.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I really don't think marketing has been the problem for MS. Their worst moment was the reveal of the Xbox One. After that they put together serviceable E3 shows that were not particularly offensive and pretty quickly pivoted away from the disastrous launch. Their problem has been the output of exclusive games that actually makes their platform interesting. I bought an X1X and it's just been sitting there collecting dust for the most part. They sold me on it but then didn't back it up. So what I'm waiting for is to see the actual games, they can do all the right things in terms of their marketing and PR, but none of it matters if the games aren't there at the end of the day. That is the one thing they NEED to get right.

You keep carrying on about how everyone is romaticizing about it's marketing plans, how everyone loves Phil to death and empty pandering headlines (whatever the hell that means). It's pretty clear you came here to be a debbie downer and took exception to how open Microsoft has been as a slight to how Sony's been unveiling it's own system.

This is a topic outlining plans leading to the new Xbox, there is no pandering headline I can see, so what is your issue exactly and who forced you to be here?

So we can't be excited we are getting news? lol

Apparently not to him without worshipping Phil and acting like deranged fanboys.

I really like how Msoft has been delivering the info on next gen in these periodic bursts.

Like they did the surprise reveal as a teaser, a few months later they did that massive hardware deep dive. In between they mentioned or clarified various firmware features and now they are on to 3rd party then first party games.
It's nice to have some semblance of what's going on during these difficult times. E3 and other shows have been cancelled and they are trying to make the most of the situation. Nice to see some transparency and planning ahead to inform everyone. They can announce E3 and other events in advance with no concerns but this is empty and pandering?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Really hoping the wider xCloud launch also comes with improved tech. Just works like junk for me half of the time.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, junior account
You keep carrying on about how everyone is romaticizing about it's marketing plans, how everyone loves Phil to death and empty pandering headlines (whatever the hell that means). It's pretty clear you came here to be a debbie downer and took exception to how open Microsoft has been as a slight to how Sony's been unveiling it's own system.

This is a topic outlining plans leading to the new Xbox, there is no pandering headline I can see, so what is your issue exactly and who forced you to be here?

Apparently not to him without worshipping Phil and acting like deranged fanboys.

It's nice to have some semblance of what's going on during these difficult times. E3 and other shows have been cancelled and they are trying to make the most of the situation. Nice to see some transparency and planning ahead to inform everyone.
And you keep bringing fanboy wars bullshit to this conversation for no reason. Do I need to bring out my fucking Xbox cred badge to get you and the rest of the attack squad off my back. Give it a rest dude. I just brought up a legitimate point that stuck out to me, and some people like yourself got overly defensive about it for no good reason. One person not parroting the same sentiment in the thread isn't some crime and doesn't ruin anyone's excitement for anything. If my post was a downer to you, don't give it any attention, why are you even engaging with me in this conversation.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just a reaction by contrast to the fact we are completely in the dark as to Nintendo and Sony's plan for the year.
Marketing has been a though spot for years at Microsoft, and I think people are glad they fixed their mess and have now a clear messaging.
Yup.
I don't think they're doing everything right...
xCloud, Only 720p and only on Android phones, I know it's a beta but still, zero hype for me there at this point
...but I certainly enjoy seeing them rise up after being down so long, they deserve some positive feedback even if it's just for the communication so far. Hopefully they can deliver on games as well.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand how it would make sense for MS to release the price and preorders in June and then wait til July to show first party games. People make preorders based off games, especially pertinent for Xbox, since they notably struggled with first-party offerings this generation. I think it would kill a lot of momentum if they open preorders without much first-party demonstrations.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Halo still on track for the 2020 console launch is the best relief of the week!

Let's hope it stays that way.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I think it would kill a lot of momentum if they open preorders without much first-party demonstrations.

They should just open those preorders already so that I could order one(more). The console will have something like 3000+ games on day-1, and one of those is new Halo, so what difference does few more make?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The build up leading to the Xbox Series X is so crisp and clear. With clear messaging and all about what is to come. Xbox will be in a real exciting place coming generation

Not that I disagree about the potential for its success, but what does clear messaging have to do with the place Xbox will have in the coming generation?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't understand how it would make sense for MS to release the price and preorders in June and then wait til July to show first party games. People make preorders based off games, especially pertinent for Xbox, since they notably struggled with first-party offerings this generation. I think it would kill a lot of momentum if they open preorders without much first-party demonstrations.

This is true. I expect a deep dive into what the system can do with BC titles, smart delivery and load times. Maybe Lockhart shown.

The Witcher 3 enhanced for Series X?

Oct 27, 2017
The World

dbblftw.gif

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its elder scrolls skyrim, its a joke
Gotcha. Thanks.

Not that I disagree about the potential for its success, but what does clear messaging have to do with the place Xbox will have in the coming generation?
More importantly why does it even matter especially as Xbox has expanded beyond console. :People are going to have to get past purely console sales as the only metric to measure overall gaming success.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think it just reflects a much more focused Microsoft going into this console than where they were when revealing the ONE. They aren't giving any time to TV shows or bigger entertainment aspirations, they aren't trying to hit a huge mass market by including a motion camera with every console - they clearly just want the Series X to be the box where you buy & play games. They know what the core audience wants to hear, and they're giving people a very easy-to-digest series of announcements to keep their interest peaked.

It's just a really good console reveal, which is all the better when you consider that seven years ago they were delivering the worst major console reveal in recent history.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019

For myself, I directly compare the Series X launch and the messaging for it with the Xbox One launch (the same way that I compare the PS4 with the PS5). I believe that for it to be a good generation you need to start strong, so that you do not have to worry about cleaning the mess you made in that beginning like we saw with the Xbox One.

Looking at it and again comparing it with Sony(I don't really care for console wars etc, I will get both consoles) I don't really get an idea yet about the PS5. For the Series X I am like okay you are showing us this and that and we are heading that way.

Microsoft to me seems confident, but in a good way. I like to know which direction a company is heading or at least think I have an idea where they are heading.

Hope I explained it a bit okay haha. At the end I want all consoles to do good because I am a gamer and competition is good. But I do like how Microsoft presents itself at the moment

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Neither company has made any indication of this. That report about Sony shipping less consoles this fall was based around the idea they expected less demand due to a higher price.

theres that recent tweet from that manufacturer insider from last week (?) that mentioned series x full production has started - also mentioned nothing from oberon (ps5). not sure how much stock to put into it though

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The XSX is too slow to even run Skyrim. Weird why Brad chose that. Maybe something like Missile Command or Centipede would have been more appropriate.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Hoping the May 7th third party showcase is beefy. I assume the July first party show will contain some megatons, I think MS was chastened this gen and knows they need to come out guns blazing with quality first party titles for XSX.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
My favorite thing is just how the MS marketing is so sneaky and vague yet also very transparent. They announce that they will be announcing news every month for the rest of the year, told us what May and July are but then left out what June is.

Funny how they are both so transparent yet so vague, and I think it strikes a great balance.

My bet is June being focused on services or new games (like Dragon Quest, Yakuza Ys, Persona etc) making their way to Xbox or all about their services including xCloud

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Why? Because I like a full blown up conference with all there instead of this?

It's unbelievable how indoctrinated some of you are holy cow, I literally expressed my opinion.

I just find it interesting that you say you don't want a drip feed, yet that IS what we've gotten from Sony.
Logo, Road to PS5 and controller.
IMO that is way more drip feed than MS straight up telling you every month there'll be something.