• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
They really should bring back Arena.
Take proteams for specific games and make them play weird competitive games versus randos(who may or may not know said games well)
Like a pro Call of Duty team playing randoms(streamers, fans, media, etc) in a game like Socom 2
Rainbow 6 pro team playing Halo 2 or Gran Turismo

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
YES. I loved this. Also, didn't they have a show called Arena which I feel was ahead of its time.

Yeah Arena was their competitive gaming show, which was really ahead of its time. Like I think if they had leaned into the competitive gaming scene, G4 legitimately might still be around today.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they plan to get new folks and not try to wheel out grampa Sessler and Morgan Webb in 2021. A full reboot would be smarter

Honestly get new hosts, have Adam and Morgan cameo but go back to the first era.

Reviews with some skits and witty humor before the LA era where they got bitter.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
There's like 3 different versions of X-Play, so I wonder which they go back to.

Hopefully it's more in the vein of Extended Play and X-Play circa 2003-2004. I disliked when they became over reliant on the skits and also when they turned into a more "professional" show.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason these shows got attention in the first place was that they were pretty much the only professionally produced gaming video content of their time. I have no idea what they will do to differentiate themselves in the YouTube/Twitch-era, though.

If Attack of the Show goes back to a Twitch-friendly Live format, that would be pretty interesting since at least in that arena their production values can outshine those of most Twitch streamers. X-Play has a much harder time fitting into our modern world.....it's unclear why they would be a destination for either sketch humor or game reviews.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Arena was their competitive gaming show, which was really ahead of its time. Like I think if they had leaned into the competitive gaming scene, G4 legitimately might still be around today.
And honestly, its way more entertaining and bite-sized than current competitive gaming too.

Jun 23, 2019
Please let X-Play be Morgan and Adam just being grumpy old gamers complaining about stuff. I would watch just for that (and Ratty Puppet too).

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
They really should bring back Arena.
Take proteams for specific games and make them play weird competitive games versus randos(who may or may not know said games well)
Like a pro Call of Duty team playing randoms(streamers, fans, media, etc) in a game like Socom 2
Rainbow 6 pro team playing Halo 2 or Gran Turismo

That actually sounds like a pretty cool concept. Get a bunch of proteams from various games to play a tournament consisting of a variety of games to see who is the proest of the pros.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird. I'll check it out at least.

As for Adam...... I don't think he's a fundamentally bad person but the guy often seems like a disturbed old man to put it lightly........

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes

I miss AOTS. I used to love kicking back after a long day and turning off my brain while they goofed around. I didn't use any social media back then aside from a few subreddits on Reddit so 90% of the stuff they showed (like Around the Net) was new to me. It will be fun seeing some old faces pop in once in a while, but I am really curious who the new hosts will be. I feel like it was a show that sank or swam week-to-week entirely upon the chemistry of the hosts and enthusiasm of the staff.

I appreciated X-Play for being the only show on TV that even attempted to discuss gaming news.

Btw they have an open Discord now

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It appears another video is going live on the channel soon, too. It looks like this is also teasing their third new personality for the network, someone who appears to be a youtube personality. This makes Austin Creed/Xavier Woods, Jirard Khalil/The Completionist, and now this Gus guy.

This Channel has been uploading episodes daily. The episode in question you are looking for is 17 away from today's upload, so it might show up in 2 weeks!

Wait, The Completionist is a personality on the new G4? The same The Completionist that remained friends with JonTron and attended his wedding well after he outed himself as a racist?

Between this and Adam's transphobia, this is a clusterfuck for me. Super sucks, as I have mega nostalgia for G4/TechTV.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Bring back Tech TV!!!!

techtvMenagerie.jpg

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yes!

I can't imagine it would be cheap to bring back Olivia since she's a movie star now, but I'm definitely in for Kevin P and the X-Play crew. I just miss weekly game review shows.

Now give me Cinematech!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Yes!

I can't imagine it would be cheap to bring back Olivia since she's a movie star now, but I'm definitely in for Kevin P and the X-Play crew. I just miss weekly game review shows.

Now give me Cinematech!
Cinematech was such a gift. I learned about so many games through it. It was literally just a clip show, but there isn't really anything like it anymore save adding every trailer under the sun to a youtube playlist. I really hope it comes back in some form, if only because it was a fantastic (passive) way to learn about games rather than seeking them out from the outset.

NicoNicoRose

Dec 9, 2020
Portland, OR
Definitely not going to watch this unless/until Sessler makes a serious apology for his transphobia.

It sucks - I enjoyed the show (up to a point) back in the day, but it's tainted by cruelty and bigotry now thanks to Sessler.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I think this is better off being a nostalgic memory than trying to recapture the moment in time

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this works out for them. I'll be watching.

Also, I'm taking this time to link to a clip from Attack of the Show in the final days of the series after it was known they were being fired, no one at the network was watching and no one gave a shit.

When this first aired, I didn't remember ever laughing so hard. It's so silly.

(Audio is a bit off. The original video on the G4 channel was made private when the "return of G4" announcement happened. I assume they'll relaunch the YouTube when G4 relaunches.)

What the hell. I didn't not realize Barrowman was a guest host on attack of the show.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Here is a link to an article published yesterday detailing some more information about the relaunch:

www.syfy.com

Gamers rejoice! G4 unveils plans for this summer’s return of Attack of the Show! & X-Play

G4 is returning to TV this summer after a 7-year hiatus, and two of its biggest shows — X-Play and Attack of the Show! — will be returning with it.

"Everything has a definitive voice and point of view. Everything is rooted in comedy," Blair Herter, G4's head of brand and a familiar face to longtime fans, recently explained to SYFY WIRE. "We like to say around the office, 'G4 really is a comedy brand with a gaming problem.'

"Over the years and more recently, there's been a lot of [talk about], 'The next G4; the next G4' — and there really is only one G4, for now and the future, and that's what this is," explains Sabbe. "…n terms of tone, voice, and especially being comedically driven — that's the definition of what G4 is, and there's really no comparison or competitor. That's the thing we're being very strategic about bringing forward into the next generation of G4 — which I hate even saying, because this isn't a reboot; this isn't a re-imagination: this is G4 as you knew and love G4, but it's just 2021 instead of 2012."

"As we look forward, expect participation in some way, shape, or form from everyone from the old cast at some point. We're being very, I'd say, 'open' to what works for them. They've all gone to different points in their lives and their careers. Some of them have other things, whether it's families or other interests. The door's open, and I'd say, expect to see them enter it — but I couldn't say that like, 'this person is coming back for this [show]' until a little bit further down the road. There's a lot of surprises we have, not only from the original talent, but from talent that reflects the gaming space of 2021: content creators, comedians. We've really done an exhaustive search of people who [want to be a part of G4]."

Very interesting directional information here.

It also appears that B4G4 is going to be a reviews and weekly editorial show leading into the relaunch, so I'm curious if that will segue into Gus Johnson being a new host for X-Play specifically.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
That's awesome that Adam and Morgan have legends contracts. I'm very excited for this.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that Sessler made transphobic comments, never apologized and blocked/became aggressive with people trying to get him to own up. Really hate to see the "Sessler is great!" comments in this thread in light of that, especially after the CDPR stuff.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
B4G4 has aired its first announcement, very interesting approach. It appears they really are emulating the old G4 Production format with these skits.

Very interesting look ahead at what may be on its way.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Dang, I've even more hyped about the return now that Gus Johnson is on board. Not sure about Adam Sessler anymore though.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wait, The Completionist is a personality on the new G4? The same The Completionist that remained friends with JonTron and attended his wedding well after he outed himself as a racist?

Between this and Adam's transphobia, this is a clusterfuck for me. Super sucks, as I have mega nostalgia for G4/TechTV.
Yup, Jirard ain't a great guy. Or at least caring about being buddies with racists.

Adam Sessler's transphobia is hard to stomach. I remember when he would champion indie games awards and seemed like a cool dude. His recent bigoted antics are such a fall from grace.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Reminder that Sessler made transphobic comments, never apologized and blocked/became aggressive with people trying to get him to own up. Really hate to see the "Sessler is great!" comments in this thread in light of that, especially after the CDPR stuff.
Yep. I have absolutely zero interest in this revival as long as he is involved.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand how this will work. A lot of their shows could just be boil down into the hour long shows that people put up on YouTube already

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't understand how this will work. A lot of their shows could just be boil down into the hour long shows that people put up on YouTube already
I think part of this is that the sort of talkabout hour long video essays you see on youtube are not the same tone nor production goal as something like a set-produced talk show with skits or what have you. I think back to how late-night TV talk shows were once stated as a major threat to Radio News (at the time), but eventually the two coexisted because of the difference in mode of presentation, the same way that Podcasts and Satellite radio exist across similar target audiences without directly competing.

So far they seem to be running this operation in line with a "TV Network" approach as opposed to a more relaxed and leisurely video essay or youtube critique. There is a focus on on-location shots and sets as well, which are somewhat rare in the youtube space outside of very specific content creators and channels. So that, I think, is where the question of sustainability lies.

Is there an audience or market for a more traditionally produced gaming network? I think so. I think certain things, like Kinda Funny games or Easy Allies have slowly leaned into over time, what with their news report desks and fully constructed set. But I don't think that G4 will need to compete with the various Grimbeards, MandaloreGamings, or SulMatuls of the world. They can coexist.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
This is pretty cool. If they are new people im not sure ill be interested but id check it out at least. Classic hosts and im IN IN

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018

rawd

Oct 25, 2017
I was making a joke, but wow! WTF??? I had no idea and had not heard any of this! The stuff that was in your link is just insane! Put another one on the list of hypocritical a-holes!

I used to listen to the TWIT podcasts all the time but got tired of Leo's shtick. This just seals the deal of what a total ass he is. Thanks for sharing!

Same here. I was a big fan of TWIT.. listened to almost every episode but unsubbed after I found out all that jazz about Leo.