• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Artist Russell Dauterman previews some of his high-fashion X-Men designs for the upcoming Hellfire Gala.
Never doubt superheroes' ability to party. It's now been a couple years since the X-Men set up an independent mutant nation-state on the island of Krakoa, and later this year they'll be celebrating with a party way too cool for humans. The Hellfire Gala, which as its name suggests is basically like a Marvel version of the real-life Met Gala, is set to take place this June across multiple books in the X-Men line as well as the special-sized one-shot issue Planet-Sized X-Men. You may remember that recently Marvel allowed fans to vote on a member of the newest X-Men team; that team will officially make its public debut at the Hellfire Gala.

Dauterman said he started the project by getting on a group Zoom call with the other writers and editors involved in the X-Men line so they could give him ideas about the general direction they wanted for the designs. For Storm, the senior X-Men member and Omega-level mutant with the power to control weather, the team said they thought it'd be cool if she literally wore weather.

"So I gave her a cape made of clouds and lightning," Dauterman said, on top of ideas he'd jotted down years ago in case he ever got to design a Storm costume one day.
"I love the idea of Rogue wearing lace," Dauterman says "I always loved that red lace dress Jim Lee drew for her date night! The collar was my attempt at merging Rogue's iconic hood and the jacket."

Emma is one of the few mutants with multiple abilities. In addition to being one of the strongest mutant telepaths around, she can also turn her skin to rock-hard diamond.

"I thought it'd be cool if she were in diamond form for some of these looks — using her mutation as jewelry," Dauterman says.

More info and designs over at Entertainment Weekly https://ew.com/books/x-men-marvel-hellfire-gala-preview/

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Even in the midst of all those weird and wonderful outfits, Emma still manages to style on everyone.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Of course Emma is slaying everyone. Tho the women are all serving looks while the guys are struggling.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
That Emma Frost design sure is uhh...something

Edit: Referring to the one that's a furry tit-window

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone made Rachel a costume based on the most hellish years of her life where she was brainwashed into a mutant hunting attack drone in her apocalyptic future.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Eh

Part of the charm of the Met Gala is that everyone is dressed up like a JRPG boss, but the X-men already dress goofy so

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
All of these are great except Rachel's. She looks like a bondage version of Carnage.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is going to be a fun event. Storm looks amazing. Emma's looks are perfect. Can't wait.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like Scott's is a decent design but the weird shading and lack of effort in the lower half are hamstringing it.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I keep telling myself that I need to get caught up on X-Men. Then I remember how at the start everybody is fucking everybody (is that still the case?) and I'm like "I can't with this fanfiction shit.. lmao"

Oct 8, 2019
Rachel Summers is horrible with the happy. trail of spikes, the Emma Frost one with the tit window is bad, and Captain Britain would be better off without the giant magenta makeup covering her face.

The rest are pretty good and some of them like Storm, and Rogue are excellent.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I keep telling myself that I need to get caught up on X-Men. Then I remember how at the start everybody is fucking everybody (is that still the case?) and I'm like "I can't with this fanfiction shit.. lmao"
Yes, but of course it's all not shown, it's just implication. But it's glorious.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but of course it's all not shown, it's just implication. But it's glorious.

Oh god lmao

Thanks for this. Next question: Jean. Does that room belong to OG Jean or are we talking about teen Jean that was snatched from the past and brought to the future? It's been ages since I've read an X-book so apologies if I'm super late on some crazy shit that happened since.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god lmao

Thanks for this. Next question: Jean. Does that room belong to OG Jean or are we talking about teen Jean that was snatched from the past and brought to the future? It's been ages since I've read an X-book so apologies if I'm super late on some crazy shit that happened since.

The teenaged x-men were sent back to the past, but through comic fuckery the present-day versions apparently remember all those teen experiences.

This is being presented and accepted as OG Jean.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god lmao

OG Jean. She returned from her 12 year death in 2018, a year prior to the Hickman takeover (AKA Dawn of X). The time displaced young X-Men returned to their time. (and their memories of the present day became unlocked in their modern day counterparts).