• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doing a Magneto origin story of him hunting Nazis would have been way better.

FYI, my headcanon is that the Nazi who appears here in Inglorious Basterds escapes and ends up in the bar where Magneto kills him (same actor).

Ironically, the weakest aspect of the film is the "first class" team, whereas the strengths are the Magneto/Xavier scenes. And Kevin Bacon playing a Nazi.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
First Class is one of those movies that must've been saved in editing. All reports were that it was a clusterfuck, but it somehow came together to be a pretty fun movie, treatment of its PoC characters not-withstanding.

I do agree that a Magneto: Nazi Hunter spin-off would be a good time.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
x-men.fandom.com

X-Men Origins: Magneto

X-Men Origins: Magneto (2015) was a proposed and cancelled spin-off and prequel to the X-Men film series from 20th Century Fox. In December 2004, 20th Century Fox hired screenwriter Sheldon Turner to draft a spin-off X-Men film, and he chose to write Magneto, pitching it as "The Pianist meets...

it almost was

Oct 25, 2017
Those parts of the movie were pretty dope, that said they'd have to unveil another nazi with superpowers at some point or it would get kinda boring

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totally, bacon and quicksilver are the only good moments in all three films and I'm being very generous to Bacon.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that part was cool, but I liked the movie we got. Plus the ending setpiece with the whole alt history Cuban Missile Crisis was awesome

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's generally widely accepted that the Magneto-Xavier dynamic is what makes the movie. I still adore it, but it has its problems.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm all for any Nazi-hunting superheroes.

Heck, I've grown to like First Avenger far more as I've gotten older and the political climate changed.
anigif_sub-buzz-30073-1499451661-7.gif

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
yeh, it was originally Magnetos origin story, too bad it just wasnt about him and then meeting charles. ill be honest, i hated the prequel soft reboots overall, theyre just bad but Fassbender was the best thing in all of them, i kind of wish they pull an M and just let him do continue with it in the MCU hopefully with a more competent team behind him

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Every X-Men film should have been something else. An entire Egypt-era film would have made a better Apocalypse.

Oct 25, 2017
I like First Class more than most X-men movies. I would have been happy to watch a presequel that expanded that quest into a whole movie.

I'm all for any Nazi-hunting superheroes.

Heck, I've grown to like First Avenger far more as I've gotten older and the political climate changed.
anigif_sub-buzz-30073-1499451661-7.gif

First Avenger has always been way underappreciated.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Hunting Nazi's is always fun stuff. Those were my fav parts in that movie.

Jul 9, 2019
Ironically, the weakest aspect of the film is the "first class" team, whereas the strengths are the Magneto/Xavier scenes. And Kevin Bacon playing a Nazi.

Kevin Bacon desperately trying to pronounce those German words is definitely one of the most (unintentionally) hilarious scenes in all of Marvel.
Shame they couldn't be bothered to cast someone who actually has a modicum of command of the damn language. Then it could've been a truly haunting scene. Just shooting it in English would've also been a million times better. 'Cause Kevin Bacon can act.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Do a Magneto movie but instead it's 2020 and he's de-platforming Nazis on Twitter

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the story that they were going to do an X-Men Origins Magneto movie? But after Wolverine was trashed, they reworked it into First Class?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First class is my second favorite X-Men film behind DOFP.

My only real complaint was that most of the mutants were pretty much killed off screen or disappeared by the next film. They only kept X, Magneto, and Mystique :(

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I'll watch anything where Nazis are being hunted.

Inglorious Bastards, but with superheroes? I'm in.

Halloween, but Michael Meyers only stalks Nazis and white supremacists? Sign me up.

Annihilation, but the The Shimmer only turns Nazis into fruit trees that regular folk can harvest and make smoothies with? Let's fucking go.

Lots of genres can benefit from a Nazi-hunting angle.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sad First Class with Fassbender's Magneto couldn't be part of the MCU. Way more so than anything else from the X-Men movies.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds boring. How about a useless Wolverine cameo to break up the Nazi hunting? Audiences will love that.

Have him say fuck too!

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That bar scene is still amazing. Probably my favorite X-Men scene from any of the movies.

"Blood and honor. Which would you care to shed first?"

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Still tied for my favorite X-Men film. But it really was mainly due to Fassbender and McAvoy.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yeah should have been way more magneto heavy and less mystique themed. I wish they had cast someone else besides Lawrence;I really like her but it became her story too much in the first two movies

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
All of people's good will from First Class comes from the 3 minutes of Nazi hunting scenes. Somehow everybody always forgets the other 2 hours of mediocrity.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Under the title X-Men: Magneto (: The Origins: Etc...), because what about the rest of the First Class?

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
The bar scene and pretty much every scene with Magneto were the standouts. But as a whole, First Class is extremely overrated to me. I just can't see the appeal among all of the other comic book movies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why do I love comic / game / etc. nightcrawler but can't stand the movie ones?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The best parts of First Class are the ones lifted from the Magneto solo movie. Once it gets into the actual first class it declines significantly. Still probably the best X-Men movie that isn't Logan, though.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Magneto and Xavier forming the whitest team they could
Edi.jpg

hero_Xmen-First-class-image-6.jpg

Honestly, the whiteness of the team isn't what bothers me, I bet it wasn't even deliberate by the filmmakers (though it's a bit sad considering x-men is about diversity).

It's the fact that Darwin is basically an unkillable mutant... but they kill him off anyhow? He literally has a get out of death free card. Him dying that way felt like a parody of the "black dies first" trope.

Oct 26, 2017
First class is my second favorite X-Men film behind DOFP.

My only real complaint was that most of the mutants were pretty much killed off screen or disappeared by the next film. They only kept X, Magneto, and Mystique :(
Yup. I love both but I agree with the idea that DOFP should've been the third film in this trilogy.

Honestly, the whiteness of the team isn't what bothers me, I bet it wasn't even deliberate by the filmmakers.

It's the fact that Darwin is basically an unkillable mutant... but they kill him off anyhow? He literally has a get out of death free card. Him dying that way felt like a parody of the "black dies first" trope.
It doesn't help that it happens in slo-mo and right after Bacon's spiel about slavery with the awkward cut to Darwin's face!

My ranking of the main-line X-Men films:
X2
DOFP
First Class
X-Men
Last Stand
Apocalypse

Also it goes without saying that Bryan Singer is a creep and total trash.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought McAvoy was really crap as Xavier, it was almost a piss take. I never really liked him at all in the trilogy except his depressive state in the second one?