• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
...Ian McKellen, a man born in 1939, is too old to play a person who grew up in the horrors of ww2?

If you want to go by logical ages, all of the X-men should have been in their late 50's in the 2000 film. They've all kept a roughly similar age since 1963 compared to the other characters they encounter, and age at a glacially slow pace thanks to "comic book time". Magneto always looked like an extremely athletic 50 - 55 year old and at one point was even restored to that form after getting older. Even McKellen had doubts on playing the role initially, and didn't feel like he looked the part. He decided to move past that and play the character out of the way he could connect with him on some level.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I actually really loved First Class, especially compared to Days of Future Past which I just found ultimately boring (although I appreciate it for its retcon of X-Men 3)

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Never cared for it. There's something about Matthew Vaughn's work that always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what we're calling X-Men movies? Cause like sure you can make the case for it compared to X2 or DOFP, but Logan and Deadpool are both far and away better but dunno if those count since they're more solo films.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
January Jones as Emma Frost was hilariously awful

Darwin dying was bullshit

Only Magento, Professor X, and Sebastian Shaw gave any memorable performances

It's alright, but I'd rank Logan, X2, DOFP, and Deadpool above it.

Deleted member 35740

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I rewatched this movie 2 days ago and I couldn't believe how I ever thought it was a good movie. DOFP, X2, Logan and dare I say X1 are much better films.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sorry, this movie will never get respect from me due to being in the 60s and still being super shitty to every POC in it, especially Darwin. It's the 60s! There were so many social movements going on that could have taken precedence while intersecting with the rise of mutants.

X2 and Logan are better.

I also can't enjoy films that treats it's people of color like shit

it's so weird to me when this movie gets praised

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad that the original plan to make a trilogy that culminates in days of future past fell apart.

They clearly had no idea where to go to anymore after dfop

I'm sorry, this movie will never get respect from me due to being in the 60s and still being super shitty to every POC in it, especially Darwin. It's the 60s! There were so many social movements going on that could have taken precedence while intersecting with the rise of mutants.

X2 and Logan are better.
Zoë Kravitz wasn't treated badly, was she? Though that she and Darwin are the only poc I can think of might speak to the problem

Last edited:

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
X2, First Class, and Days of Future Past are my favorite. (Not counting Logan).

I love the first half of First Class and the last few scenes in Cuba. The middle is kinda ehh, I don't care about the new mutants much at all. I absolutely love when X-Men gets into political intrigue and spy fiction, which are my favorite parts of First Class and DoFP.

A 60s Magneto Nazi Hunting Spy Thriller was such a missed opportunity.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's half a good movie, half a mediocre one. All the X-men team stuff is really boring.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The stuff that's good in First Class - the chemistry with Erik and Charles, Bacon hamming it up - is great. There are a lot of issues, though - the movie is not kind to its POC cast, Mystique is both overexposed and underdeveloped, Emma is a bore, and there are a lot of questionable VFX shots (Angel flying for the first time - oof).

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I like it only because Bacon as Shaw is just fun and interesting to watch. He exudes charisma and power and his power is an awesome sight to behold. When he steps into the base and absorbs rocket explosions with that blurred body movement thing. Just cool.

SimpleEnchantedBarb-size_restricted.gif
e9794b2f3cbfcf1ab7ed2a3514a6bf68.gif

Also Fassbender and McAvoy were pretty great and really good replacements for McKellen and Stewart, who were iconic.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
First Class Killed and unkillable mutant that has a great and interesting power that was also black for no reason in a dumb way.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I found it to be a fun movie too, its not a perfect film and I thought darwin's death was kinda lame. But It was an okay movie. Days of future past was the only xmen movie I saw in theaters and it was enjoyable for the most part. The most memorable thing I recall from that movie was everybody clapped when storm died. I thought that was kinda weird.