• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Honestly Turner isn't amazing but fine

The problem is that they didn't give her a character before the turn they really should given the young team the focus in apocalypse to make this feel a bit more earned
I like her in Game of Thrones but I didn't even like her in Apocalypse. She probably was fine. Maybe I'd like her better if Famke Janssen wasn't such a good Jean in comparison. But she seemed flat and emotionless to me.

But I am pretty harsh on all of the newer cast. The only one who I thought lived up to their older portrayal is Michael Fassbender as Magneto.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
BTW Dazzler is in the movie too. They had her in full costume too.

The problem is that they didn't give her a character before the turn they really should given the young team the focus in apocalypse to make this feel a bit more earned
I don't think Turner is as bad as an actress as these movies have made her seem. She's was good on the last season of GoT. I just don't think that she is currently good enough to carry this script and this movie. I'm not sure anyone could have.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It wasn't terrible. I liked the beginning and the end but they made very odd decisions. I had no idea who Magneto's other mutant buddies were. Not even sure if they named them. They scraped the bottom of the barrel. It's like seeing Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool. That fight in NY was terrible. Beast jumping around doing really nothing, Cyclops kicking Beast like 20ft away as if he has super-strength, Storm jobbing to the dude with dreadlocks. They could have used the Shiar, but used an alien species I'm not really familiar with. I'm not even sure if they exist in the comics. Heck why not just switch the aliens with the Hellfire Club?

I saw it at iMAX, and there was alot of eye candy. Probably the best use of CGI the franchise has ever done. Beginning and end were amazingly shot. It just feels like the movie was inconsequential. They are going to reboot it anyway, but I was hoping for a better swan song like Logan had.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Yet having his leg broken was enough to stop him in the previous movie.

Jesus Christ, these movies suck.

Pain? He does move noticeably slower in this movie. Still super fast but a broken leg and the pain is going to stop him from doing things. He is still a regular strengthed human.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like a whole lotta nothing
not even any juicy spoilers to giggle about
sounds boring geeze
Mags is hanging out in Genosha and they use that as like, a "hah this ones for the fans" thing?

Uh no you fucking dummies, I wanna SEE IT. Show me the fucking movie with Genosha not just "and here it is, BTW Mags has an army of mutants of his own now, just over here. Offscreen. Juuuuuust over here."

How dumb can you be.
Wait, so we literally saw the entire movie in the trailers?!
Yeah it all seems boring and disappointing then again what else was I expecting from these movies.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't terrible. I liked the beginning and the end but they made very odd decisions. I had no idea who Magneto's other mutant buddies were. Not even sure if they named them. They scraped the bottom of the barrel. It's like seeing Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool. That fight in NY was terrible. Beast jumping around doing really nothing, Cyclops kicking Beast like 20ft away as if he has super-strength, Storm jobbing to the dude with dreadlocks. They could have used the Shiar, but used an alien species I'm not really familiar with. I'm not even sure if they exist in the comics. Heck why not just switch the aliens with the Hellfire Club?

I saw it at iMAX, and there was alot of eye candy. Probably the best use of CGI the franchise has ever done. Beginning and end were amazingly shot. It just feels like the movie was inconsequential. They are going to reboot it anyway, but I was hoping for a better swan song like Logan had.
Beast deciding to suddenly play frogger instead of just clearing the street in one jump was beyond dumb. Storm jobbing to the dreadlocked dude was dumb too. Storm honestly could have ended that whole fight by herself. Mags is wearing a metal hat. She can call lightning, but I guess that would have been too easy.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read the spoilers, so these shapeshifting aliens were skrulls? lol WTF do the skrulls and xmen have to do with each other, if they were going for aliens they should gone for the brood olr something..

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The movie honestly isn't funny bad but more boring bad

It's probably why it got a low RT score not because it's a worst movie ever but it's doesn't do much exciting to get fresh reviews

There are decent ideas that I wish had more weight like humanity turning on them but it feels like it only exists for the train sequence and everything goes back to normal for really no reason other than the series is over.

I wish I give a shit about Jean but I can't and it's not Turner fault honestly the new trilogy just give Jean nothing
Beast deciding to suddenly play frogger instead of just clearing the street in one jump was beyond dumb. Storm jobbing to the dreadlocked dude was dumb too. Storm honestly could have ended that whole fight by herself. Mags is wearing a metal hat. She can call lightning, but I guess that would have been too easy.
Storm is completely wasted in the movie and she's super nerfed

I guess she forgot she can fly and cause tornado

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I read the spoilers, so these shapeshifting aliens were skrulls? lol WTF do the skrulls and xmen have to do with each other, if they were going for aliens they should gone for the brood olr something..
They're not even Skrulls but an obscure alien species that were obviously supposed to be Skrulls

Jessica Chastain was supposed to be lilandra apparently but fucking reshoots and changes in plans fuck that up so she's a boring bad guy

Nemesis-T Type

Alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Wait a minute

How can Jean be dead when she shows up at the end of DOFP in the new future which takes place after this movie ?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A large part of the reason these movies have been so bad is because Lawrence is sleepwalking her way through them despite being a primary focus of the scripts.

At least this time they just write her out immediately.

J. Law phoning it in is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things with these movies.

The fact these movies are dependent on the actress playing Mystique in the first place speaks volumes about how far we've fallen.

Aine

May 27, 2019
All that pre-release talk about this being a "grounded" adaptation (no space, no aliens, etc.), and yet, here we are. With fucking aliens.

Also, way to use Jennifer Lawrence peacing out of the franchise to motivate two dudes in a classic display of fridging.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm...really not sure what the point of even having Magneto in this movie was. Like you can use him as a conflicting ideology, but here the only big difference between him and Charles is that he wants to kill Jean, and after being all "Your speech's won't solve this!" Charles just kind of convinces him to chill

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I will admit that the aliens' natural form (what little was visible) looking like the aliens from Signs made me laugh.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I thought Sophie was pretty bad in Apocalypse, but she seemed to have improved quite a bit in this one. Her accent was definitely better, and overall she felt more lively and less stiff? She played Dark Phoenix pretty well too. Not an amazing performance, but definitely an improvement.

I wish we had gotten more depth with the antagonists though. Super bland and 1 dimensional. I feel like they could have trimmed some scenes to make room for more scenes that fleshed them out more. Or made them kind of sympathetic in some kind of way. Their motivations were weak. Not awful, just super weak and typical.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're not even Skrulls but an obscure alien species that were obviously supposed to be Skrulls

Jessica Chastain was supposed to be lilandra apparently but fucking reshoots and changes in plans fuck that up so she's a boring bad guy
That makes even less sense, why lilandra? i could see Casandra Nova hell she would of made more sense...

Oct 2, 2018
so....

its not a terrible movie. I actually dont think its bad. It's just sort of servicable and there's a definite lack of wow in all of the action sequences and there's also a very strong sense of dejavu to the last phoenix movie including the house scene in which Famke Jensen Phoenix obliberated some house.
There's a sort of similar scene here but its done worse.

The action is also SOOOOO small in scale. An attack on a brown stone in NY. An attack on some shitty commune with 2 helicopters. Like, what am I watching?

The problem is the third act that has such a small scale this seems like a weird tv show off shoot with the most underwhelming final act of any superhero movie of late. Its all shot in tight little boxes in a train, then it crashes and she implodes some aliens and it ends. It really doesn't deliver a pay payoff for the last xmen movie after like 7(?) movies? Seriously WTF?!

ADD: also alien plotline is so badly done and you honestly don't even care. They don't show them enough to get a real motivation nor give them a premise as a threat. And they're all shown as humans so the xmen are just fighting rando humans.

The thing it has going for it:

Fassbender is always magnetic on screen
Nightcrawler is amazing and has some great scenes

that's it. The new cast I've never loved and I dont like anyone in this but the problem with this is how low rent it feels. I dont like jean grey, cyclops, hank, raven - storm and quicksilver are underused and quicksilver disappears from the 3rd act from injury.

ADD: also, you can tell Fox shat this out with how lacklustre the postcredit is. Ugly cheap CGI fonts and then it rolls to an end and there's no post credit. #GAVEUP.

I've not watched GOT so I dont know her from there but she has a serious case of potato face (as does raven). Every time she's on screen, I just dont think she looks right - especially when the camera faces her straight on - I dont think she can act either. Very wooden and I'm guessing the role asks for her to look "blankly empowered" so she spends most of the film looking blankly empowered with glowing cracks on her face.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I'm still amazed to hear that the film doesn't even bother to address the fact that Jean already manifested Phoenix powers at the end of Apocalypse, even though the whole goddamn film this time is ostensibly about the Phoenix. Not like it'd have taken more than a few lines of dialogue to deal with that, either.

It's really something how little regard these films have for their own continuity, despite steadfastly refusing to hit the hard-reboot button after nearly two decades.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I'm still amazed to hear that the film doesn't even bother to address the fact that Jean already manifested Phoenix powers at the end of Apocalypse, even though the whole goddamn film this time is ostensibly about the Phoenix. Not like it'd have taken more than a few lines of dialogue to deal with that, either.

It's really something how little regard these films have for their own continuity, despite steadfastly refusing to hit the hard-reboot button after nearly two decades.

Wasn't even a tiny hint either, it was literally what killed Apocalypse. Never mind that, I guess. :P

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
What were Chastain's powers, whenever she did what she did to someone it did kinda look like it was painful as fuck but idk what else she could do.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

lmao, you're right.
Damn, I'm so happy I didn't spent a cent on this movie.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
He directed the Fant4stic reshoots.
source.gif

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute

How can Jean be dead when she shows up at the end of DOFP in the new future which takes place after this movie ?

Don't think about it.

Don't. Think. About it.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

I thought her character was a combination of Lilandra and Mastermind.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I was bored and kept wanting it to end. Seems like the cast did too.

But the showing was fun when people laughed when they weren't supposed to, and cheered when they weren't supposed to. It was like The Room screening in The Disaster Artist.

One guy yelled "PHOENIX" really loud at the end and everyone just started laughing.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting so much life out of audiences being absolutely pissed at the screen when a post-credits scene doesn't happen.

Marvel killed the cinema-going experience.

May 26, 2018
I was bored and kept wanting it to end. Seems like the cast did too.

But the showing was fun when people laughed when they weren't supposed to, and cheered when they weren't supposed to. It was like The Room screening in The Disaster Artist.

One guy yelled "PHOENIX" really loud at the end and everyone just started laughing.

I legitimately giggled when Jean and Magneto were competing for the helicopter. That was so strange looking.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I legitimately giggled when Jean and Magneto were competing for the helicopter. That was so strange looking.

In my showing people bust out laughing when Xavier was walking up the steps. They cheered at Mystique dying and Jean exploding. After Jean exploded one guy sarcastically yelled "Yea Phoenix!" and everyone ROFL'ed.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Meh. It was better than Apocalypse. There was a few nice action sequences. The music was decent. The scene of Charles 'walking' up the stairs was CRINGEY

May 26, 2018
In my showing people bust out laughing when Xavier was walking up the steps. They cheered at Mystique dying and Jean exploding. After Jean exploded one guy sarcastically yelled "Yea Phoenix!" and everyone ROFL'ed.

Man, you had a party for an audience. Mine was really quiet, except when the coolest things happened (mostly Nightcrawler) and then they let loose. Like they'd been waiting for something to feel excited about the entire movie.