• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Rock was advertised big for the premiere and of all the old timers, he seems like the biggest "get" for them with his movie career making it difficult for him to appear as often. If that doesn't create a huge draw for them day one, I don't know what does.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just like with Finn on NXT, it seemed dumb to keep something like Cain as a secret. I know for angle purposes it makes sense, but for rating it probably would have been a big bump if they had advertised a Cain appearance. Maybe that leads to a jump in ratings next week.
Yeah, I think that's the idea. Have him as a surprise this week to trick people who were going to tune out to stick around another week or so to see how this angle plays out.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Just like with Finn on NXT, it seemed dumb to keep something like Cain as a secret. I know for angle purposes it makes sense, but for rating it probably would have been a big bump if they had advertised a Cain appearance. Maybe that leads to a jump in ratings next week.

Yeah, but long term, keeping things unpredictable keeps people coming back week after week. The WWE had begun to look desperate with how often they'd announce a returning legend or big name comeback as a way to try and pump up ratings for a day. I just stopped caring.

I mean, I popped for Jack Fucking Swagger in the Year of Our Lord 2019. It wasn't a big pop, but I want to be surprised.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
TV industry was projecting way over a 4.0.

3.8 isn't really impressive when you take into consideration a very aggressive Fox marketing campaign, pushing Smackdown hard online, highlighting it on all thier flagship shows, including Football, an advertised appearance by The Rock and so forth.
Yeah I thought I remembered they were expecting about 4.5m in the run up to the show so that seems pretty disappointing.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Draft next week keeps them in the 3.2-3.5M range, then after that they will be fighting to keep it above 3M the rest of the year.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Smackdowns true enemy in the ratings is Last Man Standing reruns, dont compare it to raw, aew etc,its network tv.

Deleted member 3761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge drop off.

all that "HIAC was so horrible talk" is the most talk I've seen about WWE in the mainstream for awhile.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
Keeping those 2 million 50 and over fans happy i see, gotta say they know what their primary fanbase likes

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
At this point the fan perception for Seth is arguably close or equal to Roman,which is amazing how fast they managed to do that.
True, but at least Roman has something resembling a gimmick and is decently entertaining (as overpushed as he was). Seth is like the walking embodiment of watching paint dry.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seth was over for so long because he had a lot of residual good will from his 2014-16 heel run and because he wasn't being shoved down everyone's throats like "Company Mann" Roman Reigns. Then Rollins became "Company Mann" and with it his star began fading fast.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Maybe the longer term trend continues to drop, but it seems like they may have reached their floor around 2.1-2.3 viewers. If they still had that many people watching last night after last week's Raw and HiaC, then I don't see those people dropping the product ever.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we're probably at or near what the floor is in terms of RAW ratings. They're likely down to the hardcore audience that wont abandon the product.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
TUNE IN DECEMBER 23RD FOR A VERY STONE COLD CHRISTMAS ON RAW
EasyUnitedArgentinehornedfrog-size_restricted.gif

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Is there still a brand split? Because how come everybody is on both shows? Or was this just to introduce SD on Fox?

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The majority of the people still watching RAW won't join in with any online boycotts, they never hear about them because the internet is the devil and they don't use it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the longer term trend continues to drop, but it seems like they may have reached their floor around 2.1-2.3 viewers. If they still had that many people watching last night after last week's Raw and HiaC, then I don't see those people dropping the product ever.

Exactly. They've already shed the people who drop Raw for Monday night football at this point. They've also shed the people who are sick of WWE's bullshit, because if the cuckold and hell in a cell DQs aren't going to turn them off, nothing will.

That's why a consistent 3 million viewers is not going to happen for smackdown.

The next big drops will probably come once (if) AEW catches a ton of steam. When word spreads that there is an easily accessible and far superior wrestling product on tv every week (with a bunch of stars WWE fans recognize), the Raw viewership will continue to whittle away. But the number going down won't be because of football, and it won't be because of the 6 cuck angles.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's worth remembering that WWE's core and most loyal audience are 50+ year old men. If they haven't tuned out by now, I don't think they're going to, so they're probably going to stick with it until the very end.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more curious what the #s will look like for the rest of October. You figure next week ticks up slightly because of the brand split. The week after people will want to see what they do with that. If they fuck it up (they will), then the following week should have another drop off.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
They've not bottomed out yet and sub-2M is reachable, being down only 10% after a PPV which use to be a good bump, it's a positive sign of them reaching the floor.
It's worth remembering that WWE's core and most loyal audience are 50+ year old men. If they haven't tuned out by now, I don't think they're going to, so they're probably going to stick with it until the very end.
They're the CBS audience of wrestling and an irrelevant demo unless USA starts airing Centrum Silver, Metamucil and ED commericals.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we're probably at or near what the floor is in terms of RAW ratings. They're likely down to the hardcore audience that wont abandon the product.

Nah, they can go at least 500K lower before there's any chance of hitting their superhardcore.

Is there still a brand split? Because how come everybody is on both shows? Or was this just to introduce SD on Fox?

Vince got desperate due to super low ratings a few months ago and effectively ended the brand split. It's supposedly starting up again from friday, at least for a short while. May disappear again if the numbers decline sharply like they did during the summer.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the disparity between NXT and Dynamite's ratings is gonna get even wider this week. Anecdotal but I've seen much more online discussion for this week's Dynamite and virtually no talk of tonight's NXT.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sort of expecting a dropoff in AEW's ratings tonight tbh. Hope to be proven wrong

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
A 9 percent drop coming off a PPV certainly isn't great, but yeah seems like that 2 million viewer mark is ride or die fans that will watch WWE no matter what is presented in front of them.

Curious to see if next week holds or takes another drop.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's always going to be a certain amount of people who automatically turn on Raw because its the the wrestling that's on Monday nights. It requires no choice and no thought and after a day of work they can veg out to it.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I'm sort of expecting a dropoff in AEW's ratings tonight tbh. Hope to be proven wrong

I feel AEW, out of all the shows, probably has the best chance of holding steady or increasing from last week. It has high momentum from roundly beating NXT, good publicity, and a very strong reception to the first show. Although, granted, I wouldn't exactly be surprised for a 1.1ish rating either. Anything lower would be very concerning.

I feel like the disparity between NXT and Dynamite's ratings is gonna get even wider this week. Anecdotal but I've seen much more online discussion for this week's Dynamite and virtually no talk of tonight's NXT.

Especially since the only thing announced is WALTER vs Kushida. Which is going to be an awesome match, don't get me wrong, but neither guy has been established to the point of drawing a huge audience on USA.

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
You guys underestimate how many people hate watch WWE. A viewer is a viewer. I've DVR'd RAW and Smackdown the last couple of years. Watched them the next day in about a half an hour of fast forwarding mostly because I liked listening to the POST Wrestling reviews and wanted to be part of the "conversation". With the move to Fox, AEW and just the general embarrassment of RAW last week was a good time to completely ignore the product so I'm completely off even the hate train I'll be back to being blissfully ignorant of whatever that company is doing but there's still a ton of people who can't help but looking at a car wreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.