• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

I no joke honestly marked out harder at solid snake and phoenix wright going back in time to defeat themselves from the past than damn near anything else in wrestling apart from some New Japan stuff.

I'm not a huge wrestling fan as is, but gott damn

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
What makes this the most distasteful to me, is that the WWE is making ridiculous amounts of money this year. Even before the mass firing their profits were way up due to production costs being way down and not running house shows (which were losing money).

Then they fire a boat load of people in the middle of a pandemic. So then they're making even more money. Now they try and stop the talent they have from making money on the side.

Its fucking awful.
If just Vince, Steph, and HHH agreed to not get dividends this year they could have kept every single employee they fired and still had their most profitable year.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I don't watch the WWE so at first this title didn't really interest me. I did click because it did seem to have interesting implications for the wrestlers trying to build their brand outside of wrestling, but reading that Vince claims the WWE owns the real names of the wrestlers is the most batshit insane thing I ever expected to read when clicking the thread. I mean, if anyone would claim such a thing, it's not surprising that it's Vince, but holy shit, that seems nuts even for this carny operation.

There is no way that is enforceable and I can't believe they'd even claim such a thing.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
"Some of you are engaged with outside third parties using your name and likeness in ways that are detrimental to our company," McMahon wrote.

The only constant detrimental thing for the company is Vince himself. Always has been.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
What if you're a pedophile and or sexual predator AND on yt/twitch. What does Vince do in this case.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
"<shrug> " /"nobody's perfect"/ "let people watch what they want watch" or some other nonsense excuse, hand wave,whataboutism.

I want so badly to ask some people around here what the line is that WWE has to cross before they, you know, stop letting it be basically an addiction in their lives no matter how bad it gets but ehhh... I know I'd get nowhere with them
The answer to your question is that NOTHING would prompt them to drop WWE programming and stop defending the company at this point if they haven't stopped watching by now. There is no line. WWE Raw could be turned into a 3-hour Republican indoctrination show with larger than life personalities and a match every hour and they would keep watching.

This company has hand-waved dictatorships, actively fucked over and endangered their talent base repeatedly and has zero cohesiveness/logic in their long-term booking and is pretty much just hot-shotting shit to pop up ratings even when AEW and NJPW is producing more content per week than any sane person could possibly need and they will not stop watching. It'll NEVER happen. And the hilarious thing is that almost everyone that quits watching their product invariably says that they wished they'd have done it sooner and they're much happier for having done so.

Hell, they could just keep watching and have the self-control to not talk about it on a progressive platform like Era. But they can't even do that. And if you dare criticize them for doing so, you get attacked for gate-keeping. And, to be fair, they actually have a point about that because one could argue that Dana White is just as shitty as Vince McMahon... and yeah, his political views are. That said, the UFC treats their talent a hell of a lot better than Vince McMahon treats his. And the UFC hasn't been airing propaganda shows championing Saudi Arabia since 2018.

Is any of this shit the WWE is proposing cracking down enforceable legally? Of course not. But it doesn't have to be. Vince isn't going to just let these people change a social media handle and keep doing what they're doing. They will be pulled from WWE programming. They will be told Creative has nothing for them. Or they'll be trotted out on air and humiliated weekly until they stop running their podcast or their TikTok or their Cameo or their Instagram or their Twitch stream. Or, worse still, they'll be booked to wrestle Nia Jax and she'll crush their windpipe. And then they'll have their contracts extended indefinitely while they're injured so they can't work and earn a livelihood elsewhere unless they play ball. And then they'll be terminated and have no means to pursue their wrestling craft any further because other companies aren't hiring.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Dan said on stream a while back his being able to do side gigs was OKed by the WWE before he agreed to work for them. If the WWE is going back on its word then I doubt he'll stay. He talked about how badly Gamestop corporate fucked him over on a side gig, he lost an endorsement and a Super Bowl commercial with Taco Bell or something. He's not going to tolerate that potentially happening again.
Dan Ryckert banned from Twitch?

This stuff is specifically about WWE talent, which refers to the wrestlers. Dan's effectively just some random staff member; unless he's discussing his job on stream constantly, I doubt it ranks at all as a concern.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Dwayne almost makes Vince sound reasonable.

Maybe all Cena had to do was ask for his name back.
Vince is a shitty pushover when he realizes you have power over him. He's the worst kind of masculine business asshole that Lord's over the people under him but the very moment he realizes that he doesn't have that power he rolls over like a chump. The Rock is one of those people that were smart and knew how to manipulate Vince.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Who's gonna find the best .McMahon .gif related to this ?

giphy%20%281%29.gif

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
I no joke honestly marked out harder at solid snake and phoenix wright going back in time to defeat themselves from the past than damn near anything else in wrestling apart from some New Japan stuff.

I'm not a huge wrestling fan as is, but gott damn
I've hated few actual heels more than that damned illidan stormrage

GolazoDan

Oct 25, 2017
This should be one of those key moments where the wrestlers wake up and realise they can fight back, but how many of those moments have there been even in the last year or two? The best we get is a podcast with a former WWE wrestler telling it like it is and confirming everything we know. The rest are either too down-beaten to do anything or company yes men (side-eyeing Mr. Rollins).

I know Trump comparisons are easy with Vince but everything he does is about the profit. Everything "nice" he's done for wrestlers is so he could profit from them as stars going forward (getting the odd murder charge dropped and that). Now he doesn't even have to be nice to them because they're not the stars: the brand is. He doesn't want them doing non-WWE things because what if they become bigger than WWE like Rock did? He thinks he can do what he wants because they're disposable, and there's been very little push-back against him.

Contempt for your audience is one thing, I think he has genuine contempt for most of his locker room. What a horrible man.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
What makes this the most distasteful to me, is that the WWE is making ridiculous amounts of money this year. Even before the mass firing their profits were way up due to production costs being way down and not running house shows (which were losing money).

Then they fire a boat load of people in the middle of a pandemic. So then they're making even more money. Now they try and stop the talent they have from making money on the side.

Its fucking awful.
I think this is what makes it particularly slimy. Just, for Vince it seems like the point is cruelty as long as it means he can add a few extra bucks to his mountain of money. I think it's obvious he has contempt for everyone, even his own family, the only thing he actually loves is working 20 hours a day and inflating their stock prices.

Also that man is clearly obsessed with control. He runs that company like a fascist, which I suppose makes sense when you consider his close ties with Trump. Like two shriveled hate filled peas in a pod.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
What happened to bootstraps and brass rings?

Just funny how their logic never makes any sense, even when they try desperately to follow it.

Vince and Trump are definitely kindred spirits in every way.

But we know they're terrible. It's the fans/supporters/toadies that enable them that deserve a lot of blame here too.

When there's no real repercussions for their behavior, they will just continue to do whatever they want.

Everything is political, even pro wrasslin

Nov 27, 2017
California
Ah no wonder Paige was acting weird about her twitch channel
Fuck Vince, it's messed up to say but when he passes and Shane/Steph/Triple H takeover is when things will get better

I liked Cesaro on twitch too and Asuka on YouTube

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Vince is a shitty pushover when he realizes you have power over him. He's the worst kind of masculine business asshole that Lord's over the people under him but the very moment he realizes that he doesn't have that power he rolls over like a chump. The Rock is one of those people that were smart and knew how to manipulate Vince.

It's probabaly the same reason why Brock Lesnar get incredible deals where he just has to wrestle a few times a year for more money than anyone else. He knows Brock can just go to the UFC.

Oct 25, 2017

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
WWE released a statement

Much like Disney and Warner Bros., WWE creates, promotes and invests in its intellectual property, i.e. the stage names of performers like The Fiend Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Big E and Braun Strowman. It is the control and exploitation of these characters that allows WWE to drive revenue, which in turn enables the company to compensate performers at the highest levels in the sports entertainment industry. Notwithstanding the contractual language, it is imperative for the success of our company to protect our greatest assets and establish partnerships with third parties on a companywide basis, rather than at the individual level, which as a result will provide more value for all involved.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yes Hakeem the african dram is on the level of Spiderman or Batman

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Using exploitation in your press release about exploiting your workers is certainly one way to go

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Imperative to the success of our company to not let independent contractors run independent youtube and twitch channels

just like letting go of a bunch of talent during a pandemic as they enjoy their most profitable year in company history

pure fucking scum

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017

If he can own John Cena, then he can own the undercard. lol

This is 2006 though, the movies Cena and Rock are making now are much bigger and making more money than they were in 14 years ago (was Cena even in any non WWE produced movies then?). I don't believe for a minute McMahon is getting a kick back on Fast and Furious or Suicide Squad paychecks.
The Rock was the highest earning actor in the World 2019 with 90 million dollars. Vince didn't get shit from that, no way, the Rocks agent/exwifeis way to clever for that shit.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
This is 2006 though, the movies Cena and Rock are making now are much bigger and making more money than they were in 14 years ago (was Cena even in any non WWE produced movies then?). I don't believe for a minute McMahon is getting a kick back on Fast and Furious or Suicide Squad paychecks.
The Rock was the highest earning actor in the World 2019 with 90 million dollars. Vince didn't get shit from that, no way, the Rocks agent/exwifeis way to clever for that shit.

I think I remember Vince claiming The Rock purchased/was given a license to use the name in movies.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rock coming back after WM 19 and sticking around until 20 was part of that agreement.

And duh, of course Vince got a cut of The Marine a WWE produced film.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they actually put in their official statement that they openly exploit their wrestlers so that they can capitalize off of it, but the wrestler themselves cannot. This reminds me of all those college athletes who were exploited for the NCAA's financial gain, but write in rules that prevent the athlete being unable to capitalize on their fame. It's a shitty scheme as old as time.