• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Vince McMahon issued an edict this past week that talent can no longer "engage with outside third parties," which would presumably include platforms like Cameo and Twitch.

WWE held a call with talent last Sunday regarding the reinvention of the product. During the call, it was said that WWE owns the real names of talent, not just their character names.

McMahon followed up by sending a letter on Thursday. McMahon wrote that it was imperative that they promote and protect the brand in every conceivable way, and that talent have 30 days to stop engaging with third parties.

"Some of you are engaged with outside third parties using your name and likeness in ways that are detrimental to our company," McMahon wrote. "It is imperative that these activities be terminated within the next 30 days (by Friday October 2). Continued violations will result in fines, suspension, or termination at WWE's discretion."

www.wrestlinginc.com

Exclusive: Vince McMahon Threatens To Punish Talent Engaging With Third Parties

Vince McMahon issued an edict this past week that talent can no longer "engage with outside third parties," which would presumably include platforms like Cameo…

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
He could make them permanent employees but then he'd have to pay for their healthcare, can't have that!

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
"independent contractors" vince is such a fucking prick, jesus christ.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Weird. The genie is out if the bottle with personal branding.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Who's gonna find the best .McMahon .gif related to this ?
Live from Titan Towers
tenor.gif

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I hope this doesn't effect Dan Ryckert. I was enjoying seeing him stream video games again :(

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great idea to continue to fuck with your wrestler's livelihoods and ability to do what they want when they're not on your time even further during this pandemic. Surely there's no way that could backfire on you.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I need more content of AJ Styles' getting Hank Hill'd by his son saying he doesn't watch WWE anymore.

I needed that shit.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
So Creed can't try out for G4? Vince saying he owns their real names is bullshit and should be challenged.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I hope this doesn't effect Dan Ryckert. I was enjoying seeing him stream video games again :(

He's employed by WWE as a podcast producer so most likely their podcast is fine.

This is what was reported on F4W:

It would appear that the era of WWE talent using Twitch, Cameo, YouTube, and other third parties to make extra income and build names for themselves outside WWE is coming to an end.

First reported by Wrestling Inc. and confirmed by our Bryan Alvarez, Vince McMahon sent a letter to talents on Thursday, saying they have 30 days to stop engaging with third parties or else face fines, suspensions and even termination at WWE's discretion.

It's unclear what "third parties" means, however. Several wrestlers operate successful Twitch and YouTube channels where they interact with fans while playing video games or other activities.

The letter comes following a Sunday meeting with talent about the "reinvention of the product" where it came up that WWE owns the real names of talent in addition to their character names.

WWE wrestlers are independent contractors, so there is a legal question of what WWE can mandate and what they can/do own.

From the letter: "Some of you are engaged with outside third parties using your name and likeness in ways that are detrimental to our company. It is imperative that these activities be terminated within the next 30 days (by Friday October 2). Continued violations will result in fines, suspension, or termination at WWE's discretion."

Wrestling Inc. also said McMahon wrote that these actions are necessary as part of WWE's rebuilding process as they "enter the next phase of growth at WWE."

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
WWE and Vince McMahon continue to treat their employees like commodities. I truly hope professional wrestling in the mainstream continues to expand beyond the company and the man's grasp, everyone involved here deserves to have choice in the places they work in this industry so that it doesn't have to be the WWE.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is more about control than anything else. Vince is an egomaniac (like Trump) that wants the keys to his workers livelihoods. If they can branch out with side gigs like this, that lessens the grip he has on their lives.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
hold the fuck on, Vince, i thought these people were independent contractors

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine that the ones accepting this are the people who are both:

a.) already getting paid very well
b.) seeing very limited chances for getting a gig at AEW or NJPW/ROH (whenever / if the situation ever gets back to normal.)

Don't know how they are paying let's say Adam Cole - he might be looking at this very differently compared to an AJ Styles.

Oct 27, 2017
WWE and Vince McMahon continue to treat their employees like commodities. I truly hope professional wrestling in the mainstream continues to expand beyond the company and the man's grasp, everyone involved here deserves to have choice in the places they work in this industry so that it doesn't have to be the WWE.
I'm kind of hoping that Impact's refusal to die turns into a cinderella story and instead of there only being 2 companies to follow every week it becomes big enough to become the 3rd.

ROH will probably always exist on syndicated tv as long as Sinclair owns it and they're happy to keep it as what it is.

NJPW's western expansion could've been a big deal had the pandemic not happened and had AEW not become a thing. Hopefully things get better enough in the future for them to attempt it again.

MLW and NWA have big dreams for themselves but I just don't see those two taking off as anything more than developmental territories for the other promotions. If they were smart they'd embrace that fact and try to make partnerships with any promotions that will do business with them.

But yeah as long as WWE is the biggest and seen as the company to work for then stuff like this will keep happening.