• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't fully understand how you can't just quit the company. Maybe labor laws in the US are really that bad but this doesn't seem legal

Their ways aren't legal really I don't think but you need someone to challenge it to make them be deemed as such, not many have the time or money for those court cases and I think wwe try everything in their power to always have cases against them heard in their home state because they're shown favouritism there. But even when someone may get close to winning they'll usually just settle out of court to not risk getting nothing and wwe get to keep their bullshit going.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously though, what's stopping him from putting "New America" vids online while shooting on the company? What're they gonna do? Fire him?

Might as well tell everyone what the gimmick he refused to do was. Knowing Vince it was either Terrorist or Racist Cop.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are they really just going to have him sit around doing nothing for 2.5 years out of SPITE? Holy shit.
They're giving him the Pac treatment.
www.f4wonline.com

Neville no longer under contract with WWE

Neville is out of his WWE contract after nearly a year of dormancy. Pro Wrestling Sheet first reported last night that Neville is no longer under a WWE
Neville stopped appearing on television in October of last year and hasn't been seen in pro wrestling since. Reports indicated early this year that negotiations to bring him back had stalled, with WWE opting to freeze his contract and keep him under his contract indefinitely until he either returned to WWE or negotiated a release from the company.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't fully understand how you can't just quit the company. Maybe labor laws in the US are really that bad but this doesn't seem legal

their contracts are illegal as fuck, but no one has taken them to court yet, sadly.

I think the closest someone got was Brock back in the day, where he was able to get out of his non-compete and worked New Japan lol

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Form a Union
Go on every daytime TV show and tell them your plight
Youtube/ Twitch / Twitter what is happening

Lots of ways to be a big enough problem that you are not worth the hassle.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though, what's stopping him from putting "New America" vids online while shooting on the company? What're they gonna do? Fire him?

Might as well tell everyone what the gimmick he refused to do was. Knowing Vince it was either Terrorist or Racist Cop.

No other company would take a chance on him if he started doing stuff like this

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
They think keeping Ali in limbo would torpedo his relevancy in the eyes of what they think is a wrestling fan and that worked so well with PAC lol

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
their contracts are illegal as fuck, but no one has taken them to court yet, sadly.

I think the closest someone got was Brock back in the day, where he was able to get out of his non-compete and worked New Japan lol

I think Del Rio also did it. I understand what everyone is saying of the system being against them vs the multi billion dollar company but this system seems insane.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
interviewer, a normal human being used to regular society, utterly shook at how shitty this multi billion dollar carnival company treats their talent
exactly, but imagine Ali being like yeah WWE sucks and this is all the shit they pull, this is the racist shit they wanted me to do. Rather than Bailey doing everything she can to downplay it and rush past it.

Oct 8, 2019
Form a Union
Go on every daytime TV show and tell them your plight
Youtube/ Twitch / Twitter what is happening

Lots of ways to be a big enough problem that you are not worth the hassle.

Oh yeah these dudes are going to form a union to get better treatment and guaranteed contracts

EXe-6tpU0AALrXs.jpg

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
You can quit whenever you want. You just can't go do Pro Wrestling until your contract expires. Do you want to become an actor, or an accountant, or whatever? Your fine to do that. But as far as wrestling goes, you had a contract for X amount of time, you can't do it unless you get released from your existing contract

It's not that different than other sports leagues in North America. Ben Simmons didn't want to play Basketball for the 76ers, who he had a contract with. He could have retired and gotten out of the contract and gone to do anything else except play basketball in the NBA, but as he wanted to stay in the NBA, he had to wait till he was traded

When Brock Lesnar left WWE to try and make the NFL in 2004, that was fine. But when he tried to go to New Japan in 2006, WWE tried to stop it, and ended up losing the legal case. In 2021 there is a decent chance that case would have been ruled in favor of WWE- NJPW has US television, runs US live events, has a streaming service for english language viewers, etc- but back in 2006 when the only people watching NJPW in America were tape traders, it was a different story

Last edited:

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My guess is that they will let Ali go after the upcoming PPV is over, and money has changed hands, but only with some legally binding clause that forbids him from speaking about his time with the company

The only reason they are keeping him is because they probably don't want him to be outspoken about why he wants to leave.

And that reason more than likely would cause of fuss a the upcoming PPV. It is going to cause problems anyway, but even more so there I would guess

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
You can quit whenever you want. You just can't go do Pro Wrestling until your contract expires. Do you want to become an actor, or an accountant, or whatever? Your fine to do that. But as far as wrestling goes, you had a contract for X amount of time, you can't do it unless you get released from your existing contract

It's not that different than other sports leagues in North America. Ben Simmons didn't want to play Basketball for the 76ers, who he had a contract with. He could have retired and gotten out of the contract and gone to do anything else except play basketball in the NBA, but as he wanted to stay in the NBA, he had to wait till he was traded

When Brock Lesnar left WWE to try and make the NFL in 2004, that was fine. But when he tried to go to New Japan in 2006, WWE tried to stop it, and ended up losing the legal case. In 2021 there is a decent chance that case would have been ruled in favor of WWE- NJPW has US television, runs US live events, has a streaming service for english language viewers, etc- but back in 2006 when the only people watching NJPW in America were tape traders, it was a different story

I think there is a difference to other sports mainly in your equivalency being slightly off. The NBA is not equal to all of pro Basketball, it is one league of (perhaps a bit hypothetical) many. As I am more familiar with American Football I will use that as an example:

The NBA=NFL=WWE
Pro Basketball = Pro Football = Pro Wrestling

Pro Football = NFL, USFL, XFL, AFL, ...
Pro Wrestling = WWE, AEW, MLW, ROH, ...

NFL = Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, ...
WWE = Raw, Smackdown, NXT, ...

With that said, while the Philadelphia Eagles would not allow Jalen Hurts to sign with the New York Giants, while he is under contract to them, I don't know if they could stop him from playing for the Los Angeles Express of the USFL if he were to first retire from the NFL, thus more or less voiding his contract.

IIRC during NHL and/or NBA strikes/lockouts players also did play for other pro leagues in other countries.

But I think the main issue for WWE contracts perhaps being illegal is WWE pretending the Wrestlers are independent contractors but not allowing the wrestlers the freedom that should come with that status. As far as I can tell for the NBa and NFL the players are employees and not freelancers, as WWE would like to think the wrestlers are.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017

IIRC the reason Brock won was because after he tried out for the NFL, WWE offered to bring him back but wanted him to take a pay cut.

The judge said you can't simultaneously hold him to the terms of his contract to not wrestle any where else, while also trying to change the money terms of the contract.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hugo Savinovich's Lucha Libre Online reports that WWE has fired Carlos "La Voz" Cabrera, legendary spanish announcer who spent 29 years in his position.

Hugo and Carlos were iconic as a duo, but Carlos Cabrera managed to carry and then get into a great pair with Marcelo Rodriguez. WWE's Spanish announce team was so much superior to the english one.

Now, I usually don't believe Hugo that much, but this is a moment where I do. These guys are friends.

www.fightful.com

Carlos Cabrera Released By WWE | Fightful News

Carlos Cabrera departs WWE.

Fightful reports too. Sucks bad. Really bad.

Obligatory: Yeah, Tony, sign him. AEW's spanish announce team is pretty bad.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Hugo Savinovich's Lucha Libre Online reports that WWE has fired Carlos "La Voz" Cabrera, legendary spanish announcer who spent 29 years in his position.

Hugo and Carlos were iconic as a duo, but Carlos Cabrera managed to carry and then get into a great pair with Marcelo Rodriguez. WWE's Spanish announce team was so much superior to the english one.

Now, I usually don't believe Hugo that much, but this is a moment where I do. These guys are friends.

www.fightful.com

AEW has a Spanish announce team? That's news to me.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I would watch whatever promotion pairs Carlos and Hugo again

They played a huge role on making the WWF memorable in latin america

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

www.fightful.com

Carlos Cabrera is a goddamn legend. He really was THE VOICE of the WWE for plenty of us who watched in Spanish. His partnership with Hugo was iconic. Fucking hell. I don't watch WWE anymore but this stings :(

AEW has a Spanish announce team? That's news to me.

Yes, and it's not very good. I've slowly warmed up to them but they basically speak Spanish as a second (!) language, which means they are very slow in translating promos, they make a lot of basic mistakes with basic expressions (and sometimes basic verb conjugations) and it could be so much more. I don't want to throw hate on them because I know they give their all, it's just the end product is lacking. A hire like Carlitos Cabrera could go a long way.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yes, and it's not very good. I've slowly warmed up to them but they basically speak Spanish as a second (!) language, which means they are very slow in translating promos, they make a lot of basic mistakes with basic expressions (and sometimes basic verb conjugations) and it could be so much more. I don't want to throw hate on them because I know they give their all, it's just the end product is lacking. A hire like Carlitos Cabrera could go a long way.

Yeah, I got used to them now, but now that I can change the audio language I'm not going to go back. They really try but it's just not good enough.

Ivol

Dec 12, 2017
Yup, if there's an 'ex WWE' person that TK absolutely needs is Carlos Cabrera. Like Altazor just said, AEW in spanish is just…yikes.

'Le dieron a mi amiiigoooo' 😭

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Just to make it clearer to US-ERA, imagine if instead of JR and Tony Schiavone on the table you had Andrade El Ídolo and Penta trying to commentate in english. You know they are gonna try their best, but it's obvious it's not gonna be fluid.

That's AEW's spanish table in a nutshell.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

www.fightful.com

My dad (77) is going to be mad as fuck. He loves Carlos and it took him a long time to get over WWE firing Hugo. They repeat Smackdown with Spanish commentary in Puerto Rico on Saturdays and my dad never misses it. His favorite wrestler is Shinsuke Nakamura 😬

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

WWE star Cesaro has quietly exited WWE after his current contract expired, PWInsider.com has confirmed. He last performed for WWE on 2/11, losing to Happy Corbin on an episode of Friday Night Smackdown.

We are told the two sides had been in negotiations but had not come to terms on a new agreement. One source noted that WWE did offer Cesaro an extension on his current deal but that was turned down.

This would be a case of Cesaro's contract expiring, so there would be no 90-day non compete. Cesaro had been slated to be at tomorrow's Smackdown taping in Hershey, PA, but will obviously no longer be there.

Cesaro, 41, had been with WWE since 2011 when he inked a developmental deal with then-WWE developmental territory FCW. Over the course of his run with the company, Cesaro won the first-ever Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal at Wrestlemania 30 and had a run with the WWE United States Championship as well as Raw and Smackdown Title runs with Sheamus, Shinsuke Nakamura and Tyson Kidd. He defeated Seth Rollins at Wrestlemania 37 in Tampa last year.

While Cesaro had a long run, he was also consistently underutilized during his WWE tenure. Among fellow talents, he's universally considered one of the best and toughest in-ring performers by any definition of the word. He can likely punch his own ticket anywhere he chooses to land, whether that be coming to terms with WWE at a later time or competing elsewhere. He would obviously be in high demand in a number of places.

Prior to his WWE run, the Swiss star, under his real name Claudio Castagnoli, had a tremendous run as one half of the Kings of Wrestling with Chris Hero in Ring of Honor, Pro Wrestling NOAH, CZW and CHIKARA. He had a nice run in Europe, obviously, as well

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
About time. Thank god he realized that tiny push he got last year was just WWE trying to convince him to stay only to get jobbed out like usual.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I haven't watched WWE in quite a while (last thing I watched was some NXT Takeover a couple of years ago) but... hey, let me guess - Cesaro was reduced to jobber. I always felt the guy was talented but either the booking or hs gimmick wasn't getting through to fans? I don't remember him being "over" when I last watched.

Wasn't he in a tag team with Seamus? I guess that stopped being a thing long time ago.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder they'll repeat the offer with a higher pay. Roster is thinning out very fast and NXt is full of undercooked homegrown talent to replace the departures. Seth might be on his way out too and I can see some of the decaders call it a day. Cesaro was one of them.