• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unionize or zero sympathy for anyone on that roster

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
WWE continues to be a shit company. Guess we can add stealing money to the list which includes pushing an alleged child predator, covering up murders, and covering up rape as well.

Stop. Supporting. WWE. Programming.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just listened to a Lapsed Fan bit where they said Vince was going to do exactly that. Good shit pal.

What a fucking garbage company

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They all needed to walk out years ago.

WWE's deal with USA and FOX is based on them producing live shows, imagine if the roster walked out together, WWE would get fucked breaking those contracts unless they replaced the entire roster with indie workers which they wouldn't do

Again, at this point, without a union Vince will keep doing this shit

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Absolutely disgusting. Here is hope more wrestlers will let their contracts lapse and not renew. Fuck WWE, it deserves to go down in flames.

Nov 2, 2017
they wont strike, ever. You wont ever get the top/main event wrestlers to go along.

I'd just give like 70% effort in every angle i was put in and hope i got my walking papers.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Can't wait until Seth logs onto Twitter and starts defending this.

Fuck the WWE. If you do still want to subject yourself to their godforsakenly shitty product for some reason, at least do so in a way that doesn't financially benefit them.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, what's the mechanism to take over the accounts. The wrestlers handing over passwords or are Twitch faciliting it?

Surely if it's the later it can't be legal, you can't just hand someones account over to their boss.
The former. Still don't expect it to be very legal.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
remember when people were like "oh wait, now that WWE has clarified, this might not be that bad after all??"

well...

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unionising won't be easy with half the roster being extreme right-wing QAnon loons, but the fact that there is a strong, viable, financially secure North American alternative for the first time in decades does give the wrestlers a huge bargaining chip they didn't have before. The problem is though, despite all the shit that's heaped on them, there still doesn't appear to be anyone willing to stick their neck out.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
STOP GIVING THESE SHITHEADS YOUR MONEY.

NbunY4E.jpg

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
From the Wrestling Observer newsletter:

According to an article in Wrestling Inc. and since confirmed from others in the company, Vince McMahon sent an e-mail to talent that WWE would be taking control of all Twitch and Cameo accounts in four weeks.

Talent was told that all accounts in those genres would be owned by the company but talent would earn a percentage of revenue from their accounts. What got people upset is that the revenue would count against their downside guarantees. With no house shows, essentially the old bookkeeping method of what talent that are under contract now earn in almost all cases except giant merchandise draws, would be less than the downside taking away the house show and such a large percentage of merchandise sales.

Talent contacted at deadline has ranged from those saying they were aware of it and it is true, and others saying they received an e-mail regarding terminating all third party business relationships (which talent was warned to do several weeks ago) and being told this week that the hard deadline for this is 10/2. But some were not aware of any distinct change in the Twitch and Cameo policies, others have said they have heard it from other talent but did not hear it themselves and others have said they are aware of the one e-mail and not the other. At press time WWE had not clarified its position.

As noted when the controversy started several weeks ago when WWE first banned talent from doing third-party deals with their WWE-owned names, the feeling was that talent under old contracts that weren't with high downsides were taking a hit without house shows and lower merchandise numbers. But they have far more time off, so the Cameo accounts, Twitch accounts and other things of this nature would allow them to make money, and in the case in particular of some of the women, very significant money. But if that was to count against downsides, the fear is that in most cases, the percentage and the way the contract revenue is calculated is that talent is going to end up just getting their downside numbers.

Talent was also told that all third party business relationships that they were told to stop had to be completely finished as of 10/2.

The letter regarding Twitch and Cameo came as a surprise. WWE told us in the case of Twitch and YouTube, that talent was encouraged to use them, but that they could not make money off their WWE names through them since WWE owns those names.

But talent thought what WWE had backed off a little after a number of Tweets by Andrew Yang. Yang noted that he has friends who are talent in WWE who were unhappy over the last turn of events several weeks ago. He said if the Democrats win the election, and he's not Secretary of Labor, he will personally know the person who is and will call them about WWE talent being unfairly labeled independent contractors, with this being a key thing.

A lot of talent believed that the company did not want to get into a battle of talent not being employees when they clearly are, and having the government look into it as possibly mislabeling it and penalties that could go with it. But the e-mail sent this week indicates another change.

It really infuriates me because [WWE has] been trying to play it both ways for years," said Yang in an interview with Chris Van Vliet. "On one hand they are saying, 'You can't do anything and we own you, but you're an independent contractor and we have nothing to do with your health and retirement or any benefits that come as an employee.' They have to make a choice at some point.

"If they are going to control all of these aspects of their performer's lives, then they should take some responsibility for those people, bigger picture. If they have a kid, maybe they get maternity or paternity leave, maybe they get an off-season, maybe they get proper recovery time. I say this as someone who has been a longtime fan of the sport. They are putting their lives and health on the line all the time. They made Vince a billionaire and the fact that he's being so heavy-handed about them making a buck on the side on Cameo just struck me as absurd, ridiculous and wrong. It's past time someone calls Vince out for this, and if Joe and Kamala win, I may be in position to do something about this."

It is widely believed that if the Republicans win then WWE is safe due to the McMahons connection with Donald Trump and the way his administration does everything to allow big businesses to make the largest profits because it's about keeping the Dow Jones average up as the key to everything.

"If your company is worth $3.3 billion (it's market value is up from that level right now) and the way they treat their workers is just shameful. You could have made an argument in the past about costs, but now you can't. It's just plain f***ing greed at this point."

"If you were to ask professional wrestlers, `How many of you would like to be part of the Screen Actors Guild?' I have a feeling you'd see every single hand go up because SAG affords tremendous protections to other actors and actresses who are on screen every day and every week," Yang said to Wrestlinginc.com. "The parallels are almost 100 percent where if you're a professional wrestler, you are inhabiting a character, you are given storylines and plots, in some cases you're given actual lines, you rehearse, you perform in front of a televised audience."

"A lot of it is that wrestlers are afraid to speak out," said Yang. "I've had wrestlers past and present reach out to me and say that Vince has been getting away with exploitation of wrestlers calling themselves independent contractors while controlling their activities for years and years. A lot of it is just that they are a quasi-monopoly, and wrestlers fear that if they do try and unionize or organize in any way that Vince doesn't like, that (they) will never work again."

One talent said, "This is amazing because it's really going to open up the independent contractor issue. All these smart attorneys surrounding Vince and this is the battle he wants?"

They also noted a lot of talent is livid, but as is usually the case in these situations, nobody would speak up about it.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Glad I stopped watching when I felt like they were mocking BLM with their "riot" group or whatever. fuck them, i hope everyone leaves.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks for people who follow them as well, because if you're supporting them because you like them and it's outside the WWE machine, and now it's part of it and your money is going to them again 🙄

They're not just losing money person subscriber and donation, they'll also lose people on the whole who don't want to give WWE their money

Oct 25, 2017
Unionising won't be easy with half the roster being extreme right-wing QAnon loons, but the fact that there is a strong, viable, financially secure North American alternative for the first time in decades does give the wrestlers a huge bargaining chip they didn't have before. The problem is though, despite all the shit that's heaped on them, there still doesn't appear to be anyone willing to stick their neck out.

AEW isn't going to just scoop up every disgruntled WWE talent. Yes there is a competition but the amount of space is only so big.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I remember an old Cena interview when he said that a part of his movies salary goes to the WWE because of the name...so I guess its the same scenario? If you use your WWE name they get a cut?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping this forced a contract renegotiation because I'm sure WWE never had anything that covered this but I know that wish will be unfulfilled.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I can see a lot of wrestlers wanting to unionize only for Vince asskissers like Seth Rollins or Nia Jax immediately notifying Vince, and they'll either be fired or booked in another dancing gimmick/jobber if Vince just wants to keep them from going to the competition.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I remember an old Cena interview when he said that a part of his movies salary goes to the WWE because of the name...so I guess its the same scenario? If you use your WWE name they get a cut?
I think so. I feel like I remember something happen to Steve Austin and he legally changed his name to get around it

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Hogan was never out of the Hall of Fame.

The phrasing was dubiousness but there was a time when all references to hogan, including the hall of fame, were removed.
WWE even used the word "reinstated" when he suprised came back in 2018.
I remember this very well cause I seriously went cold turkey on WWE. Great talent, terrible company. Morally evil.

www.baltimoresun.com

Hulk Hogan reinstated into WWE Hall of Fame after three-year suspension

WWE announced Sunday that Hulk Hogan has been reinstated into its Hall of Fame. “After a three-year suspension, Hulk Hogan has been reinstated into the WWE Hall of Fame,” the WWE said i…

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The phrasing was dubiousness but there was a time when all references to hogan, including the hall of fame, were removed.
WWE even used the word "reinstated" when he suprised came back in 2018.
I remember this very well cause I seriously went cold turkey on WWE. Great talent, terrible company. Morally evil.

www.baltimoresun.com

Hulk Hogan reinstated into WWE Hall of Fame after three-year suspension

WWE announced Sunday that Hulk Hogan has been reinstated into its Hall of Fame. “After a three-year suspension, Hulk Hogan has been reinstated into the WWE Hall of Fame,” the WWE said i…
A "suspension" they never mentioned until the time they claimed it was over and has never been mentioned as a thing that could happen before or since. It was made up to pretend they'd punished him when they thought it had been long enough and wanted to bring him back for those Saudi blood money shows.

Oct 27, 2017
This is entirely in line with what I expect that company to do, but nevertheless it's greedy and unjustified. They are allergic to success outwith their walled garden.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AEW isn't going to just scoop up every disgruntled WWE talent. Yes there is a competition but the amount of space is only so big.

No shit. I'm obviously not suggesting every wrestler could quit and join AEW, but there being a viable alternative helps the wrestlers greatly if they're ever in a position to negotiate a CBA.

Oct 27, 2017
That can't be right. John Cena's legal name is John Cena.
I don't remember what the reasoning was for it but he was talking about how he was okay with them getting a cut of his money. The Rock had a similar interview where he talked about buying his name back from them or something so he didn't have to give them shit from his movies.

They've been doing shit like this for years and they keep pushing and pushing till eventually they push too far, someone sues them, and they settle because there's nothing they fear more than losing a case and having their shitty contracts under scrutiny.

Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll are joking about prima nocta but remember the 90's and early 2000's when he would make Trish Stratus and other women do all kinds of suspect shit? Yeah some of them probably liked flashing the camera but at least one sued them for sexual harassment or whatever and won. I think it was Sable that won against them for that.

Almost every woman on the roster back then was married or dating another wrestler there so him making any of the women do shit with him on camera was very fucked up.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
A "suspension" they never mentioned until the time they claimed it was over and has never been mentioned as a thing that could happen before or since. It was made up to pretend they'd punished him when they thought it had been long enough and wanted to bring him back for those Saudi blood money shows.

No really, he was fired.
I used to watch WWE, and I told everyone, the second he comes back I'm done with WWE.
He came back and I bailed. And This was really big news. WWE obviously lied because they brought him back.
But this really did happen.

WWE has cut ties with wrestler Hulk Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, Variety has confirmed.

"WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan)," the organization said in a statement on Friday. "WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide."

variety.com

Hulk Hogan Terminated by WWE, Apologizes for Using N-Word: ‘This Is Not Who I Am’

UPDATED: WWE has cut ties with wrestler Hulk Hogan, whose real name is Terry Bollea, Variety has confirmed. “WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan),” the organization said in a statement on Friday. “WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all...