• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
300 posts in a thread.. with no information.. just speculation and attacks. Yikes.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
300 posts in a thread.. with no information.. just speculation and attacks. Yikes.

There is information. Wrestlers weren't allowed to leave the country and it had nothing to do with the plane or weather. What else do people need to know to know this is a shitty situation that an employer should never leave their workers in.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I love that the whole point of these stupid things was to say "look, we're not loons who'll just murder or kidnap you on a whim anymore! We're different! We're hip and up to date, come work with us!"

Now the message seems to be "Hey, at the very least we'll only go back to our loony kidnapping ways after three or four shows!"

painey

Oct 27, 2017
There is information. Wrestlers weren't allowed to leave the country and it had nothing to do with the plane or weather. What else do people need to know to know this is a shitty situation that an employer should never leave their workers in.
the only real information added since the OP is that it sounds like Vince McMahon didn't actually leave after the rest of the talent was stopped, resulting in 2 pages of redundant shitting on him for abandoning them after he found out they were fucked.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm not disagreeing with that. That's exactly what I'm saying -- I'm saying the talent didn't really have a choice in the matter, so saying it serves *them* right feels a bit ass backwards to me. The company itself isn't gonna take much of a hit from this unless the PR optics of it grow to be worse than doing deals with Saudi Arabia already is.
Ah, maybe I wasn't clear.

I was saying it serves the WWE right (IE, corporate, not the talent).

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, sorry to be an ass folks, I genuinely am surprised people are so passionate about wrestling. I really thought it was something people just watched ironically these days. Food for thought.
There is a wrestling thread on the front page every fucking day.

Wrestling is weird entertainment. But people here and elsewhere like it. We appreciate many of the performers. They don't do it to be ironic. They do it because they love it.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm not disagreeing with that. That's exactly what I'm saying -- I'm saying the talent didn't really have a choice in the matter, so saying it serves *them* right feels a bit ass backwards to me. The company itself isn't gonna take much of a hit from this unless the PR optics of it grow to be worse than doing deals with Saudi Arabia already is.
What do you mean the talent doesn't have a choice? Other's have refused to go. Hell, technically, they're not even employees - they're contract workers. They absolutely have choices on the matter.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
the only real information added since the OP is that it sounds like Vince McMahon didn't actually leave after the rest of the talent was stopped, resulting in 2 pages of redundant shitting on him for abandoning them after he found out they were fucked.

I don't think it matters whether he knew before he left. He took his workers to a country that he could not guarantee that they could safely leave. That is inexcusable.

Oct 25, 2017

Vince, Steph, and Hunter are still pieces of shit. Him staying back doesn't change that story

They willing took money from the saudi government in exchange for being a propaganda arm for them. They're souless, awful people.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
So will this be the next excuse for when tonight's smackdown tanks in the ratings?

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
So Vince did in fact stay? Well the dude is fucking crazy but even still I wouldn't think he would abandon them.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
This is absolutely going to end with a Tweet from Trump saying he made a phone call and cleared everything up.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Don't tell me you went and bought a jet....
It was an impulse buy

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So wait this is not a technical or logistic problem but they are forbidden to leave ? humm.. Sounds problematic to me, i mean even if that's the government decision, you don't keep people from leaving your country like that if they are not under arrest or something ..

I'm always worried that collaboration with this country ends in a drama, especially when you hear isis has voiced his anger with the situation before and you're not sure what are their relation with the government exactly, or how the security is handled etc.. This is a messy environment.
In a way we all agree those "advancements" are pr bullshit, but at the same time, you can be sure some people in that region are not happy at all with wwe being there.

Only people with actual pull in the company like Cena and Bryan can refuse.

Hope the talent makes it out okay, fuck WWE for putting them in this situation in the first place.

And Kevin Owens i guess ? But that always makes me think, why aren't more people deciding to say no then if he can.. That said when you think about it it could very well stop his long term push. I mean what if he's champion and he don't go at Crown Jewel ? You need the champion there for a match..

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
What do you mean the talent doesn't have a choice? Other's have refused to go. Hell, technically, they're not even employees - they're contract workers. They absolutely have choices on the matter.

Yes, of course, on paper, they have choices, and I'm not casting this in some black or white stance, but sometimes that takes a backseat to necessity, perceived or real.

Many of them aren't skilled in other industries, many of them aren't people that AEW would be interested in, many of them aren't the type of workrate style wrestlers that the indies or Japan will pay large sums for, etc. So if it's down to food on the table, then no, many of them do not have choices, or may be under the impression (whether that's erroneous or not) that they do not have a choice.

Of course John Cena, Daniel Bryan, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn can say no. I can understand why maybe a No Way Jose might not perceive themselves to have that level of sway, even if they probably could.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
If I was one of the wrestlers who was left behind while Vince bounced I'd probably ask for my release the moment I get the fuck out of SA.

Yep... honestly though.. I'm not sure I'd go into a situation like that for my job. Problem is it takes some bravery to just quit your job too (which is scarier, definitely losing your job or possibility of a worse fate in another country but it's not a definite). I really can't blame the wrestlers for making that choice. I'd blame Vince for effectively blackmailing them into it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yep... honestly though.. I'm not sure I'd go into a situation like that for my job. Problem is it takes some bravery to just quit your job too (which is scarier, definitely losing your job or possibility of a worse fate in another country but it's not a definite). I really can't blame the wrestlers for making that choice. I'd blame Vince for effectively blackmailing them into it.
Yeah it's a tough choice and for a lot of the mid/low card wrestlers that's a WrestleMania level payday right there.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
God damn between this, death stranding and blizzcon, there wont be enough tea to sip. What the actual fuck?

Fuck you Vince

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Shit like this is why you don't go to countries with hostile governments. Once you step foot on their soil you are completely bound by their rules. This is the same kinda thing that could've happened to the NBA guys in China.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Sami didn't say no. Sami wasn't allowed to go due to his race.

Same for Aleister Black, right? Didn't they not want him coming because of his tattoos?

Everyone is making jokes, but I'm worried for everyone stuck there especially Natty and Lacey. Was there any confirmation on which twelve wrestlers left? I wonder if they stuck everyone they planned on using tonight on that first flight. That'd mean New Day, Revival, Corbin, Reigns, and Wyatt were out of there at the very least. I'm not sure who was on the show because I don't watch these shows.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Mano , algunas de estas respuestas estan locas , I hope they stay safe over there, but some of these replies...

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Sami didn't say no. Sami wasn't allowed to go due to his race.

Right, that's my bad, I mixed something up. I think I crossed wires with Daniel Bryan going to the first one but not the subsequent ones over my memory of Sami. Although he's someone I have a good feeling would probably have said no. Or at the very least donated his earnings like Ali.

AND THEY AGREED TO PAY FOR IT!

And then it will come out later that day that he gave them weapons/money/both and lifted sanctions on someone else as a favor.

Nov 2, 2017
If I was one of the wrestlers who was left behind while Vince bounced I'd probably ask for my release the moment I get the fuck out of SA.

You could ask, but they haven't been granting any of those any time recently.

Seems like the new strategy might be to just tell people to go home. I have no info on this part, but my suspicion is that they then get them to come back by waiving the company's ability to extend their contract by the length of time they sat out.